Scooters to jam session

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BarnabyHooge

Scooters to jam session

Post by BarnabyHooge »

Does anybody ever ride with a guitar? I was thinking one of those back pack type gig bags might work, but I thought I'd see if anyone else had any experience trying it.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

I don't know- I wouldn't do it. I imagine the wind resistance from the neck part of a backpack gig bag would be a pain.

I might try carrying with a gig bag with the body of the guitar resting on the floorboard and the neck coming up between my knees / arms, but I'm not sure that would be so great either.

Good luck if you try it!!
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

Maybe switch to ukulele?
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

I've actually seen it being done before so I know it's possible :)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I see people riding with guitars all the time around here, usually on MCs.

When I was a kid, I thought it was so badass when Prince did that in Purple Rain. Go little man!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
vaderscoot

Post by vaderscoot »

i ride with a pool cue case
BarnabyHooge

Post by BarnabyHooge »

ericalm wrote:I see people riding with guitars all the time around here, usually on MCs.
!
With the backpack type case?
ScooterNewbie

Post by ScooterNewbie »

maybe with an electric, but never an acoustic.
Robbie: You hit two cones back there. Those could have been people... they could have been guests at her wedding!

Sammy: [exasperated] They were *cones*!
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

I say go for it. Just be pay attention to the amount of drag the case is causing and adjust your riding accordingly. I know I'll have to do it someday I'm sure. Definitely use the back pack style case. A one strap gig bag will slide around to much.

DJE
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
zemacar

Sure, with a good case

Post by zemacar »

There are cases that are up to the task, but how much do you have invested in the guitar? Reunion Blues and Colorado Case both make good soft cases. I have an RB gigbag for my guitar and fiberglass cases for my mandolin and fiddle. They all probably are enough protection, so I would not hesitate to take an inexpensive guitar in the RB bag. If the instrument is worth more than the Buddy, I would (and do) take the car.
Look, honey, it matches the dishes.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Isn't this what cartage is for!!?? :lol:

I guess I'd take an inexpensive guitar on my Buddy if I had to... but I can't think of many of my guitars that I'd risk carrying that way. I guess, yes, I value my guitars more than my own safety!!!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

BarnabyHooge wrote:
ericalm wrote:I see people riding with guitars all the time around here, usually on MCs.
!
With the backpack type case?
Most often, yes. I would think that'd work better than a gig bag slung across the shoulder. The guitar would have to sit on the seat and would probably move around a bit.

Now how're you going to cart an amp back and forth? :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

ericalm wrote:
Now how're you going to cart an amp back and forth? :)
Floorboard next to the case of beer!!!
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

jmazza wrote:
I guess I'd take an inexpensive guitar on my Buddy if I had to... but I can't think of many of my guitars that I'd risk carrying that way. I guess, yes, I value my guitars more than my own safety!!!
I was thinking the same thing. . . :? My husband has some guitars from his previous life as a musician that I am sure are worth more than me or small pieces of real estate, so I can't imagine risking that one of them would get mooshed. Heck, I would be terribly sad if my little ghetto guitar would come to some harm from its Buddy ride! :wink: I think that if it came to having to transport a guitar on my Buddy I would definitely want to use a hard case and not the soft case type.

Just my penny and a half worth.
~Celebrate~
heatherkay

Post by heatherkay »

A Fender Blues Jr. amp can be transported on the floor of a Yamaha Vino. I now know this to be a fact.

(apologies for the zombie topic)
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

I've been thinking A LOT about this lately and I've come to the conclusion that others have: my guitars are more important to me than my scooter.

Therefore, when the wife has the car, I will just have to guilt one of my bandmates into coming to get me.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Okay, my husband has a guitar. We have never tried to transport it anywhere...and it probably doesn't have the type of case being talked about here, but for curiousity's sake I took some pictures using my infamous platform. I didn't go to the extent of putting bungies on it, but it's actually more lightweight than what I normally carry on it, so I think it would be doable. I don't think carrying this particular case on the floorboard would be possible...as you can see there as barely any wiggle room, making any turning virtually impossible.

Obviously the Buddy would handle differently, so I'd be careful riding it if carrying this, as this particular case is definitely bulky. I definitely would NOT go on the freeway with this....
Attachments
521.jpg
521.jpg (69.22 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
Group a.jpg
Group a.jpg (122.85 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
heatherkay

Post by heatherkay »

Hub uses a backpack case for his electric guitar. Like I said, the amp was on the floor. He said it actually handled better because the center of gravity was moved down.

ETA -- This was a very short trip and as much a "I wonder if I can do it" thing. For almost any other occasion hauling gear, we'll be using a car.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

I used to see a Vespa parked in front of the Fine and Performing Arts department here on campus with something that looked like a rough sawed half of a surfboard attached upright on the front of the rear rack. I always wondered what it was for until I saw them riding one day with a large string instrument, perhaps a viola or maybe even a cello, strapped upright to that board. If I see it again, I'll snap a picture.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

heatherkay wrote:Hub uses a backpack case for his electric guitar. Like I said, the amp was on the floor. He said it actually handled better because the center of gravity was moved down.

ETA -- This was a very short trip and as much a "I wonder if I can do it" thing. For almost any other occasion hauling gear, we'll be using a car.
What type of music does he play? And where?
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

My lighter-weight bass has a case with backpack straps, but I don't really trust it. I hate riding with backpacks, anyway. The case for my heavier bass (> 14lbs) has no straps. But I've got me one o' these upright fretlesses from Krappy Guitars:

This bass fits nicely into a Cabela's shotgun bag, with the post in the barrel sleeve. However, I don't need to ride down the road looking like Mad Max or something. :D
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
heatherkay

Post by heatherkay »

He has a band called the Dirt Kings. It's mostly original stuff -- sort of Waylon Jennings meets the Black Crowes with some Blind Melon-y sort of undertones. I guess Davey's Uptown is the main place they play right now. Last night, he was just at the jam session at Mike Kelly's Westsider. We live in midtown, so lots of scootable places to go see music.
ScooterLou

Post by ScooterLou »

I use a roadrunner gig bag purchased from guitar center that has backpack type straps. Your guitar neck does stick up in the air like a mast and causes some drag but doesn't affect handling too bad. Not enough to stop me anyway. I carry it on trips of 10 mi.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

heatherkay wrote:He has a band called the Dirt Kings. It's mostly original stuff -- sort of Waylon Jennings meets the Black Crowes with some Blind Melon-y sort of undertones. I guess Davey's Uptown is the main place they play right now. Last night, he was just at the jam session at Mike Kelly's Westsider. We live in midtown, so lots of scootable places to go see music.
Thing I've learned about KC is most places are scootable... just take a while to get there sometimes.

As a group we've been to south to Louisburg, west to Lawrence (I did go to Manhattan once), east to Powell Gardens and north to St Joe.

Been a while since I've been to Davey's.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

pdxrita wrote:I used to see a Vespa parked in front of the Fine and Performing Arts department here on campus with something that looked like a rough sawed half of a surfboard attached upright on the front of the rear rack. I always wondered what it was for until I saw them riding one day with a large string instrument, perhaps a viola or maybe even a cello, strapped upright to that board. If I see it again, I'll snap a picture.
Finally spotted this again! Here's a pic.
Attachments
Optimized-IMG_20111102_125228 (1).jpg
Optimized-IMG_20111102_125228 (1).jpg (108.45 KiB) Viewed 1020 times
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I have a friend who's a symphonic musician. His 'daily driver' bass is worth more than his car (and he drives nice cars). His 'good' bass is worth more than his house.

No effin way would I trust a high-quality stringed instrument to that flimsy-looking POS.

Now I could easily see dropping one of my (worth less than scooter) basses into that Carver surfboard rack..... :)
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

PeteH wrote:I have a friend who's a symphonic musician. His 'daily driver' bass is worth more than his car (and he drives nice cars). His 'good' bass is worth more than his house.

No effin way would I trust a high-quality stringed instrument to that flimsy-looking POS.

Now I could easily see dropping one of my (worth less than scooter) basses into that Carver surfboard rack..... :)
Yeah, I don't think I'd carry anything that's worth that much with this, or on my scooter at all, for that matter. This is a student, though, so chances are, it's not a high quality instrument they're carting around.