Need help from the ladies please.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mulliganal

Need help from the ladies please.

Post by Mulliganal »

I want to get my wife a Corazzo 5.0 jacket as an early Christmas gift but I'm not sure about the sizing. My wife wears like a size '0', which doesn't make any sense to me at all. She's about 5'3" and about 100lbs; my wife is a little exercise machine. I'm thinking the XS jacket will work for her but even the XS seems to be just a tad large based on the online sizing on the Corazzo site.

Are there any ladies around here that wear the 5.0 in a Small or XS? Can you perhaps give me some guidance?
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

I'm 4'10", just a smidgen under 100 lbs and I chose the small 5.0. I tried on the XS and it fit, but without much extra room. Since it's not a lined jacket, if she'd be riding in anything under about 60 degrees, she'll want to wear another layer underneath. With the small, I can wear a fleece jacket as a liner as well as a sweater or other warm winter clothing in truly cold weather. On the other hand, if she will only be riding in nice weather and likes her clothes to fit snugly, an XS would probably be a decent choice. It's really pretty true to size, so you could also take a look at other jackets that she has and use those as a guide.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I can only offer is that Corazzo jackets do fit to size. Based on the description, she does sounds like an extra small unless her shoulders or chest are broader than an average person her size.
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

Thanks ladies, I just ordered an XS for her. I know she's going to really like this jacket and I'll feel a whole lot better knowing she's well protected and visible.
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

I'm sorry I wasn't around the computer when you posted, I hope you don't have any of the issues with the 5.0 that I had. I made a post about it a bit back:
topic20268.html

Granted, being in Hotlanta, I bet you ordered the mesh version of the 5.0- a huge part of the reason I was unhappy with it is that it doesn't break wind and isnt as warm as I think it should be, I needed a winter coat (I didnt get the mesh of course) and I'm assuming it doesn't rain quite as much there, either- so if those things are less concerning for you, it should be good.

Other than poorly designed velcro closures (one being on the stupidly high collar) that stick to everything, it was a comfy, fantastic looking jacket. I hope she loves it!

And yes, they were pretty true to size, even on me.
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Not that size, but it does seem like the xs is what you should get, especially since in Hotlanta (which is what we call it too, we have family there) you won't be wearing major layers underneath most of the time. If she is a size 0 then a small will be a bit bulky on her.

Ps. If you order straight from Corazzo they do have a good return policy. I had to exchange a jacket that was even a closeout model and they exchanged it when I needed a different size.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

LunaP wrote:I'm sorry I wasn't around the computer when you posted, I hope you don't have any of the issues with the 5.0 that I had. I made a post about it a bit back:
topic20268.html

Granted, being in Hotlanta, I bet you ordered the mesh version of the 5.0- a huge part of the reason I was unhappy with it is that it doesn't break wind and isnt as warm as I think it should be, I needed a winter coat (I didnt get the mesh of course) and I'm assuming it doesn't rain quite as much there, either- so if those things are less concerning for you, it should be good.

Other than poorly designed velcro closures (one being on the stupidly high collar) that stick to everything, it was a comfy, fantastic looking jacket. I hope she loves it!

And yes, they were pretty true to size, even on me.
Not to be argumentative, but just to provide a different point of view, it seems like you and I had opposite experiences with the 5.0. I'd say the 5.0 is excellent at blocking wind and it's a great winter jacket. You just have to add something underneath it. I ride year round here in Portland where we do have winter and we definitely have rain... lots and lots of rain. I love my 5.0 and it has served me well through a wide variety of weather conditions. I will agree with you, however, that the collar is higher than I'd prefer and that the velcro could use some improvement. Just wanted to provide another point of view for the OP since this is a gift for his wife. This is one of those YMMV circumstances.
fishoutofwater

Post by fishoutofwater »

pdxrita wrote: I love my 5.0 and it has served me well through a wide variety of weather conditions. I will agree with you, however, that the collar is higher than I'd prefer and that the velcro could use some improvement.
+1, I got my 5.0 about a month ago, and it's awesome - I won't talk about the weather since I live in so cal :roll: but I did notice a drastic difference riding at night with the reflective stripes. Cars give me way more space in every direction, no more getting cut off and they stay way back at stoplights which is nice. I close the velcro when I'm not wearing it, it's really strong and can stick to anything! And I found that the neck fits better if I slide the shoulder protection all the way forward when I put it on.

Hope your wife loves hers as much as I love mine! :D
amy

Post by amy »

Hmmm... I live in Atlanta and our temps are dropping for winter. I was considering the 5.0 and was wondering if it would work well for those cooler temps (we will hit 37 tonight). Or, should I look for some over-the-top Gore-Tex extreme thing?
lilguy

Post by lilguy »

I have a 5.0 and have been wearing that here in Boston. Alone, it's definitely not enough unless it's summer. In these winter temps I have been wearing the 5.0 with my LL Bean GoreTex jacket and the Corazzo underhoody underneath. I'm armored and warm.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

The 5.0 does not have a liner, so alone, no it would not work for 37 degrees. However, in my opinion, it's an excellent windbreaker and outer shell jacket. I wear a zip front fleece jacket under mine and that's enough to keep me warm down into the 40's. When it's colder than that, the clothes that I'm wearing anyhow, like sweaters and long sleeve shirts, in addition to the fleece jacket, keep me warm. You do need to buy it big enough to accommodate the extra layers and of course, the rest of your gear makes a big difference. Make sure you have warm gloves and overpants of some sort. I have a pair of army surplus gortex pants that I pull on over my jeans. A balaclava also helps a lot.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

I live in San Diego and we have winter mornings in the 40s. No, the 5.0 alone wasn't good enough for that. In fact, it's now my "fall" jacket and "spring". I have the mesh speedway for summer and I have a tempeste, max hoody and trench for winter.

If waterproof, it's windproof (in my experience) and well, since at any minute it can rain and soaking wet 5.0 is pretty miserable, I just don't risk non-waterproof in winter months, even in San Diego.

The 5.0 has the elastic sides so it's THE most forgiving Corazzo and I love it. the neck is a little high and yeah, if not velcored that scratches the crap out of my neck but I love it for the not-so-hot-not-so-cold months :)
amy

Post by amy »

lilguy: Do you wear your Gore-Tex jacket over the 5.0? If so, that sounds like a roomy jacket lol

pdxrita: That's good advice - I'll probably layer with some Under Armour Cold Gear (thin hoodies, etc.). I like the fact that the 5.0 can be a year round jacket.

jijifer: Good to know about the Tempeste...I'll have to try on both the 5.0 and Tempeste - and maybe the Trench, which is so totally cute. Luckily we have a shop here that stocks Corazzo.

Thanks! You guys have been very helpful!
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

lilguy wrote:I have a 5.0 and have been wearing that here in Boston. Alone, it's definitely not enough unless it's summer. In these winter temps I have been wearing the 5.0 with my LL Bean GoreTex jacket and the Corazzo underhoody underneath. I'm armored and warm.
I'd have to say that even in Atlanta I feel I need an additional layer when the temps drop, but that's the thing I like about my 5.0. The jacket is perfect for temps down to around 40 (give or take) then when it get's colder I can add a layer and be fine; this way I feel I'll get more use out of the jacker.

Now my legs are another story, I need some additional protection there because my legs sure do get cold.