Windshield for 50cc scooter: need or no need?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

teabow1

Windshield for 50cc scooter: need or no need?

Post by teabow1 »

So the dealer told me that windshields, at least for 50cc scooters are really just an aesthetic thing and has no practical purposes. True or false?

I've been reading that windshields on these kinds of scooters may (depending on model) help to gain 1 or 2mph more. Not significant difference though.

Then I've also been thinking that perhaps sometimes a windshield could be more hassle. I'm imagining riding in the rain and the wiperless windshield makes it difficult to see. True or false?

On the other hand, I also read that windshields help to cut down on wind noise. But then I'm thinking since the 50cc scooter is slow, does the windshield have much of a noise reduction effect?

Your thoughts?
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Personally, I say false. While a 50cc may not go as fast as other scoots and may not gain some of the benefits like reducing fatigue and directing wind flow where being on a faster scooter with one matters more... there are also things like deflection of bugs, debree, and light rain- it will also deflect some of the wind chill away from you.

I definitely advocate windshields- if you aren't sure you will like it, get a nice medium-sized one. It doesn't have to be a huge, crazy tall one to do its job- I love mine. I believe it was around $60 through my dealer, and it was very much worth it- even if I had bought a 50cc scoot, I still would have purchased a windshield- I ride year round and it's definitely served me well.
Lil Buddy

Re: Windshield for 50cc scooter: need or no need?

Post by Lil Buddy »

Just aesthetic / no practical purposes. False

Help to gain 1 or 2mph more. True

Windshield makes it difficult to see. False. Unless you go with a super tall windshield, you should be looking over it, not thru it.

Windshield have much of a noise reduction effect? True or False depending on windshield and rider height. In a perfect world, the windshield should direct the wind up and over your helmet. In many cases it just directs it into your face.

Your thoughts? I installed one on my old Buddy 50. Gained 1mph and increased noise but reduced rider fatigue. I don't have one on my Black Jack. To me it comes down to looks. And I don't have a strong opinion either way on that.
teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

Hey folks, very helpful. Thanks!

I think what I'll do when/if I get my scooter is I can buy it after I've used the scooter for a while. I can see how it can reduce rider fatigue for long rides.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

On any scooter it really depends on where your riding. There is little benefit if all your riding will be done in the city in stop and go traffic. I have a windsheild on my Buddy 50 and it did give me about 1-2mph on the top end but it's there purely because I like how it looks.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid