Time for a new belt?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

omniphil

Time for a new belt?

Post by omniphil »

I have started to notice what I think is belt slippage. When I take off from a stop and get to about 5 mph or so the bike sort of jerks, like the belt is trying to ride up the ramp plate, but instead of it being smooth, its fairly abrupt. Once it jerks like this its fine until I come to a stop again and try to take off.

If I am just cruising at 5 mph or so it sort of keeps jerking like the belt is hunting around.

If I very lightly accelerate it jerks less, if I accelerate hard it jerks fairly hard.

Bad belt? Rollers worn out? (those have about 2000 miles on them)

I have about 3500 miles on the blur...
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Most likely dust/glazing on the rear pulley. Put the scoot on the center stand and (with both hands on the handlebars) carefully spin the rear wheel with the engine. I really give it some welly, and the scoot will "walk" a little bit - that's why both hands are on the handlebars. Do it for just 10 seconds and then see if the take off is smoother. If it's still jumpy, it might require the old fashioned blow out by taking the belt cover off and hitting the area with compressed air. There is a surprising amount of friction on those pulleys and that's why we see the belt turning into dust, and (sadly) lubricating/sticking on the pulleys.

I doubt that your belt is needing replacement - I think that the replacement width is 19mm (it starts out at 21mm).
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
omniphil

Post by omniphil »

Rippinyarn wrote:Most likely dust/glazing on the rear pulley. Put the scoot on the center stand and (with both hands on the handlebars) carefully spin the rear wheel with the engine. I really give it some welly, and the scoot will "walk" a little bit - that's why both hands are on the handlebars. Do it for just 10 seconds and then see if the take off is smoother. If it's still jumpy, it might require the old fashioned blow out by taking the belt cover off and hitting the area with compressed air. There is a surprising amount of friction on those pulleys and that's why we see the belt turning into dust, and (sadly) lubricating/sticking on the pulleys.

I doubt that your belt is needing replacement - I think that the replacement width is 19mm (it starts out at 21mm).
Ok, so while I had the cover off, I could just measure the belt width just to be sure... Good idea... Am I measuring across the back part of the belt?
omniphil

Post by omniphil »

Ok well I just checked the belt today finally. It was 3/4 of an inch which puts me right at 19mm. The belt looks like its in really good condition and I only have about 4000 miles on it.

Is 19mm really the replacement width?
turboscott

Post by turboscott »

omniphil wrote:Ok well I just checked the belt today finally. It was 3/4 of an inch which puts me right at 19mm. The belt looks like its in really good condition and I only have about 4000 miles on it.

Did you find the dust isue?

Did you replace the belt?
Voodoo "BOB" lights, Blur Rear Rack, SHAD SH40 Top Case, Brunton Fuel Cells, Garmin Nuvi with Ram Mount, Go Pro Hero 2 with Mount
omniphil

Post by omniphil »

turboscott wrote:
omniphil wrote:Ok well I just checked the belt today finally. It was 3/4 of an inch which puts me right at 19mm. The belt looks like its in really good condition and I only have about 4000 miles on it.

Did you find the dust isue?

Did you replace the belt?
I did clean it out, I noticed that the 3 plastic u-shaped guides in the variator were a little worn and had some melting from heat, so I cut away the melted portions and cleaned the whole variator assembly up, every things moves pretty smooth now. even though the belt is almost at 19mm, the belt looks fine. its only got 3000 or so miles on it. So it runs good now. However the scooter just clearly isn't design for mainly highway use everything seems to wear out so quickly. I sadly traded it in. I'll miss that little scooter for sure...