On vacation; I found a scooter shop!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

On vacation; I found a scooter shop!

Post by ericalm »

I'm currently visiting beautiful Napa Valley in Northern CA with the missus, who's attending a conference. I had some solo free time today so decided to "get lost" and head for the mountains. I was disheartened not to have a scooter or MC to ride, but that's what I get for not planning that out a bit better.

I disappeared for a bit up in the Mayacamas mountains, driving some gorgeous twisty roads that I plan to revisit on 2 wheels someday. After paying homage to Jack London in Glen Ellen (and discovering that Jack London State Recreational Area is closed on Tuesdays!), I came down into Sonoma and was just ambling along when I spotted a lot of scooters. At first I thought it was just a coffee stand, but it turns out it's a coffee stand/scooter shop and the local Genuine dealer, Sorrento Imports.

The folks there were super friendly and I chatted a bit with one of the owners (I assume) about the Stella 4T and barn finds in the area. (Yes, they're still out there!)

The shop, like most of everything in this region, is totally charming. My wife is ready to retire here. I just want to come back and RIDE.

Sorrento Imports!

They told me they sell sidecar rigs for Stellas as fast as they can get 'em! They also had a Cozy sidecar on an orange Vespa S 150.

Cushman hot dog cart, a rescued and restored barn find.

My two big weaknesses: scooters and gelato.

Miles and miles and miles of twisty mountain roads flanked by forests and vineyards. I could spend weeks riding around up here. Maybe years.

No scooter? I highly recommend a small Volvo. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
beastmaster

Post by beastmaster »

mmmm gelato
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

That's the best part of "vacation"! Great pictures! I love the Cushman hot dog cart. There was a great Cushman scooter rescue on American Pickers last year, and it was so ugly that it was cute!
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

I'm glad that you had a good time. Nice pics.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Cool little joint! digging the hot dog cart:)
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

I can't believe I'm shilling for these guys, but........
http://www.eaglerider.com/rentals/scooter-rentals.aspx rents scooters in the Bay Area, and Hardleys.....
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

The hod dog cart is soo cool! Why doen't some one make a front l two wheeler for commercal use? The Bajaj three wheeler wasn't around long enough to make an impression. R
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Yeah, I drive by that scooter store every once and awhile. But they used to only have cheap China stuff. I haven't stopped by in a couple years. I guess I should. I only live about an hour and a half away. My Dad's house is only about 30 minutes away.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

This is begging for a 2-wheeled road trip in the not too distant future!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

still shifting wrote:The hod dog cart is soo cool! Why doen't some one make a front l two wheeler for commercal use? The Bajaj three wheeler wasn't around long enough to make an impression. R
On the next Monster Garage, Jesse James turns an MP3 500 into a monster hot dog cart....
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
easy

Post by easy »

I just took abt a 400 mile trip to Barber Vintage Motorsport Museum near Birmingham Al. They got 1200 bikes and a dozen or so vintage formula 1 cars on display. They had a military cushman that was similar to the hotdog scoot.
what did you trade the day for?
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Coffee and scooters in the same place??? Match made in heaven?
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

rsrider wrote:I can't believe I'm shilling for these guys, but........
http://www.eaglerider.com/rentals/scooter-rentals.aspx rents scooters in the Bay Area, and Hardleys.....
I've rented from Eaglerider in SF before and had a pretty decent experience. Up here there were a couple places I could've rented from but what it came down to was transport to the shop/rental place and back! The bus route from St. Helena to Santa Rosa (where the Vespa shop does rentals) was shut down last year. So I'd either be paying a buttload for a taxi or trying to figure out what to do with my car. The logistics just didn't work out. I could've planned for it better.

Next time, I'll just ride my own dang scooter up here! Heck, I'd even trailer up.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…