Deer! In the RIC & ElseVAhere

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Deer! In the RIC & ElseVAhere

Post by jrsjr »

Wow! Before it snowed, we were up on Skyline Drive at Big Meadows and stopped to look at the deer way over yonder in the meadows, and the next thing we knew, there were deer beside us, then there were deer behind us, then everywhere around us. Then, this morning's RIC traffic report was all about multiple crashes involving... deer. So, um, be careful out there, especially in Central VA. Like we didn't already have enough to worry about with distracted (or otherwise impaired) drivers, right? :roll:
Last edited by jrsjr on Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chinaski

Post by chinaski »

Lots of deer here in Indiana. Usually whenever you see one there is almost ALWAYS more ready to jump out.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

I had a pair of them cross about 40 feet in front of me last week (evening time). I was expecting them, since I had seen them in the area before and in years past-around the same time of year. No one was behind me, and I had already slowed to about 25mph. I actually stopped in the middle of the street, to let them across. When they were a good 10 feet onto the other side I gunned it to get them going up the hill a bit.

Ride safe!
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

This guy hit a deer going 50 on PCX scooter. :shock: http://www.clubpcx.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=600

goota be careful out there.
TVB

Post by TVB »

One time riding just after sunset, buzzing along at about 35mph, I was passed by a pickup truck with... let's call it "ample" headlights. When he was about 50 yards ahead of me, I saw his brake lights come on and heard him skid to a halt. As I got closer, in the light of his headlights I saw several deer cross the road. With the... let's call it "modest" output of the Buddy's headlight, I might not have seen them in time to stop like he did.
Last edited by TVB on Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

A month or so ago, we ran into somebody at Scoot Richmond that it turned out Lokky knew from Modern Vespa who ran into a deer on his GT-... something. Miraculously, he was fine. Not even a broken finger :roll:
heatherkay

Post by heatherkay »

I took my scoot in for its 500 mile well-baby checkup. One guy working there turned to the other guy working there and said "make sure you get a picture of the deer hair on the scoot. He needs it for his insurance claim." Someone had a bad day.

We have three or four young bucks that tend to hang out in the wooded areas around our house. Sometimes they get confused and hang out in the road. I've just gotten used to driving or riding slowly with high beams until I get out to the main road.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

my deer story... Wifey and I just finished strawberrry picking last spring, taking a scenic route back to the city. We turned off a country road onto busy US-17 just south of Paris, Virginia. Just when we made our turn, a behemoth bolted across the road, about 100 feet in front of us. It was easily a 16 pointer mountain of muscle. The massive creature bolted across the highway and into the thick corn in less then 5 seconds.
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

Deer dont come down by the town to often. the things we have to worry about are those pesky Javelinas!
Last edited by scootavaran on Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I caught a massive 12 pointer off the side of the road in my scooter headlights. He was calmly waiting for me to pass. I guess that's why he made it to 12 points so far. Smart.

The foals and juveniles are the unpredictable ones in my experience. There were a bunch on the side of the road in broad daylight one time when I was in my SUV. I slowed from 50 MPH to 20 MPH as I passed them. RIGHT when I was going by, one jumped directly in front of me. I hit the brakes immediately and stopped within 3 feet. Unfortunately that 3 feet was right on top of the deer. So I had no choice but to keep driving over him with my front tire so I wouldn't be parked on top of him. He was a goner and in pain. I drove to the nearest neighborhood and was running from house to house asking for a gun. Talk about no one wanting to open their door. I'm surprised no one called the cops on me.

Fortunately, an off duty cop was driving by and saw the injured deer in the middle of the road and put it out of it's misery with his pistol. I found that out from a driver pulling into the neighborhood when I stopped them and asked for a gun. :wha: :goofy:
chinaski

Post by chinaski »

scootavaran wrote:Deer dont come down by the town to often. the things we have to worry about are those pesky Havalinas!
Or the elusive chupacabra. Those things can be a handful!
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

chinaski wrote:
scootavaran wrote:Deer dont come down by the town to often. the things we have to worry about are those pesky Havalinas!
Thats just silly, everyone knows chupacabras aren't real. Bigfoots (bigfeet?) on the other hand....those things are evrywhere!
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

scootavaran wrote:
chinaski wrote:
Thats just silly, everyone knows chupacabras aren't real. Bigfoots (bigfeet?) on the other hand....those things are evrywhere!
It's Yhetti season up here! Good thing we have Yukon Cornelius living down the street.
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

scootavaran wrote:
chinaski wrote:Or the elusive chupacabra. Those things can be a handful!
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/laoDutE2cs0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've killed a Chupacabra!