Speeding Ticket, no Motorcycle Endorsement

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ComboOrgan

Speeding Ticket, no Motorcycle Endorsement

Post by ComboOrgan »

I'm not sure what to do, and I'd like to solicit some opinions.

I got caught speeding on my scooter. I was measured at 56 in a 30, but the cop only wrote the ticket for 40 in a 30.

My usual instinct is to go to court and try to fight it, since the cop often doesn't show, and I'd get off scott-free.

This is complicated by the fact that I don't have my motorcycle endorsement. This wasn't noted on the ticket, but I'm not sure if that charge can be added

Can i be charged with having no endorsement if I just plea guilty? Can I be charged with no endorsement if I try to fight it?

What's the penalty for driving with no endorsement?
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

Its going to depend on the location really. I heard plenty of stories of people riding around with just a learners on their own at night, getting pulled over and it no be an issue. One guy was riding on an expired learners and got into a crash and it wasn't an issue. No idea about MI tho.
Now let me ask you, and pleas understand I am not trying to lecture you, why do you not have your license yet? Do you have a learners and are waiting for the 30 days period to take your test? Have you not started proceedings at all? If so why?do you have your insurance and registration straightened out?

Also, I must ask you why you were doing 56 in a 30. I'm asking this as someone who, having grown up in Milan, Italy, is usually riding over the speed limit himself. 56 in a 30 might be really excessive tho, I am sure there is a reason that road has a limit of 30 and not 55. You need to remember that things can jump out last minute and take you out, whether it is an animal, debris, a parked car or a person, the road you are diving on simply isn't made for that speed, hence the sped limit. Again, not trying to lecture, just trying to make you aware of the danger you are putting yourself and possibly other in.

As far as going to court to plead guilty, the best way to go about it is to get your license now. If it bcomes an issue that you were driving without on, the fact that you went and fixed that is gonna play in your favour. If you dont have your learners permit yet and you won't get your license in time for court sign up for a motorcycle safety foundation course. Upon completion you will be given w card that if brought to the DMV automatically converts into a license. The course also grants savings on your insurance and teaches many skills and a safe and mature mindset towards riding. If i were you I'd sign up for it regardless as its a good weekend of fun, you get to learn how to ride a manual (which can always be useful), and provides so many learning moments that you might miss otherwise.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

If the lack of motorcycle endorsement was not noted on the ticket, you lucked out. Pay the ticket. Get the motorcycle endorsement.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

A quick google search told me that the TIP (temporary instruction permit) in Michigan is good for 180 days.

I have no idea how lenient the law may be. It may just vary by context. If you were on day 181 and it *just* expired, one judge may let it slip and another might not care ('expired is expired.') If you were on day 200, who knows. But you weren't ticketed on that, you were caught speeding. So I'd guess the 'nice judge' wouldn't be so nice if you were already doing something wrong.

You could have been tagged with reckless driving or much worse than just speeding, so you got off easy once on that. That's huge.

You could have been knocked hard for being unlicensed. That slipped by. (via quick google search) it's at least a misdemeanor to be driving without endorsement there. Also, very huge.

In my opinion, I would consider you very, very lucky. If the cop hadn't let you off ridiculously easy...you could very well be facing jail time and fines.
(Reckless driving is also a misdemeanor, charge can be up to 93 days in jail and $500 per that one charge. Both charges combined...?)

So yes, you were amazingly lucky, both for not getting ticketed fully now and not getting caught before. 56 in a 30 without a license, you should be doing a happy dance that you just got a measly speeding ticket rather than two misdemeanor charges and who knows how much in fines.

Don't trust your instinct in this, it already let you down. Pay the fine via mail and go get your license.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Getting ticketed STINKS and most people don't have the money for it, so I understand the want to fight it... but I really have to say that you are already very lucky on this one. The cop reduced the speed on the ticket already, and didn't note your lack of endorsement on there. You are already coming out ahead in this, considering you were indeed speeding and deserved to be ticketed.

And please understand that I'm not trying to be mean by saying that. I do stuff that could get me ticketed all the time- namely park on the sidewalk even though I'm a 170cc with plates. If I got ticketed for that, it would SUCK because I don't really have the money for a ticket. So, logically, why am I doing it anyway?? Because I've been spoiled and getting away with it so far... but, I'd deserve it, and I wouldn't really try and fight it.

As for being charged with no endorsement- do you mean you have a motorcycle learner's of some type, but not the actual endorsement yet? If so, I don't think they would charge you for that. I've never heard of it here, anyway- I was riding on a learner's until I broke my finger.

OR, do you mean you have no motorcycle learner's and haven't started the process yet? If that's the case then you got very lucky and had either an inattentive or extremely nice cop. Here, I don't *THINK* the judges are allowed to ADD charges to the tickets cops turn it, just adjust them down or dismiss them as they see fit- but I can't speak for your state or locality. And if you mean you were riding entirely unlicensed on a scoot that is most certainly more than 50cc because it was able to go 56... well... that's a whole different issue ENTIRELY.
Last edited by LunaP on Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

A lack of endorsement just means you don't have your full license yet. I would need to have more info on your case to give any judgement. Was this infringement during the day or at night? Any which way, if you were speeding and you KNOW you were, and got caught, then pay the fine. I really doubt there's gonna be any jail time for that. Or you can fight it and try to beat it cos the most that's gonna happen is you having to pay the fine.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

If you weren't ticketed at the stop for not having a license, they can't peg you for it now.

Can you do defensive driving in lieu of the fine?

There are also many ticket lawyers who will get rid of them for a flat fee.

You got lucky, though—this could have been a much bigger hit if you'd been ticketed for 56 in a 30 and no license. Lesson learned, maybe?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

I'd say take your lumps. You're not even allowed to be riding UNLESS riding with someone with a Motorcycle License (and that's IF you have a permit)

You're lucky this is it.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

@Combo Organ: Do You at least have you permit? Or no motorbike license at all?
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I think you lucked out, especially since you know you were speeding. Count your blessings and pay the fine (and take traffic school if offered to drop the points).

Trust me, I can't stand it when I get tickets WHEN I WASN"T BREAKING THE LAW! And I've gotten more than my fair share of those. So I'm all for fighting BS tickets. But in this case you were guilty. Don't fight it. Live and learn.
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

Lokky wrote:Its going to depend on the location really. I heard plenty of stories of people riding around with just a learners on their own at night, getting pulled over and it no be an issue. One guy was riding on an expired learners and got into a crash and it wasn't an issue. No idea about MI tho.
Now let me ask you, and pleas understand I am not trying to lecture you, why do you not have your license yet? Do you have a learners and are waiting for the 30 days period to take your test? Have you not started proceedings at all? If so why?do you have your insurance and registration straightened out?

Also, I must ask you why you were doing 56 in a 30. I'm asking this as someone who, having grown up in Milan, Italy, is usually riding over the speed limit himself. 56 in a 30 might be really excessive tho, I am sure there is a reason that road has a limit of 30 and not 55. You need to remember that things can jump out last minute and take you out, whether it is an animal, debris, a parked car or a person, the road you are diving on simply isn't made for that speed, hence the sped limit. Again, not trying to lecture, just trying to make you aware of the danger you are putting yourself and possibly other in.

As far as going to court to plead guilty, the best way to go about it is to get your license now. If it bcomes an issue that you were driving without on, the fact that you went and fixed that is gonna play in your favour. If you dont have your learners permit yet and you won't get your license in time for court sign up for a motorcycle safety foundation course. Upon completion you will be given w card that if brought to the DMV automatically converts into a license. The course also grants savings on your insurance and teaches many skills and a safe and mature mindset towards riding. If i were you I'd sign up for it regardless as its a good weekend of fun, you get to learn how to ride a manual (which can always be useful), and provides so many learning moments that you might miss otherwise.
Indeed... I got ticketed some time back for driving on an expired license (simply forgot, d'oh!). Soon as I knew my goof (and got the ticket), I went to the DMV, and I corrected the issue. When I finally got my notice to appear in court, I showed up on the indicated date and time at the indicated location (actually showed up early by over an hour), got to talk to a prosecutor, told him what I did, and he immediately told me that, given my swift actions, he would dismiss my case. Which he did, when my name came up (still had to sit in the courtroom till then). Only ended up out ten bucks for parking.
theflash784

Speeding Ticket, no motorcycle endorcement

Post by theflash784 »

I would suggest paying the ticket. The officer already gave a break on the speed and didn't write you for not having the endorcement. He could have impounded your scooter if he really wanted to ruin your day so you were pretty lucky. I worked for a police dept for over 30 years and I don't get where people think the police don't show up for court. You would be disciplined by our dept if you didn't make court. Most court was overtime- especially if you worked the late shifts and we didn't want to miss the OT.
izark47

Post by izark47 »

It is my opinion that it is a game I play with the police, and it just so happens I lost when i got a ticket. so i buck up and pay it, I was going over the speed limit and the ticket was justified. What i don't get is people that try and get out of it. Even though the guy did not live by Berretta's creed, I do. "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime!"
Born to be Mild!!!