small passengers

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mr.FixIt

small passengers

Post by Mr.FixIt »

Scooting Gurus,

Here's a bit of a debate question.

My son (age 7) loves the scooter. We have a full-face helmet that fits him appropriately. If he dresses with the right clothes I have taken him no farther than the neighborhood in which we live.

So how young is too young to go for a ride? My wife would never forgive me if he got injured. He sits still in the seat and holds on tight.

Anyone else with kids take them out for a ride?
Attachments
Dad, when can we go for a ride?
Dad, when can we go for a ride?
Fin-n-Stella-questions.jpg (117.99 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
Eric
(aka Mr. Fix It)
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

I started riding with my girl when she was age 4. She rode in front of me holding onto the bars where the mirrors attach on a Honda Elite 80. She rode with a full face helmet, jacket, gloves, jeans and boots. She moved her hands to the grips and finally began controlling the throttle at about 6 years. She moved to the back of the scoot' at about this time. Her confidence, calm and security were the reasons that I trusted her as much as I did. What huge fun we had!
She's been riding our 170i on her own since she turned about 10. Not on the road. In parking lots with no one around. She now has her M1 and rides whenever possible when home from college.
Be there for them and they'll be fine.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

As long as he holds on to YOU, and not the strap across the seat. I wouldn't trust that thing with the weight of a person on the line.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

It's very cool that your son likes to scooter. I take my two grandchildren (ages 7 & 8) occasionally, but they rarely ask me for a ride, so I'm a little jealous that your son is so enthusiastic. In fact, in my family, I am the only one interested in the scooter at all. This completely baffles me as riding the scooter is a joy for me.
I had the same questions about children passengers that you have. In Minnesota, I believe the passenger (child or adult) must be able to rest their feet on the foot supports. If they can do that, they are old/big enough. (My grandson could not do that and I still took him very slowly around the neighborhood. He held on appropriately)
I would slowly introduce your son to the whole scooter experience, on safe, fairly slow, quiet roads. Sounds to me like you are plenty cautious and are dressing the child appropriately, etc. I think you're lucky to have a son who shares an interest.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Sorry about my previous post error. The grandchildren are 7 and 8 yrs. old. Not sure how I hit the happy button.
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

My kids started riding younger than 7. I would just wedge them between the backrest and my back on my Vespa so they really couldn't move.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

In Oregon a passenger has to be able to reach the passenger foot pegs to be legal. I know there are also some riding belts, foot loops, and the like available for child riders, but do not know if they meet legal requirements. This is a very personal question and I hesitate to advise someone else given what is at stake. If other requirements are meet, I'd have the same advice I have for myself - good helmet, eye protection, gloves, ankle high boots, sturdy pants, etc.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

I strapped a baby carrier to the passenger seat for the ride home from the hospital.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

As long as the passenger can touch the floor or pegs (I have the passenger flip out pegs from my old Buddy still) all is good. Let me make one suggestion-look into a Grip N Ride belt. My wife will not ride on the back of any 2 wheeler without me wearing one. Great confidence booster for passengers.
Mr.FixIt

Post by Mr.FixIt »

For Pennsylvania, I think I found the answer finally. It helped to join the AMA and get access to some handy information.

Footpegs / floorboards must exist for a passenger, but it doesn't say they have to be able to reach them. Adventure HO!

Pennsylvania Passenger Age Restriction: None

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/L ... 4.000..HTM
§ 3524. Footrests and handhold.
Any motorcycle carrying a passenger, other than in a sidecar or enclosed cab, shall be equipped with footrests and handhold for the passenger.
(Dec. 9, 2002, P.L.1278, No.152, eff. 60 days)
Eric
(aka Mr. Fix It)
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Just keep in mind kids can fall asleep anywhere anytime!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL