Mirrors -- replacements for OEM

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

siobhan

Mirrors -- replacements for OEM

Post by siobhan »

I know, I know, yet another mirror thread. But the camel's back was broken tonight and I can no longer tolerate the crappy stock mirrors (it's been 3 1/2 years so I did give them the college try). They're rusty despite the coats of WD-40. They don't actually show me anything behind me except my lovely shoulders. One is stuck and can no longer be adjusted. Now the other one got stuck under a 2x4 tonight and doesn't want to adjust (long story).

Show me your non-stock mirrors!
Post pics so we can all see what they look like.

1. I don't have a windshield and won't be getting one.
2. I tried the 8mm to 10mm adapters from the guy on eBay. The idea was to use the after-market mirrors from my DRZ. All was fine until the RAM ball got stuck and I couldn't get it out, making the Dizz only have one mirror. Plus, I couldn't get the adapter tightened down so the mirror was loose.
3. The Yamaha mirrors are really ugly.
4. Do I want to try bar-ends? I like them on the BMW but I don't know on the scoot.

Will someone just tell me what I should get? Oh, and they can't cost a ton of money 'cos I'm pretty skint right now.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

siobhan wrote:The Yamaha mirrors are really ugly.
Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. On the other hand the Yamaha mirrors have much better chrome plating than the OEM Genuine mirrors and their teardrop shape actually allows you to see past your shoulder.
Attachments
Vino mirror.jpg
Vino mirror.jpg (26.7 KiB) Viewed 3719 times
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Dooglas, I always thought they only came in black. What an idiot.

Hmmmm. They're a direct fit, eh?
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

I have similar issues with mine, but since I've been more worried about getting my gear straightened out I haven't truly toyed with the idea until the last few days. I know that I'd really like a different shape- I wanted ovals, but nobody seems to make those exactly.

I'm looking at these teardrops, which look too short, but I love how they can be adjusted at different angles. I also then found these rounds. I know you said you hate black... I don't really have chrome on my girl, it's all matte black instead of chrome, so I'm toying with the idea of matching if I switch. I think the black will get less scratchy and rusty (hoping).

I definitely want something super adjustable though. I'm gonna have to do some more looking, I think.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Thanks for the replies, but any other ideas?
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Well, I would like to add something like this and remove my DOT turn signals and leave my deadlights as running lights.

.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

Tocsik wrote:Well, I would like to add something like this and remove my DOT turn signals and leave my deadlights as running lights.
With a Universal Flasher Relay and BOB Combo Adapter, your deadlights can function as running lights/blinkers even with the DOT signals removed. Not that I advise said illegal actions. :twisted:

My mirrors:
Attachments
VoodooScooterParts.com.jpg
VoodooScooterParts.com.jpg (190.47 KiB) Viewed 3615 times
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Lil Buddy wrote:
Tocsik wrote:Well, I would like to add something like this and remove my DOT turn signals and leave my deadlights as running lights.
With a Universal Flasher Relay and BOB Combo Adapter, your deadlights can function as running lights/blinkers even with the DOT signals removed. Not that I advise said illegal actions. :twisted:

My mirrors:
Of course. But with the turn signals spread apart on the mirrors, local PoPo couldn't ticket you for using the stock lights as blinkers since they are too close together for DOT regs.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Mtlgrlie

Post by Mtlgrlie »

Hey Lil buddy, where'd did you get them? Were they easy to install?

I'd love a meaner look for my BJ Lola.

My partners Pamplona also needs new mirrors.....no longer adjusts!

Keep posting guys!
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

I got them off ebay.

Here is a great how-to:

topic4495.html
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

I found this link buried in the mentioned thread. These even fold in when not being used, or ("automatically") if you are riding in close quarters.

I might have to check these out....
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I am just too scared to mess with my scooter. It is officially off warranty so I can if I want to but....I truly would like different mirrors for my Dobby. I have already replaced both mirrors once with stock but I cannot see how they will last . Not sure though if I want to invest any more into this scooter until I am absolutely sure I will not be able to find a maxi for short person.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

michelle_7728 wrote:I found this link buried in the mentioned thread.
Yeah, I found those when looking for my bar ends. But at $180, I didn't even give them a thought. I'm happy with my $25 pair.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Yep, I've got the eBay cheapies (ca. $25) and the same bicycle grips as dalvorado. Couldn't be happier with the look with the Italia colors.

I have a gate through which I must navigate twice each day (morning and evening), so I was a little hinky about the fancier CRG mirrors, even if they do fold in. I haven't broken the cheapies yet, although I've bumped them out of adjustment a little once or twice. Maybe Santa will bring me the folding mirrors. :)
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

ok kids, thanks for the comments. I still can't see a thing behind me as I consider what I'll replace the stock mirrors with. I'm leaning toward the Vinos as I'd need the foldable bar-ends and I don't think Santa (aka the b/f) would be too happy with the price. Plus I'm holding out for bar-risers for the Dizz.
bilyum

Show me your non-stock mirrors

Post by bilyum »

Be careful of eBay mirrors, I bought some and not only was shipping costly and slow but they were JUNK...not even good plastic,,,cra-!Buy only if recommended by trusted source that has bought some.
Definitely stay away from Asian stores...too hard to return.
"what another person can do, I can do (maybe!)"
bilyum
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

siobhan wrote:ok kids, thanks for the comments. I still can't see a thing behind me as I consider what I'll replace the stock mirrors with. I'm leaning toward the Vinos as I'd need the foldable bar-ends and I don't think Santa (aka the b/f) would be too happy with the price. Plus I'm holding out for bar-risers for the Dizz.
I thought at first that I would need folding bar-ends as I have a gate to go through, but I've put a full season on non-folders from eBay with no issues.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Fargo Rollin

Post by Fargo Rollin »

So are the long OEM mirrors from the scooter lounge not well liked? I have an 06 buddy with the short mirrors and I've gotten tired of pulling in my arms to see what's behind me. Just wondering if there are any problems with the long mirrors that come stock on 08 and later buddies?
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

The stock 08'+ "long" mirrors are not great. They rust easily and loosen(and are a pain to fix), requiring removal of the thin glass.
2 > 4
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Chilly wrote:The stock 08'+ "long" mirrors are not great. They rust easily and loosen(and are a pain to fix), requiring removal of the thin glass.
exactly, they suck! The left one shattered when I tried to remove the glass and tighten the pivot nut underneith it. Now I'm down to just a right mirror which is rusting, and I've been putting off buying a new set in fear of getting some crap ones on Ebay. I really need to just get the Blur mirrors!

Try riding with just 1 mirror, or worse yet, with none, it's a bitch.
EastAtlantaScoot

Post by EastAtlantaScoot »

Impulse buy. Just ordered the CRG set. I'll post some pics when I get them mounted.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

I FINALLY made a decision and ordered the Yamaha C3 OEM mirrors from Cheap Cycle Parts. Order placed Sunday night, shop not open Monday, "It's shipped, here's tracking" email on Wednesday, carefully packaged box received Friday by USPS. Everything was in stock (I added a bunch of Honda parts to the order).

To say I was excited slipping those black beauties out of the Genuine Yamaha Mirrors Assy box would be an understatement. A big 'thank you' to everyone who offered suggestions in this thread and this other thread (the one that persuaded me to try the C3 mirrors).

I wasn't sold on the black but I'm switching out all the body panels on my St. Tropez to black/custom painted, so I figured why not. Well, lemme tell ya, the black with the blue of the St. Tropez looks hawwwwt.

OEM Buddy mirrors = $50
crappy quality, rust easily (I ride in weather), always getting loose on the stem

OEM Yamaha C3 mirrors = $16.18
far superior quality compared to stock Buddy mirrors, decent view, look hot

5SU-F6280-00-00 Yamaha REAR VIEW MIRROR ASSY (LEFT)

5SU-F6290-00-00 Yamaha REAR VIEW MIRROR ASSY (RIGHT)

HowHH

Post by HowHH »

Pics of those on the scooter? I picked up some similar looking mirrors on Ebay, but I would be interested in good quality mirrors that provide decent side and rear views. Those are very reasonably priced for Japanese OEM.
Last edited by HowHH on Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

I know siobhan doesn't have a windshield, but does anyone have a pair of those Yamaha C3 mirrors that DOES have a windshield?

Just wondering if the fit would be the same.

If so, I might order a pair myself. :)
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Pics!

And completely random but I'm so excited to show off my boyfriend's mom! She said at Thanksgiving that she always wanted to ride so I've been collecting gear for her. Her next visit will be in mid/late March and I'm hoping it's warm enough to take her out for a ride (I didn't think her first ride should be in 40F temps :). I'm sooooo excited to be able to welcome her to the world of riding (even if it's on the back).
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

Excellent. I just might have to go ahead an order a set of those. They look like they extend further out than the mirrors I have now. They also seem to be larger. That might help with getting both decent side AND rear view. Decent rear view is somewhat lacking for me now. Just measured the mirrors (mirror only not including the frame) 3"deep by 4.75" wide.
xTomBx

Post by xTomBx »

siobhan, tell me about the checkered straps around your headset.
Are those like the ones cyclists wrap around their pant legs?
xTomBx

Post by xTomBx »

siobhan, tell me about the checkered straps around your headset.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

siobhan wrote: random to show off my boyfriend's mom! She said at Thanksgiving that she always wanted to ride so I've been collecting gear for her. Her next visit will be in mid/late March and I'm hoping it's warm enough to take her out for a ride (I didn't think her first ride should be in 40F temps :). I'm sooooo excited to be able to welcome her to the world of riding (even if it's on the back).
I wish I had pictures to prove it, (damnit!!) A few years ago I got my mother on the Honda 50cc, she was 83 at the time, rode it around my 'block' about 2 1/2 miles, she said she had a 'blast' WON'T EVER do it again.....
Last summer when I rode the Buddy to Long Island to visit her, she rode 2up with me a few minutes, WON'T EVER do it again.......

Good for your Mom-in-law, hope she loves it....... :clap: :clap: :clap:
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

My mother (86) riding with me. (okay, an advantage of a hack :wink: )
Attachments
Ural1(Nov02) (Small).jpg
Ural1(Nov02) (Small).jpg (77.75 KiB) Viewed 3260 times
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

xTomBx wrote:siobhan, tell me about the checkered straps around your headset.
I put the checkerboard straps on the scoot's handlebars during standard time because my evening ride is in the dark. Anything to make the bike look bigger from the front. They are part reflecty material and part velcro.

I got them here: http://www.reflect-a-life.com/servlet/t ... Categories

The bicyclist bands would work but I could only find them in yellow. I liked the checkerboard better so I can pretend I'm a British cop.

They're REALLY bright when hit by light.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

siobhan wrote: They're REALLY bright when hit by light.
I REALLY like those, and they look great on the St Tropez too! :D
(Gettin' a pair)
Nullius in verba
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Dooglas wrote:My mother (86) riding with me. (okay, an advantage of a hack :wink: )
My Mom would definitely ride in a rig like that!! Even in New York City type traffic!
Guess I really now have to get that Ural I want...... :wink: :wink:
Nullius in verba
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

siobhan wrote:
xTomBx wrote:siobhan, tell me about the checkered straps around your headset.
I put the checkerboard straps on the scoot's handlebars during standard time because my evening ride is in the dark. Anything to make the bike look bigger from the front. They are part reflecty material and part velcro.

I got them here: http://www.reflect-a-life.com/servlet/t ... Categories

The bicyclist bands would work but I could only find them in yellow. I liked the checkerboard better so I can pretend I'm a British cop.

They're REALLY bright when hit by light.
Thanks for the link.. I'll probably be ordering a few of these, and the ID arm bands!
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

Yes thank you for the part numbers and picks. These mirrors remind me of my Yamaha Virago 750 that was stolen. So it brings back memories. :D
skully93

Post by skully93 »

just my .02, but I have the c3 mirrors on my Zuma, and they are great. they don't look as nice as non-chrome, but the viewing angle is better. the stock zuma mirrors, at least pre 2012 (which is 4t, good mpg but kind of a dog!), were round and useless if you had a chest wider than a 10 year old.

I'd kit it and drive the zuma, but the buddy is just overall more fun for me, and the Zuma has far too few miles on it to dissect it.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Just a quick update after 3 days worth of commuting with the new mirrors. I do see a lot of my elbows (oh Cordura, so sexxxxy!) but I also get a great wide-angle view. They're really easy to adjust on the fly (as in, I'm not afraid something is going to break off in my hand as I'm riding and fiddling with them like I always was with the stock mirrors).

I don't have a Yammy bike in the herd but now I'm thinking, hell, if their scooter mirrors are this nice, that SuperTen has got to be amaaaaazing.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Great picture Dooglas. I just ordered Blur mirrors and they look great. They were hard to find, but worth the effort.
Punt_Speedchunk

Post by Punt_Speedchunk »

siobhan wrote:I FINALLY made a decision and ordered the Yamaha C3 OEM mirrors from Cheap Cycle Parts.

OEM Buddy mirrors = $50
crappy quality, rust easily (I ride in weather), always getting loose on the stem

BEST...

BLOODY...

THING....

EVER!!!!

There be cars behind me... :shock:

All this time... I just though those stupid mirrors were for a dandruff check. Who knew???

Much thanks for this info...If you are on the fence, DO IT. Best 16.00 bucks Ive spent.

You rock!

Ps... likely picking up some of those reflector doo dads o' brightness too. Those look great.

P.S.... That is 16.00 for both mirrors!!! OEM, high quality.. dude, you can't beat that..
Last edited by Punt_Speedchunk on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I have the C3 Mirrors on Zumi, and I love them. The stock yamaha zuma mirrors are ugly, and take away from the 'sport' look.

Of course on the 2012, 4t version they slimmed it out and then put the C3 mirrors on. It looks nice, but it's still no Buddy...
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

good thread, gonna take note. the stock mirrors really leave much to be desired. especially with a Prima windshield attached

will use this thread to find GOOD after market mirrors AND a windshield which attaches....differently like this one:

http://forum.jorsindo.com/thread-2343784-1-1.html
Riding is riding
rkcoker

Post by rkcoker »

siobhan wrote:I FINALLY made a decision and ordered the Yamaha C3 OEM mirrors from Cheap Cycle Parts. Order placed Sunday night, shop not open Monday, "It's shipped, here's tracking" email on Wednesday, carefully packaged box received Friday by USPS. Everything was in stock (I added a bunch of Honda parts to the order).

To say I was excited slipping those black beauties out of the Genuine Yamaha Mirrors Assy box would be an understatement. A big 'thank you' to everyone who offered suggestions in this thread and this other thread (the one that persuaded me to try the C3 mirrors).

I wasn't sold on the black but I'm switching out all the body panels on my St. Tropez to black/custom painted, so I figured why not. Well, lemme tell ya, the black with the blue of the St. Tropez looks hawwwwt.

OEM Buddy mirrors = $50

sioban, thanks for the info. I ordered mine last week and put them on last night. They fit perfectly. Only problem was the technician (me) put the right side on first, while putting on the left side I realized I was trying to put reverse thread them too! DURR! :goofy:
Oh, and don't forget Loctite blue is your friend. :lol:
Southern singular is y'all
Southern plural is "all y'all"
Alb brajn

Post by Alb brajn »

Sorry to hijack this tread but does anybody know if it would be possible to modify the mirrors from this bike to work on the buddy or would it be too much trouble to be worth it?

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/ ... 86658.html
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Alb brajn wrote:Sorry to hijack this tread but does anybody know if it would be possible to modify the mirrors from this bike to work on the buddy or would it be too much trouble to be worth it?

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/ ... 86658.html
They probably wouldn't go on with current mounts or adapters.
You might be able to make something, but it would probably be a lot of trouble. There's really nowhere to run the wiring, so some of it would be exposed.

I have seen mirrors with LEDs in other (stock) sizes if that's what appeals to you about these. Try Googling around.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Alb brajn

Post by Alb brajn »

That's what I was afraid of. I liked these the best from what I've seen but I guess I'll keep looking.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Not cheap, but most of these will fit: https://www.denniskirk.com/search/led+mirrors.q
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

put the Yamahas on today - AWESOME! i can seeeee!!!!
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

From the pics, the made in Taiwan Yammie mirrors did not look to be all that different from the made in Taiwan Ebay mirrors I had on my scooter. But since they were pretty cheap from boats.net, and given all the accolades they have received, I figured that it was a low risk experiment.

Got them last Friday and compared them to the Ebay mirrors I already had on the Backjack, and which themselves were a definate imrovement over the original lollipop mirrors. The Yamaha mirrors are a little bit larger and sit a little bit more outboard than the Ebay mirrors. But surprise, surprise, the small dimensional differences have made a large difference in outward vision.

I now have effective side and rear vision. A quick glance at the mirror shows traffic both in the next lane as well as behind me without having to go through gyrations to see what's going on. And, as previously pointed out, they seem quite sturdy to boot.

Recommended!
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

How are you all getting the Yammy C3 mirrors for $16 shipped?

When I go to the website siobhan linked (Cheap Cycle Parts), they are priced at $19.42 before shipping. I checked 2 weeks ago and today. The price hasn't changed.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I'm interested too! if I could get some chrome backups for the Buddy..

Our local shop hasn't been getting any more, and I've noticed more and more of them without. I'm guessing that means they get swiped!