I Pulled a Regis...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

tommyred

I Pulled a Regis...

Post by tommyred »

Like I said, I pulled a Reege...but in a much worse way, and it was my own damn fault.

I took a ride in the mountains the day after it rained (bad move #1) and hit a patch of washed out driveway. And down goes Frazier!!! Dislocated 2nd toe, and compound fracture of the big toe. I'm not a speed demon, and was only going around 35/40. Fast enough to do some serious damage, but I got lucky. And Big Red (my Buddy 125) had barely a scratch, and that was just on the top case, and a bent mirror. Glad I had the cowl protectors installed when I first bought it. 6 years of riding, and it was the first time I dumped it.

I was going to the store, so I just had my Vans on, then when I realized how nice it was out, I decided to take a cruise. I was 1/2 mile from home, and should have gone home to put on my riding boots (bad move #2), but didn't :-/

So take it from me, wear protection, ALWAYS!!! You just never know what's around that corner.

<a href="http://modernbuddy.com/pix/broken1_182.jpg">graphic pic: skewered toe</a>

<a href="http://modernbuddy.com/pix/broken_back_164.jpg">graphic pic: broken toe back</a>
Last edited by tommyred on Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Heal up quick, man.
Toe injuries are a real drag.

Oh, and please post a warning in the title when there are disturbing images!! :bleh:
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Ummmm....... Ouch & Yukkk........

I dislocated and/or broke my left 2ond toe some 8-10 years ago, damn if it doesn't still hurt! Best of luck to you heal fast. If there's one consolation, winter is soon upon us and many don't ride........
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
tommyred

Post by tommyred »

I live in San Diego County, so scootin' year round is no problema. The doctors did say I will definitely get arthritis in them, so I'll worry about that down the line.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

looks painful, heal up soon. thanks for posting.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I wonder if having the leather Van"s would've helped? Or any LEATHER shoe? Or did it require a much STIFFER construction?

Heal fast!
tommyred

Post by tommyred »

k1dude wrote:I wonder if having the leather Van"s would've helped? Or any LEATHER shoe? Or did it require a much STIFFER construction?

Heal fast!
Any kind of slip-on shoe wouldn't have helped. The shoe came flying off, leaving my foot exposed. But if I had my tied, zippered, over the ankle riding boots on, I woulda been fine.

There was a big blowup in my meetup scooter group about what to wear, and who should set the rules. If I'm going to lead a long ride at 45 to 50MPH on winding mountain roads, and I say wear protection, or stay home. And if someone did show up wearing shorts, or flip flops, or even sneakers, I wouldn't let them go. Your ride,m your rules.

I thought I was just going to the store for some veggies, and ended up not taking my own advise, and I paid dearly for it.

Below is a pic of the X-Ray they gave me of the compound fracture of the big toe.
Attachments
xray.jpg
xray.jpg (68.6 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
beastmaster

Post by beastmaster »

narrley wounds !!!!! :lol:
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

arrr, ouch! Heel up fast. I broke my big toe in car accident and it often still hurts 15 plus year later. As far as the mud on pavement, no one mentions it much but it is to be avoided. I had a similar situation in CLeveland where mud poured down a hill I needed to get up to leave my neighborhood. Nearly wiped out. There is 0 traction. Just slid backward until the bottom of the hill and went back to get the cage. Everyone avoid mud!
Footwear- thanks for the reminder. Despite my nagging to wear his boots, my husband has broken his toes/foot twice now due to improper footwear (dress shoes). once a driver hit him, and the other time was a freak accident situation...both would have been no issue with his steel toe boots.
teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

tommyred wrote:I live in San Diego County, so scootin' year round is no problema. The doctors did say I will definitely get arthritis in them, so I'll worry about that down the line.
Arthritis? WHAT? Can you explain? How does having broken toes eventually lead to arthritis?
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

can't explain but it does. I have it. I was warned I would. :(
teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

sorry to hear that! :-(
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

I kinda VERYQUICKLY scrolled past the above, but I wanted to let you know you're not alone. My driveway disaster was a total Reege. Sometimes we just lose focus.

I also want to do everything I can to support the use of "to Reege" as scootertalk for wiping out.
tommyred

Post by tommyred »

peabody99 wrote:arrr, ouch! Heel up fast. I broke my big toe in car accident and it often still hurts 15 plus year later. As far as the mud on pavement, no one mentions it much but it is to be avoided.
Thanx for the well wishes. I'm sure it was mud the day before, since it rained, but the dirt I hit was completely dry and it was a beautiful day. I was going downhill & in the middle of a left turn when I saw it, and by that time it was too late. I'm wearing my boots, even when I go to my local Vons a 1/4 mile away, from now on.

Scootin' is a blast, and wicked fun, but dressing for a worse case scenario is a must. Like the old commercial goes, 'Don't fool with Mother Nature'. :-)
tommyred

Post by tommyred »

Quo Vadimus wrote:I kinda VERYQUICKLY scrolled past the above, but I wanted to let you know you're not alone. My driveway disaster was a total Reege. Sometimes we just lose focus.

I also want to do everything I can to support the use of "to Reege" as scootertalk for wiping out.
Maybe I can get 'Pull a Reege' entered in the urban dictionary :-)
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

Sux bigtime. Heal fast.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

yuck

heal up soon, dude
Riding is riding
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

Thank you for posting and heal up.

It is a good lesson for those who think they do not need to gear up because they are 'only' riding a scooter. The road doesn't care.
tommyred

Post by tommyred »

Quo Vadimus wrote:I kinda VERYQUICKLY scrolled past the above, but I wanted to let you know you're not alone. My driveway disaster was a total Reege. Sometimes we just lose focus.

Dude, dig this :-)

Thanks for your definition of Pulled a Reege!

Editors reviewed your entry and have decided to publish it on urbandictionary.com.

It should appear on this page in the next few days:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... 0a%20Reege

Urban Dictionary
-----
Pulled a Reege

When you lay down your scooter as Regis Philbin did on The Late Show with David Letterman.

I was tooling along on this mountain road, and was headed into a turn, when I hit some loose dirt and pulled a Reege.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Damn!! Hopefully it isn't for long, and you're able to stay off it to let it heal quick. Granted, with the daily grind and work life it's never easy to let anything heal proper.

This past semester I saw alot of people I know get scooters the moment I got my Vespa back. I kept drilling into them that the FIRST thing they should get is gear, and even when many of them complained that it was too expensive, one of the things I suggested was Big5 sporting good's house brand of "tactical" military/police boots (ResponseGear). For around $30 you can grab leather over-the-ankle boots with thick soles, lace and/or zipper fasteners and even steel toe for an extra $10 that won't break the bank. Best inexpensive riding boot I've found, and they're pretty comfy
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

teabow1 wrote:
tommyred wrote:I live in San Diego County, so scootin' year round is no problema. The doctors did say I will definitely get arthritis in them, so I'll worry about that down the line.
Arthritis? WHAT? Can you explain? How does having broken toes eventually lead to arthritis?
ANYTIME you break a bone in a joint it can happen. ESPECIALLY if it doesn't heal correctly. This is why I was so incredibly lucky I managed to avoid surgery when I broke my finger a month ago- I jammed it straight on when I hit the pavement which caused a specific kind of fracture where the bone cracks multiple ways down into itself, away from the joint as a result of the force being put into it. The cracks were diagonal, clean through, and turned the end of my pinky, where it joins my hand, into 3 separate pieces. Doc said most of the time the pieces move, and if they move around and are allowed to heal without being realigned, it heals with an uneven surface rubbing against the cartilage in the joint. Cartilage wears down, joint becomes inflamed..... boom arthritis.

Anyhoo, TommyRed, I wish you well on your road to recovery and I have the utmost respect for your coining of 'pulling a reege'. +1.

Also, I'd just like to say that you did not gross me out with the photos, I think stuff like that is hella cool. Sorry guys, I'm weird

:roll:
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Yeah....... I didn't see where you're located until after my post.
As for the 'Arthritis' situation, yeah that'll come with time, sorry to say. It is in some senses the burden we pay for living an active life style.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
tommyred

Post by tommyred »

neotrotsky wrote:Damn!! Hopefully it isn't for long, and you're able to stay off it to let it heal quick. Granted, with the daily grind and work life it's never easy to let anything heal proper.

This past semester I saw alot of people I know get scooters the moment I got my Vespa back. I kept drilling into them that the FIRST thing they should get is gear, and even when many of them complained that it was too expensive, one of the things I suggested was Big5 sporting good's house brand of "tactical" military/police boots (ResponseGear). For around $30 you can grab leather over-the-ankle boots with thick soles, lace and/or zipper fasteners and even steel toe for an extra $10 that won't break the bank. Best inexpensive riding boot I've found, and they're pretty comfy
I get most of my stuff from Jafrum.com. Good gear really cheap. I've seen too many people toolin' around in sandles, shorts, etc. this summer. It gets hot when your at a stop light with your gear on, but with a good mesh jacket with protective padding, I cool right down as soon as I hit the throttle.
teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

Oh, that Big5 tip was a really good one!

Too bad we don't have any in North Carolina :-( They were so common in California where I came from.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

Ouch! Get well soon...
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

tommyred,

Do you mind if I link to your pics instead of displaying them in the thread? It's not so much that I think they're horrific as that some people who could learn from this might not click on it due to the photos.

The question of gear on group rides is pretty tough. (Are you talking about SDSS or another group?) The LA Scooter Group has put a LOT of thought into these issues, especially after one particularly bad day in the canyons. In life, as on forums, I feel it's up to riders to determine how much they want to wear. Once we start requiring it, how much should we require and where does it stop? We have many members in our group who wear half/open helmets, sneakers, no armor, etc. We do our best to encourage wearing proper gear and set a good example. When we have big rides, we suggest gear.

We also have started requiring waivers for those coming on the longer and more challenging rides and require that all members read our policies stating they're responsible and liable for their own safety. We remind them of this before every ride.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
tommyred

Post by tommyred »

ericalm wrote:tommyred,

Do you mind if I link to your pics instead of displaying them in the thread? It's not so much that I think they're horrific as that some people who could learn from this might not click on it due to the photos.

The question of gear on group rides is pretty tough. (Are you talking about SDSS or another group?) The LA Scooter Group has put a LOT of thought into these issues, especially after one particularly bad day in the canyons. In life, as on forums, I feel it's up to riders to determine how much they want to wear. Once we start requiring it, how much should we require and where does it stop? We have many members in our group who wear half/open helmets, sneakers, no armor, etc. We do our best to encourage wearing proper gear and set a good example. When we have big rides, we suggest gear.

We also have started requiring waivers for those coming on the longer and more challenging rides and require that all members read our policies stating they're responsible and liable for their own safety. We remind them of this before every ride.
Nah, I don't mind you putting a link for the pics. And yes, it was SDSS. I feel if your leading a ride, you should have the authority when it comes to safety issues, since your responsible for the safety of the riders in the group. If you're cruising around an urban situation, full gear isn't really required as much as it is on longer rides on windy country roads. Even on urban rides, I wouldn't be caught dead wearing sandles or flip flops. I don't even like riding with shorts on, but that's my prerogative.
teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

tommyred wrote:
ericalm wrote: If you're cruising around an urban situation, full gear isn't really required as much as it is on longer rides on windy country roads. Even on urban rides, I wouldn't be caught dead wearing sandles or flip flops. I don't even like riding with shorts on, but that's my prerogative.
Agree with the sandals and flip flops. Even for bicyclists, flip flops and sandals are a very bad idea. The bear minimum is closed toe and closed heel shoes.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

yeah, OUCH...Heal up quick man :), lesson learned. Hope the meds keep you from hurtin too much.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

tommyred wrote:
Nah, I don't mind you putting a link for the pics. And yes, it was SDSS. I feel if your leading a ride, you should have the authority when it comes to safety issues, since your responsible for the safety of the riders in the group. If you're cruising around an urban situation, full gear isn't really required as much as it is on longer rides on windy country roads. Even on urban rides, I wouldn't be caught dead wearing sandles or flip flops. I don't even like riding with shorts on, but that's my prerogative.
It just doesn't work that way with meetups. Once announced on the internet, anyone can show up and you there's little you can do to keep them from following in the pack.

Heal fast. I got 3 toes broke getting hit by another scooter on SDSS ride. I was wearing tennis shoes. NO FUN!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Pics remved & linked, thanks. If you get a chance and don't mind, a post in the official crash thread would be very useful.

What your experience shows—beyond just "wear boots"—is that many of us who know better sometimes don't practice what we preach. Some serious stuff can happen on a short trip at low surface street speeds.

There are occasions when all of us decide, for whatever reason to forego our gear. Broken toes (or worse) are the potential consequences of that. It's not as if this type of incident is rare.

As bad as the OP's pics are… There are pics of a rider who had a few toes pretty much ground off in a crash when wearing Chucks. That crash—and the images—have become a part of scooter forum lore, as they're often posted and used as a "this is why you should wear boots" example. She works for Pride of Cleveland and was on a Buddy when it happened.

You can see the link for the image here:topic12822.html

It ain't pretty.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

I think we're *all* guilty of riding in Chuck Talyors at some point. Especially me :? Alot of it just comes to assumed risk and assessment. As adults, that's part of the deal. I just think it's sad that there have to be such banal things like waivers and disclaimers just to do a ride these days. Lawsuits are just a waste 99 percent of the time...

If you are going to go with less gear, take the blame when it goes bad. I know I risk it when I wear my open face and not my full face. But, it's a risk I understand and at least I try to buy a good quality open face and not some Chinese bargain bin one. But, again, it's my choice.

Again... I do hope recovery goes well. I want to grab another shot of Stoli just looking at it.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>