phpBB

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Ethan Allison

phpBB

Post by Ethan Allison »

So I'm pretty sure MB is still on an old version of the forum software. (phpBB 2.x instead of 3.x). Any reason for this? It's not too hard to upgrade, and I can help if needed.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Yes, there is a reason. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'll PM you.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

Are spoiler tags an option with the current version?

It seems like a few [spoiler][/spoiler] tags thrown around would really help, especially to streamline image-heavy threads. Or when there's actually a spoiler, hehe.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

What spoilers?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I'm 99% sure he's referring to this thread. It's one you can't help but click on because of the title, but the images are right there at the top with the story. Be warned, the images are graphic.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

That's a great example where usage would be nice, but it can he helpful anytime there's a "wall of text" or something tangential to the thread topic.
Also in regards to pictures, it helps prevent the page dimensions from getting wonky with a huge picture.

Maybe the code isn't as common as I thought - I'll post an example from another one of my forums sometime tomorrow morning. I guess I'm used to forums that have some version of it. I'll grab a few screenshots.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Lostmycage wrote:I'm 99% sure he's referring to this thread. It's one you can't help but click on because of the title, but the images are right there at the top with the story. Be warned, the images are graphic.
Yikes. Asked the OP if we could just link to images.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

made a quick example.

With spoilers:

Without spoilers:

Spoiler tags, useful for:
---of topic wall of texts
--images
-----large images (prevent horizontal scrolling, really annoying!)
-----lots of images (prevent vertical scrolling due to extra length added)
-----gross images :P

--actual spoilers

I tried to make an example encompassing some of the above (note both horizontal and vertical scrolling required in the second picture) in a two-post thread.

Aesthetically I love these tags, they keep things neater and cleaner. I've heard a rumor they help reduce page load time (on mobile OS) though I'm not sure if that's true. Anyway, hope the examples demonstrate what I meant. Not that it's an oh-so-needed feature, just thought I'd ask <.<