Gen-U-Bin

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Treynor1

Gen-U-Bin

Post by Treynor1 »

Does anyone have one of these bins on their Buddy? Do you like it? I am interested in the cup holder that is built in and this looks like a good solution. Comments? Also, is it easy to install yourself?
easy

Post by easy »

I got 1 there ok you do lose some space overall
what did you trade the day for?
Raiderfn311

Post by Raiderfn311 »

I dont have one but generally poeple say they are "OK". I do like the way they look though. :)
The Edge....there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who truly know where it is have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson
scubadoobie

Post by scubadoobie »

I have one and it works well. You do lose some space, but there is enough room in the covered pocket to hold my phone, wallet (if I'm not taking a messenger bag or backpack) and gate opener. The snap lid on the pocket is tight and no problem with it opening during a bumpy ride. The cup holder is great...perfect size for either my coffee thermos or camel water bottle. Very easy to install.
Scooting is good for the soul....

LunaP

Post by LunaP »

I really like the idea of it, but I've never convinced myself that I need to spend the (granted very little) extra money and effort to lose the space. Dunno. Maybe I'll get one down the road. *shrug*
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

scubadoobie wrote:I have one and it works well. You do lose some space, but there is enough room in the covered pocket to hold my phone, wallet (if I'm not taking a messenger bag or backpack) and gate opener. The snap lid on the pocket is tight and no problem with it opening during a bumpy ride. The cup holder is great...perfect size for either my coffee thermos or camel water bottle. Very easy to install.
Thanks for that scubadoobie,might you have any pics of your Gen U Bin with your belongings and drink in use?
Aerosmith, None Other.
scubadoobie

Post by scubadoobie »

Sure thing...will post some pics tonight.

heyitsomid

Post by heyitsomid »

I really like mine. You lose some space, but it makes the space more usable. At least for my needs. I put my phone, wallet in it for easy access and safety. You can even buy a small luggage lock to lock it. The cup holder does pretty good although I had trouble with my Taco Bell drink (way too big of a drink). You can also totally use the "unused space" by putting things you need but rarely use underneath in the voids (tools etc.). If you have a garage opener, its a great place to put it also.
scubadoobie

Post by scubadoobie »

Here are a few pics of my Gen-U-Bin and a couple of links with mug/bottle sizes, for reference.
Thermos Mug: http://www.thermos.com/products/vacuum- ... biner.aspx
Camelbak water bottle: http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreati ... le-5L.aspx
Attachments
Garage opener, iPhone and wallet in the covered pocket. Probably still about an 1.5-2" of space above those items.
Garage opener, iPhone and wallet in the covered pocket. Probably still about an 1.5-2" of space above those items.
genubin1.JPG (35.01 KiB) Viewed 3170 times
Camelbak .5 L water bottle
Camelbak .5 L water bottle
genubin3.JPG (68.22 KiB) Viewed 3170 times
Thermos Nissan travel mug
Thermos Nissan travel mug
genubin2.JPG (60.91 KiB) Viewed 3170 times

BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

scubadoobie,

Perfect Thanks for taking the time to snap some pics. :D

I lika the Gen U Bin.... :D
Aerosmith, None Other.
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

I have one as well. I feel very half-happy about it overall. It is the best solution available, because it is the only one available. I'll continue to use it until something better comes along or until I make something better.

Pros:
  • organized
  • has a cup holder
  • doesn't look misplaced on a buddy
Cons:
  • lose of space (though I do keep stuff stashed underneath—first-aid, tire-pressure gauge, etc)
  • the cup holder is bad for tall and/or skinny cups. I had to catch a glass bottle twice during one ride when I hit bumps.
  • feels kind of cheap. The materials are made to last, but the design quality isn't up to snuff for me. For example, I don't like the steely screws that stare me in the face or how much of it requires snapping together.
  • huge and unnecessary branding. This bugged me the most. It is an eyesore that only the rider generally sees. I took sandpaper to mine and now I'm much happier on that front.
Last edited by jonlink on Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scubadoobie

Post by scubadoobie »

No problem, Buddy. I like it, too. Some people are reluctant to "waste" some of the original storage area by installing this gadget, but I don't find the space all that useful without some kind of lid or tie-down arrangement.

This works very well for my needs, it fits well and...bonus... looks nice.

Treynor1

Gen-U-Bin

Post by Treynor1 »

Thanks to all who replied. Sounds like it could hit my Xmas wish list.
Raiderfn311

Post by Raiderfn311 »

jonlink, you said you had a glass bottle in the holder? Ummmmm....what kind of beverage was that? :?
The Edge....there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who truly know where it is have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

jonlink wrote: Cons:
  • the cup holder is bad for tall and/or skinny cups. I had to catch a glass bottle twice during one ride when I hit bumps.
I don't use the insert for the cup holder, too easy for regular sized bottles fall/bounce out.
Without the insert taller bottles are more secure and I don't worry about any mishaps.
Otherwise I like my Gen-U-Bin.
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

Raiderfn311 wrote:jonlink, you said you had a glass bottle in the holder? Ummmmm....what kind of beverage was that? :?
It was kombucha. Seriously. :D

They're more expensive than most bottles of beer, so I would have been bummed if it got smashed.

I might have to see how I like things without the holder part of the cup holder as iMoses suggests. Does that mean I'm left with a cup hole?
easy

Post by easy »

The cup holder wrks great to keep a ballcap in to hide the helmet hair
what did you trade the day for?
Raiderfn311

Post by Raiderfn311 »

Synergy brand kombucha jonlink? I LOVE that stuff. The purple one is my favorite(not sure of the name) and that stuff ROCKS. It is pricey though.
climbguy

Post by climbguy »

how large is the storage box?
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Just installed one on my 170i last week, easy to do, took less than 5 minutes.
Got a blue one which matched the silver scoot well. Storage box is small but
can be easily removed allowing storage under the bin. Well worth the price
which is quite reasonable. :D
climbguy

Post by climbguy »

does anyone have dimensions on the storage box?

How were people using the big before? I find this just move around too much in an open bin
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

If you are referring to the lockable topped bin it is 3" deep, 6" wide
and the sides are 1.5" on the left side curving to 3/4" on the right side. By removing
it you have access to most of the space underneath. The bottle holder
is large and extends in depth to the bottom. Hope this is of some help. :lol:
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

I use the storage for a mileage note pad and pen...a few little Cigars, a lighter, some mints, etc the sort of stuff that easier to get to when it's not in your pocket... Stays dry for the most part, even in medium rain...the cup holder is better suited for smaller size cups or bottled water...I find a 1 quiart QT cup is almost too big...but will fit at a slant, if it's not too full..... Well worth the money IMO....
2006 Buddy 125 in ORANGE!..Sold
2007 Harley FLHX in Black Cherry!
1999 Saturn SC1...."Marvin"...Still runnin' strong
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

My Gen-U-Bin glove box has some Lemonheads left over from Amerivespa 2012... they are still tasty
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

iMoses wrote:My Gen-U-Bin glove box has some Lemonheads left over from Amerivespa 2012... they are still tasty
LOL.....
climbguy

Post by climbguy »

for those of you who don't like the GEN-U-BIN, what do you keep in your bin? how do you prevent it from falling out or bouncing around?
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

climbguy wrote:how do you prevent it from falling out or bouncing around?
I couldn't. Lost too much good stuff from having it bounce out. That's why we got Gen-U-Bins for our scoots.

Drink holder really works well, too.
fatcharlie

Post by fatcharlie »

They also make the cup holder -only model if you don't want to cover the rest of the bin.

http://www.scooterdude.us/GEN-U-BIN_DH.html
hal888

Post by hal888 »

I just installed one yesterday. Took one minute. I cleaned out all the small stuff from my pet carrier, including ear plugs, pens, a small piece of microcloth to clean my visor. I haven't found a cup that fits in the cupholder yet, but overall I'd say it helps me keep the small thing organized.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I like mine well enough. I don't often carry java in there, but there's I keep my access cards and phone in there frequently. You have to make sure it's securely snapped down, but otherwise...awesome!
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Christophers wrote:
climbguy wrote:how do you prevent it from falling out or bouncing around?
I couldn't. Lost too much good stuff from having it bounce out. That's why we got Gen-U-Bins for our scoots.

Drink holder really works well, too.
LOL.....that's for sure...never put anything in there you want to keep...Plus if that's all people use.....what do they do when it rains....????
TVB

Post by TVB »

SonnyD wrote:LOL.....that's for sure...never put anything in there you want to keep...Plus if that's all people use.....what do they do when it rains....????
I put things in the glove bucket which are a) not likely to bounce out, and b) not affected by water. Most of the time that's spare gas, spare oil, and spare bungees.
hal888

Post by hal888 »

Riding into work this morning, I was accelerating from a stop light when I suddenly say a green cloth from my brand new Gen U Bin fly into the air and float back into the distance. I kept the cloth in the little bucket to wipe my visor of dust and bugs from time to time. Apparently, I didn't hook the little latch on the door well enough, and away it flew..... :)
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

I think the Genubin cleans up the presentation, but ?
I immediately acquired one, I don't know that I'd buy another, but it's better than naught. :roll:
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

basilfawlty

Post by basilfawlty »

I've had my bin for about a year and I find that it's useful but rather flimsy. The cup holder assembly constantly pops out from the hole in the plastic.
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Hmm, has it gotten tweaked? Mine is really locked in. I was going to remove mine so I could use a larger cup, but it gave such a struggle to remove it, I gave up. I didn't want to rove the whole bin just to remove the cup insert. They are inexpensive enough, I won't worry about it.