Amerivespa 2012, June 21-24, Lake Geneva, WI

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

Amerivespa 2012, June 21-24, Lake Geneva, WI

Post by ericalm »

As some of you already know, Amerivespa is the biggest scooter event of the year and it's not (by any means) just for Vespa owners. This year's event is at Lake Geneva, WI, 45 miles or so north of Chicago. It promises to have good weather and lots of gorgeous riding.

As this year is so close to Genuine World HQ, expect a lot of Genuine scoots at the event (already second in number to Piaggio/Vespas the past few years) and hopefully a big ride or gathering for Genuine owners and MB members!

Though the official site has yet to go live with registration info, the hotels are already filling up! To get the discounted MV rates, call the hotels. I know Harbor Shores, where I just booked, is showing no vacancies if you search online, so you definitely need to call!

Here's the scoop from Mike, Pres. of VCOA, the event sponsor/organizer:
mikenSJtown wrote:Beautiful Lake Geneva, Wisconsin will be the site of Amerivespa 2012. VCOA will be celebrating its 20th Amerivespa. Club Scoot Jockeys and Midwest Action Cycles will be co-hosting some great rides and entertainment.

It's a scooting old school retro theme this year. Let's bring out some of your best scoots! Amerivespa is, as always, an all scooter rally, be it vintage or modern, Vespa or Honda, you're all welcome!

We're going to attempt the world's largest scooter parade! We're going to need a whole lot of scooters! So come on out! We'll have more details on this attempt in a bit.

We've got both camping and hotel options. Make your reservations early.

Camping at Big Foot State Park: http://wisconsinstateparks.reserveameri ... kCode=bigf

Lodging at Harbor Shores: Mention Amerivespa to get discounted rate.
http://www.harborshoreslg.com/

Lodging at Bella Vista Suites: Mention Amerivespa. (May be sold out already)
http://www.bellavistasuites.com/

Amerivespa on the web: Full web should be up by next month with early bird registration discount.
http://amerivespa.org/
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

People always ask what Amerivespa is like. It's not some hardcore 2%er scooter gathering; it's more like summer camp for scooterists. It's also been the largest gathering of MB members for the past few years.

This will be my 4th year attending. Every year is different, but you can expect all sizes of rides (from small, ad hoc groups to 200 riders or more), several days of parties, meet & greets and great meals, one of the best gymkhanas in the country and many scooters and other prizes raffled off throughout the weekend.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Me and my friend Wende are there! And we are bound and determined to make the ride from Phoenix, AZ to Wisconsin and BACK! (unless we wuss out when we get there and end up finding someone with trailer space heading to Phoenix or LA where we can hitch a ride :P)

Anyone else?
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Syd

Post by Syd »

Hasn't Genuine Phil attended in the past, Eric? If so, you might be able to meet Mr Genuine.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

2%er? I know what a 1%er is but is the 2%er something scooter-specific?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Syd wrote:Hasn't Genuine Phil attended in the past, Eric? If so, you might be able to meet Mr Genuine.
If he's been in the past, it was before my time. I have a feeling we'll be seeing him around on this one.
Southerner wrote:2%er? I know what a 1%er is but is the 2%er something scooter-specific?
Milk-specific. :)
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Southerner wrote:2%er? I know what a 1%er is but is the 2%er something scooter-specific?
I just assumed he was talking about vintage scoots like the P-series that require a 2% premix. But, then you have the older rides that require a 5%...

Then again, I always assume people are talking about me :P

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

Hmmm well, now that I'm not moving to cali anymore maybe I'll make this my long summer ride from Richmond :D
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

This years dream ride is to cruise from LA to Amerivespa on my new Triumph Bonneville (that's the dream part), finagle a scooter for the rally weekend, then ride home via the Canadian Rockies and Vancouver. Maybe first ride further east to Toronto to see the family. Yep, that could work nicely.

Positive visualization is beginning ... NOW.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:This years dream ride is to cruise from LA to Amerivespa on my new Triumph Bonneville (that's the dream part), finagle a scooter for the rally weekend, then ride home via the Canadian Rockies and Vancouver. Maybe first ride further east to Toronto to see the family. Yep, that could work nicely.

Yessss…
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:This years dream ride is to cruise from LA to Amerivespa on my new Triumph Bonneville (that's the dream part), finagle a scooter for the rally weekend, then ride home via the Canadian Rockies and Vancouver. Maybe first ride further east to Toronto to see the family. Yep, that could work nicely.

Dude... DO IT!! It's a rally: People need to RIDE there (granted you're taking a Bonnie, but you get the idea). I just don't get why people take fancy trailers to haul a bike to a rally when they have plenty of time to ride there. Sure, if I only had one week I *might* consider a trailer, but this is the big one. So, we're making it an event! Granted, planning has slowed due to school, finals and multiple family dramas in both of our lives, but now that finals are done as of tonight, I'm already full tilt into planning. Was actually just at outdoor and army surplus stores getting ideas for on bike bags and camping gear :P

neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

ericalm wrote:

Yessss…
Man, you're going to get every bit of mileage out of that graphic aren't you? :P

Rob

Post by Rob »

This is kind of in my backyard ... so I'll definitely make this one. It looks like I'll have to book some lodging soon.

For those of you looking for a very scenic ride not too far away from this event, try riding a segment along the Great River Road. This follows the Mississippi and is very scenic.

Hope to see a few of you there.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

neotrotsky wrote:

Dude... DO IT!! It's a rally: People need to RIDE there (granted you're taking a Bonnie, but you get the idea). I just don't get why people take fancy trailers to haul a bike to a rally when they have plenty of time to ride there. Sure, if I only had one week I *might* consider a trailer, but this is the big one. So, we're making it an event! Granted, planning has slowed due to school, finals and multiple family dramas in both of our lives, but now that finals are done as of tonight, I'm already full tilt into planning. Was actually just at outdoor and army surplus stores getting ideas for on bike bags and camping gear :P
I sure don't have plenty of time to ride there! It's probably a 5 day ride each way on a scooter. On a MC, it's 2 days of nothing but freeway riding. (Skootz can't take a direct route across the street if there's a more scenic way to get there! :P)

So, my visualization: Cash windfall that will enable me to quit my job, not have to worry about income, and get a new scooter to ride to AV and Cannonball if the windfall comes in time.

Skootz, teacherquinn, Kevin and possibly Dan and some others are planning to ride it form SoCal if you can indeed do it on 2 wheels.

Meanwhile, looks like I'll be flying into Chicago and relying on the kindness of others for something to ride from there to AV and while at the rally.
neotrotsky wrote:Man, you're going to get every bit of mileage out of that graphic aren't you? :P
Of course!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:... Skootz can't take a direct route across the street if there's a more scenic way to get there! :P) ...
It's so good to have friends who know you. :lol:

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
ericalm wrote:... Skootz can't take a direct route across the street if there's a more scenic way to get there! :P) ...
Truth! Pretty sure many of the people on my FB who don't really know me are convinced I'm some kind of idiot savant without the savant part who does nothing but obsess over scooters, motorcycles and cars, watch anime and bad tv, read comic books, get into political disagreements with people I actually agree with and who has an interest in fashion and design that's uncommon among heterosexual men (and we'll leave it at that).

I'm nothing like that AT ALL.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Lokky wrote:Hmmm well, now that I'm not moving to cali anymore maybe I'll make this my long summer ride from Richmond :D
^^^^ On the Stella? Hmmm, I am thinking along those lines,too if I can get the time off...700+ miles...I do have a campsite near morgantown for the first nights stop if I can pull this off.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

ericalm wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:
Truth! Pretty sure many of the people on my FB who don't really know me are convinced I'm some kind of idiot savant without the savant part who does nothing but obsess over scooters, motorcycles and cars, watch anime and bad tv, read comic books, get into political disagreements with people I actually agree with and who has an interest in fashion and design that's uncommon among heterosexual men (and we'll leave it at that).

Holy crap! Replace "Bad TV" with History channel and "Fashion and Design" with Theater production and that's how most of the people I know view me :P

LunaP

Post by LunaP »

This is not happening for me. Even if the planets aligned and I had enough money, there's no way I could get the time off; I have prior obligations that require me to take the weekend before Amerivespa off, and the trip out there will take 3 days I'm sure.

EDIT:

GREAT FLYING SPAGHETTI LORD. It took us the majority of one day to trek the 100 or so miles from here to Baltimore... Lake Geneva is almost 900 miles.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

neotrotsky wrote:
I just assumed he was talking about vintage scoots like the P-series that require a 2% premix. But, then you have the older rides that require a 5%...

Then again, I always assume people are talking about me :P

MMMMM.....5%....Piston Ported Rocks!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Jackie F

Post by Jackie F »

I'm planning on going. I reserved a room. Actually 1 room in 2 hotels. I grabbed the 1st one not knowing where to stay, but grabbed the other one after the fb warning today. Definitely will cancel one.

This will be my 2nd Amerivespa. I attended Amerivespa when it was held in Seattle in 2007.

I thought of the scooter club in Idaho when Eric mentioned the 2%'ers with "The Killing Spree".
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

If you're thinking about going to Amerivespa...go.

If you have any type of scooter...go

If you don't have a scooter...go

Amerivespa is really just many days of all sorts of scooter fun!

Last year at the banquet I sat with a local guy that didn't ride and didn't own a scooter. He was just really interested and wanted to attend. Really nice guy and when I asked him what he thought he said that he was having more fun and meeting more great people than he ever thought he would.

Oh yeah..I took second for best rat bike too!

That being said...I will not be making this one. Running the CBR just doesn't leave enough time to attend.
Last edited by BuddyRaton on Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

LunaP wrote:This is not happening for me. Even if the planets aligned and I had enough money, there's no way I could get the time off; I have prior obligations that require me to take the weekend before Amerivespa off, and the trip out there will take 3 days I'm sure.

EDIT:

GREAT FLYING SPAGHETTI LORD. It took us the majority of one day to trek the 100 or so miles from here to Baltimore... Lake Geneva is almost 900 miles.
The ONLY reason we are able to do it is because of a once in a great while chance budget and because it's a celebration for both of us: For her, it's her last adventure before she graduates with a Bachelors. For me, it's a reassertion that I'm still capable of a miracle or two after finally beating cancer last year. Thankfully my wife is 100% for it, although she has fully admitted that she has NO idea why someone would willingly ride cross country and suffer the wilderness just for the sake of riding small bikes that far without the comforts of a hotel and air conditioning

But, we're still on a very tight budget: Camping as much as possible, no support vehicle on the route back (yet. That part may change...) and lots of focused budgeting. We both took a VERY hard hit during the economy. I only make 1/5th what I used to make, and she's been fighting to finish school with massive costs (such as an intern trip to China :shock: ). We're also on a 2 1/2 week timeframe for both of us to start Summer intersession. But, we both have done equally crazy things in our 20's, so if we can survive wars, cancer, strip clubs and taxi-cab gigs, this should be a breeze...

Hopefully.

Then again, she has yet to fully learn how to ride her '70 150 Super and we're still having title and emissions department issues on my P200e. But, at least we'll be documenting the whole thing to make an epic rally vid that resembles a more working class version of "Long Way Round". Yes, I finally get to put that arts school education to some use

Southerner

Post by Southerner »

neotrotsky wrote:
LunaP wrote:This is not happening for me. Even if the planets aligned and I had enough money, there's no way I could get the time off; I have prior obligations that require me to take the weekend before Amerivespa off, and the trip out there will take 3 days I'm sure.

EDIT:

The ONLY reason we are able to do it is because of a once in a great while chance budget and because it's a celebration for both of us: For her, it's her last adventure before she graduates with a Bachelors. For me, it's a reassertion that I'm still capable of a miracle or two after finally beating cancer last year. Thankfully my wife is 100% for it, although she has fully admitted that she has NO idea why someone would willingly ride cross country and suffer the wilderness just for the sake of riding small bikes that far without the comforts of a hotel and air conditioning

But, we're still on a very tight budget: Camping as much as possible, no support vehicle on the route back (yet. That part may change...) and lots of focused budgeting. We both took a VERY hard hit during the economy. I only make 1/5th what I used to make, and she's been fighting to finish school with massive costs (such as an intern trip to China :shock: ). We're also on a 2 1/2 week timeframe for both of us to start Summer intersession. But, we both have done equally crazy things in our 20's, so if we can survive wars, cancer, strip clubs and taxi-cab gigs, this should be a breeze...

Hopefully.

Then again, she has yet to fully learn how to ride her '70 150 Super and we're still having title and emissions department issues on my P200e. But, at least we'll be documenting the whole thing to make an epic rally vid that resembles a more working class version of "Long Way Round". Yes, I finally get to put that arts school education to some use
I'm feelin' ya both on the cancer and the downward mobility. My new salary will be just a bit more than half what I WAS making before the financial geniuses decided to loan money to people who had no money. As the Dead say, "we will survive."
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

360 miles. 8 hours. Per Google maps.

Would it be pretentions for someone who's only been riding a few months to go to AV?

Well, I'd only go if I had a proper ride, obviously I wouldn't take my CCS.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ravenlore wrote:Would it be pretentions for someone who's only been riding a few months to go to AV?
Not at all provided your riding skills are up to doing the group rides. There have been some who've been riding years on their own or just in their little hamlets who get a bit squirrely in a big group or on different terrain.
Well, I'd only go if I had a proper ride, obviously I wouldn't take my CCS.
It's open to ALL scooters. I can't say there aren't those who won't judge you for riding a CCS, but those people are everywhere! There are people who don't like the Buddys or Taiwanese scooters. Some may bnot like the Stella for not being a Vespa. WHATEVER! There are nice folks around, too, who really don't care.
TVB

Post by TVB »

That's almost close enough for a day trip from here! Almost. Heck, if I took the Muskegon-Milwaukee ferry across the Lake, it'd be less than 100 miles of riding each way. There's even a state park for camping nearby.

The catch would be the time away. I'm already planning a ride in May to finish up the ride I had to cut short this year, and another ride in July up to Tahquamenon Falls.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

EDIT: CHANGE of PLANS

CHANGE of PLANS
Last edited by iMoses on Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Noted iMoses! I was *really* hoping to take the northern route (through Nebraska, the panhandle corner of Texas, Oklahoma and the like) on the way there and a Southern route on the way back, but again, it all comes down to timing. This week I should have a chance to finally sit down with my partner in crime and figure out just how the hell we're going to do this on a budget. Then again, the budget part is kind of the fun part :D

Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I reserved a room shortly after the dates and location were posted. At the time, it looked like it would be a great trip for my wife and I. Now, my daughter and her two infant twins had to move in with us. We are trying to get her into school so that she will be able to support them herself but that means baby sitting for her. Now were not so sure if we can make it. Fortunately, June is still a ways off.

Here's hopin'

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

I just booked in the room next to Eric, where it will be a non-start party featuring up to 8 hours of sleeping every night! Easy!

Depending on who goes from my family or club, we may ride from Detroit, truck it closer (Chicago) and ride up with Belkinwith or truck it to the parking lot of the hotel. We'll have to wait and see.

And now the question is Bajaj, Blur or Reflex?
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I assume you don't want the wear & tear on the older scoots?
viney266

Post by viney266 »

based on time, I MIGHT have to truck it part of the way. I'd love to ride the whole thing. I can do that in a day on my bike, but is 2-3 days on a Stella. My better half was looking at me like I was crazy last night. LOL

Hmmm, I could see a truck with a trailer and 8 scooters going up the road now?
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

ericalm wrote:
Syd wrote:Hasn't Genuine Phil attended in the past, Eric? If so, you might be able to meet Mr Genuine.
If he's been in the past, it was before my time. I have a feeling we'll be seeing him around on this one.
The last AV I attended in 2007 in Seattle he was indeed there....smiling and having fun just like everyone else.

My first AV was in...gulp, 1999 in San Diego and Genuine Scooter co. didn't even exist then, but Scooterworks did.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I just reserved my room at the Harbor Shores. Will be there; riding up on the Buddy! 8)
Last edited by pugbuddy on Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Rippinyarn wrote:I just booked in the room next to Eric, where it will be a non-start party featuring up to 8 hours of sleeping every night! Easy!

Depending on who goes from my family or club, we may ride from Detroit, truck it closer (Chicago) and ride up with Belkinwith or truck it to the parking lot of the hotel. We'll have to wait and see.

And now the question is Bajaj, Blur or Reflex?
Bajaj. If you're going to the largest rally, bring a shifty.

neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

viney266 wrote:based on time, I MIGHT have to truck it part of the way. I'd love to ride the whole thing. I can do that in a day on my bike, but is 2-3 days on a Stella. My better half was looking at me like I was crazy last night. LOL

Hmmm, I could see a truck with a trailer and 8 scooters going up the road now?
She thinks you're crazy: My wife is 100% us riding 7 days straight to get there! Although it looks like we may have to start looking for others who are trailering to see if we can book some trailer space on the way back. My riding partner only has 2 weeks allotted for time off, so we may need to find a quick interstate solution back to Phoenix, even if it means hitching a ride to New Mexico or Colorado and riding the rest of the way back to Phoenix.

Dibber

Post by Dibber »

My wife and I will be at the State Park Campground on the Lake. That's two more Buddy's in attendance.
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

mattgordon wrote:
ericalm wrote:
The last AV I attended in 2007 in Seattle he was indeed there....smiling and having fun just like everyone else.

My first AV was in...gulp, 1999 in San Diego and Genuine Scooter co. didn't even exist then, but Scooterworks did.
Would love to see you guys at this one!

My 5-year plan for a SoCal AV is perpetually in year one.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

ericalm wrote:Truth! Pretty sure many of the people on my FB who don't really know me are convinced I'm some kind of idiot savant without the savant part who does nothing but obsess over scooters, motorcycles and cars, watch anime and bad tv, read comic books, get into political disagreements with people I actually agree with and who has an interest in fashion and design that's uncommon among heterosexual men (and we'll leave it at that).

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :!:
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I'm planning on going. I reserved a room. Actually 1 room in 2 hotels. I grabbed the 1st one not knowing where to stay, but grabbed the other one after the fb warning today. Definitely will cancel one.
Um...care to share?
I just booked in the room next to Eric, where it will be a non-start party featuring up to 8 hours of sleeping every night! Easy!
Actually, we need to find out who booked a room in the Bella Vista Suites next door and go party over there!

EDIT: Early Bird Registration is open!!!
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

I can't go... but I have a buddy from college who now lives in Chicago who I talk to often. He's semi-interested in scooters, ever since I got mine... I told him about AV. He's considering driving to and fro and checking it out on the weekend. 8)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pugbuddy was the official first registrant for AV2012!

The second? Another Buddy owner!

MB RULEZ!
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

YAY ME! MB ROCKS!
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Dammit, I just checked and discovered AV is the same weekend as another event. Good thing I checked, i was getting very tempted.
teacherquinn

Post by teacherquinn »

We've started playing with routes and such. Possibly up the coast and east on 50 and other secondary roads. Minimum of 5-6 days. We don't have a back-up truck yet. Not sure if we will have one. Will be using cheap hotels. I've done the cross country camping and don't really want to carry all that gear. And nothing beats a bed after riding all day.

Genuine is always at AV but it's usually Trey and the gang. They've been very good supporters over the years.

If you haven't attended before, it's really a great time. The location looks amazing!
Linda
Vice President
Vespa Club of America
teacherquinn

Post by teacherquinn »

hit enter twice...sorry!
Last edited by teacherquinn on Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linda
Vice President
Vespa Club of America
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Well, our modest scooter gang (two bikes at the moment, and she hasn't even got hers registered yet!) will be meeting up for route planning and budgeting. Already been doing some comparative shopping and gear selection, including inexpensive but not total crap helmet cams, bluetooth coms and gear to carry stuff on the scoots. Found the helmet cams I want to use (inexpensive but not cheap and only Standard Definition, but solid and decent video for what it is) and the "luggage" (prodigious use of Tactical bags and canvas saddle bags. It worked the last two times I've done cross country trips). Would rather spend the money on the scooters themselves on top-shelf parts.

The only problem is time. She keeps insisting that there is only a two week window, and going from Phoenix to Wisconsin, with a possible Chicago pilgrimage to Scooterworks and back may be too tight. Hopefully we can hammer out some options or find other locals heading there with trailers. Still early.

And yes, camping may be in the cards for a few days of the trip. Cheap and part of the fun.

pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Neotrotsky, what cams did you decide on? I've toyed with the idea of getting one for these trips. May yet do it....

As I recall, Jaylin got some good inexpensive "glasses cams" for riding. That may be a good way to go.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

pugbuddy wrote:Neotrotsky, what cams did you decide on? I've toyed with the idea of getting one for these trips. May yet do it....

As I recall, Jaylin got some good inexpensive "glasses cams" for riding. That may be a good way to go.
I ended up deciding on a Midlands XTC-100. It's only standard definition, but has the best battery life, 640x480 image stability and cost. After countless hours watching mind numbing video samples of various priced cameras on youtube, the XTC cameras were the best bang for the buck. The GoPro HD obviously is the best performing camera in the group, but even if you were able to find a base model one for $200, that would still be alot more than the $65 average for the Midlands one.

The video glasses seem like a neat idea, but with crash helmets and such, just doesn't seem practical. Also, I want something with Micro SD card or standard SD card support so I can upload it to my tablet or her MacBook to shuffle off space and to publish while on the road for updates.

Since I'm having to shell out for two sets of cameras (two for each helmet and two standard point-and-shoot video cameras that we can either mount on bikes or carry around that will have HD video), this seems like the best compromise. And, I've never usually had a need for bike-to-bike communication, but with her being a new rider I felt it would be a smart idea especially since the costs have come way down.