Scooters & Rider Sizing

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dead pressed

Scooters & Rider Sizing

Post by dead pressed »

Hi all,

Obviously a new member here, but I'm not new to the two wheeled crew. I had a number of mopeds (2 Kinetic,1 Honda, Tomos) in college, and even had a Sym Fiddle II-50 (that was stolen the day I bought it, but that's another story).

I'm looking into getting back into the 2-wheeled, 50cc game and have much interested in Genuine. Unfortunately, I don't have a dealer anywhere near me. Before farting around too much at the prospect of finding Genuine products, what would you guys say are the optimum rider sizes for each scooter?

See, I'm a larger guy (6'5") and saw a review on you tube (motorcycle USA, I believe) that mentioned that a 6'1" test rider was quite cramped on a Buddy. That's not all too surprising, but how would larger fellas do on a Roughhouse?

My wife and I are on the verge of pulling the trigger sooner or later, and new Tomos mopeds are another option to which I'm not opposed, as I've fit on some of their older stuff before.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
ender07

Post by ender07 »

I'm 6'2" and roughly 220lbs right now and I have both a buddy and roughhouse for me and my wife. I find the roughhouse much nicer for my build since it has a place to put your feet at the front of the foot base. The buddy still works fine but the RH is preferable for me when driving longer distances or commuting.
dead pressed

Post by dead pressed »

You figure another few inches would give someone trouble? As would expected, I most certainly plan on visiting a dealer and fitting myself to one, just want to make sure I'm in the same ballpark before I drive out of state to see one in person.

Also, to how fast have you been able to get the scooters? Read quite a bit online about the supposed stock speed for some people easily going 40+, but previous experience with even 50cc mopeds lends me to believe 30mph is more suitable. As mentioned I'm 6'5, 290 (+ on a bad day) and am interested in more anecdotal knowledge. :)
tortoise

Re: Scooters & Rider Sizing

Post by tortoise »

dead pressed wrote:Tomos mopeds are another option to which I'm not opposed
Tomos moped crankshaft bearing advisory.

Include the Tomos Nitro 50 scooter in your research . . review. A Znen might also be an option.
TVB

Post by TVB »

You'd need to derestrict it to get 40mph. My experience with the Buddy 50 is that, on level ground with no other mods and a 200-230lb rider, that's the realistic top speed.
Kovudom

Post by Kovudom »

Hey Dead, congratulations on considering a Genuine. For a guy your size, I would definitely recommend the Roughhouse for optimum fun and usability. I have no problem hitting 40mph+ on my (currently) restricted R50. What you said about the extra leg room is definitely true and one of the first things I noticed when getting used to the bike. Also, the seat is much larger and comfortable than I am used to, I often find myself feeling like I'm in a recliner. Best of luck to you in your search and happy scooting!
ender07

Post by ender07 »

I have no issues getting to 45-50 bmph indicated on flat stretches and I tend to sit in the middle/back of the seat and stretch my legs out. I would say you should have enough room, and if you don't feel as comfortable as you would like then you can always add some highway pegs for even more room!

My roughhouse and buddy are both derestricted and they definitely have some good pull and top speed for what they are. however, if you are going to be going up any hills a 125 might be a better option for you as I struggle to keep my speed up sometimes.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

The buddy fits me fine, but I'm 5'7" and 180. It doesn't have a ton of room in the floorboard.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

I am 5'11", and while the legroom was good, the reach was WAY too short! Then again I sit pretty far back on my agility to get good reach. Each body type is different and the buddy's
Proportions weren't made for European tolerances. You really do need to try one on
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

I'm 6'4", 230# and had a buddy for a while. I certainly LOOKED a bit goofy riding it but I was never uncomfortable on it. I think I managed to get it up to 55bmph on a downhill straightaway with the wind at my back (de-restricted, of course).
Throwback7R

Post by Throwback7R »

I am 6~ 6'1" size 10 shoes and if i am riding long distances i just sit on the back seat of my buddy and put my feet out in front of me. A lot more comfortable than my superbike.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

dead pressed wrote: how fast have you been able to get the scooters?
The very fact that you are asking this question, suggests that a 50 may not meet your needs. I would advise also considering a 125 such as the Buddy or the Zuma, which may better meet your requirements. The Yamaha 125 Zuma, for example, has somewhat the same layout as the Roughhouse, but more power and capabilities. Perhaps you have a Yamaha dealer nearby?
dead pressed

Post by dead pressed »

Throwback7R wrote:I am 6~ 6'1" size 10 shoes and if i am riding long distances i just sit on the back seat of my buddy and put my feet out in front of me. A lot more comfortable than my superbike.
Well, in addition to 3 more inches, I've got to add 7 sizes to your foot :cry: !
Dooglas wrote:
dead pressed wrote: how fast have you been able to get the scooters?
The very fact that you are asking this question, suggests that a 50 may not meet your needs. I would advise also considering a 125 such as the Buddy or the Zuma, which may better meet your requirements. The Yamaha 125 Zuma, for example, has somewhat the same layout as the Roughhouse, but more power and capabilities. Perhaps you have a Yamaha dealer nearby?
No, as stated in the OP-I'm familiar with 50cc and their power. I've just read that some riders have gotten Buddys & RHs over 40mph without issue and I'm looking for more anecdotal evidence. I feel as though that's a fair question, knowing I'm targeting the 50cc market, as similar priced 50cc Tomos mopeds struggle to get past 30 mph without a fair bit of modification (read: more than just pulling a washer out of the exhaust).

I'm keen on the 50cc due to lax laws in my state regarding licensure, registrations, etc as these are going to be weekend playthings---not a method of regular commuting for my purposes. I ask specifically on sizing and speed because I know from previous experience I can finagle a comfortable position out of, and modify as desired, the Tomos two-strokes. I'm just trying to get a basic gauge of sizing and speed before I drive out of state to sit on Genuines if it wasn't going to be worth it.
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

im 6 foot exactly, the rough house is nice tall scoot and fits me pretty well, ive gotten her up to 55 before ( derestricted) but im also a really light guy only weigh some where around 120.
wschmechel

Post by wschmechel »

I'm 6'1", but only have a 32" inseam (short legs) and go about 235 lbs. I have a Buddy 125, and I do not feel cramped at all as far as leg space. I have size 12 shoes which can sometimes feel uncomfortable on longer rides, but if you're just hopping around the city, you'll be sure to hit plenty of lights where you can stretch out. You can also put your feet on the rear footpegs which is a nice change of position.

My friend has a Zuma 125 (also comes in a 50cc), and that does have a bit more space in the cockpit. Those are nice bikes too, but I do love my Buddy!