OK, now I need some help deciding...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skully93

OK, now I need some help deciding...

Post by skully93 »

After riding my Kymco 250 some longer distances with my wife on the back, I've come to realize that we need just a bit more oomph. I would say that a motorcycle is in order, but my wife is having none of that. Even though it would be cheaper, and there are like a billion available right now.

There are many larger scoots that are OK, though the appearance of some makes me want to toss cookies.

The main ones I like both happen to be Piaggio. The BV350, new king of scoots, and the venerable Scarabeo 500ie.

There is a 'Beo 500 available, comes with mega tall/nice windshield and large topcase for about $3500. It has 15k miles, and the consignment dealer is retrieving the service records. He has the older records but not newer, and I'd like to know if the belt/rollers and valve adjustments have been done. Might add up!

The Bv350 obviously is more money, and the accessories would have to be saved up for too. it would put that purchase a year off, but add the brand new factor and better overall mpg. I'm not certain of it's 2 up ability at interstate speeds though.

Thoughts?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The BV will require less maintenance.

The two have very different ergonomics. Have you sat on both?

I like the Beo 500s a lot but have been told that they're a pain to work on and can be time-consuming (meaning costly).

For a 350, the BV is pretty damn strong — the point of all that "efficient thermodynamics" and other engineering Piaggio put into them.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Are you gonna trade another bike in? I agree with Eric. He seems to sum it up rather well...
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

I got a chance to see one of those BV350's up close and in person and it is a damn nice looking machine. Guy that owned it said it did two up rather well and that he did do long distance trips with no problem. Of course relating someones else's experience and trying one on for yourself are two different animals.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
TVB

Re: OK, now I need some help deciding...

Post by TVB »

skully93 wrote:After riding my Kymco 250 some longer distances with my wife on the back, I've come to realize that we need just a bit more oomph. I would say that a motorcycle is in order, but my wife is having none of that.
Have you considered a second 250?
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

I realize some dealerships really don't update their websites at all, but there's a NOS 'Beo 500 on a DEN dealer's site for not a lot more than the used one you described...
skully93

Post by skully93 »

heh, good points all.

The bv350 will of course have the newest tech, warranty, better fuel economy, etc.

I have sat on both, and both are comfy. Unfortunately neither allow your feet into a 'cruiser' position, which is something that would be nice for long trips.

The reason I have not considered getting a 2nd 250 is that:

1) 250's are pretty rare used, and new they are more than the 500 used.
2) We're looking for a 2 up machine. She may change her mind one day, but right now she's just getting used to a buddy 125. She's happier pillion for faster speeds. She still won't let me get a motorcycle though, which would be more cost effective. Perception I guess.

Ravenlore, do you have a link to the site you were looking at?
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

skully93 wrote:heh, good points all.

The bv350 will of course have the newest tech, warranty, better fuel economy, etc.

I have sat on both, and both are comfy. Unfortunately neither allow your feet into a 'cruiser' position, which is something that would be nice for long trips.

The reason I have not considered getting a 2nd 250 is that:

1) 250's are pretty rare used, and new they are more than the 500 used.
2) We're looking for a 2 up machine. She may change her mind one day, but right now she's just getting used to a buddy 125. She's happier pillion for faster speeds. She still won't let me get a motorcycle though, which would be more cost effective. Perception I guess.

Ravenlore, do you have a link to the site you were looking at?

PM forthcoming.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

The BV 350 is a solid ride and quite capable. My only criticism would be the ergonomics for a tall rider. The reason that Piaggio and Aprilia are discontinuing their 500s in the US is that the 350 engine is nearly as powerful and the bike is lighter than the 500s, so they feel the 350 spans this part of the market. (all newer maxiscooters in the 500-700 cc range have been twins, so one might guess at a new product line of that type at some point)