Red Light Laws by State

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Edwub

Red Light Laws by State

Post by Edwub »

(hey guys - this seems to come up now and then: why don't we update this list, edit the top post, and move it to the FAQ or something?

Is something similar already made over at MV? It seems like this would be a good resource to quickly point people to.

In my opinion, each piece of info should link to the specific statute/bill/law/whatever for reference and even printing a copy.

-------------------------------

States that allow riding through a red light:

What seems to be in common in all states that allow it is that you need to be extremely cautious! 'Right of way' (should a scooterist opposite you also be waiting in vain) works the same as at a stop sign.

Arkansas

Idaho

Illinois
Jan. 2012
[bill # link] allows riding through a non-changing red light after a "reasonable amount" of time.

Minnesota

Missouri.
Section 304-285, revised August 2011.
If the light "show[s] a red light for an unreasonable time" and the sensor obviously doesn't pick you up, you may carefully ride through.

North Carolina

Oklahoma
Section 47-11-202, Traffic-Control signals, 3. Steady red indication
As of Nov. 2010, "driver of a motorcycle facing any steady red signal may cautiously proceed through the intersection" if you've been waiting and no one else is approaching the intersection.

South Carolina

Tennessee
TCA 55-8-110, scroll to "section (b)."
If you've been waiting patiently at a red, and you think the sensor doesn't recognize you, you "may proceed with due caution when it is safe to do so."

Virginia
Virginia House Bill 1981
You can proceed through a red light after waiting for "two complete cycles of the traffic light."

Wisconsin

States that do not allow it, but address it:

California.
From 2008 through 2018, AB 1581:
While you can't run the red light, you can report it if the sensor doesn't recognize you. Cities and counties must adjust traffic light sensors to be sensitive enough to detect motorcycles, scooters, and even bicycles.
(Source)

All other states either do not address the issue, or have not been updated in this thread!

Any updates would be appreciated, but please try to source to something official.

//last updated Dec 30, 2011 9:15am. + state names, no info yet.
Last edited by Edwub on Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

Virginia House Bill 1981

B. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, if a driver of a motorcycle or moped or a bicycle rider approaches an intersection that is controlled by a traffic light, the driver or rider may proceed through the intersection on a steady red light only if the driver or rider (i) comes to a full and complete stop at the intersection for two complete cycles of the traffic light, (ii) exercises due care as provided by law, (iii) otherwise treats the traffic control device as a stop sign, and (iv) determines that it is safe to proceed.

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604 ... ful+HB1981
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Missouri 304.285: "reasonable time", revised August 2011.

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C300-399/3040000285.HTM
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

Tennessee -- TCA 55-8-110, section (b):

Notwithstanding any provision of law to the contrary, the driver of a motorcycle approaching an intersection that is controlled by a traffic-control signal utilizing a vehicle detection device that is inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle shall come to a full and complete stop at the intersection and, after exercising due care as provided by law, may proceed with due caution when it is safe to do so. It is not a defense to a violation of § 55-8-109 that the driver of a motorcycle proceeded under the belief that a traffic-control signal utilized a vehicle detection device or was inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle when such signal did not utilize a vehicle detection device or that any such device was not in fact inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle.

This means it's the cop's call as to whether you "proceed(ed) with due caution," but I've done this with cops present, and never been stopped for it. Not that that means anything!
DanielPerrin

Post by DanielPerrin »

Oklahoma effective Nov 1, 2010 SECTION 47-11-202, Traffic-Control signals, 3. Steady red indication, d:
http://www.oklegislature.gov/osstatuestitle.html
http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/OK_St ... s/os47.rtf

d. notwithstanding any other provision of law, the driver of a motorcycle facing any steady red signal may cautiously proceed through the intersection only if:

(1) the motorcycle has been brought to a complete stop as required by subparagraph a of this paragraph,

(2) the traffic control signal is programmed or engineered to change to a green signal only after detecting the approach of a motor vehicle and has failed to detect the arrival of the motorcycle because of its size or weight, and

(3) no motor vehicle or person is approaching on the roadway to be crossed or entered, or the motor vehicle or person is at a distance from the intersection that does not constitute an immediate hazard.

The law is vague on how long to wait, and no specific stop duration is specified. It does seem that you should only expect a ticket if you don't come to a complete stop or if an approaching vehicle/person constitutes an immediate hazard.
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

For the record, I'm jealous of you guys and your ability to proceed cautiously :P I can't tell you the number of times I've been sitting there brewing in anger waiting to turn left.

Though, like a schmuck, I've not once yet reported a light to the city to try to see if they'd change its sensitivity.
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

Edwub wrote:For the record, I'm jealous of you guys and your ability to proceed cautiously :P I can't tell you the number of times I've been sitting there brewing in anger waiting to turn left.

Though, like a schmuck, I've not once yet reported a light to the city to try to see if they'd change its sensitivity.
Fortunately, Tennessee also allows right-on-red (after a full stop, exercising due caution, yielding, etc.) AND U-turns! So... we have it pretty good. :)
teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

North Carolina

According to my MSF instructor, you can only legally ride through a red light after waiting at least 3 minutes and it doesn't change signals.
slusher5

Post by slusher5 »

in houston I feel like the cops would let it slide as long as you were waiting/not causing a hazard
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

In VA, it is also generally acceptable to go if the light does not pick you up... even though I don't think the Bill says that specifically
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: Red Light Laws by State

Post by ericalm »

Edwub wrote:(hey guys - this seems to come up now and then: why don't we update this list, edit the top post, and move it to the FAQ or something?

Is something similar already made over at MV? It seems like this would be a good resource to quickly point people to.

In my opinion, each piece of info should link to the specific statute/bill/law/whatever for reference and even printing a copy.
viewtopic.php?p=247000#247000

And pretty much the same on the MV Wiki:
http://modernvespa.com/forum/wiki-trafficsignals
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I don't have S. Carolina in my list but will search for it.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

Can someone please translate "You can proceed through a red light after waiting for "two complete cycles of the traffic light." for me?

If the light remains red, at what point is there even one complete cycle, let alone two?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

BlueMark wrote:Can someone please translate "You can proceed through a red light after waiting for "two complete cycles of the traffic light." for me?

If the light remains red, at what point is there even one complete cycle, let alone two?
That refers to left turn lights. You can watch them cycle through without ever triggering your light. Alternately, some intersections get their own green cycle (left turns included in this cycling) but if no traffic is sensed, it will skip the "vacant" directions and let the other traffic have their turns.

Clear as mud, no?
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

Doh, Eric!

Well...this list includes specific citations? Having the law handy for reference surely is of use. Maybe this can be incorporated into those threads...

Bluemark - left turn arrow lanes? I've had it happen to me several times in Los Angeles. I'm waiting to turn left, sensor doesn't pick me up. IE, only the major directions cycle (North-South, East-West, repeat. No left turn arrows)
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

A few days ago (so sorry no link) I read an article about various new state laws and TX will be implementing the red light rule after a "reasonable" amount of time. I do not know when the changes start once something has been approved though.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Yeah!
We have it in IL
Here is the story from my hometown Patch
http://patch.com/A-pTFn
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

This may be too late as my court date is on the 25th, but does anyone know what the laws are in Colorado?

I was at one of those types of intersection, demand-actuated is the term that I just learned, and it didn't change. So, I looked around and since there was no cars coming in any directions I went. Of course a cop pulled out from somewhere and now I have a 4-point ticket. I feel really stupid because I guess I could've just gotten off and run across the street to press the button, but at 10pm at night who would've thought that there'd be a cop hiding there.
» Current: 2006 Saabaru 9-2x Aero, 2006 Scion xB, Original '07 Series Italia, 2003 Marin Highway One
» Departed: 2004 Subaru WRX, 1999 1/2 VW GTI
slusher5

Post by slusher5 »

un_designer wrote:This may be too late as my court date is on the 25th, but does anyone know what the laws are in Colorado?

I was at one of those types of intersection, demand-actuated is the term that I just learned, and it didn't change. So, I looked around and since there was no cars coming in any directions I went. Of course a cop pulled out from somewhere and now I have a 4-point ticket. I feel really stupid because I guess I could've just gotten off and run across the street to press the button, but at 10pm at night who would've thought that there'd be a cop hiding there.
cop probably would've stopped to ask you why you hopped off the scooter and pressed the crosswalk button =p.. "have you been drinking tonight?" lol

ohh and i found this...

Colorado: 42-4-612, if the light is malfunctioning or stays steady red during "several time cycles" the rules for entering a street or highway from a stop street or highway apply (treat it like a stop sign).

just be sure to tell them you waited, if not, tell them you already knew the sensor wouldn't detect you so you proceeded with caution
Jackie F

Post by Jackie F »

Washington State: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary ... &year=2012

I think a big issue is red light cameras, but I have no idea if these cameras take photos of two wheelers.