good gear for multiple crashes?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

slusher5

good gear for multiple crashes?

Post by slusher5 »

I'm hoping I don't crash but I would like to seriously improve on my cornering and I feel like the two go together.
gear I currently own:
3/4 face helmet
joe rocket mesh jacket w/ shoulder, back, and forearm padding
---
(considering buying)
Shift Racing - Fuel Street Shoes
Corazzo Carbone gloves

I'm guessing the jacket and would be one time use, the helmet could possibly be good afterwards, and the gloves and boots would have even better chances of holding up.

would knee pads work to protect the uncovered parts of my legs from abrasion or what kind of pants offer both abrasion and impact protection?

I guess the best option is a track suit, but I need something cheaper and more practical.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

The helmet will be one use only. The jacket and the rest could hold up, but a helmet should be replaced after pretty much any impact.

Crashing in a turn is a great place to hit parts of your face not covered by a 3/4 helmet. If you're sort of planning a crash here you might want to consider a change to a full face.

Kevlar jeans or other riding pants would offer the most abrasion protection, and, yes, knee armor would certainly help.

I crashed in the Carbone gloves. They got pretty torn up but held up and protected me when it counted.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

A used track suit can be an option.

I roadraced for years and recognize the value of a full track suit. But, the practicality of daily wear of such a suit is not there. Its hot and not comfy, but what I want to be wearing if I'm going to crash.

That is why all the mesh gear and such exists. Yes, it may be a "one crash jacket". But it is well worth it. If you are doing this right you shouldn't be crashing all the time, but you should be prepared for it :)

If your helmet hits the ground with your head in it. Get a new one. Me personally? A full face all the way.

Leather holds up way better than textiles, but it is also more expensive. Vanson makes a great perforated leather track jacket ( I have one), but its NOT cheap.

Bottom line, get the best gear you can afford, and always wear it! You will end up with different gear for different situations. If you are going on the track, or out to ride HARD. A track suit may be worth wearing. But going to work or for a coffee. Its just not practical.

Also, FYI Jeans aren't worth much in a serious crash for look for some kind of overpant . Gloves are critical IMO. Get something good. And above all...try not to crash ! LOL
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

ANY gear is going to be compromised in an accident, therefore being less effective if the need arises again. While you may get away with multiple impacts on a jacket or riding pants without incident, a helmet is NOT something I would ever use after even one moderate drop off my bike on the pavement! Helmets are made to absorb energy, not to shield you from impacts. The materials are made to take energy and dissipate it. The moment you compromise that shell or compress that foam inside, that's it. It's done it's job and it's ready for the recycling center.

Yes, it's very expensive, but this is about your head and possibly other bits on your body. I've used jackets after they have taken a fall, but if any tears appear then it's off for a new one. I'm not much of a safety nazi but gear is the only bit between me and pavement. I'm not even one of those "SNELL ARIA/SHOEI or don't ride!". I'm a fan of DOT from a good reviewed brand and a proper FITTING helmet above all else. But, I don't risk multiple impacts when it comes to helmets. In fact, the helmet is the most fragile part of your gear
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
slusher5

Post by slusher5 »

viney266 wrote:A used track suit can be an option.

I roadraced for years and recognize the value of a full track suit. But, the practicality of daily wear of such a suit is not there. Its hot and not comfy, but what I want to be wearing if I'm going to crash.

That is why all the mesh gear and such exists. Yes, it may be a "one crash jacket". But it is well worth it. If you are doing this right you shouldn't be crashing all the time, but you should be prepared for it :)

If your helmet hits the ground with your head in it. Get a new one. Me personally? A full face all the way.

Leather holds up way better than textiles, but it is also more expensive. Vanson makes a great perforated leather track jacket ( I have one), but its NOT cheap.

Bottom line, get the best gear you can afford, and always wear it! You will end up with different gear for different situations. If you are going on the track, or out to ride HARD. A track suit may be worth wearing. But going to work or for a coffee. Its just not practical.

Also, FYI Jeans aren't worth much in a serious crash for look for some kind of overpant . Gloves are critical IMO. Get something good. And above all...try not to crash ! LOL
lots of great info, thanks
craigslist/motorcycle forums my best bet for used track suits?

in terms of protection what gear is "you get what you pay for" and what gear doesn't matter?
slusher5

Post by slusher5 »

i know that helmets are one time use when it comes to impacts, but I thought if you crashed low side and only scraped the helmet that it might be ok.

scratches wouldn't compromise the protection would it? or do people replace because they want to be cautious?

Edit--
whenever I watch scooter racing videos and they fall off, they just get back on and continue w/o changing helmets. i can't remember but i think their heads don't hit the ground

Ohh, and I'm kind of lanky. do you know what my options are? they make slim fit suits, would i need to get custom, or a few sizes smaller?
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

ANY impact compromises a helmet. It's an all or nothing deal since the entire structure depends on a continuous disbursement of energy (round things are weakest when their surface is not constant). Also, taking safety cues from racing footage isn't always the best idea: Most scooter racing teams aren't running 100% full regulation if you catch my drift.

Also, I personally would NEVER buy used gear! Perhaps for a jacket, but even then... I am of the mindset that EVERYONE on Craigslist lies and that there's a reason they want to get rid of it, and I don't want to be that sucker who gets stuck with that reason. As for "You get what you pay for", I don't always find that to be true. There are aspects to gear you should look for, such as at LEAST a DOT rating on a helmet (but careful about the DOT vs SNELL debate: that could get ugly as to each side has their opinions on why the other is a better rating). Also, a jacket with Cordura Nylon of at least 600 denier is a must as well as CE armor. CE armor is one of those foam inserts that become rigid during impact, thus allowing you to dissipate more energy with less "stuff" in the way. I personally won't ride in a jacket without a spine plate either but that's just me. The nice part with jackets is that you can find one you like and add more CE armor or extra plates as you see fit on the inside or outside. They even sell full plate vests to wear under basic riding jackets that offer fantastic protection if you're that paranoid. And, if you are looking at fabric, Kevlar is always a plus.

As for brand, everyone has an opinion. Some are constant and have multiple good reviews. Some are opinion only by gear snobs. There are companies who ride the "expensive is better" mantra to a fault like Aria, but people swear by them. Then there are companies like Scorpion who have a great reputation without costing a whole lot. When it comes to helmets, Fiberglass>Polycarbonate in my opinion, but then again I currently ride with a nice plastic lid myself that fits great. Fit is #1 right next to DOT minimum rating. If it doesn't fit like a glove, your head's going to rattle around and it won't absorb energy proper. Take the time to find the right fit.

Do you have to buy top-shelf everything to be safe? Hell no. But, there are components and materials you should look for. Once you understand how the gear is made, it makes shopping for gear you can afford alot easier and much more clear. Understand the physics of how the gear works, and alot of this becomes alot easier to understand.

Gear is expensive no matter how you swing it. But, it's worth it!
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
slusher5

Post by slusher5 »

guess I will ride more cautious til I can afford better gear =p if only asphalt wasn't so hard
blorf

Post by blorf »

all this crash talk makes me nervous.
LunaP

Re: good gear for multiple crashes?

Post by LunaP »

slusher5 wrote: (considering buying)
Shift Racing - Fuel Street Shoes
Corazzo Carbone gloves

I'm guessing the jacket and would be one time use, the helmet could possibly be good afterwards, and the gloves and boots would have even better chances of holding up.

would knee pads work to protect the uncovered parts of my legs from abrasion or what kind of pants offer both abrasion and impact protection?

I guess the best option is a track suit, but I need something cheaper and more practical.
This is just Lokky and I- but we don't have a great opinion of Corazzo's stuff. The two or three pieces we've had experience with were not warm enough for our region (which is not really a problem for you, I assume), weren't designed very smartly (in the case of the jacket I tried out) and didn't last very long (in the case of the gloves he has). The Carbone gloves are exactly what he/I own... he used them for exactly one summer and they are literally falling apart. Some layers are peeling, and seams are splitting. I have fabric-glued the splitting seams, as they are small and thankfully in places which are less worrisome than other places would be, and the glue seems to be holding up well. It just bothered us that they had to be retired after just one SEASON of riding. They are now a backup pair of gloves... I do have to say that they breathe incredibly well, and I currently prefer wearing them with a fleece and silk liner in them instead of my winter gloves because of the extra flexibility for my still slightly sore previously broken/hyperextended fingers. They ARE good summer gloves... they just didn't last very long AT ALL.

He replaced them with the Rev'It Sand gloves. I was looking at Cortech gloves similar to the Corazzo Carbone.

Also, I ordered and tried some kneepads- I liked them, but they were 'one size fits most' and the straps definitely did NOT fit my giant swimmer's calves. But they were fairly inexpensive- about 40 for the pair.

Depending on the crash, you could walk away with everything or nothing. If you strike your helmet proper (not just visor) it needs to be replaced- even if there is no visible damage, protection inside could have been compromised. Your jacket can be scuffed or scratched and still give you protection- whether you want to wear the jacket in cosmetically defective condition is up to you 8) Same with boots and gloves. Additionally, most jackets have removable armor so you can inspect the armor itself and replace individual pieces if you choose. :wink:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

How many crashes you planning on having?

If you're concerned about it and want to get some protection from gear, it's probably best to focus on surviving one at a time and get the best stuff you can. If you're so concerned you'd even consider a track suit, then a 3/4 helmet seems like an odd decision. Why cover everything except your face, which is very vulnerable?

FWIW, I've had 2 helmets and a jacket replaced by the responsible parties' insurance after crashes. Yay?
blorf wrote:all this crash talk makes me nervous.
More important
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
La

Gear that can be repaired

Post by La »

I believe that Cycleport, Aerostitch and Vanson will repair their gear if damaged in a crash. I like that option enough to have gear from all three of those companies. There are also companies that have older models of their gear, with quality materials, that go for cheap enough that it would not be too financially devastating to replace them. Just because they are an old style? That's crazy! If you really want to get an anecdotal taste for how various gear does in a crash, many MC forums have a crash reports section.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

in fact while Helmets don't come with many instructions I think all will says a fall from 3-5 ft will render it useless. This is why I cringe when I see a helmet resting on a seat. If it gets knocked off, it won't look worse for the wear but it will now be considered useless to protect you :(
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ericalm wrote:
More important
Proof of ADD.

What I meant to say was that it's more important to be realistic about the dangers, take responsibility and be prepared for them. Nerves will just cause problems!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

If you don't have a fullface helmet, your odds go down in a crash. It really is a fullface helmet or nothing. The only type of gear that can survive a crash and be reused is leather, and not fashion leather, but 14mil leather. Most gloves are toast after a crash because your hands are the first thing that get thrown out when you're going down. Unless you are wearing a pair of high end racing gauntlets, you'll be replacing your gloves. Anything other than full on MC boots will be destroyed if they impact in a crash. If you are not wearing leather pants, you need to have armor underneath whatever pants you are wearing, because whatever "street" pants you are wearing, including jeans, are going to shred as soon as you hit pavement with them.

think of it this way.....run as fast as you can and throw yourself down on the road.....you know it's going to hurt and you're going to get damaged. How fast can you run? How fast can your scooter go? figure it out.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
slusher5

Post by slusher5 »

I took a spill going around 25-30 and my jeans tore like paper.. jeans are in no way protection. my belt(leather or pleather) got scuffed but still in great condition, my t-shirt had like 10 BB sized holes from where i landed, and my flat shoes with no ankle support had like 2 small holes... I was extremely lucky to say the least.

I ended up buying some gear, not track suit, just casual city riding gear.

shift racing kicker shoes
teknic chicane short gloves
icon arc overpants
blorf

Post by blorf »

ericalm wrote:
ericalm wrote:
More important
Proof of ADD.

What I meant to say was that it's more important to be realistic about the dangers, take responsibility and be prepared for them. Nerves will just cause problems!
true true.
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: Gear that can be repaired

Post by ericalm »

We have a pretty strict policy about not lecturing people about what kind of gear they choose to wear. Let's all try to stay on the right side of being helpful and answering questions rather than hopping up on our soapboxes.
rsrider wrote:It really is a fullface helmet or nothing.
For you, maybe but plenty of people in open face helmets survive their crashes, avoid injury or simply don't crash. That "all or nothing" kind of rhetoric isn't really useful. An open face helmet is undoubtably better than nothing in regards to protection.

However, there's no denying that probability of injury goes up when wearing an open face helmet and that the type of injury can be catastrophic. I have friends with scars on their face and know one young woman who lost four front teeth. They all got off easy compared to a local rider who suffered severe face trauma from a crash at around 40-45mph. Does it happen to everyone? Of course not. But I'd take another shoulder injury over severe face trauma. (Knock wood. Yikes.)

It sounds like the OP has accepted that more/better coverage means lower chances of injury when it comes to other gear, so, as I said earlier, an open face seems like an odd decision given other concerns.
La wrote:I believe that Cycleport, Aerostitch and Vanson will repair their gear if damaged in a crash.
Some helmet companies also have replacement plans. (Don't expect to get that in a lid under $250!)
If you really want to get an anecdotal taste for how various gear does in a crash, many MC forums have a crash reports section.
As do we.
topic635.html

We can learn a lot about more than gear there.
slusher5

Post by slusher5 »

well,, a few reasons why I didn't mention buying a full face.. I didnt think low speed cornering resulted in head collisions very often, mostly sliding
also just got my helmet painted

i plan on getting one, just not soon

when i first started riding i had a used 1/2 shell that came with the bike, ik not smart idea to wear a used helmet

eventually got 3/4 instead of full face because, i didnt want to be looking like a motorcyclist, now IDGAF, i'm more self confident after 3 years of riding my scooter =)
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

rsrider wrote:you need to have armor underneath whatever pants you are wearing, because whatever "street" pants you are wearing, including jeans, are going to shred as soon as you hit pavement with them.
When I took the low-side, dove into the pavement, and broke my finger, I was wearing my favorite pair of jeans. Now, I wasn't going fast at all- it was a jam-the-brakes-for-your-life thing, but I hit the ground hard enough to skid enough to get some bad road rash on my left knee and slightly below. Not a scratch or scuff on my jeans. Just blood on the inside and some transferred fibers... it really sucked to wash out :cry:

This is why I was looking for kneepads! Even if the pants DON'T shred, you may STILL get burned!! :shock:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

slusher5 wrote:I didnt think low speed cornering resulted in head collisions very often, mostly sliding
Not just planning for multiple crashes—you also know what kind you want to have!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I've got to ask - 3 years of riding experience and you appear to be expecting multiple crashes in the near future. Well. not that good gear is not the thing to do - but if you really are expecting multiple low side crashes (for example) over the next few months, the problem is not gear. Gear is good, but rider skills and some degree of good judgement in how hard to push it and when are far more important. :wink:
slusher5

Post by slusher5 »

ericalm wrote: Not just planning for multiple crashes—you also know what kind you want to have!
lol =)
Dooglas wrote:I've got to ask - 3 years of riding experience and you appear to be expecting multiple crashes in the near future. Well. not that good gear is not the thing to do - but if you really are expecting multiple low side crashes (for example) over the next few months, the problem is not gear. Gear is good, but rider skills and some degree of good judgement in how hard to push it and when are far more important. :wink:
thought i made it clear, but I'm looking to improve on my cornering, eventually get into racing. I do city driving all day with no problems, but when it comes to hanging off the bike I am a novice. just trying to get some info before a crash instead of afterwards.
beastmaster

Post by beastmaster »

i just were like a white tee some basketball shorts some riding glasses and my flip flops . and im good!!!! :lol:
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

slusher5 wrote:thought i made it clear, but I'm looking to improve on my cornering, eventually get into racing. I do city driving all day with no problems, but when it comes to hanging off the bike I am a novice. just trying to get some info before a crash instead of afterwards.
I recommend doing the center stand cut-down mod before even attempting that kind of cornering. Also, upgrade your shocks.
slusher5

Post by slusher5 »

ericalm wrote: I recommend doing the center stand cut-down mod before even attempting that kind of cornering. Also, upgrade your shocks.
found the mod your talking bout, thanks
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

ericalm wrote:We have a pretty strict policy about not lecturing people about what kind of gear they choose to wear. Let's all try to stay on the right side of being helpful and answering questions rather than hopping up on our soapboxes.
For you, maybe but plenty of people in open face helmets survive their crashes, avoid injury or simply don't crash. That "all or nothing" kind of rhetoric isn't really useful. An open face helmet is undoubtably better than nothing in regards to protection.
With no disrespect to your policy, but if you aren't wearing a fullface helmet when you're riding a motorized two wheel vehicle, you're playing a game with the odds stacked AGAINST you. You can not direct your body's point of impact within the milliseconds that occur after a crash. Physics doesn't work like that. You are going to impact where the direction of force puts you, and you may instinctively be able to get your hands up, but inertia will still drive the rest of your body forward, and if the part of the body happens to be your face, you're going to plant right behind your hands. I've seen too much carnage to even think about wearing anything but a fullface. I have a friend who crashed on a bicycle, and he was an accomplished rider, touring Europe etc etc, it only took one crash to turn him into a person with the mental capacity of a 10 year old. That was on a bicycle, with a helmet, with an experienced and competent rider. And that's just one example. This guy wants to crash over and over again, if he doesn't wear a fullface helmet, the odds are he won't make it past the first one.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

In terms of safety, I think the consensus we can all agree on is:
no helmet < half-helmet < 3/4 helmet < full helmet

Yes, a full helmet is better than a three-quarter, which is better than a half helmet, which is better than nothing. That's the chain, but it's not necessarily scaled.

What I think you're arguing is that:

none < half < 3/4 <<<<<< full.

Alright, that's fine. But not everyone will agree to the same ratios. I think the rule Eric is talking about is not arguing whether it's

none < half < 3/4 <<<<<< full
none <half <<< 3/4 <<< full
none <half <<<3/4 <full

or whatever, because there's no definite conclusion.
Impossible for consensus, much less a unanimous agreement.

So for the sake of politeness, we leave it be?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

rsrider wrote:
ericalm wrote:We have a pretty strict policy about not lecturing people about what kind of gear they choose to wear. Let's all try to stay on the right side of being helpful and answering questions rather than hopping up on our soapboxes.
With no disrespect to your policy, but if you aren't wearing a fullface helmet when you're riding a motorized two wheel vehicle, you're playing a game with the odds stacked AGAINST you.
I'm not arguing that and went on to say pretty much the same. But it's not an "full face or nothing" proposition. That kind of hyperbolic rhetoric isn't helpful and does little to convince people compared to honest assessments of t he risks and sharing personal experiences and knowledge.

We're all playing a probability game when we ride. The odds are always stacked against us. We opt to engage in an activity that immediately increases our probabilities of injury and death. Every decision we make can either reduce or increase those risks.

A 3/4 helmet reduces risk of head injury in the event of a crash. I don't really think you can make any kind of argument against that. Does it reduce the risk to the degree a full face does? No. Does a full face guarantee a rider will not have a head injury? No, not any more than wearing a 3/4 is a guarantee that you'll wind up with a broken jaw.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

slusher5 wrote:thought i made it clear, but I'm looking to improve on my cornering, eventually get into racing. I do city driving all day with no problems, but when it comes to hanging off the bike I am a novice. just trying to get some info before a crash instead of afterwards.
Well, I have also worked at improving my cornering and I have done that without repeated low sides, so I don't think the crashes are mandatory :wink: . Now, I will grant you that serious racing is a whole different deal that involves pushing the limits - but I would say that gearing up for racing is also a different deal than gearing up for an afternoon ride.
Bolbos

Post by Bolbos »

On the conversation between rsrider and Ericalm I feel obligated to chime in:

I think Ericalm, posting/rebuking as Site Administrator, is out of line here (said with love). The original poster asked a question on the topic of gear and safety. Rsrider responded with a point of view and opinion, which is rather precisely what the OP is asking for and generally what makes the world go around here.

That the opinion is 'preachy or rhetorical', is an argument that can be used for thousands of posts on this forum. When you take it a step further and consider that the 'preachy' poster is lobbying out of a concern of safety, I have to unbiasedly say (I wear a 3/4) that either the rules of this forum on this topic or the role of a Site Administrator is being abused or mishandled. And 'strictly enforced rule to not preach about gear'.....really?? I suggest offing a rule that treats posters like two year olds. Certainly an Administrator can handle an individual thread or poster that gets out of hand. Nothing of that sort was apparent here.

In this instance, I saw Rsrider's opinion rebuked as being 'rhetoric and helping no one'. Au contraire, the rebuke really helped no one and is, indeed, unnecessarily preachy in its own right. The opinion of Ericalm is obviously as valid as anybody's, but to suggest a posting transgression, as an acting Site Administrator, was not warranted. And on a topic such as safety and helmets, I can't think of a worse place to show such a heavy hand regarding 'rules and etiquettes'. Ericalm and I may not agree with rsrider about the exclusive use of a full face helmet, but I would certainly rather hear his point of view rather than have such an opinion squelched. That----helps no one, and it this case---could conceivably some day cost a life, or at least a face. Again, said with love.
Last edited by Bolbos on Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I wouldn't plan for crashes, but if you're really concerned, take some of the more advanced classes at your local instructor. most colleges offer them. Due to weather I had to reschedule my motorcycle class, and I don't need one for my 50cc beast, but I feel it's important. I will probably also take the intermediate and possibly advanced ones.

A friend of mine took an advanced racing course. It took him 2 weekends and $3000, but, he got to ride, crash, and do all manner of nonsense on a closed course with gear they tossed when they were done. they also put some stoppers all over the bike so it didn't get too trashed.

I know I'll regret saying this in the summer, but I only wear full face. Does it look silly when driving at 20mph on a tiny 50cc? Yes. Will I look even sillier with half my face sanded off because some twit cut me off? An even bigger and more emphatic yes.
superseagulls

Post by superseagulls »

If you're going to crash that often, shouldn't these be an important addition?

http://www.abikestore.com/media/catalog ... wheels.jpg
People say that I'm crazy
But I'm not that way inclined
I know what I know and I'll happily show
That madness is all in the mind
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Bolbos wrote:On the conversation between rsrider and Ericalm I feel obligated to chime in:
Validity of opinion isn't the question here. Here is what the Guidelines state:
GENERAL BEHAVIOR
The purpose of Modern Buddy is to inform, educate, entertain and bring us together as a community. This is a forum where scooterists of all ranges of experience, backgrounds and knowledge levels could come and discuss things without feeling intimidated or assaulted by the hostility often found elsewhere. Be civil to one another. Treat everyone with respect. Keep it friendly and remember that not everyone shares your particular viewpoint, nor should anyone be ridiculed or patronized for not believing or behaving exactly as you do.

This is especially true in discussions of helmet and gear use. It's okay to share facts and personal anecdotes, but please refrain from criticizing others, preaching to them, or using rhetoric ("I wear a full face because I like my face," etc.) in the forum. This type of language does little to sway others who decide to assume the additional risks of wearing less gear. Though Modern Buddy encourages use of proper riding gear and helmets, we have no official policy other than not condemning others for the decisions they make regarding what they wear.
(Emphasis added.)
Bolbos wrote:That the opinion is 'preachy or rhetorical', is an argument that can be used for thousands of posts on this forum. When you take it a step further and consider that the 'preachy' poster is lobbying out of a concern of safety, I have to unbiasedly say (I wear a 3/4) that either the rules of this forum on this topic or the role of a Site Administrator is being abused or mishandled. And 'strictly enforced rule to not preach about gear'.....really?? I suggest offing a rule that treats posters like two year olds. Certainly an Administrator can handle an individual thread or poster that gets out of hand. Nothing of that sort was apparent here..
I hate to come out and say this, particularly since we normally take a very light hand in moderating this forum, but: I create the rules. I enforce the rules with the Moderators, who are selected and appointed by me. You're entitled to disagree and suggest whatever rules you like, but this isn't a democracy.

Every member of the forum agrees to abide buy the Guidelines when they register. They're not arbitrary. People getting on the gear soapbox turns off a lot of people, especially new members who might eventually benefit from the knowledge and experience of others and make different or decisions in the long run if they stick around long enough.

As far as I'm concerned, it's more important to have a welcoming and informative environment for new (and existing) members than allow people to lecture and get preachy about gear. And that's all I have to say about this.

If you have anything further to "discuss" about the matter, PM me as I'm sure this is tedious for everyone else here.
slusher5

Post by slusher5 »

superseagulls wrote:If you're going to crash that often, shouldn't these be an important addition?

http://www.abikestore.com/media/catalog ... wheels.jpg
uncalled for, sorry for wanting to take precaution.. Not that I'm a terrible rider, but most people make mistakes when trying something new.. If i were to make a mistake I'd rather pay a little extra to buy gear that would survive multiple crashes than save a few dollars upfront and have it one and done.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

La wrote:I believe that Cycleport, Aerostitch and Vanson will repair their gear if damaged in a crash. I like that option enough to have gear from all three of those companies. There are also companies that have older models of their gear, with quality materials, that go for cheap enough that it would not be too financially devastating to replace them. Just because they are an old style? That's crazy! If you really want to get an anecdotal taste for how various gear does in a crash, many MC forums have a crash reports section.
Because this post actually answers the OPs original question but has gotten lost, I repeat here and break it out: I will add Rukka to the list. I don't know where'd you get it repaired in the US, but it definitely held up to a hit-and-run suffered by my boyfriend.

The US supplier for Rukka is an a**. You'd be better off finding it used (I've gotten two Rukka jackets used, one for $100 and one for $125) knowing repair work is going to have to be by a good local seamstress/tailor.

Helimot will repair gloves. The guy is a complete nutter; I'd love to meet him and I'd love to have a pair of his gloves (but I went Held, which are awesome).

This is a case where some of the uber-expensive gear makes sense because not only will it protect you well in a down, it will continue to protect you after a spill because it will hold up and/or can be repaired.

You also may want to think of gear cost along the lines of a cost-per-mile travelled. If you ride every day, you will want really good gear just from a comfort standpoint. There is wear on gear from pulling on/off a jacket, zippers become difficult to use/split, pulls go, snaps go, colors fade, the butts of pants wear, boots get scuffed, heels wear down.

The best value is buy USED.
Raiderfn311

Post by Raiderfn311 »

I would suggest wearing a fullfaced helmet, but If you want to wear a chicken on your head its OK by me. It would be one of those, "I cant believe what I just saw" moments. 8)
The Edge....there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who truly know where it is have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Raiderfn311 wrote:I would suggest wearing a fullfaced helmet, but If you want to wear a chicken on your head its OK by me. It would be one of those, "I cant believe what I just saw" moments. 8)
OMG I have to agree, but the damn chicken keeps pecking my eyes :P
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
Raiderfn311

Post by Raiderfn311 »

All in the tying down of said chicken. You could take it a step further and wear one of those chicken suits Pryor and Wilder wore in Stir Crazy. I wonder what the abrasion strength of that suit would be....................just wondering aloud............
The Edge....there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who truly know where it is have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Cluck,cluck

So it doesn't seem like I am making light of the issue I wear a 3/4 helmet, knuckle busters (gloves), whatever jacket I happen to grab, jeans and foot gear.
I don't race and stay on lightly traveled roads. Riding for me is slow and fun, and I hope it stays that way.

Its good to read that slusher5 is doing some preliminary research for his intended foray into the world of scooter racing. With all the above suggestions and hints, I am sure you will be able to make the necessary decision's for your gear. Good luck with your endevours.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
slusher5

Post by slusher5 »

yeah i know what to do now,.. save up like $10k, buy racing suit, ff, boots, gloves, and new scooter
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

slusher5 wrote:yeah i know what to do now,.. save up like $10k, buy racing suit, ff, boots, gloves, and new scooter
YES.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

I did nice one where I landed on my shoulder and elbow then skidded at 30 mph. The Corazzo 5.0 has a few scuffs, but it's fine. The gloves and jeans were shot.

I'd look into hip and knee protection. Hip for the impact and knee for the skidding.