[NBR] Self-balancing enclosed motorcycle, cargo scooter

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

TVB

[NBR] Self-balancing enclosed motorcycle, cargo scooter

Post by TVB »

It's still in the prototype and development stage, and rather pricey ($16K) but this is a forthcoming enclosed electric motorcycle, with a projected range of 150 miles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0m-cUxMcJw

The use of a gyro to balance it sounds interesting, especially the safety implications of a motorcycle with a shell that doesn't easily fall over when it gets hit. But I think I'd still rather be able to put my feet down. :)

Also in the video (starting at 1:40) are cargo scooter and collapsible scooter designs.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I agree about the price. That puts it jn the range of some smaller cars.

The cargo scooter is pretty ingenious.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I'm a cheapskate by all accounts, but I'd seriously consider one of those if it did what it said (and had a support network).

My burning question is of course... does it have a kickstand for when the battery completely discharges (field failure)?

There are, of course, several other questions (does it have the impact cage to support the CG graphic of it being T-boned comes to mind) so I'll keep an eye out for more details.

Very neat concept, I truly hope it comes into production. Thanks for the heads up!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Very interesting! I wonder if it will ever come to production? And what will an asian knock off cost? Silly to think of... R
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Really fascinating tech. The C1 really challenges the definition of motorcycle for me, but it's pretty cool regardless of what it is. The balancing could be adapted to more traditional motorcycle designs from the looks of things. I'd love to see these being ridden!

Ha, Vespa GTV in the background of one of the shots.

C1 is kind of taken as a name for an enclosed 2-wheeler… :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Wow! We live in interesting times. Neat idea! :)
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Ethan Allison

Post by Ethan Allison »

It can't stay upright while it's parked (or more specifically, when the gyro is turned off). The one in the video looks like it's just mounted to the big black plate on the floor.

Anyway, $16k seems pretty expensive. I wonder how much is just the price of the battery pack and how much is for the body and stabilizer.
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

Not feeling it, to cage'y.
2 > 4
dshanson

Post by dshanson »

I love how the guy said no manufacturers have EVER done ANYTHING to make motorcycles safer. what about combined braking systems? what about actual gear, like helmets? alot of research and stuff has been done to improove helmets over the years. I saw the helmet of a guy that crashed going 70mph. it was scratched pretty bad but wasnt borken or cracked at all. and he lived. id say thats a pretty good advancement for motorcycle safety.

it looks pretty stupid imo. but i guess its a cool idea. i doubt alot of motorcyclists will buy into it. gonna be more of a preppy "omg thats so cute daddy buy me one" kind of thing.

im still not convinced that the design would be necessarily more safe...all it would do is prevent you from falling over in a side collision. what about a front end collision? would you go flying through the windshield? i assume they have seatbelts, but i didnt see any. and it still doesnt do much for the fact that you weight 1/10th of the weight of the cars around you. ill keep my scooter, thanks.

and whats the point of leaving your cagey car to step into another cage?
WOT = Way Off Topic
TVB

Post by TVB »

dshanson wrote:I love how the guy said no manufacturers have EVER done ANYTHING to make motorcycles safer. what about combined braking systems? what about actual gear, like helmets? alot of research and stuff has been done to improove helmets over the years. I saw the helmet of a guy that crashed going 70mph. it was scratched pretty bad but wasnt borken or cracked at all. and he lived. id say thats a pretty good advancement for motorcycle safety.
But better helmets aren't improvements in the design of the motorcycle. Granted, he overstates it a bit, but it is true that the safety features of a 2012 motorcycle aren't much different from those of a 1962 motorcycle, despite a lot of design and engineering changes in automobile safety in that time.
and whats the point of leaving your cagey car to step into another cage?
I'm guessing you haven't recently traveled at 40mph in 30F weather? :)
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

my friend is working on this :-)
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

The story hit GizMag today.

I say go for it. The idea will survive or die on its own. I would think gyros would suck a lot of power that would otherwise be providing motive force but whatever floats yer boat.

Personally, I would love to try one of those new Brammo or Zero electric motorcycles with the full 100-mile battery pack since that's twice my daily commute, which makes for a decent comfort margin. The rub is the tremendous price. I guess it must be for the battery tech since neither motorcycles nor electric motors are new inventions.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

1.)
It was called a quasar in 1982. It did allow you to stick your feet out. It didn't have a gyro and it was English if I remember
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jorvikiwi/ ... /lightbox/

2.) If its electric, and it needs range REAL RANGE. what is going to power the Gyro? DREAM ON

3.) Motorcycles have had MASSIVE improvements in safety. The instruments are now designed to allow you to go over them smoothly instead of catching body parts, AND they have stringent "breakaway" designs on most sportbikes where the instruments snap off rather than harm the rider.
The balls on the end of levers, they were NOT there in the 50, and 60's. They are there so you don't ram the lever through a body part.
Chainguards?
Kill switches?
vaccuum actuated petcocks( I hate 'em but fuel doesn't flow when bike is off)
radial tires
side stand cut-off switches
clutch safeties (have to pull in the lever to start)
chain adjusters that don't need to be readjusted every time you remove a wheel
rolled edges on fenders ( they use to be sharp)
ABS brakes
Disk brakes
Halogen lights
Steering dampers
Turn signals with running lights
The suspension has improved just a LITTLE

So the bike hasn't evolved safety wise in 50 years?

Shall I continue?
:wink:
Last edited by viney266 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
viney266

Post by viney266 »

OH, and there was a "motorcycle" with a gyro in about 1914! it seated 3. A "driver" and 2 passengers.
Last edited by viney266 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

You know, angular momentum to keep motorcycles upright is not a new idea, in fact last time I checked that's how bikes keep upright to begin with :P
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I remember the Quasar. It was also very pricey. Such recumbent motorcycles have never caught on. There must be a good reason.
Ethan Allison

Post by Ethan Allison »

Southerner wrote:I remember the Quasar. It was also very pricey. Such recumbent motorcycles have never caught on. There must be a good reason.
Southerner wrote:It was also very pricey.
Sounds like a good enough reason to me.
Scooterboi

Post by Scooterboi »

Lokky wrote:You know, angular momentum to keep motorcycles upright is not a new idea, in fact last time I checked that's how bikes keep upright to begin with :P
Actually they have discounted both angular momentum and "trail" as factors in keeping a bike from falling over at speed or, more precisely, "self correcting".

see: http://www.sciencefriday.com/videos/watch/10376

Now standing up on its own when its not moving is a whole different issue. :shock: That's just bizarre looking!
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

Southerner wrote:I remember the Quasar. It was also very pricey. Such recumbent motorcycles have never caught on. There must be a good reason.
"Recumbent" cycles are pretty common. Really just an alternative name for "feet forward" design. Most maxi-scooters, Goldwings, and just about every 'chopper' ever made is recumbent.