An old scoot's worth?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Drum Pro

An old scoot's worth?

Post by Drum Pro »

There is a '59 Vespa Allstate for sale around the corner from me and I was wondering what it's worth? It runs fine, but I'm not a wrench guy nor am I trying to sell it for the guy, I was just wondering what to look out for in case I buy it and get ripped for $2000. There's a metal plaque on it that says 788.94493. Thanks
neotrotsky

Re: An old scoot's worth?

Post by neotrotsky »

Drum Pro wrote:There is a '59 Vespa Allstate for sale around the corner from me and I was wondering what it's worth? It runs fine, but I'm not a wrench guy nor am I trying to sell it for the guy, I was just wondering what to look out for in case I buy it and get ripped for $2000. There's a metal plaque on it that says 788.94493. Thanks
For 2k it better be running and have a clear title with no major rust. And, running decent enough where a new top end and seal change can get it back to good.

Just because a Vespa is "old" doesn't instantly make it uber-valuable. The older Allstates are a bit more desirable for the fact that they were a bit more rare and North American only, but that's about it. But, so many people think old=expensive and don't really realize that the scooter, while cool, isn't an ultra rare collectable.

I say for that price if it doesn't have a clear title and a basic running engine, hard-line him down or walk away. If it's a clean runner then it could be a good find
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Good advice above.

First off, what do you want to use it for? Daily rider, Sunday cruiser, rally bike?

Keep in mind that Allstates were pretty much stripped down bottom of the line Vespas.

Three speed tranny, piston ported (maybe the only plus!) less than 5 bhp, no front dampener, 8-inch tires. In other words they are not speed demons or great handling or very comfortable to ride. Don't be surprised if you get passed by bicycles...seriously. Not pratical for a daily rider.

One good thing is that it is a large frame and not a widebody.

I will admit that I almost bought an Allstate handlebar, they do have a certain appeal

There are lots of Allstate fanatics. They know what they are getting into and accept them for what they are. I have a friend with a 63 Allstate and I can tell you it is a ton of fun to ride.

As far as rarity and collectability...well generally they are not very high on the list.

Here is a link to the specs http://www.scooterhelp.com/scooters/all ... 94493.html

And some additional info
http://www.scooterlounge.com/vespa/buye ... ears.shtml

According to model no it is a 1958 or 1959

engine: single cylinder, air cooled 2-stroke
induction: piston ported
bore: 54 mm
stroke: 54 mm
cubic capacity: 123.67 cc
compression ration: 6.3: 1
bhp at rpm: 4.5 @ 5000
lubrication:5%
transmission: 3 speed constant mesh
1st gear: 12.20: 1
2nd gear: 7.60: 1
3rd gear: 4.85: 1
cutch: wet - multiplate
carburetor: Dell'Orto UA/16S1
main jet: 72
slow running jet: 38
needle jet: 2.60
needle position: 2
throttle valve: No 50
ignition: contact breaker & coil
ignition timing: 28 deg. BTDC
breaker gap: 0.3 - 0.5 mm
voltage: 6 volt
wheels: 8"
tires: 3.50 x 8
max speed: 47 mph

similar to Vespa VNA1T but no front damper
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Oh yeah...as far as price goes...condition is everything!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL