[NSR] (bout college)too happy, just want to tell the world..

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

slusher5

[NSR] (bout college)too happy, just want to tell the world..

Post by slusher5 »

so i'm a graduating senior. getting Economics major.. classes filled quick and i got stuck with a Russian and Soviet Econ. Dev. and Trans. at 8:30 AM... You won't notice but I normally make my posts on this site in the wee hours of the night, and waking up that early is not for me..
well finally got to switch to International Trade course, 3 days into the semester. it's fits my schedule like a glove, and it goes well with my international area studies minor and my hopes of moving to japan to work.
couldn't be happier =).. thanks in advance for those who share my excitement =)
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Hey, anytime life goes right for people these days, I'm excited!

I have way too bright a social circle who seem to be stuck in screwy situations. Congratulations!
2wheelNsanity

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

I noticed you said that you wanted to work in Japan. My son also has this dream, he is in his first year and we are thinking he should get a International Studies major with Japanese (language) and Information Tech minors. In your opinion is this a good option for him?
slusher5

Post by slusher5 »

2wheelNsanity wrote:I noticed you said that you wanted to work in Japan. My son also has this dream, he is in his first year and we are thinking he should get a International Studies major with Japanese (language) and Information Tech minors. In your opinion is this a good option for him?
I'm not really sure what an International Studies Major is. My 'international area studies - Europe' minor is basically, 3 classes-- (politics, economics, history) ____ of globalization, which are in the business college. then you have 6 other hours of classes(mostly history or culture) related to the continent you choose.
his might be a good major if it involves business, a business major might be good( but it would be better to get a masters, supposed to competitive with just a bachelors) If he got proficient in Japanese it could really help him find a job over there.

This is very important though... have him go talk with as many professors, advisors, career services advisors, study abroad/international students advisors, anyone whose been/worked in japan. The more information the better.

Have him check out the JET program (japan exchange teaching... check the dates, apply early, and rub a lucky rabbit's foot)
I don't have much information on Japan, because if I don't get accepted for the JET program I am pretty much out of luck. Ideally, you would want to have some money saved up to be able to go to Japan for a few months and try and find a job. People say it's expensive, but I've read from a few sites that $1000/month will be enough if you live cheap.(away from big cities, cook meals/cheap restaurants, scarce cell phone use, public transportation)
because I don't have $$$ and my Vietnamese friends sparked my interest in VN, I've been learning about Vietnam. I might be able to stay with them/their family and get alot of support in finding work in VN. My heart is in Japan though.
Have him check out japan-guide.com he can make penpals/friends/language exchange partners... I've been using it for like 3 days and have met a few interesting japanese college students. You can search for all kinds of stuff, age/interests/nationality/language. If he could make some friends in Japan, they would be able to support him many different ways. information, place to stay, etc.. The people I've met who want to improve their English are already good enough to carry conversation with.. I asked one how she was so good/how many years she studied.. she thought she was bad at english and said they are all taught english in High School.
Any college student he contacts should know english enough and he won't need to understand Japanese. They will help you practice what little/however much Japanese he may know.

Congrats if you made it to the end, lol... I hate writing papers with a passion, but when it's something I know and enjoy I just keep rambling on. Hopefully He and I can graduate and find a meaningful job over there.

P.S. i could talk for days on this.. make him STUDY ABROAD! it's life changing and well worth whatever it costs.(try to find scholarships) I studied abroad in Scotland, extremely nice change in lifestyle compared to Houston. also internships are really good, tutor english while in the U.S., or if he could do a master's abroad.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Happy is good! Keep smilin :)
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Right on!!! Always awesome to hear of another graduate. Hopefully I'll have two more degrees finished by this time next year (they're "only" associates, but are augmentations in my field: Audio Production and Theater Production). Luckily I already have been reaping the rewards from my education: I just got hired back at my old theater with a raise because I'm going back to school!
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>