Buddy bragging

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bilyum

Buddy bragging

Post by bilyum »

I know a lot of us like the Buddy but there are other great scooters out there.We speak of the torque it has ,speed off the line etc.Actually most of that is created by small wheels not huge engines and cc's.The price on the Buddy is also higher than other good Taiwanese scooters.
I think there is a lot to know before purchasing a scooter and anyone reading these posts may be steered into thinking the Buddy is the only choice. Not so!
"what another person can do, I can do (maybe!)"
bilyum
Raiderfn311

Post by Raiderfn311 »

Very true! I know Kymco is another Taiwanese scoot, but honestly the Agility I rode didnt "feel" as solid as the Buddy. What other scoots are made in Taiwan? PLUS one of the reason I bought a Buddy is the great warranty and roadside assist. Does any other brand stand by there product like this? I like my scoot more every day it seems..........
The Edge....there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who truly know where it is have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The Agility isn't made in Taiwan, it's made on mainland China by a Taiwanese company. That's why it, and some of the SYM scooters, are so much cheaper than the Buddy.

There are many great scooters out there! Unfortunately, not so many great scooter companies, but that's a whole 'nother topic.

There are many threads on MB recommending other scooters and most of us have an appreciation for many different ones. Even in the 125-150+ class, the Buddy may not be the best scooter for everyone depending on their needs.

But, as this forum shows, it's been the best for a whole heck of a lot of them.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I only have experience with a few, but the 50cc Zuma I have is made to last. It doesn't have the solid feeling frame of the Buddy line, but I can drive it all day long and it doesn't complain. I can leave it out without a tender in sub 0 weather and kickstart it in a single try. It's sporty and good.

Also had the chance to spend a few hours on a friend's 300cc Vespa. It was also awesome.

I didn't care for the drive of a Honda ruckus, but they're unique and have a lot going for them, especially mods!

Probably a case of the 'right tool for the job'. All of them are different, and have different qualities for different situations/riders.
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

I guess there are other fine options but I don't much lust after them. Of my top 5 wants(I want a fleet of scoots) 3 are genuine 2 are buddy's(170i, Psycho, Large displacement Vespa, Rattler and vintage Vespa). I'm sure the kymcos, syms ect.. are swell but I have zero desire to own one while each night I dream of a new Psycho or 170i. Some of the Japenese bikes like The zuma and ruchus(neither are cheaper at all) do crack my top ten wants but I'd rather have a Rattler first.
2 > 4
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

A Yamaha Vino (125) is a good Scooter. There seem to be a bunch of them used, you can get them worked on, and no, they are not a Buddy. But there alright, more than alright, and worth a moments time and consideration, if there was one around. R
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

still shifting wrote:A Yamaha Vino (125) is a good Scooter. There seem to be a bunch of them used, you can get them worked on, and no, they are not a Buddy. But there alright, more than alright, and worth a moments time and consideration, if there was one around. R
The Vino has the quality, but IMHO, not the performance. They're pokey.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Yes Pokey is about right I agree, The scooter is stable and reasonably tight. I wonder if there is a way to wake one of these units up? R
jmazza

Re: Buddy bragging

Post by jmazza »

bilyum wrote: I think there is a lot to know before purchasing a scooter and anyone reading these posts may be steered into thinking the Buddy is the only choice. Not so!
Well... this site IS called Modern Buddy!

:lol:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

still shifting wrote:Yes Pokey is about right I agree, The scooter is stable and reasonably tight. I wonder if there is a way to wake one of these units up? R
Sure! Cylinder klts, transmission upgrades, the usual. :)
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

If we're going to brag about the Buddy, let's not forget these things too:
* Standard 12-volt outlet.
* Standard super loud horn
* Standard audible turn signals
* Standard kick start (on most models)
* Standard large pet carrier area
* Standard generous sized area in front of your knees to store drink, keys, wallet, etc while you ride.
* Lot's of accessories you can buy
* Great user forum
* Several colors/cc sizes/models to choose from
* How they keep going, and going, like the Energizer Bunny
* How dependable they are
* Two helmet pegs under the seat
* Hook for carrying a bag, etc in front of your knees

I don't need to mention the warranty, the roadside assistance, the spunkiness of the engine, or nice tight suspension/ride (as those have already been mentioned). :wink:
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
easy

Post by easy »

I dont get this tread at all. this forum is very fair to scoots and people here are very quick to say dont get a buddy your in need of a bigger scooter
what did you trade the day for?
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Buncha buddy fan boy/girls around here! haruuumph! :twisted: :lol: :twisted:
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
Raiderfn311

Post by Raiderfn311 »

The audible turn signals are great! I had a habit of leaving them on with my former scoot.
The Edge....there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who truly know where it is have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson
Tam Tam

Post by Tam Tam »

easy wrote:I dont get this tread at all. this forum is very fair to scoots and people here are very quick to say dont get a buddy your in need of a bigger scooter
I have to agree. I enjoy the fact that all types of scoots/motorcycles are discussed here, and it's not a "if you don't ride a Buddy then f*ck you!".

Best bet, in my opinion, is to test ride. Before I got the blackjack (The 21 Club exists! ...even though I haven't made patches or stickers yet..and i still give mad props to the MB/21 club member who made the sharp red n black 21 sticker) I test rode a bunch of scoots and it was a fellow rider at work who told me, "You'll know what's right for you when you ride it."
"When you're racing, that's when you're really alive. Everything else...everything...just becomes waiting to race." - Steve McQueen
beastmaster

Post by beastmaster »

no love for the people?? lol i tried to buy a buddy on credit, but got turned down , so i ended up buying this people 125 s , i love it, its great , iv got the speedo up to 70 with the wind , ill take it every now and then on the bi pass for a few seconds, it does great in the city , the larger wheel base i feel gives me a advantage on bumbs and dips , the only small issue iv had is im 5'9 and when im at a stop light my toes touch on both side so i have to lean to put a foot down, never given me any trouble though, after have this people im not sure i could go to ten inch wheels , but the blur has really caught my interest, just my 2 cents
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;