Tires-When to replace?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Raiderfn311

Tires-When to replace?

Post by Raiderfn311 »

I may come off as an idiot with this question, but here goes. When can you tell you need a new tire? Obviously if its bald you need a new one, but are there other indicators? Im sure there are, Im just not "in the know" about them. I ask because my rear is probably getting close, and Ive been a bit nervous in wet weather lately.
The Edge....there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who truly know where it is have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

In the tread of each tire is a wear marker. Look in the grooves. You'll see some raised bits of rubber. They come up about 1/8" from the bottom of the groove. When the tread has worn down to those indicators it is time to replace.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Raiderfn311

Post by Raiderfn311 »

Thanks Skootz!

Edit-My rear it "right at" that point. Time for Heidenau's.
The Edge....there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who truly know where it is have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I believe the wear bars can be easily found by looking for the pointers at the edge of the sidewall. At least, that's the way they are on my Dunlops.
Raiderfn311

Post by Raiderfn311 »

Southerner wrote:I believe the wear bars can be easily found by looking for the pointers at the edge of the sidewall. At least, that's the way they are on my Dunlops.
Yeah Im RIGHT at the mark.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

The length of time I will stretch before replacing depends on the time of year. If it's Summer and not too rainy, I'll go a little longer before replacing but if it's more in the Winter time of year, I replace sooner. Just because there's extra crap on the roads during our Winter months.

Be safe and replace as soon as feasible for you.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.