I did it: Brought a Rattler to the desert

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

I'm still kind of off on the way the new scoot came to my possession: I REALLY didn't want to give up the Vespa, but we cannot afford a vintage bike at all right now. Not with the needs it has and with the emissions laws in AZ being what they are. So, after a ton of fighting, arguments and Cragslist hideousness, I found the deal and made it happen.

My new urban assault bike. Hopefully by next year we'll be better off enough to afford a vintage scoot to go with it. But, it has an aftermarket variator for a bit more punch on the low end, and a drilled airbox. That's it for mods, and it shows! MAN this thing snaps! Kind of a jackrabbit takeoff but solid. At least it vibrates in the hands like a good 2-stroke should. That makes me happy

Will get it registered tomorrow when I get paid. It will make the commute for both me and my wife ALOT easier, although the mornings will still be nippy. Guess instead of a new 3/4 I'm going to have to find a nice street motocross style helmet with a shield to match the bike :P
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Congratulations. Glad to hear you hooked up with a scoot that will meet your present needs.
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Nice lookin scoot there Neo, I am a bit partial but non-the less nice scoot. Enjoy the two stroke joy.... :lol:
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Well, it's not vintage but it's still pretty close to unique. About the only thing in the same category and displacement is the Zuma 125. I do like the wide handlebars and the ground clearance. You can ride and enjoy it and not worry overmuch about its collector value.

I think you're in for a lot of fun.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

You made the right choice. Break it in smooth.

Wait...was this a new scoot? I think you said it was a dealer trade, but is it new or already broken-in? The drilled airbox has me confused.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

Just makes me want one more. They have a new one on the dealer floor here in Vegas but I am leaving soon to be in rainy weather.

How do you like it?
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Pretty bike! They must have emissions in Phoenix that we don't have down here in Tucson. My bikes don't have to go through it.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

They do have different emissions requirements in Maricopa County: They do the exhaust probe, fuel tank pressure test... everything. I just gave up trying to fight it on the P200e. The Rattler already uses less oil per gallon than the Vespa, and it has 2000 miles on the clock. So, it should be just fine. Looks to burn very clean too. I'm honestly not worried about this bike.

He threw in a brand new Vee rear tire with stickers and packing still on it for free, so that was rather nice. Haven't ridden it but to go back and forth in the complex, but hopefully on Friday I can get plates on it and get a few miles under it's belt

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
theflash784

Post by theflash784 »

That's a nice looking scooter! I hope it will make your life easier and you will come to love it as you ride it. Best of luck with your move.
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

Everytime I see a rattler my next move is craigslist hoping for a cheap used local one. I just love the looks of it. Have a blast!
2 > 4
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

congrats on the new ride. not sure what plug you have in there but some have swapped for the next colder one. this summer when its hot as heck, you will be less likely to have it blow. i have been ok but if you ride WOT for extended time, some have had problems. ride safe and enjoy.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

bigbropgo wrote:congrats on the new ride. not sure what plug you have in there but some have swapped for the next colder one. this summer when its hot as heck, you will be less likely to have it blow. i have been ok but if you ride WOT for extended time, some have had problems. ride safe and enjoy.
Right on. Thanks for the tip! If any bike runs hot anywhere, it's in Arizona. Will keep that in mind once temps start edging near 90 (around next month :P)

LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Shiny!!

I like it :) I didn't speak up in your other thread, but for what it's worth, the few people in my club that have Rattlers love the tar out of them. You may end up liking it a lot more than you expected!

Cheers to your new ride, and hope when its time to start looking again you find an awesome vintage that's more cooperative with emissions :wink:
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

I do want to get to riding, but have to wait till Friday to register it. Don't get paid until then and the Grant check won't be in until the 6th :( But, if I do start to look again, it will probably be a Stella. I can then tear into it without worrying about destroying the "vintage-ness" and have fun with it. And, it will be a bit easier to keep under emissions cap. Either that or I may actually set aside a bin for a "new bike" fund like I did with my old scoot and save up for something new like a Triumph or a 4T Stella

Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

Holy crap you did it! Last I read you sounded like you would never part with that old Vespa. I know it's not what you wanted, but you gotta be breathing a little easier now. Finally legal... Congrats. Wanna race? :twisted:
pattio

Post by pattio »

Congratulations. I'm sorry you had to let your vintage bike go, but I try to take a long-view on the old bikes, and I'm sure you will get back on one again. I consider the buck-ten a unique ride among modern scooters. Hope you have a lot of good miles with it.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Congrats! Don't forget to give us that first real ride report after you catch your breath!

Don't worry....Vespa only made about 8 billion P series...there will be one around when you are ready!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Nice!

I don't wanna hear about nippy mornings, I've been riding in below-freezing mornings since I started! But, it makes those rare afternoons at 55 degrees paradise!

The rattler is a good scoot. A friends have some and they have 0 complaints. Tough machines!

There were some sailes on scorpion helmets in a few places, surely they have a shade that matches?
Syd

Post by Syd »

skully93 wrote:Nice!

I don't wanna hear about nippy mornings, I've been riding in below-freezing mornings since I started! But, it makes those rare afternoons at 55 degrees paradise!

The rattler is a good scoot. A friends have some and they have 0 complaints. Tough machines!

There were some sailes on scorpion helmets in a few places, surely they have a shade that matches?
55? Brrrr! Those of us acclimated to the desert don't get comfy 'till it's in the 70's. (Of course, those of us acclimated to the desert don't complain when it gets to 100, either.)
The majority is always sane - Nessus
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

Glad you found something else super cool to replace the super cool P200e. 8)
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Well, here's some initial video of the scoot in question:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yLhHrOJN5IQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just took it around the parking lot, so excuse the lack of gear :\ I should have it registered tomorrow just in time for an extra 24 hours worth of shifts this weekend :roll:

Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

My only complaint with the Rattler is the digital display. It's too bright at night. You'll get a little blue glare off your face shield in the dark. I thought about a little window tint to tone it down, but I'm too lazy. I took off the fender extension on mine. I don't ride in rain, so it had to go. You'll also learn to live with the gas cap. :lol:
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Congrats on the "new" ride.

1 size upjet on the idle jet ( at least here in the cold), and a 1 step colder plug. They run great. My favorite hooligan genuine.

The only complaints I have, the oil resevoir is terrible to fill, and the key needs to be cut down for the gas cap. Otherwise, a GREAT hooligan scoot. I have always wanted one, but never picked one up for myself, just borrow one now and again...BEST scoot for field events at rallies.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Yeah, I noticed that the oil resovoir was covered by a panel that requires a SCREWDRIVER to take off!! What the hell, man?

brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

neotrotsky wrote:Yeah, I noticed that the oil resovoir was covered by a panel that requires a SCREWDRIVER to take off!! What the hell, man?
That is because someone swapped out the knobbed screw that was originally in there. Maybe a tamper proof trick?
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

congrats Neo, that's a sweet looking ride! Heard about one of them buck ten rattlers took a guy from DC all the way to the top of Alaska and back. Cheers to many miles!
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

brianwheelies wrote:
neotrotsky wrote:Yeah, I noticed that the oil resovoir was covered by a panel that requires a SCREWDRIVER to take off!! What the hell, man?
That is because someone swapped out the knobbed screw that was originally in there. Maybe a tamper proof trick?
+1 has to be. you don't go through that much oil, but you also kinda forget how many tanks of fuel you have gone through. need to have access fo sho.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
monkeykat

Post by monkeykat »

Neat bike! The more I see it, the more I like it--I imagine it transforming into a robotic praying mantis or something when not being driven.
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

bigbropgo wrote:
brianwheelies wrote:
+1 has to be. you don't go through that much oil, but you also kinda forget how many tanks of fuel you have gone through. need to have access fo sho.
Yeah, should be a thumb screw. You can see the oil level without taking of the access panel. I got 800 miles out of a quart of oil.
Attachments
2t.jpg
2t.jpg (34.74 KiB) Viewed 854 times