Product Review: Heated Glove Liners

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ed85379

Product Review: Heated Glove Liners

Post by ed85379 »

So I finally got a chance to test out these heated glove liners that I ordered back in December. Well, four weeks ago would've been a test, but then my accident happened. :)

http://www.ventureheat.com/p-395-aa-bat ... liner.aspx

These are powered by AA batteries, 3 per glove. I liked that for the convenience and the price. Though the liners have increased $20 in price since I bought them 2 months ago.

Also, both battery packs that I got with them, cheap plastic little things, were defective. I called them to get replacements, and they said they would send me replacements after Jan 1st, but I never got them. In the meantime, I managed to fix the battery packs, sort of, and got them working a bit. I did just call them again just now, and they promised they would be sending me two new battery packs right away.

Anyway, this morning was actually a perfect test, because one of them wasn't working. As usual in 37 degree weather, even in my thick riding gloves, my left-hand was freezing, but my right-hand, the one with the working heated glove liner was perfectly comfortable. Not too hot, and not cold at all.

Other than the problem with the battery packs (and I think I know how to fix them without soldering now... plastic was in the way of one of the batteries getting a good connection, so I think I can fix 'em without making the soldering fragile now), I have to say these things work perfectly.

When I got them, they were $40. Now they're $60. Still cheap compared to heated gloves or heated liners with fancy rechargeable batteries. Also, there is a benefit of being a liner, since there is no need to sacrifice on nice riding gloves; you can add heat to any glove (though having main glove a size a bit too large will help fit these inside).
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Thanks for the review, ed! I was curious about this new company.

Do you have any issues pulling your regular gloves on over these?

And I think there may be something wrong with me because I didn't even use my heated gloves this morning. 37F is the new 70F :)
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

siobhan wrote:Thanks for the review, ed! I was curious about this new company.

Do you have any issues pulling your regular gloves on over these?
Well, my other gloves are a size large on me (M), so I am able to fit them pretty well. I only got the M size because they didn't have smalls when I was buying them, but it worked out, considering the liners. Also, it helps to have a wide, loose, or adjustable cuff, because the battery pack is pretty bulky on the top of your wrist.

I've also noted that I do lose some flexibility in my fingers, even more than with the regular winter riding gloves alone. After my accident last week, I know I need to keep much more room in front of me, giving me extra time to brake, when I have lost finger mobility like this.
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

Oh, and my trip home repeated my experience. My left, non-heated hand was freezing. My right hand was perfectly comfortable. Perhaps just a tiny bit chilled, but positively toasty compared to the ice cube on the left.
lilguy

Post by lilguy »

Good to know about the liners, definitely a much cheaper alternative than the heated gloves. Although I already have heated gloves now.

I also rode with no heat in my gloves today, because I often forget to charge the battery, but it wasn't too bad. I remember last year being so much worse, maybe I'm getting used to it.
superseagulls

Post by superseagulls »

How long do the batteries last?

It strikes me that the quality control is lax, sending out bad battery boxes, are you saying overall though these are good, even though working intermittently on the left....?

They sound like a cost effective solution if they are reliable.....
People say that I'm crazy
But I'm not that way inclined
I know what I know and I'll happily show
That madness is all in the mind
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Yeah, I'd be curious to see how long a set of typical 2500-2700mAh NiMH rechargeables last - whether you'd have to charge them at work before heading home :)
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

PeteH wrote:Yeah, I'd be curious to see how long a set of typical 2500-2700mAh NiMH rechargeables last - whether you'd have to charge them at work before heading home :)
I did not have to charge them at work, but I haven't tested to see how long they last. My ride is ~30 minutes each way, and I dropped them back into the charger when I got home. So they last at least an hour.

Yes, other than the issue with the battery packs, which are clearly 3rd party components, when the gloves work, they work beautifully.
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

Just to update, I got my replacement battery packs in the mail just now. These two do not have the problems of the originals. They are both solid and work well.