2012 Puma Cycles Valentine 150

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JohnnyScoots

2012 Puma Cycles Valentine 150

Post by JohnnyScoots »

I was doing some searching tonight, and stumbled upon the Puma Cycles 2012 Scooter line-up to be released this spring, and found this. Interesting to say the least.

JohnnyScoots | 2012 Puma Valentine

What are your thoughts? I'm curious as to how it will sell.
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

purty
2 > 4
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Thoughts? Another plastic China-scoot with a no-name distributor. Pass.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

I know that the Puma scoots that my local shop brings in are actually packed pretty well, and that their walk-up quality (paint, alignment and materials) are actually pretty good (i.e. much better than Stella, for example). I'll have to ask how many of them have been sold and have been back to the shop with problems the next time I visit the dealership. Looks aren't everything, but can be an indicator that they at least care what goes in the box...

That said, I'm not feeling this one at all, but I'll wait to pass judgement when/if I see it and when I talk to the Puma guys this week at Dealer Expo.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
JohnnyScoots

Post by JohnnyScoots »

Rippinyarn wrote:That said, I'm not feeling this one at all, but I'll wait to pass judgement when/if I see it and when I talk to the Puma guys this week at Dealer Expo.
If you get some good info, let us know some more about it!
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

I like the music: you gotta be cool....hahaha
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

I think it's kind of silly looking. Vintage scoots and the Stella are just plain more appealing than this bad bear.
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Very little on this online. As in, almost nothing other than the photos you have!

There doesn't appear to be a Puma Scooters US website (never a good sign). Their dealer network seems to be the lower end of the market.

None of this says anything about the Valentine or its quality, but as far as I'm concerned, they're red flags when it comes to the company and the level of support they might offer.

How will it sell? Not any better than the La Vita, in my opinion.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Wow Eric your google-fu is weak :lol:

http://scootersplusct.com/puma_scooters

http://www.pumacycles.com/Gas-Scooters/

There isn't a large assortment like you would find with the plastic trash scoots so they seem to be an up-n-coming dealer. Of course that's just an opinion, and the quality of the product is still in question.
As for the looks, eh, I'll stick with my RH50.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
Raiderfn311

Post by Raiderfn311 »

ericalm wrote:Very little on this online. As in, almost nothing other than the photos you have!

There doesn't appear to be a Puma Scooters US website (never a good sign). Their dealer network seems to be the lower end of the market.

None of this says anything about the Valentine or its quality, but as far as I'm concerned, they're red flags when it comes to the company and the level of support they might offer.

How will it sell? Not any better than the La Vita, in my opinion.
The website is for Znen scooters. There is a large dealership that stocks these Puma scooters in Charlotte.(Carolina Fun Machines) The dealer is supposed to be a good one.(They also stock Sym scoots! Yeah!)
The Edge....there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who truly know where it is have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson
JohnnyScoots

Post by JohnnyScoots »

Raiderfn311 wrote:There is a large dealership that stocks these Puma scooters in Charlotte.(Carolina Fun Machines) The dealer is supposed to be a good one.(They also stock Sym scoots! Yeah!)
From what I've seen, they are seemingly the only dealer that is getting ready to carry the Valentine. They seem like decent people, though.

I'm interested to see what it does with a little bit more publicity. It is definitely lacking popularity at the moment.
aaronnobody

Post by aaronnobody »

like all chinese gy6 based scooters, engine parts are plentiful for the most part. try getting body panels that will match or are even available in 5 years or so.
"What you have is one or more diodes that are about to fail."
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

That thing has as much vintage appeal as a suppository :(
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Neither of which shows the Valentine! Odd, huh?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Raiderfn311

Post by Raiderfn311 »

Eric, if you havent yet, check out "Carolina fun Machines" website.(in N.C.) They have links to the manufacturers where the Valentino can be found.
The Edge....there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who truly know where it is have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Raiderfn311 wrote:Eric, if you havent yet, check out "Carolina fun Machines" website.(in N.C.) They have links to the manufacturers where the Valentino can be found.
I saw that, too.

It all seems a bit haphazard.

Granted, the web sites and presences of scooter dealers and many manufacturers are pretty lacking.
Raiderfn311

Post by Raiderfn311 »

Yes the sight needs tweeking. :?
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

agrogod wrote:Wow Eric your google-fu is weak :lol:
My googler is always finding odd things... but some are worth sharing. :lol:

agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Lotrat wrote:
agrogod wrote:Wow Eric your google-fu is weak :lol:
My googler is always finding odd things... but some are worth sharing. :lol:

:wtf:

I like it but I do think an 800lb gorilla is way too big for that tiny scooter.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

Just because my favorite color is purple, and my favorite animal is the giraffe.

There's a series of these ads from Yamaha. They're great.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I don't care so much for the animals, but I want that scoot!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

AWinn6889 wrote:There's a series of these ads from Yamaha. They're great.
It's student work. The scooters in the images aren't Yamahas; they're based on Vespa GTSs.
Syd

Post by Syd »

ericalm wrote:
It's student work. The scooters in the images aren't Yamahas; they're based on Vespa GTSs.
Whaddya mean? Wheels so big the front won't turn left or right and the headlight pointing to the side? That's not student work, that's a Picasso!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Znen is huge, and they make a lot of bikes for a lot of different companies. Flyscooters were mostly Znens, for instance. They're one of those manufacturers that COULD be OK if the importer/buyer can get decent quality control on the ground and spends the extra money for the best components, but I wouldn't hold out any hope at all that these will be anything to get excited about.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

ericalm wrote:
I meant "they're great" as in, they're funny, and successfully get the point across to the viewer.
It's obvious that it's a bad photoshop job of a modern Vespa by a student (or just someone not very well versed in design), and I know full well that Yamaha doesn't actually produce those scooters, because if they had, I would have checked them out before I looked at the Buddy. However the AD itself is produced by Yamaha, that's why I said "there's a series of these ads FROM Yamaha."
I have a degree in graphic design and another one in marketing, so I know crappy design work when I see it, and I know what makes good marketing work, realistic "designs" rarely end up in the finished project especially when it comes to "sports" vehicles. Also, I know enough about motorcycles and scooters to know that that scooter mash-up pictured would barely be able to move in real life. Duh.

Just because I'm young, and I'm fairly new here, doesn't mean I don't know wtf I'm talking about.
SoCalScooter

Post by SoCalScooter »

AWinn6889 wrote:
Just because I'm young, and I'm fairly new here, doesn't mean I don't know wtf I'm talking about.
I think you read too much into that comment. I am certain no slight towards you was intended. On the other hand, I'm not so young, and not quite so new here (yup, 2 more days than you!), but I still don't know wtf I'm talking about :D
Last edited by SoCalScooter on Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

sooo wait... That's not a real gorilla? Isn't that consumer fraud? I thought that if the scoot could support an 800 pound gorilla, surely it would support my weight. An adult giraffe weights 2000 pounds, so yeah. Nice scam. I'm sticking with my Genuine scooter. No scam needed to get my money.
Raiderfn311

Post by Raiderfn311 »

AWinn6889 wrote:
ericalm wrote:
I meant "they're great" as in, they're funny, and successfully get the point across to the viewer.
It's obvious that it's a bad photoshop job of a modern Vespa by a student (or just someone not very well versed in design), and I know full well that Yamaha doesn't actually produce those scooters, because if they had, I would have checked them out before I looked at the Buddy. However the AD itself is produced by Yamaha, that's why I said "there's a series of these ads FROM Yamaha."
I have a degree in graphic design and another one in marketing, so I know crappy design work when I see it, and I know what makes good marketing work, realistic "designs" rarely end up in the finished project especially when it comes to "sports" vehicles. Also, I know enough about motorcycles and scooters to know that that scooter mash-up pictured would barely be able to move in real life. Duh.

Im thinking you dont know WTF youre talking about. :wink: Seriously, maybe a nice stiff drink is in order? When you let things get to you, THEY have won. Thats all Im saying.
uffdlguy

Post by uffdlguy »

illnoise wrote:Znen is huge, and they make a lot of bikes for a lot of different companies. Flyscooters were mostly Znens, for instance. They're one of those manufacturers that COULD be OK if the importer/buyer can get decent quality control on the ground and spends the extra money for the best components, but I wouldn't hold out any hope at all that these will be anything to get excited about.
I actually spoke with Jason at Bintelli yesterday. They're another distributor for Znen. Had a good conversation with him and he made mention that they were including every upgrade available on their scooters. Could be an interesting company to watch as they seem to understand what buyers want. I personally own a Taotao and a Jonway and have been watching Znen scooters for a while. Never really have felt the need to jump on one yet but the Havoc that they have available is pretty cool looking.
un_designer

Re: 2012 Puma Cycles Valentine 150

Post by un_designer »

JohnnyScoots wrote:I was doing some searching tonight, and stumbled upon the Puma Cycles 2012 Scooter line-up to be released this spring, and found this. Interesting to say the least.

JohnnyScoots | 2012 Puma Valentine

What are your thoughts? I'm curious as to how it will sell.
anyone else not seeing the photos at all? i'm just getting a bunch of broken images.

also, please consider setting the music player to autoplay:off :D
» Current: 2006 Saabaru 9-2x Aero, 2006 Scion xB, Original '07 Series Italia, 2003 Marin Highway One
» Departed: 2004 Subaru WRX, 1999 1/2 VW GTI
Tocsik

Re: 2012 Puma Cycles Valentine 150

Post by Tocsik »

un_designer wrote:
anyone else not seeing the photos at all? i'm just getting a bunch of broken images.

also, please consider setting the music player to autoplay:off :D
Same here in both Chrome and IE.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Keys

Post by Keys »

I'm thinkin' that the taillight has 13 kinds of ugly it ain't even used yet.
"Life without music would Bb"
303 whodat

Post by 303 whodat »

In case you don't speak Spanish, here's a rough translation of the ad...

"Some people make the road a jungle

That's why it's better to buy a YAMAHA scooter and receive a free driving course(or lesson?)"

That's sounds like a great idea!
hardd1
Dealer

Post by hardd1 »

uffdlguy wrote:
illnoise wrote:Znen is huge, and they make a lot of bikes for a lot of different companies. Flyscooters were mostly Znens, for instance. They're one of those manufacturers that COULD be OK if the importer/buyer can get decent quality control on the ground and spends the extra money for the best components, but I wouldn't hold out any hope at all that these will be anything to get excited about.
I actually spoke with Jason at Bintelli yesterday. They're another distributor for Znen. Had a good conversation with him and he made mention that they were including every upgrade available on their scooters. Could be an interesting company to watch as they seem to understand what buyers want. I personally own a Taotao and a Jonway and have been watching Znen scooters for a while. Never really have felt the need to jump on one yet but the Havoc that they have available is pretty cool looking.
we just acquired a dealer agreement with Bintelli....a budget line of scooters is necessary to compliment our other products. due to the dismal economy not everyone can invest $2,500+ for a scooter at this time.
Last edited by hardd1 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing"
ThreeSheets
Dealer

Post by ThreeSheets »

Just the words Chinese Scooters and ZNEN give me a headache enough said!
<b>FLAT SQUIRREL SCOOTERS</b>
421 N. Randall Rd, Lake in the Hills, IL
www.flatsquirrelscooters.com
hardd1
Dealer

Post by hardd1 »

hehe..i hear ya. tryn to keep customers away from tao tao's and the peace sports crapola
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

Unknown if Bintelli will succeed, could be just another Flyscooters, but at least they have some "roots". Forum postings . . Justin . . Jason.

Valley Scooters is also among the "long term" China scooter sellers . . forum postings.
Bintelli - Justin

Post by Bintelli - Justin »

Hey everyone,

Just saw some clicks coming to our site from this thread so I figured I'd come over and say hello. If anyone ever has any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Just a little history from my side: I was the first person in the country to import a gas powered scooter from China (back in the year 2000). Back then, we started with the stand up variety and slowly moved to the street legal models. Over the last few years, we had backed off from the scooter importing and tried to just deal with other brands already out there... but we quickly saw that there was a need for not only a quality product, but also a quality distributor for the $999-$1500 price range. We equip our models with tons of upgrades such as Motobatt batteries, NGK spark plugs, Gates belts, Deni carburetors, Duro tires, stainless steel hardware, halogen lights, full assembly in cardboard packaging (no steel), a two year limited warranty, and more.

We've had a great response from our dealer network and their end users. It's going to be a fun ride and we look forward to talking to you all more in the future!
Justin Jackrel
Bintelli, President
www.Bintelli.com
gitsum79

Post by gitsum79 »

If I was looking for a budget scooter, these are what I would consider.

Kymco Agility 125 - $1800
Lance Cali Classic 125 (SYM) - $1995
Lance Havana 125 (SYM) - $1995

No doubts about quality and durability, and only a few hundred more than a so called
"premium" Znen model. Even at twice the price, you will get more for your dollar because they will last longer, need fewer repairs, and have more resale value.

You will be able to ride them harder and farther than a Znen or any other Chinese scooter. You will have much less down time for repairs. You will have peace of mind when it comes to worrying about getting stranded.

This being said, if you know how to work on a scooter and have the patience to do so more often than you might expect, you can save some money up front buying a Chinese scooter. But in the long run I don't think you will save much money, and it will cost you a lot more time :wink:
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

hardd1 wrote:hehe..i hear ya. tryn to keep customers away from tao tao's and the peace sports crapola
hardd1, it doesn't inspire confidence when you changed your sig from 'friends don't let friends ride Chinese junk', or something to that effect. :twisted:
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
hardd1
Dealer

Post by hardd1 »

PeteH wrote:
hardd1 wrote:hehe..i hear ya. tryn to keep customers away from tao tao's and the peace sports crapola
hardd1, it doesn't inspire confidence when you changed your sig from 'friends don't let friends ride Chinese junk', or something to that effect. :twisted:
an ethnic slur is not a kind expression...
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Sorry if I misquoted: I was working from memory. And unfortunately you inferred it as an ethnic slur. Perhaps you'll clarify the vendor-of-origin of the junk to which you were referring.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
hardd1
Dealer

Post by hardd1 »

gitsum79 wrote:If I was looking for a budget scooter, these are what I would consider.

Kymco Agility 125 - $1800
Lance Cali Classic 125 (SYM) - $1995
Lance Havana 125 (SYM) - $1995

No doubts about quality and durability, and only a few hundred more than a so called
"premium" Znen model. Even at twice the price, you will get more for your dollar because they will last longer, need fewer repairs, and have more resale value.

You will be able to ride them harder and farther than a Znen or any other Chinese scooter. You will have much less down time for repairs. You will have peace of mind when it comes to worrying about getting stranded.

This being said, if you know how to work on a scooter and have the patience to do so more often than you might expect, you can save some money up front buying a Chinese scooter. But in the long run I don't think you will save much money, and it will cost you a lot more time :wink:
yep, we do sell Lance Cali Classics and Havana 125cc....we also need an affordable 50cc for folks on a budget...tough economic conditions here
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

Looks like the front turn signals may actually be spaced far enough apart that supplemental handlebar drop-down (knee jabber) turn signals are not required to meet DOT requirements. The floorboard "hump" would hinder transporting gallon jugs.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bRgi9EA3uZc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
hardd1
Dealer

Post by hardd1 »

video indicates a very happy owner...should be able to utilize one of the racks for that jug-o-milk or a dozen brews 8)
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

Also offered as the BMS Chelsea 150cc.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Arrogant muffler shield eh?

CHINGLISH strikes its ugly head.

UK, UK,

Rob
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

saw an ad from a dealer asking $2500 :nerd:
Riding is riding
hardd1
Dealer

Post by hardd1 »

Wow!.. $2500.00....Most Valentines are advertised for $1599.00......

http://sanjose.bigcity.com/BoatsForSale ... 0/10963685
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Went for a ride today......aimed North and ended up a bit past Racine Wisconson on Wisconson 31......to the Chicago crowd that would be Sheridan Rd.
Anyhow, on my return back through Racine there was a Genuine dealer with his wares parked out front of the dealership.
I stopped by to nose around a bit and found he was also selling the Puma Valentine.
He had two out front, a white and a red.

Although not my cup of tea (I am a shifty sort) they were good looking and after fiddling with the switchgear and a rather through look over, the initial impression is good.
The tailamp styling is a bit.....uh...much and the Made in China sticker over the top of the lamp has to go but for the most part this machine 'looks' like someone who gives a hoot was involved in the component sourcing.

That being said, even if it has resolved all the negatives the Chinese have bestowed upon the machines that preceeded it, it will have a loooong uphill battle.

Plastic looks good.....molds were well finished and, speaking of finish, that was up to the standards we expect as well.

So, the last hurdles will be longetivity, mechanical and material, and parts/dealer support.
The part situation has always been a disaster for the Chinese......they are the ultimate 'Throw it Out and Start over' society IMO.

My observations and thoughts,

Rob