(NBR) now Gary Carter?!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BootScootin'FireFighter

(NBR) now Gary Carter?!

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Why are all my childhood heroes dying? First Michael, then Whitney, and now Gary.

He was probably my favorite sports icon growing up with the "amazing Mets" of the mid 1980s, and many trips to Shea Stadium. He was too young, and brain cancer sucks. All cancer does.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/me ... 71738.html
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

He was a great ambassador of the game and truly loved on both sides of the border.
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
theflash784

Now Gary Carter?

Post by theflash784 »

I am sorry for your losses. It's hard to see your heroes go. I'm a Detroit Tiger fan myself and I know it was hard to lose Ernie Harwell and then Sparky Anderson.
Raiderfn311

Post by Raiderfn311 »

On those teams Carter was one of the classiest. DAMN they had talent. Dykstra, Strawberry, Gooden, Fernandez, HoJo, Mookie, Aguilara, Foster, and the list goes on. I remember well watching them in the 1986 series. I am a Dodgers fan but I can respect those Mets teams. R.I.P. Gary Carter 1954-2012.

Edit-Sorry I forgot to mention Keith Hernandez on that team. Again, one of the best team assembled ever. Im not sure they could hang with the Yankees of the 50's and 60's but who knows. It would be a blast to watch.
The Edge....there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who truly know where it is have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson
KABarash

Re: Now Gary Carter?

Post by KABarash »

theflash784 wrote: Detroit Tiger fan.
Harry Eisenstat in 2003
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

The Mets of the 80's had the power and talent of the Mets of the 60's thanks to all those listed above. New York teams have always been lead by their catchers, remember Munson of the Yankees.
Gary Carter will be missed too young to be taken so painfully.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

I didn't care for the Mets as I grew up a Braves fan, but he was an exceptional player, a humble man, and a true gentleman on and off the field and he made it easy to respect him for his talents and abilities. He tried to learn French when he was traded to the Expos so he could fit in better and talk to fans; can you imagine a player in any sport these days who would do that?

It was heartbreaking to hear the dispatches following his diagnosis. You always hope they can beat the odds, but usually we're left to mourn the passing of a gifted individual.

RIP, Gary Carter.
"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"