New Basket

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

KABarash

New Basket

Post by KABarash »

Been looking for a basket to replace the over sized (18"x13") milk crate I've had on the back of the scoot since it is probably more than 40 years old and 3 years on the back of the scoot has led to it's demise, (the bottom is cracking out) Have found this alternative at Lowes. http://www.lowes.com/pd_129718-46-GAWA1 ... facetInfo= It's made for garage storage, rated to carry 35 pounds, should 'fit the bill'
I used a 'Dremmel' tool to zip off the top 'hooks' and used wing nuts to facilitate easy removal when I feel the need to go without it.
Pictures to follow when I find my camera...... :roll:
Attachments
new basket.jpg
new basket.jpg (30.97 KiB) Viewed 1508 times
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

So, did you find your camera? :)
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

michelle_7728 wrote:So, did you find your camera? :)
Ummm..... no :oops:
Here's a 'crappy-cell-phone-pic' during the 'dry fit stage'
Attachments
basket to scoot dry fit.jpg
basket to scoot dry fit.jpg (40.32 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
Nullius in verba
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Wow that's a lot bigger than the first photo made it look, I kinda like it!
How well does it handle a lot of weight, since the sides extend out so far?
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

KABarash wrote:
michelle_7728 wrote:So, did you find your camera? :)
Ummm..... no :oops:
Here's a 'crappy-cell-phone-pic' during the 'dry fit stage'
eh, don't worry about it! Looks fine! I have two cameras, and I use my cell phone for all my pictures any more. :)
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Curious, are you going to leave the round thingy's on and put red reflectors in them? They look recessed which is why I am asking.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

The round 'thingies' are staying as they are the only bridge to support the top bar. I've rounded off the tops trimming off the tab part of the bracket.
Reflectors..... Hmmmm......... GREAT idea!

Luna,
At 18X12X6 inches I am able to set the average case of beer in it, which I won't because at only 150lbs myself if I do that I'll never keep the front wheel on the road when I accelerate :wink:
Seriously, I always try to balance the weight, it's made to hold about 35 lbs, I try to keep the heaviest towards the front of the scoot and the middle of the basket. I'm going to keep my eye on it though, I will change the install with the mounting plates UNDER the basket for extra support, THANKS for the idea!

michelle,
Ummmm............ :oops: :oops: I think my camera is still at my mom's house from when I was there over the Thanksgiving holiday, that's the last I consciously remember having it.
Being that my cell phone is over six years old it's amazing that it takes pictures at all..... :roll:
Nullius in verba
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Project completed, scoot washed, Camera found....... :oops:

agrogod; Thanks for the reflector suggestion, they look like they 'belong'.
Attachments
IMG_1281.JPG
IMG_1281.JPG (77.89 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
IMG_1280.JPG
IMG_1280.JPG (73.62 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
IMG_1279.JPG
IMG_1279.JPG (82.16 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
IMG_1278.JPG
IMG_1278.JPG (85.81 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
Nullius in verba
Jackie F

Post by Jackie F »

Cool!

I found some cheap reflective belts & weaved them through my crate. They really pop out.

agrogod

Post by agrogod »

KABarash wrote:Project completed, scoot washed, Camera found....... :oops:

agrogod; Thanks for the reflector suggestion, they look like they 'belong'.
When I first saw the pic those just screamed out "PUT A REFLECTOR IN ME", glad I was able to actually see the end results. Nice job.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Jackie F,
My old milk crate, which the bottom eventually fell out, had an Army PT Belt on it, I was told it was visible up to 1 mile... (Is there is a clear sight line in Pa like that?)
I like the basket your friend has on the Vespa, I actually have been looking for something ever since I first got my Buddy, and then gave up....
Nullius in verba
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

The new basket looks great, KABarash! Those reflectors fit in those spots perfectly, it's almost like they were made for that purpose.

I also like the reflective belts woven through, JackieF. I put some reflective striping around the top of mine to make it and me a little more visible, but I rarely use it after dark anyway. A couple larger reflective thingers may help during the day though, so I'm definitely going to look into getting another reflective belt for them, very clever!
My question is where does one find a bungee net in any color other than black? I want to get a couple more, because darn if those things aren't super handy... and a couple in some other colors would be nifty.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I know it's all about visibility, especially in light of Luna's most resent incident, and the fact that my new commute takes me along the Susquehanna River, very foggy these spring like mornings. I want to keep it looking clean and 'un-cheesey' these days.
I have been thinking a set of 'Brake Pods' might now be fitting for somewhere on the basket.
Nullius in verba
Jackie F

Post by Jackie F »

AWinn6889 wrote:My question is where does one find a bungee net in any color other than black? I want to get a couple more, because darn if those things aren't super handy... and a couple in some other colors would be nifty.
Search for Bikemaster net. You can find them at Amazon. FYI, I've already lost a hook on the first of using it. I don't know how.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

Jackie F wrote:
AWinn6889 wrote:My question is where does one find a bungee net in any color other than black? I want to get a couple more, because darn if those things aren't super handy... and a couple in some other colors would be nifty.
Search for Bikemaster net. You can find them at Amazon. FYI, I've already lost a hook on the first of using it. I don't know how.
Will do, thanks! As long as there are at least 4 hooks I think it should work just fine.. you could always throw a large keychain hook of some sort or a large carabiner on it if you're still feeling iffy.