STELLAAAAA......

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Buddy_wannabe

STELLAAAAA......

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

Have I got this right .... they no longer make the Stella but it is getting brought back? What years was it made? When is it coming back?
Keys

Post by Keys »

Stellas were made by the Indian company; LML. LML was experiencing labor issues and shut down. They have since resolved said issues and resumed manufacturing. The Stellas that will once again be made available are still manufactured by the same folks who gave us the original Stella and are probably no different...unless they have done something to clean up emissions. They will not be previous year models, they will be brand new '07's or '08's...however they label them.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
cowgirl helmet

Post by cowgirl helmet »

Don't forget to mention that there won't be many of them, at least at first.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

There are 220 (we hear) coming to the US in October. These are probably the fulfillment of an order Genuine had with the factory before it was closed due to the labor strike so will be no different than earlier Stellas.

As far as production of new ones and the true return of the line, no one outside Genuine knows for sure, though rumors have been running rampant. Genuine has said that they have a number of exciting announcements for '08 but that may be more Asian or other imports. They're cleverly keeping tight-lipped and letting the buzz build.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

From what I hear, not all dealers will be getting Stellas either.

I know for sure that Metro Scooter in Cincinnati will have a few.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

Motorsports (SD, CA) says they anticipating the Stellas.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pcbikedude wrote:Motorsports (SD, CA) says they anticipating the Stellas.
In 2007?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

You know, I neglected to ask when we were.

I hope we see them this year.
nonsense

Post by nonsense »

Metro said we wouldn't have any confirmation on dates until the shipment was actually "on the water"
-Cultivate Eccentricity
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

Here we are in October and Stellas are just vapor scoot. Anyone hear any rumors recently?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pcbikedude wrote:Here we are in October and Stellas are just vapor scoot. Anyone hear any rumors recently?
A full page Genuine ad on the back cover of Scoot! Quarterly says: "Beauty is timeless. So is Stella. Welcome back, sweetheart."

I believe I'd read a while ago that the Stellas were en route to the U.S. But since they're not bound for CA, I can't ask my local dealer.

The ad seems to imply the Stella will be back in production. I plan on trying to get some answers from Genuine next week.
dannyW

Post by dannyW »

mike at noho said they might be here in late october......

2 stroke geunine goodness???

maybe......

mike from hono?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

That was the local dealer I couldn't ask! Heh.

I'd heard that none of the 220 coming to the U.S. this year are CA-legal. I'd be happy to be wrong about that. There hasn't been any official word from Genuine about the Stella coming to CA, though. I'm hoping for 2008.

We do know they've got a big website redesign in progress and I bet new scooter models is a part of that.
chickierider

The new Stellas

Post by chickierider »

I heard that they're getting rid of its manual transmission. Can anyone substantiate that rumor?
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

No, it's ALL RUMOR right now...
"Life Is all about ASS! You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, or trying to get a piece of it!"
lobsterman

Re: The new Stellas

Post by lobsterman »

chickierider wrote:I heard that they're getting rid of its manual transmission. Can anyone substantiate that rumor?
I don't expect them to change anything. That would be costly and time consuming, which I doubt the manufacturer is interested in doing after being shut down for so long.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: The new Stellas

Post by ericalm »

lobsterman wrote:
chickierider wrote:I heard that they're getting rid of its manual transmission. Can anyone substantiate that rumor?
I don't expect them to change anything. That would be costly and time consuming, which I doubt the manufacturer is interested in doing after being shut down for so long.
Nahh... never! Fact is, as a CVT the Stella would lose much of its appeal to people who want a vintage scoot with a warranty and many miles in its future.
sparty

Post by sparty »

I noticed something on the ad that I never seen before. Genuine's tag line "America's smallest scooter company"... Why would anyone claim to be the smallest? strange...
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

sparty wrote:I noticed something on the ad that I never seen before. Genuine's tag line "America's smallest scooter company"... Why would anyone claim to be the smallest? strange...
It's kind of a joke and, in some ways, kind of not. The Genuine ad and catalog images have always had a retro, "filling station," Mayberry gone hip kind of appeal. Their marketing has always been based around the fact that they're a small, homegrown outfit, where scooterists come first and people can get personal attention and service.

The intent (I guess) is to contrast with Piaggio Vespa, the Japanese makers, and the many nameless Chinese scooter companies. How many Piaggio corporate employees have ever posted on Modern Vespa?

There's some irony involved, too, because even the Stella was (is? will be?) built at a LML factory in India that makes variations of the Vespa P-series clone for a lot of international markets.

So it's kind of tongue in cheek, but also kind of true.
Dan Buddy

Post by Dan Buddy »

I talked to my dealer about the Stellas last week and their opinion was that this 200 or so that are coming in are beta/quality check to see if they want to start reimporting from LML. They indicated that there were some real quality issues as the end of the run and before Genuine jumps back in they want to make sure that the quality is where they need it to be.
My response to that is why would they run a full page add on the back of Scoot magazine is they weren't sure? I sorta feel like Genuine is jerking us around at times. All I want is a little info about their plans. I will be buying a larger scooter between now and next spring. I would probably pick up a Stella if I knew they were definitely going to be here but if something good pops up before Genuine makes it official I will probably buy it.
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Keep in mind this first batch of Stellas are likely composed of scooters that were in various states of completion prior to the labor strike at LML. It's not as if they started fresh from the beginning.
<b>2006 Buddy 125
1974 Honda CB350F
1972 Honda CB350 Twin
1968 Honda S90
1965 Lambretta Li150

1975 Ford Bronco</b>
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

Dan,

even when I was an Apple employee I wanted to know what they were doing.

Now that I'm not, I'd LOVE to know exactly what they're planning next to see if I could buy more stock.

Me WANTING to know their plans aren't changing the fact that they'll keep it to themselves until they are ready. Rumor sites, editorials and boards might be on point with their assumptions/rumors and all but in the end the general public will be allowed to know when the company is ready.

Hell, that's how it is at my current job. They're beta testing things but only a select few clients know because we need them to help us weed out bugs. The rest don't have a clue, I don't tell them even if they ask.

Your request from to know what Genuine will be doing will NEVER happen unless you go work for them.
"Life Is all about ASS! You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, or trying to get a piece of it!"
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

If you’re looking for Stella news and rumors you should check out http://www.stellaspeed.com/

I think you have to create an id to view their boards.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

My understanding was that Genuine was aiming for the highest possible quality with the new Stellas and that they are definitely not "beta" models. In fact, I was told that they were employing a new paint process that would result in quality equal or superior to Vespa's. If anything, the Stella would be a flagship model, not a loss leader.

Of course, I was also told to look for the first arrivals in September or October and we're still waiting...
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

A dealer's website in New Orleans says November.
mattgordon

Wishful thinking

Post by mattgordon »

pcbikedude wrote:A dealer's website in New Orleans says November.
That really doesn't mean much...
pcbikedude

Re: Wishful thinking

Post by pcbikedude »

mattgordon wrote:That really doesn't mean much...
True statement. If you look at other sites, they still say September. Ha!

I would like to see them in CA. But as long as they are 2 strokers smokers that won't happen.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pcbikedude wrote:
mattgordon wrote:That really doesn't mean much...
True statement. If you look at other sites, they still say September. Ha!

I would like to see them in CA. But as long as they are 2 strokers smokers that won't happen.
Maybe not this batch of Stellas, but maybe next year if they go back into full production. There are a number of factors that would make this possible, but what it really comes down to is that the Stella could pass CARB with some adjustments.
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

ericalm wrote:Maybe not this batch of Stellas, but maybe next year if they go back into full production. There are a number of factors that would make this possible, but what it really comes down to is that the Stella could pass CARB with some adjustments.
How would this happen? 1) Catalytic converter system similar to the Rattler buck ten? 2) Change to a 4-stroke engine?

Here's the question that needs to be answered if CA is going to see any Stellas: Would they be able to sell a sufficient quantity in CA to justify a special emissions setup. Or, do you force CA emission setup on the rest of the 49 states?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pcbikedude wrote:
ericalm wrote:Maybe not this batch of Stellas, but maybe next year if they go back into full production. There are a number of factors that would make this possible, but what it really comes down to is that the Stella could pass CARB with some adjustments.
How would this happen? 1) Catalytic converter system similar to the Rattler buck ten? 2) Change to a 4-stroke engine?

Here's the question that needs to be answered if CA is going to see any Stellas: Would they be able to sell a sufficient quantity in CA to justify a special emissions setup. Or, do you force CA emission setup on the rest of the 49 states?
Neither 1 nor 2 may be necessary. From what I've heard, federal standards have actually been upgraded to almost the same as CA. I don't think they'd need a "special" version for CA—just to make whatever modifications needed to get it to CA specs and sell that version nationwide.

I haven't heard anything other than rumor, though, that the Stella will be coming to CA. All I know is that it's not impossible, and I've been told by pretty knowledgeable sources that the CA emissions standards can be met without severely compromising performance.

I've been looking for the actual legal code regarding 2 strokes and will post anything I find.
Keys

Post by Keys »

...there are SOOOOOooo many reasons I don't live in California...

--Keys 8)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Keys wrote:...there are SOOOOOooo many reasons I don't live in California...
For which we're eternally grateful. :P
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

pcbikedude wrote: Here's the question that needs to be answered if CA is going to see any Stellas: Would they be able to sell a sufficient quantity in CA to justify a special emissions setup. Or, do you force CA emission setup on the rest of the 49 states?
Well, I imagine its not out of the question to import a 50 state compliant Stella. There is a lot of incentive to do that. VW pulled all their diesel cars out of the US market in '07 while they redesigned their small diesel engine to be 50 state compliant. I own a Ural motorcycle and IMZ is hard at work fuel injecting their engine to make it 50 state compliant rather than use extra gadgetry for CA. After all its really not just CA (even though CA alone is 10% of the US market). About a dozen other states are implementing standards the same as or equal to CARB. OR and WA are both phasing in CA standards in the next two years. Most companies can read the writing on the wall.
Keys

Post by Keys »

ericalm wrote:For which we're eternally grateful. :P
...A wise guy, huh? Nyuk, nyuk...

--Keys 8)
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

Keys wrote:...there are SOOOOOooo many reasons I don't live in California...

--Keys 8)
We keep the fruits but the nuts rolled into AZ :twisted:
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

ericalm wrote:
pcbikedude wrote:

Neither 1 nor 2 may be necessary. From what I've heard, federal standards have actually been upgraded to almost the same as CA. I don't think they'd need a "special" version for CA—just to make whatever modifications needed to get it to CA specs and sell that version nationwide.

I haven't heard anything other than rumor, though, that the Stella will be coming to CA. All I know is that it's not impossible, and I've been told by pretty knowledgeable sources that the CA emissions standards can be met without severely compromising performance.

I've been looking for the actual legal code regarding 2 strokes and will post anything I find.
I'd be surprised to find the Stella (as we now know it) in California anytime soon. The cost to get it CARB approved is tremendous, and would likely be reflected in the cost of each CA legal scooter, and of course has to be spread out over a LARGE volume of scooters, which in manufacturing terms, the Stellas are not produced in even for national consumption.

As far as the Rattler 110 goes, remember thats actually a PGO scooter designed for, and sold domestically in the Asian market, so it was designed with their high standards for low emissions in mind from the beginning.

India (home of LML) is not too environmentally conscious ( at least no to the level of the Asian countries), and so their existing design would have to be dramatically changed in order to make CA legal. The DOT stuff (lights, turn signal widths, etc) required to meet FEDERAL DOT standards are easy...but now were talking complete technology re-think on the Stella/LML in order to make it meet standards.

I know there is a lot of buzz around this, but buzz is cheap, the manufacturers love it (create it...it's cheap PR) and that doesn't do away with the reality of things. I'm certain Genuine has some cool tricks up their sleeves, but I don't think a CARB approved Stella is one of them, at least in the near future.

I hope I am wrong about this!
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

Genuine is saying, "No Stellas for you!". Stellas will not be in California this year according to Motorsports. Too bad for us.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pcbikedude wrote:Genuine is saying, "No Stellas for you!". Stellas will not be in California this year according to Motorsports. Too bad for us.
This year being '07 or '08?

I think we already knew those coming in '07 would not be coming to CA. I believe these are the fulfillment of an order that Genuine had with LML before the strike.

Genuine has not yet officially announced that the Stella is going back into full production. So I think much of the speculation is, "If and when they do, will the new Stella be the same or a 50-state compliant version 2.0?"
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

ericalm wrote:
pcbikedude wrote:Genuine is saying, "No Stellas for you!". Stellas will not be in California this year according to Motorsports. Too bad for us.
This year being '07 or '08?

So I think much of the speculation is, "If and when they do, will the new Stella be the same or a 50-state compliant version 2.0?"
'07 Year. Who knows what will happen next model year? Maybe a Stella 4-stroke version like the extinct Bajaj Chetak?
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

bump

Scooterworks is taking deposits:
New details include improved paint quality, Grimeca disc brake, Continental Zippy 1 performance tires. Will come in Avocado (with whitewalls standard), Powder Blue, Red, Tangerine, and Black. She will retail for $3,399.00 and Scooterworks is now taking deposits for the Chicago metro area.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

Scooterville is already sold out of the Avocado and Powder Blue models, and they haven't even arrived yet!
-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

lobsterman wrote:Scooterworks is taking deposits:
New details include improved paint quality, Grimeca disc brake, Continental Zippy 1 performance tires. Will come in Avocado (with whitewalls standard), Powder Blue, Red, Tangerine, and Black. She will retail for $3,399.00 and Scooterworks is now taking deposits for the Chicago metro area.
Chicago will get all of 'em!

Where did you see this? I can't find it on their site or on Genuine's.
mlstephens

Post by mlstephens »

ericalm wrote: Where did you see this? I can't find it on their site or on Genuine's.

In an email from Scooterworks sent today.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

ericalm wrote:Chicago will get all of 'em!

I've been told Metro Scooter in Cincinnati will get a couple of them too.

I got the email mlstephens mentioned from Scooterworks.

As for depending on the Scooterworks or Genuine website for current information, well... let's just say they don't exemplify the cutting edge of using the web to deliver up to the minute information.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
jetboy

Post by jetboy »

ericalm wrote:
lobsterman wrote:Scooterworks is taking deposits:
Chicago will get all of 'em!

I'm sure Scooterworks is only taking deposits for the Chicago area because that is their locale - the whole "no mail order scooters" stance.

-jetboy
"All these things - like telly witch-doctors, and advertising pimps, and show business pop song pirates - they despise us - dig? - they sell us cut-price sequins when we think we're getting diamonds."
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jetboy wrote:
ericalm wrote: Chicago will get all of 'em!
I'm sure Scooterworks is only taking deposits for the Chicago area because that is their locale - the whole "no mail order scooters" stance.
Oh, I just meant that since the two are "sister companies," Scooterworks gets first shot at all of them and can horde all they want!

The whitewalled avocado Stella sound kind of like a Buddy SI. I guess the SI's popularity has shown Genuine it may be a popular color. Might be interesting to have a Stella in the same color scheme.
evilscooterkitty

Post by evilscooterkitty »

I saw some pictures of the new Stellas and they look GREAT. They are enroute and, yes, some dealers are already sold out of some colours BEFORE the scooters even show up. The only change I noticed in the pictures is that the hand control buttons seem to have been reversed with the headlight switch on the starboard side and the turn signal switch on the port side.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

evilscooterkitty wrote:I saw some pictures of the new Stellas and they look GREAT. They are enroute and, yes, some dealers are already sold out of some colours BEFORE the scooters even show up. The only change I noticed in the pictures is that the hand control buttons seem to have been reversed with the headlight switch on the starboard side and the turn signal switch on the port side.
Pictures? Where? Can we see 'em? You are evil!
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

ericalm wrote:Pictures? Where? Can we see 'em? You are evil!
I think they are referring to the Scooterville website. Awesome colors!
http://www.scootervillemn.com/scooters/ ... tella.html

I haven't heard of any deliveries...yet.
Hey Buddy

Post by Hey Buddy »

The pictures on the Scooterville site are of the old Stella. I believe the pictures of the new Stella have not been released to the public yet.