Blur owners' opinions

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Cheshire

Blur owners' opinions

Post by Cheshire »

I've been looking at the blur 220 lately, and while I've just about got the stats memorized at this point, there are a few things I'm curious about that only first-hand experience can tell. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

It looks like the foot rests (floorboards?) are faired to offer some wind protection. How well does that work?

How much does a Blur weigh, and where does the weight play in: top/bottom-heavy?

With the shock mount being central, something I'm concerned about is carrying loads. How does the Blur handle cargo? Passenger, rear rack/top case, saddlebags. What's the weight limit?

With both the battery and power outlet being under the seat...how easily could I run wires for gloves or the like? Will that mess with the seat closing or risk pinching a cord?

Edit: I forgot to ask...just how is that seat, anyway? Is it really that bad? How long do y'all ride before it gets uncomfortable?

Thanks in advance. :)
blurblaine

Re: Blur owners' opinions

Post by blurblaine »

Cheshire wrote:I've been looking at the blur 220 lately, and while I've just about got the stats memorized at this point, there are a few things I'm curious about that only first-hand experience can tell. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

It looks like the foot rests (floorboards?) are faired to offer some wind protection. How well does that work? YES, IT BLOCKS A LOT...

How much does a Blur weigh, and where does the weight play in: top/bottom-heavy? EXCELLENT BALANCE ... NOT TOP OR BOTTOM HEAVY

With the shock mount being central, something I'm concerned about is carrying loads. How does the Blur handle cargo? Passenger, rear rack/top case, saddlebags. What's the weight limit? HOW MUCH DO YOU WIEGH AND YOUR PASSENGER? IF THE 2 OF YOU ARE UNDER 350 LBS = NO PROBLEM. YES, THE RIDE IS ROUGHER WITH 2-UP, BUT GOOD OVERALL

With both the battery and power outlet being under the seat...how easily could I run wires for gloves or the like? Will that mess with the seat closing or risk pinching a cord?

Edit: I forgot to ask...just how is that seat, anyway? Is it really that bad? How long do y'all ride before it gets uncomfortable? 1 HOUR MAX UNTIL NUMB BUTT ...

Thanks in advance. :)
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250
http://www.blainekelley.com/scooters.html

orange is good ... except in the NFL!
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

35 views and 1 reply. Tight-lipped group. :/
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Thanks for the info, Blaine. The floorboards had me concerned: good to hear.

Reason I'm asking is I'm debating between a blur 220, a Buddy 170, and a Buddy 125. I'm familiar with the Buddy, but the nearest in-stock blur is 170 miles away.
blurblaine

Post by blurblaine »

blurblaine wrote:
Cheshire wrote:
150 INFO ... I'm sure the 220 is close if not identical...

How much does a Blur weigh, and where does the weight play in: top/bottom-heavy? EXCELLENT BALANCE ... NOT TOP OR BOTTOM HEAVY

291 LBs is the bike's dry weight

With the shock mount being central, something I'm concerned about is carrying loads. How does the Blur handle cargo? Passenger, rear rack/top case, saddlebags. What's the weight limit?

ACTUALLY THE 150 MANUAL has a 110Kg = 242 LB load limit .... but my wife and I are above 300 LB and the scooter feels and handles fine. Many have thought this is a misprint...
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250

blurblaine

Post by blurblaine »

Cheshire wrote:Thanks for the info, Blaine. The floorboards had me concerned: good to hear.

Reason I'm asking is I'm debating between a blur 220, a Buddy 170, and a Buddy 125. I'm familiar with the Buddy, but the nearest in-stock blur is 170 miles away.
The overall speed sensation on the Buddy is greater, being a much smaller scooter ... but I've always been a fan of the Blur's much bigger wheel diameter (especially because in Cincinnati we have lots of pot holes ... year-round) for control and peace of mind. If you want to ride 2-up, then the bigger engine (170 or 220) is 'a must' if you desire to do some longer-distance cruising. Honestly, the Buddy seat is way more comfy for longer cruising, but I still prefer the better brakes, handling, and overall bike-like ride of the Blur. Buddy is more 'classic' looking too, but the Blur is simply a superior scooter to just about everything out there. Still think it is ahead of the curve ...
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250

Edwub

Post by Edwub »

I posted this in December, 2011 (a few months ago) in the "would you buy without a test ride" thread.

You may want to read that as others chimed in with their opinions on the Blur itself.

I'll repost mine:
For me personally, I couldn't buy without test riding. I've ridden my friends Buddy 125 and my bro-in-laws Fly 150, but put over 7k miles on a 50cc Honda Metro. Seems like you're more used to scooters so it may not be an issue for you.

I had it delivered and all the paperwork handled from TO Powersports for $4300 cash even. Got it at the end of August, and I'm only approaching 900 miles on it so far.

It's a little tall for me (30" inseam). I don't mind the seat, but some people have commented they find it uncomfortable or that they 'want to' sit closer to the hump. I can't flatfoot it. I can put one foot flat, if I tilt a little and stretch my leg out, or if the street is angled. (I can put just under half my foot flat usually). I think one of the complaints I've read about the seat is that it's a little painful after an hour of riding. I haven't noticed it (perhaps because I'm shorter, I sit in a different position).

The sideview mirrors don't bend back as far as I want. I can't seem to angle it without me getting my arms/shoulders/side in view. I'm not sure if that's common to scooters or not, but I like being barely able to see myself to maximize my views.

I had some issue with my seat latch: I think the mechanism needed to wear in, but it was difficult to force the seat to latch for the first month. I'm sure this kind of thing varies in every scooter.

I got the tachometer weirdness for less than .2 miles at my first fill up (with 18 miles on the odo), but other than that, absolutely no engine issues or anything funky at all. It hasn't come back. Most of my daily commute is under 50mph, but I topped at 72mph (indicated) on a test speed run recently.

My only big complaint is my MPG. Workday commuting where I am destroys me - check my fuelly link below. I did get better the week I went with the LA Scooter Group (70ish). My current MPG means I need to fill up about every 70 miles or so. My minor complaint would be I don't like gassing this scooter up. The gas cover is awkwardly placed for me, I can't tell when I fill it fully or not. And if you get any splash or gasoline dribble, it'll either look ugly or risk messing up your pants! That's actually something I dislike more than I originally thought I would.

I had commented before in this forum about my MPG being a little low; Rippinyarn had said when his scooter was new he was getting 55mpg before it started bumping up. I'm pretty sure that my location (West LA) is what causes it. My traffic is worse, my red lights are greater, my stop signs are more frequent, and my traffic is ahsadajsgdasjd. That's really the only major complaint I've had.

And I'm not blaming the scooter for it, it is what it is, but I would keep it in mind if a lot of your riding is workplace commuting in traffic or stop-n-go streets. The other two scooters I mentioned above also get less than average MPG for their models, which is why I'm convinced it's our location/traffic conditions. (Though both their MPGs beat mine)

edited for another potential complaint: the lights at night. The default front lights look a bit odd. It's not an even illumination, it kinda bends and creases at angles. In fact, when there's no streetlight, I can literally read the imprint on the light casing, because it's left as a shadow that doesn't get illuminated. Kind of funny.

You might want to ask your dealer if you can try to see the lights somehow. That's something that usually doesn't get noted during a test ride (daytime settings).

another edit:
Pet carrier spacing can be tricky. I was originally more concerned about fit because my seat wouldn't latch perfectly.

My full face medium sized GMAX GM48 helmet fits in there, but not much else on top of or on the sides of it. (Stuff things into the helmet?)
I tested a medium sized modular helmet (bell revolver rally) and it kind of fit in there, but it needed to be squeezed in and it would push up against the seat, so I didn't think it was trustworthy.
My modular is a large (had to return the medium) but I wouldn't even try to put it in the pet carrier.

I specifically am trying to find ALL the potential negatives to 'warn you' about in this post As you can tell from the length of the post, I'm really nitpicking, but it's an expensive thing so I figure I'll throw every scrap I have, just in case any of it is helpful in your considerations.

Overall, I'm happy a few months in on mine and approaching 900 miles. I loooove it when I'm riding for fun, or on wide open roads, or especially Highway 1 from Santa Monica to Malibu
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I don't think it's really a tight-lipped group. I think it's just that Blurs aren't that numerous.

I notice you also have a Kaw 900. I still have a motorcycle (Honda PC800) but am curious about scooters. I can "justify" wanting one with the economy argument but really I'd like to have something lighter for fun. I can always turn to the Honda for the interstates & such.

Which came first for you, bikes or scooters?
davelhunter

My opinion

Post by davelhunter »

I've been looking at the blur 220 lately, and while I've just about got the stats memorized at this point, there are a few things I'm curious about that only first-hand experience can tell. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

It looks like the foot rests (floorboards?) are faired to offer some wind protection. How well does that work? They block the wind very well. I have ridden in extremely cold weather and it blocks almost all the air. Big difference from my motorcycle!

How much does a Blur weigh, and where does the weight play in: top/bottom-heavy? The bike feels extremely light and well balanced. Definitely not top or bottom heavy. It feels just right and the turning is excellent.

With the shock mount being central, something I'm concerned about is carrying loads. How does the Blur handle cargo? Passenger, rear rack/top case, saddlebags. What's the weight limit? I've ridden 2 up on the freeway with no problems. I have never bottomed out the rear shock.

With both the battery and power outlet being under the seat...how easily could I run wires for gloves or the like? Will that mess with the seat closing or risk pinching a cord? I have run a variety of accessories. you can run a power cord and still close the seat no problem.

Edit: I forgot to ask...just how is that seat, anyway? Is it really that bad? How long do y'all ride before it gets uncomfortable? Many people say it is uncomfortable. Since I am used to riding a sport bike, I think the seat is fine. I really don't have any complaints.

Honestly, I have more fun on the Blur than with my motorcycle. I use it both in town and on the freeway. I really like everything about the bike with the exception that it has been in the shop since Thanksgiving! The bike runs perfect while riding, but I have a problem when I am stopped that the idle is inconsistent and varies by about 1,500 rpm's going up & down. My ecm computer was sent to Genine to be re-flashed, tps sensor replaced, temp sensor replaced, valves re-checked, throttle body replaced, digital gauge cluster replaced, wiring harness checked, and a bunch of other stuff checked, but the problem still remains. Genuine has been great with trying to help figure out the problem and sending parts to my dealer. I have been in communicatin with them throughout. I am just bummed out that I've been without my bike for about 4 months. I am confident that it will get figured out soon. I just want to go riding!
Swordsman

Post by Swordsman »

Cheshire wrote:35 views and 1 reply. Tight-lipped group. :/
LOL, I think it's because few people can answer you... I popped in because I was curious as well. :wink:

~SM
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

I ride my 220 Blur all the time here in Detroit, in all sorts of weather and temperatures. I've commuted on it on the highway when I was working out of another office and it regularly take it on I-75 and on Woodward and the side streets. It's essentially the perfect sport scoot with it's competition being the Aprilia SR50 a class or two below and the Yamaha T-Max a class or two up.

Q: It looks like the foot rests (floorboards?) are faired to offer some wind protection. How well does that work?

A: They work pretty well at shielding one's legs from wind, water and road grime. If you are the right size to adopt a bit of a jockey's stance (knees in) it's even better

Q: How much does a Blur weigh, and where does the weight play in: top/bottom-heavy?

A: It's supposed to weigh around 300 lbs. but it really feels lighter. It's extremely well-balanced and I can lean it over at 5 mph or at 50 mph easily. It also returns upright very quickly and easily. It seems to out-handle other scooters when you are not even trying.

Q: With the shock mount being central, something I'm concerned about is carrying loads. How does the Blur handle cargo? Passenger, rear rack/top case, saddlebags. What's the weight limit?

A: A lot (all) modern sport motorcycles use a central shock and I don't think that they are limited in carrying capacity based on that. I've never had a problem, and I've done a few full storage w/passenger runs and not noticed any difference in the handling other than the weight of a person up high behind you.

Q: With both the battery and power outlet being under the seat...how easily could I run wires for gloves or the like? Will that mess with the seat closing or risk pinching a cord?

A: I keep my pig tail for my Battery Tender hooked up all the time and have had no problem shutting the seat or closing the battery cover. You don't want to use the "cell phone charger" socket for anything with a high draw, as it's fused pretty low. I hooked my heated grips up to the main power behind the headlight. You could easily run your wires from your gloves straight down and back into the underseat storage.

Q: How is that seat, anyway? Is it really that bad? How long do y'all ride before it gets uncomfortable?

A: It's not bad at all for short trips. For longer trips I can feel my tail bone as it hits the helmet dome - there is probably less than an inch of foam between the cover and the dome. My solution was to buy an Alaskan Leather Butt Pad (romantic name, I know), and it fits perfectly and gives me perhaps another half-inch of padding. I switch it between scoots and when I forget to switch it over when I'm riding the Blur it's generally no big deal for my 12 miles commute. I don't know if I'd like to do 50 miles without the pad though.

Enjoy the ride!
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Cheshire wrote:It looks like the foot rests (floorboards?) are faired to offer some wind protection. How well does that work?
There's not as much 'floor' space as I'd like, but more than many other scooters. You get pretty decent rain/wind protection, not better or worse than any modern scooter, I'd guess. With the 'filled up" center channel (where the gas tank is), I feel a bit vulnerable when there's a strong sidewind, especially with my 'tank bag' filling up even more space (probably not any different than a motorcycle, but I'm used to old Vespas). I blew over at a stop light once because I didn't have my right foot down and a gust caught me, ha.
Cheshire wrote:How much does a Blur weigh, and where does the weight play in: top/bottom-heavy?
The seating position and center of gravity feel high to me, but that's compared to an old Vespa, again, that's just my weird experience, it's a very well-balanced bike. It's hard to explain, but I've ridden many scooters and sometimes you just don't have a feeling for where your center of gravity is, and how it moves as you brake, turn, etc, but on the Blur you can definitely just 'feel' the center of gravity move around. I never thought of it that way before, but that might be one of the reasons I like it so much.
Cheshire wrote:With the shock mount being central, something I'm concerned about is carrying loads. How does the Blur handle cargo? Passenger, rear rack/top case, saddlebags. What's the weight limit?
I don't like using the back rack for anything heavy, I don't like having a high load like that, partially because of COG but also because I can't kick my leg over it, ha. It's definitely more 'sporty' than utilitarian. But between the helmet hooks, the underseat storage, and between your knees, you can carry a decent load for a short distance. And I have ridden 100 miles with a soft suitcase strapped behind It's doable, but again, it's not the best 'grocery getter.' I have a 'tank bag' that's great for day-to-day stuff, but it's not made any more, there might be newer ones. I've ridden several blogs with a 50-pound bag of cat litter between my legs, or a gas can for the lawnmower, but that's probably not the safest, ha.
Cheshire wrote:With both the battery and power outlet being under the seat...how easily could I run wires for gloves or the like? Will that mess with the seat closing or risk pinching a cord?
There's a soft rubber gasket around the seat. Probably not the best to do all the time. If I'm charging my phone I just leave it under the seat, I'm not into being plugged in to anything while I ride. Gloves and Jackets and such might not be great for your battery, someone else might know more about that. If i was doing it all the time, I'd just cut a notch somewhere to tuck it into, or add another outlet in the legshield.
Cheshire wrote:Edit: I forgot to ask...just how is that seat, anyway? Is it really that bad? How long do y'all ride before it gets uncomfortable?
We all joke about it, but it's not terrible. It's absolutely fine for day-to-day riding, just long trips can be rough. there are covers that make it much better for long rides. Probably not worse than a lot of scooters. I prefer a long, flat seat so you can move around on it, but it's definitely the trend to have a stepped seat like that, it's just a symptom of that style of bike.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

The "tight-lipped" bit was meant to be a chuckle. :) Here I was figuring all the Blur owners just didn't want to let the cat out of the carrier on this scooter! :lol:
Thanks for the feedback, y'all. This gives me just the answers I was after.

Scooters were first. I enjoy motorcycles, but if I had to choose either a motorcycle or a scooter as my primary/only...scooter, without a doubt. I put 19k on my Buddy 125, 1k on a Ninja 250, and have 5k on the Vulcan so far. I wouldn't mind another 125cc, but the 200-300cc range seems to be what suits me best. I ride year-round, lots of 55 mph roads with a little interstate as a shortcut when I'm watching the clock, and love exploring.

The Buddy was very bottom-heavy, which was great. In contrast, the ninja 250 I had for a couple months (hated it) was really top-heavy. The vulcan 900 is slightly bottom-heavy, but at 600 pounds (and me with a bad right leg) I've decided it's heavier than I should be riding. I keep getting in trouble with parking in places that look flat but end up being slightly downhill or are graveled. Hearing the Blur is half that is really good news. 300 pounds that's balanced-to-lower sitting would be really doable.

Seat height isn't an issue, in fact taller would be great. At 6'1" or so and a 35" inseam, a Buddy 125 just barely fits with about 3" of seat left behind me. If I stretched my legs at stoplights, my feet rested near the front tire! Long rides felt like sitting prim-and-proper in a straight-backed chair. My knees got in the way of tight turns if I wasn't paying attention.

So there is wind protection! :D The cruiser's footboards get me splashed by every puddle I go through. Also, wind and rain go up my pants legs. Brr. :shock:

I was concerned about the central shock mainly because I knew that, on the Buddy, I had to be careful with keeping weight away from the back end of the rear rack so it didn't strain the mount points via leverage. In pics, I had that running through my mind when I looked at the Blur. Glad to hear it's a non-issue! When I noticed the Blur 150 had about the same shock placement, I realized my concern was unfounded. Thanks for alleviating that worry.

Cool! Sounds like all I'm lacking is a road trip to find one to sit on and see if the stepped seat works for me. The nearest in-stock Blur is 150 miles away. I'll be getting back into scootering just as soon as I sell the Vulcan 900. Sounds like the Blur is going to fit my needs very well.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

SO glad to see some activity in this forum. I like learning about the Blur and it seems distinctly under appreciated.

The seat height of scoots in general has surprised me. I don't find them to be much shorter, if at all, than the average street bike, and taller than cruisers.

The Blur seems to sit in a sweet spot that allows for the advantages of a smaller scoot with highway capability thrown in.

As to wind blowing up your leg, just do like I do and tie something elastic around your cuff to hold it to your boot. Works pretty well in all but the iciest weather.[/i]
Rush

Post by Rush »

I rode the Blur 12 hours straight down to Gatlinburg on side roads and didn't have any problems with the seat... or anything else for that matter.
turboscott

Post by turboscott »

Now that I have had my Blur for a few months...2,000 miles of riding...and although still fun, I wish I waited a bit and picked up the Piaggio MP3 400 which is currently on sale for about 2,500+ less than MSRP. My bike seems to not be hitting over 60 as easilty as it did before...but it may be the oil I have in it is just not as friction friendly....we will see. Dont get em wrong...I still love my bike...but the MP3 is an even better bike IMO.
Voodoo "BOB" lights, Blur Rear Rack, SHAD SH40 Top Case, Brunton Fuel Cells, Garmin Nuvi with Ram Mount, Go Pro Hero 2 with Mount
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

As much as I admire those 3-wheelers, I believe Piaggio will not be importing any more into the U. S.

I personally don't like the idea of being orphaned.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I prefer 2 wheels. 3 just adds to cost of upkeep. Besides, some of the back roads I use that I can pick a line through the ruts would be really bumpy if I ended up on three separate tire lines instead of just 1. ;)
RoadRambler

Post by RoadRambler »

Unfortunately I can't share any really substantive info, just subjective enthusiasm! :lol: We finally picked up our Blur 150 Saturday and love love LOVE it. It's really to be DH's scoot and actually it is too tall for me (of course I rode it anyway), but I am really impressed with the power, the extra weight, the stability, and the handling as compared to our Buddy 125 and Roughhouse (both stock except RH is derestricted).

I realize my impressions are of a well-used 150 and not a new 220i, but I just like this scoot so much more than I ever thought I would. Nice step up from the "all-arounder" type that I consider the Buddy to be and into more of a performance machine. I was really pushing for picking up a lightly-used 150 International, but this bike (after seeing it on the floor at Scoot Richmond a few times) finally caught my husband's interest and I'm so, so glad it did. We have a bit of a versatile fleet now with a basic Buddy, the RH is great for playing around on the farm, and now a sporty scooter.

BTW this is lostmycage's former Blur, so we have a bike with quite a history!

I really wish this bike fit my short height better as I really really would love to have one myself!!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

RoadRambler wrote:Unfortunately I can't share any really substantive info, just subjective enthusiasm! :lol: We finally picked up our Blur 150 Saturday and love love LOVE it. It's really to be DH's scoot and actually it is too tall for me (of course I rode it anyway), but I am really impressed with the power, the extra weight, the stability, and the handling as compared to our Buddy 125 and Roughhouse (both stock except RH is derestricted).

I realize my impressions are of a well-used 150 and not a new 220i, but I just like this scoot so much more than I ever thought I would. Nice step up from the "all-arounder" type that I consider the Buddy to be and into more of a performance machine. I was really pushing for picking up a lightly-used 150 International, but this bike (after seeing it on the floor at Scoot Richmond a few times) finally caught my husband's interest and I'm so, so glad it did. We have a bit of a versatile fleet now with a basic Buddy, the RH is great for playing around on the farm, and now a sporty scooter.

I really wish this bike fit my short height better as I really really would love to have one myself!!
You've got a darn fine bike there. From talking with Scoot Richmond, that ole Blur of yours has had quite a bit of history since I had it. I'll tell you this: the Blur's frame is incredibly sturdy and the suspension is very agile. It should serve you well. It's the absolute best scooter suspension that I've ever ridden on and makes for a very responsive ride.

You can get the seat redone at a good re-upholsterer for not too much money (I've not been able to find anyone locally, but I've been enamored with my reworked MP3 seat from Cee Bailey). They could shave off some foam and add some more dynamic cushioning to it to make it fit you better as well as be more comfortable in general.

I'm quite happy to hear that my former Blur is still alive and kickin' (and being appreciated)! I often wish my needs hadn't outgrown it; it's a really great scooter. I still think it has the best gas cap ever; it's 100 times better than anything Piaggio ever imagined on it's larger scoots.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

I rode my 220 into work in Detroit today and I have to agree. This scoot is amazingly flexible. Sometimes I like to sort of just putt down the road, sometimes I like to tear it up, leaning the scoot over and using the brakes to balance the scoot prior to and into a turn (like I learned from the Yamaha racing school guys at the motorcycle show) and I'd like to think that it's making me a better, safer rider. Love this scoot.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
NASH

You will enjoy the Blur!

Post by NASH »

This scooter is a machine. Rode over 100 miles today and had a blast. It's fast and easy to handle.

I did the research and this won hands down. Safe, fast, great MPG, and a great investment.

NASH
Ormond

Deleted

Post by Ormond »

Deleted
DCUNITED4LIFE

Post by DCUNITED4LIFE »

Lostmycage wrote:
RoadRambler wrote:Unfortunately I can't share any really substantive info, just subjective enthusiasm! :lol: We finally picked up our Blur 150 Saturday and love love LOVE it. It's really to be DH's scoot and actually it is too tall for me (of course I rode it anyway), but I am really impressed with the power, the extra weight, the stability, and the handling as compared to our Buddy 125 and Roughhouse (both stock except RH is derestricted).

You've got a darn fine bike there. From talking with Scoot Richmond, that ole Blur of yours has had quite a bit of history since I had it. I'll tell you this: the Blur's frame is incredibly sturdy and the suspension is very agile. It should serve you well. It's the absolute best scooter suspension that I've ever ridden on and makes for a very responsive ride.

You can get the seat redone at a good re-upholsterer for not too much money (I've not been able to find anyone locally, but I've been enamored with my reworked MP3 seat from Cee Bailey). They could shave off some foam and add some more dynamic cushioning to it to make it fit you better as well as be more comfortable in general.

I'm quite happy to hear that my former Blur is still alive and kickin' (and being appreciated)! I often wish my needs hadn't outgrown it; it's a really great scooter. I still think it has the best gas cap ever; it's 100 times better than anything Piaggio ever imagined on it's larger scoots.
Another Blur rider from RVA here. RoadRambler I don't think we spoke at length but I think we met at the last first Sunday ride for Seven Hills Scoot Club.

http://7hillsscooterclub.com/2012/04/fi ... pril-2012/

Glad to see you are enjoying that Blur! I really like the 220i and I've put close to 7500 miles on it now. In regards to the seat, I find the small gas tank ensures that I get off the bike frequently enough on long rides to stretch out a bit and give my ass a rest. I've gone on some 4-6 hour rides several days in a row and been fine for the most part. (Richmond-Baltimore-Loudoun County-Richmond)

As far at the suspension goes, I find it stiff but that suits my riding style. I live and work in town and the streets can be pretty screwed up. If you spot the potholes (canyons) in time the scoot handles so well that I just swerve to avoid them. If you hit em' direct than yeah, it can be a lumbar destroyer but it makes for a sporty ride.

Don't know if anyone asked this but I can get to speeds of 80 indicated on the 220. Yes that is downhill, wide open, in a straight line for 1/2 a mile, but regularly do 60-70 with ease (so probably 55-65).

The scoot hasn't been without issues though although everything has been covered under warranty and parts were obtained quickly by the shop. These include bad idle sensor, dash lights failed requiring the entire board being replaced (my scoot now says 2,400 miles on the odometer instead of the correct reading), engine light came on (not the overheating indicator although I have done that too but it cooled off fine) and some diagnostics had to be performed as a result. Otherwise it has been oil changes and gas (which is why I bought it instead of a vintage bike for now) and free parking at work (which basically pays for the scooter).

People regularly ask me about it (not always ones I want to discuss with either) and while most people like scoots with classic styling I think sport scoots are pretty cool from time I spent in Spain and Latin America.

Overall, if I had to do it again, I think the Blur (G-max, I kinda don't care for the scoot having a different name here) is a really sweet scoot that handles well, picks up plenty quick, can handle road trips, and is great in the city. With the warranty included, I don't see any drawbacks to purchasing one from your local scooter shop other than having to stay out of the throttle to accommodate the Stella riders on group rides (heh heh!). Vamos United!
Attachments
blur 001 (Medium).jpg
blur 001 (Medium).jpg (52.82 KiB) Viewed 3992 times
blur (Medium).jpg
blur (Medium).jpg (46.64 KiB) Viewed 3992 times
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

very neat sticker/decal on the front there.

I think I should decorate mine!
DCUNITED4LIFE

Post by DCUNITED4LIFE »

As long as it isn't an LA Galaxy sticker I think we're cool.

RxBlur

Post by RxBlur »

I love my Blur, but as far as cargo, you should be warned that the OEM rear rack is junk. Mine only lasted a couple of months. It's meant to match up perfectly to the existing mounting holes, but it doesn't. I did finally get it mounted, but the first set of bolts sheared off until it was hanging on by a single bolt and (along with my topcase) flew off the bike on a busy road during rush hour. Thank goodness I didn't have my laptop in the topcase!

We replaced the bolts with stronger ones, only to have the rack itself snap in half. Fortunately, that time I noticed it was loose before I left campus!

Regarding the weight load, though, just as another person mentioned, my husband and I ride together with no problem, and we have greater than 400 lb. combined.
Last edited by RxBlur on Tue May 08, 2012 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DCUNITED4LIFE

Post by DCUNITED4LIFE »

I've had 2up with no issues. Going to camping rally this weekend with gear and I don't think it will be a problem either.
KCScooterDude

Original Blur owner

Post by KCScooterDude »

I thought I would chime in. I'm an owner of the original 150 Blur and it's a great scoot. I can only imagine the fuel injected 220 makes it that much better. I have an OEM rack, by the way, and I've had no problem with it. Maybe the new body is slightly different. Anyway, I love my blur. I love Genuine. I love my dealer Scooterworld in KC!
RxBlur

Post by RxBlur »

I'm glad to hear somebody's rack worked out, KC. I'm ordering a replacement from Scooterworks after all. They aren't considering it under warranty, but they're knocking 20% off, and the parts guy at our favorite shop up here in Lincoln didn't have any solutions other than that anyway. Maybe my second round will work out better. I'm also installing it with shock absorbers this time.

It would be great to see another Blur at ScootStock this summer, not to mention a few more Kansas City riders. It's the first week of August in Lincoln - keep an eye out for details later this summer!