Ahhhh.... nice riding day

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skully93

Ahhhh.... nice riding day

Post by skully93 »

So I got up far too early this morning. My wife worked until late afternoon, and I had no plans.

The weather was a bit foggy but warming fast. So I got on Yoda and headed toward the foothills.

What a great ride. it was only 1/2 an hour each way, as I skipped going up the mountain in favor of coffee and lunch with a friend.

But, it was a trip I made because I wanted to! I rode over 100 miles today between that and a bday party, and it was great.

Bring it, Spring!
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

100 miles in one hour combined riding time? Holy jetpacks, Batman! :P

Ah...re-read your post and it was more than 1 hour. :D
I was wondering what type of mods/fuel you were running. :wink:

Sounds like you had a nice long ride...never a bad thing!
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Sorry, that was total for the day, not total for the hour :P.

My wife followed me all the way home from the birthday party, and she could tell I was having a lot of fun.

She did ask "why do you weave around in your lane so much? "

My answer...giant f'n potholes. It made much more sense after that.
BigBenlor

Post by BigBenlor »

Awesome,

Yeah I got out on saturday for a nice long ride. ended up doing something like 80 miles (3 hours, with a stop for nachos and beer) we went up through a little mountain pass (great curvy roads) and then dove through Garden of the Gods (a city owned park with huge rock formations, and one way roads) then through the old part of town and home. Great weather and a fun time.

Next saturday I'm gonna ride up to denver for a group scooter ride (about 1 1/2 hours one way)

See you there Skully
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Looking forward to it, BB!

Some of the local clubs have some amazing rides set up. I hope to schedule a 'cemetery tour' one late in the summer.
BigBenlor

Post by BigBenlor »

skully93 wrote:Looking forward to it, BB!

Some of the local clubs have some amazing rides set up. I hope to schedule a 'cemetery tour' one late in the summer.
Not exactly sure what that is, I assume its a ride to a cemetary or 2, But sounds like It'd be fun, count me in.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Yep, that's it!

Manitou Springs has a cool one (and also, Elvira lives there!). But we have 3 really large ones here that I think would be fun to get 1 or two in at a time.

Definitely doing some ghost town tours this summer, but I don't believe those will be done on a scooter this time around.

Fairmount in Aurora is very large and ornate, Riverside is the oldest 'big' one, and Mt. Oliviet in West Denver/Wheat Ridge is also really neat.
BigBenlor

Post by BigBenlor »

skully93 wrote:Yep, that's it!

Manitou Springs has a cool one (and also, Elvira lives there!). But we have 3 really large ones here that I think would be fun to get 1 or two in at a time.

Definitely doing some ghost town tours this summer, but I don't believe those will be done on a scooter this time around.

Fairmount in Aurora is very large and ornate, Riverside is the oldest 'big' one, and Mt. Oliviet in West Denver/Wheat Ridge is also really neat.
Thats funny, I ride through manitou all the time (even this weekend) and I know elvira, she has come into where I work (shes a vegetarian and so am I)
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

The bf and I went up to a town just south of his home town yesterday for lunch, Glens Falls, NY. About an hour-ish up on route 50, and 45 back down on route 9, stopped in Saratoga on the way home to grab some cupcakes. It was great! A little chilly still, but great!
Of course, I told my dad about it later in the evening while discussing plans for his retirement party and he said "oh, you didn't take that little scooter thing all the way up there did you?!" to which I replied "um, of course I did Dad, it's more than capable!"
...he's still not impressed with the scoot, probably because he's used to a 6-cyl/carb Honda Valkyrie that has twice the horsepower of my car... but whatever, I love the scooter, and it was a great day!

Also, it's like 72 outside here today. That means riding to work in a t-shirt. Win!
BigBenlor

Post by BigBenlor »

AWinn6889 wrote:The bf and I went up to a town just south of his home town yesterday for lunch, Glens Falls, NY. About an hour-ish up on route 50, and 45 back down on route 9, stopped in Saratoga on the way home to grab some cupcakes. It was great! A little chilly still, but great!
Of course, I told my dad about it later in the evening while discussing plans for his retirement party and he said "oh, you didn't take that little scooter thing all the way up there did you?!" to which I replied "um, of course I did Dad, it's more than capable!"
...he's still not impressed with the scoot, probably because he's used to a 6-cyl/carb Honda Valkyrie that has twice the horsepower of my car... but whatever, I love the scooter, and it was a great day!

Also, it's like 72 outside here today. That means riding to work in a t-shirt. Win!
I tell you what, parents. My dad (who I work with) tells me everytime I talk about riding the 70 miles to denver to be carefull, and "those little things aren't ment to do that trip," or "that fast" or "people will not see you" or "you could fall asleep with that ong drive" ... really? all of those things apply just as much in a car, but I never hear it when I drive.

I think its because he has never been on a scoot and just doesnt know their limits, and NO Im not riding on the interstate dad (75mph, in colorado and about 1000-2000 feet in elevation change from colorado springs to denver) that'd be crazy.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

BigBenlor wrote: I tell you what, parents. My dad (who I work with) tells me everytime I talk about riding the 70 miles to denver to be carefull, and "those little things aren't ment to do that trip," or "that fast" or "people will not see you" or "you could fall asleep with that ong drive" ... really? all of those things apply just as much in a car, but I never hear it when I drive.

I think its because he has never been on a scoot and just doesnt know their limits, and NO Im not riding on the interstate dad (75mph, in colorado and about 1000-2000 feet in elevation change from colorado springs to denver) that'd be crazy.
Exactly! It's okay if the bf is behind the handle bars of the Sportster with me on the back, but it's not okay for me to ride my own bike?!
My dad knows I'm not riding on the interstates either, the scoot can do it here because our limits are 55 on the two in my area, but I don't even want to bother, people around here are NUTS! I could ride around dressed up like Big Bird and no one would see me!
The other thing is, when I was young my parents split, and I grew up with my dad... RIDING MY OWN dirtbikes, ATVs, on smaller road bikes, and on the back of his motorcycles... but now that I'm more serious about it, and actually have proper gear he's all worried! It just doesn't make sense.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Elvira is so nice! Manitou is a perfect place for her to hang.

I was a vegetarian for nearly 8 years. Though I am omnivorous now, I still strive to eat mostly veggie.

If you come up on a non-ride day there are a TON of places within walking distance of the house that are veggie and vegan, but also tasty!

I actually dared to take Yoda on I-25 the other morning because it was so early no one was around. It was just fine. Wouldn't do it any other time but I didn't feel like going a mile around.
BigBenlor

Post by BigBenlor »

skully93 wrote:Elvira is so nice! Manitou is a perfect place for her to hang.

I was a vegetarian for nearly 8 years. Though I am omnivorous now, I still strive to eat mostly veggie.

If you come up on a non-ride day there are a TON of places within walking distance of the house that are veggie and vegan, but also tasty!

I actually dared to take Yoda on I-25 the other morning because it was so early no one was around. It was just fine. Wouldn't do it any other time but I didn't feel like going a mile around.
Wow, ballsy
down here in the springs I-25 seems to run downhill from north to south, and I've though about getting on it on the north end, and ride south to see how it handles on the I, but as Awinn6889 points out, people are crazy! in town the speed limit is 65, but thats just a suggestion.
I have thought about the middle of the night, or even in rush hour (more cars, slower speeds) but I havent done it yet.
My scoot has hit 75mph before (honda elite 250), I just dont want to "have" to go that fast
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Sounds like a great ride! I've been out more on the scooter as well (have you seen the forecast for the next week!!!) but mostly just commuting. I've yet to venture into the foothills. I'd prefer to get my rear tire replaced first.
BigBenlor

Post by BigBenlor »

jmazza wrote:Sounds like a great ride! I've been out more on the scooter as well (have you seen the forecast for the next week!!!) but mostly just commuting. I've yet to venture into the foothills. I'd prefer to get my rear tire replaced first.
Yeah, with all of the "off road" driving you can do out here, there is a lot of tire replacing, my buddy on a c3 is getting a new set of really knobby tires, but he like to try and ride trails (thats a little TOO off road for me)

This weeks weather looks sooo good, but the problem is that since we turned the clocks forward it is now to cold and dark in the morning when I leave for work, I've got to give it a few days before I can start riding to work again, BUT I get to ride all evening now (just pleasure cruises, but I'm getting out on it)

I'm just gonna suck it up, bundle back up in the mornings (my record cold is 16 degrees) and unbundle for the ride home so I can ride!