wohoo! new gear!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skully93

wohoo! new gear!

Post by skully93 »

Thanks to a small raise, a decent bonus, and the understanding of my wife:

1) Kevlar jeans. I'm not overly concerned on my day to day short commute, but sometimes I like longer rides or have to hit higher speed roads. So, sliders 4.0 and knee armor! http://www.compacc.com/p/Sliders-Kevlar ... -Jeans-4-0

2) Corazzo Postale jacket. I have a good River Road jacket, but this is stylin' http://www.corazzo.net/the-postale-jacket

and last but not least, shoes. I have some nice leather cons that look great, but I'm sure they'd shred and my ankles would snap. so: http://www.performancecycle.com/Tour-Ma ... d=17233255

Overall I didn't spend too much and will have all the setup for now. I'll probably get some frog togs or something for rain later, but meh.
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

Nice!
How do the pants fit and look on you? Been thinking about getting me something like that for my long trips but really don't like
that armor look.
Do the pants look and feel like normal jeans?
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I'll post reviews and pics as soon as I get them, prolly within a week I'm guessing.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

New gear is always cool! Pics are indeed needed
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Corazzo Postale will likely be my next "every day" 3-season jacket. The Max is ready for retirement!

They also have a 6.0 jacket coming. Really interested in seeing that one!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

Nice man! :D

I'm saving up my pennies, (definitely now after the $400-ish part I had to just put in my car, dammit!) and will probably be buying a new mesh jacket for this summer. It's the Joe Rocket Cleo 2.0 or something like that... 150 bucks-ish. A new 3/4 helmet with a bubble shield to match is in the works as well, since my other 3/4 has reached, well passed, it's 5 year old done-zo mark. I have a friend that does custom helmet painting and pin striping, so I might wait to see what new silver mega-flake ones he gets in/does before I slap down $100 for the HJC I've had my eye on, which is pretty much the exact same helmet as my current one, but with more ventilation. Summer is still a little ways away, and it should not be sweltering hot before my birthday at the beginning of June, so both of these will probably have to wait until then.
Even so, I'm excited, and I haven't even ordered them yet!

In other news, I tried out my Slipstreamer Scoot 66 windshield today... the verdict is: I have to work on it a little bit.
I got all the way up to the next town (about 20 miles, 35, 45, 55, 45, 30mph limits), then the left side started coming loose and popping out when I hit bumps at 30mph or less, so I turned around and went home, stopping at almost every gas station on the way. I took it off before I went to work because I didn't have enough time to re-do the whole thing. On my way to work my right mirror came loose and swung at me, so I finger tightened it real quick then re-positioned it when I got here. It definitely had a butt-load of thread-lock in there, so it really shouldn't have come loose :? . Oh well, will fix it tomorrow when it's raining.
beastmaster

Post by beastmaster »

thanks for posting the links , like the new gear,, thumbs up !!
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I got my two jackets (a mesh Fieldsheer and a textile Joe Rocket) for around $50 each at motorcyclegear.com, formerly newenough.com. In fact, the Joe Rocket Nova 2 that I have is now down to $42 for some decent color schemes and sizes. Great deals on those clearance pages, if you're patient (and not a slave to scooter fashion).
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Good on you for the new gear, esp the jeans. I want to see pics of you wearing the jeans with the knee armor in, so I can formulate ideas about whether or not I'd like to try and buy some for myself.

Truth is, though, that I don't want JUST knee armor... after what I just went through I DEFINITELY also want something covering my shins if I'm going to the expense of armoring my legs.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

LunaP wrote:Good on you for the new gear, esp the jeans. I want to see pics of you wearing the jeans with the knee armor in, so I can formulate ideas about whether or not I'd like to try and buy some for myself.

Truth is, though, that I don't want JUST knee armor... after what I just went through I DEFINITELY also want something covering my shins if I'm going to the expense of armoring my legs.
If you can't find armored pants with sufficient shin protection, there are some gnarly soccer shin guards out there, it's worth a look.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Here's an option that I was recently exposed to. They're sort of "half chaps" but they're the more important half. They call them :arrow: Spats for some reason or another. Very neat concept, very reasonable price (assuming the armor holds up). No protection at all for the fleshy parts of the lower half, but it's got some protection for the boned (or "hurty" parts).
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Luna I'd not be surprised if you wore a set of hockey goalie armor after your ideal.

After I get everything I'll 'model' and review all my gear for the archives.

we need to break out the camera anyway as I'm getting a fair amount of tattoo work done, and need to document the individual pieces before they become 'whole'.

I have found that shopping for gear in the opposite season rules. My River Road jacket is of decent quality and I paid $89 for it. It might not be my most favorite jacket ever, but it's tough.
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Lostmycage wrote:Here's an option that I was recently exposed to. They're sort of "half chaps" but they're the more important half. They call them :arrow: Spats for some reason or another. Very neat concept, very reasonable price (assuming the armor holds up). No protection at all for the fleshy parts of the lower half, but it's got some protection for the boned (or "hurty" parts).
Added to bookmarks for consideration.

I like having options.
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

I have a decent pair of overpants with knee armor and hip pads. Mesh outer shell with a removable wind-rain liner. I've been wearing them so much lately while riding this winter that I feel somewhat naked without them on.

I've also been really intrigued by the Bohn armor pants. Sort of an Under Armour for motorcyclists. Don't know anyone who has them but they do look pretty protective with the benefit of being able to wear them under any type of pants.

Check it out here: http://www.bohn-armor-pants.com/catalog/
Last edited by HowHH on Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

AWinn6889 wrote:
LunaP wrote:Good on you for the new gear, esp the jeans. I want to see pics of you wearing the jeans with the knee armor in, so I can formulate ideas about whether or not I'd like to try and buy some for myself.

If you can't find armored pants with sufficient shin protection, there are some gnarly soccer shin guards out there, it's worth a look.
I actually bought CE-approved one-size fits all knee/shin guards because I wanted extra protection under my pants but not the bulk of overpants (I got these). They were a terrible fit! I have large calves (like, if I want boots higher than ankle height I have to go to the big woman's store and get wide calf boots) so I wasn't super surprised that they didn't fit me; but they didn't fit Lokky either, the straps were still too short and the knee armor in an odd place, and there's no reason an adult one-size-fits-all shouldn't fits my medium-tee-shirt-wearing european boyfriend! Pretty stupid and very discouraging. I hadn't gotten around to ordering a different pair to try out when I got into the accident :(
skully93 wrote:Luna I'd not be surprised if you wore a set of hockey goalie armor after your ideal.

After I get everything I'll 'model' and review all my gear for the archives.
Yeah. Pretty much. :?
rkcoker

Post by rkcoker »

HowHH wrote:I have a decent pair of overpants with knee armor and hip pads. Mesh outer shell with a removable wind-rain liner. I've been wearing them so much lately while riding this winter that I feel somewhat naked without them on.

I've also been really intrigued by the Bohn armor pants. Sort of an Under Armour for motorcyclists. Don't know anyone who has them but they do look pretty protective with the benefit of being able to wear them under any type of pants.

I ordered the pants and shirt and got them on Saturday the 10th. They are comfortable. I'm 5'9" and 230#, the large pants and extra large shirt fit just great. Today the 12th I wore the pants under jeans and am able to work without having take off the pants. i don't think there'll be a problem wearing these this summer. I like 'em.
Southern singular is y'all
Southern plural is "all y'all"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

rkcoker wrote:
HowHH wrote:I have a decent pair of overpants with knee armor and hip pads. Mesh outer shell with a removable wind-rain liner. I've been wearing them so much lately while riding this winter that I feel somewhat naked without them on.

I ordered the pants and shirt and got them on Saturday the 10th. They are comfortable. I'm 5'9" and 230#, the large pants and extra large shirt fit just great. Today the 12th I wore the pants under jeans and am able to work without having take off the pants. i don't think there'll be a problem wearing these this summer. I like 'em.
I can't imagine wearing anything like that under jeans when riding in TX in the summer.

The price on these is really nice, though. I'll have to look into a pair!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

rkcoker wrote:I ordered the pants and shirt and got them on Saturday the 10th. They are comfortable. I'm 5'9" and 230#, the large pants and extra large shirt fit just great. Today the 12th I wore the pants under jeans and am able to work without having take off the pants. i don't think there'll be a problem wearing these this summer. I like 'em.
Good feedback. I was interested in them for day rides, but hadn't considered commuting in them. I'd be concerned they'd get a little funky with daily wear under clothing. Although given their intended use I would hope they launder OK.
rkcoker

Post by rkcoker »

HowHH wrote:
rkcoker wrote:I ordered the pants and shirt and got them on Saturday the 10th. They are comfortable. I'm 5'9" and 230#, the large pants and extra large shirt fit just great. Today the 12th I wore the pants under jeans and am able to work without having take off the pants. i don't think there'll be a problem wearing these this summer. I like 'em.
Good feedback. I was interested in them for day rides, but hadn't considered commuting in them. I'd be concerned they'd get a little funky with daily wear under clothing. Although given their intended use I would hope they launder OK.
I forgot to even consider if the pads need to removed before laundry. Thanks for reminding me. :fp:
Southern singular is y'all
Southern plural is "all y'all"
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

Lostmycage wrote:Here's an option that I was recently exposed to. They're sort of "half chaps" but they're the more important half. They call them :arrow: Spats for some reason or another. Very neat concept, very reasonable price (assuming the armor holds up). No protection at all for the fleshy parts of the lower half, but it's got some protection for the boned (or "hurty" parts).
Now these I might look into! They look fairly comfortable and handy.. and I would be comfortable wearing them on either the scooter or the harley. Nice!