Scooter dreams

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jprestonian

Scooter dreams

Post by jprestonian »

I mean, "dreams you have about scooting."

I seem to have two vague ones that recur. The first includes me going somewhere on the scooter, and ending up driving a car somewhere else. I get this vague unease about how I'm going to get the scooter home, since I'm now driving a car.

The other one is fairly recent, but I've had it twice in the last week or so. I'm riding along, and the road becomes a progressively narrower ledge, which is hard to navigate.

Have you got any to share?
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

be right back getting my carl jung book
Riding is riding
tbonestone

Post by tbonestone »

Do nightmares count? Stella had motor troubles in real life. My dream was a lift i n the ER she flat lined and bled out 2t all over me!
Mutt the Hoople

Post by Mutt the Hoople »

Egads... My car driving dreams are nightmares but my scooter dreams are happy.

My dream was that I was tooling around in the springtime in the Central West End on a little red scooter, stop for a cappuccino, get back on the scooter and continue and the Central West End morphs into Regents's Park and our cathedral turns in to St Pauls. I don't know how I got to London but was happy about it. Go to Hammersmith, see that Mott the Hoople was playing and I go... Suddenly I was a bit younger and it was like the 21 century morphed into the early 70s and after the show I took the entire band for a ride and we ended up in Florence Italy drinking Campari and watching the sun set on the bridge. Don't ask how I got across the Atlantic, the Channel or the Alps on a scooter, with five passengers and me on one tank of gas.
But everyone was so happy and cheerful so it didn't matter.

So now I actually do have a little red scooter and I do tool around the Central West End and often stop for coffee. However, after my coffee it remains the Central West End and I come home to walk my dog.

No offense, but I like my dream better. :-)
96 Decibel Freaks
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

JHScoot wrote:be right back getting my carl jung book
Oh, to be Jung again!
TVB

Post by TVB »

Mutt the Hoople wrote:I don't know how I got to London but was happy about it.
Ride on the left! The left!
TVB

Post by TVB »

jprestonian wrote:Oh, to be Jung again!
And not a Freud!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Here's one I posted over 3 years ago:
ericalm wrote:I've had scootering dreams, but not any fun ones. Some involve getting chased or the scooter being stolen. One particularly vivid, nonsensical dream guest starring everybody I've ever met can be summed up like this:

Where is my scooter?
I am riding a scooter, but this is not my scooter.
Why did my brother give me this scooter? I don't like it.
There is my scooter. I will trade this one for mine.
No, this isn't actually my scooter either.
Where am I? Someone is doing something bad.
Hello, I totally had a crush on you in 10th grade. No, this is not my scooter but I am riding it.
Where is MY scooter?
…and so on…
I often dream about riding. Sometimes it's great, but I have recurring dreams about scooters falling to pieces as I'm riding them. They're not particularly scary, more like, "Huh. Hey. HEY! What's going on? Well, this is weird. How am I supposed to ride with our handlebars? There go the wheels! How is this still moving?"

For the most part, scooters and riding have worked their way into the same kinds of dreams I've always had. Ahhh, I'm falling off a cliff while being chased by gun-toting robot monkeys and I'm lost, didn't study for this final exam and ooh, scooter!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

Neat responses!

Most of my scooter dreaming is pretty normal, if you discount the scooter melting away, and me continuing down whatever road on my belly, frictionless, etc.

The two I mentioned I think harken to deeper meaning, since they recur and somewhat puzzle me, even though they don't rise to the level of "nightmare," IMO. Usually, nothing bad happens, but my thoughts in the dreams at least temporarily are to the "WTF?" end of the spectrum.
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

Had another, last night.

I was riding along some unfamiliar place. I crossed a railroad crossing, and turned into an open doorway. I was in a house! Next thing I know, I'm riding down a stairway in this house, blue carpet everywhere. I get to the bottom of the stairs, and see two French doors leading out to the street, but they're closed. Just then, two men carrying a large armchair the same color of the carpet come into view. The one speaks with a British accent, and says something like, "Well, YOU'RE in a bit of a spot." They set the chair down, and the one who spoke to me opens the door. I ride out, and off the blue-carpeted sidewalk into the street, and off I go.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

I don't think I've had a scooter dream yet. I say that because I tend to remember my dreams pretty vividly, but sometimes when I'm super tired my brain just does not care to hang on to anything I was dreaming about.
That being said, I have had several driving dreams, and only one was I ever in one of the cars that I have actually owned. It's always weird, because then I get into my car and forget where some of the controls and convenience buttons are, or what they do.
Syd

Post by Syd »

jprestonian wrote:Had another, last night.

I was riding along some unfamiliar place. I crossed a railroad crossing, and turned into an open doorway. I was in a house! Next thing I know, I'm riding down a stairway in this house, blue carpet everywhere. I get to the bottom of the stairs, and see two French doors leading out to the street, but they're closed. Just then, two men carrying a large armchair the same color of the carpet come into view. The one speaks with a British accent, and says something like, "Well, YOU'RE in a bit of a spot." They set the chair down, and the one who spoke to me opens the door. I ride out, and off the blue-carpeted sidewalk into the street, and off I go.
Sure you're not just falling asleep watching the BBC?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I'm glad to know that my dreams are the only ones that don't make sense.

I'd rather just sleep.

Oh, and my high school lit teacher always told me that puns are the lowest form of humor.

But those were pretty good. :D
TVB

Post by TVB »

Southerner wrote:Oh, and my high school lit teacher always told me that puns are the lowest form of humor.
Your high school lit teacher was just jealous that other people were funnier. :clown: Wordplay such as puns require a fairly high level of cognitive function to appreciate, and even higher to produce. If you want to look down on a form of humor, try slapstick and excretory/genital humor. Or put them together and you have blow-to-the-groin gags. Puns are way smarter than America's Funniest Home Videos.
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

For the last few years, after particularly "bad" days (trauma, drama, stress, mess, etc., etc.), some unseen Program Director of the Unconscious always sets-up a themed nocturnal Cannes of the Mind for me: scoots, and mostly "ratbikes", masses of them, 2-stroke beaters, heavily-stickered, wrapped headers and pipes, rattlecanned, dented, rusted, but all in wonderful tune. Scooterists; greasy jeans, grimy hands, en masse, wrenching, revving, talking; the air thick with blue smoke. No plot, no conflict, no dread.

What a gift it is...and from someone who really cares about me :mrgreen:
honi soit qui mal y pense
Mutt the Hoople

Post by Mutt the Hoople »

Oh gawd.... The "I have an exam in third year trigonometry but I'm at art major and don't even remember signing up for the course or going to that class and my life will be forever ruined if I flunk" dream. And it's always high school. I still have that one. I wake up in a cold sweat like life as I know it is about to end then remember I actually have two degrees. What would make a lot more sense would be a dream about life being totally effed up because I don't have a full-time job.

I have had horrible dreams involving cars but my scooter dreams are happy.

I did stay on the left btw, and minded the gap. It's the change of priorities that I find difficult.
96 Decibel Freaks
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

The only scooter dreams I have are about finding GSes and TV175s in barns. Which says a lot about me, actually, I'm a cheapskate, a hoarder and not much of a rider.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
TVB

Post by TVB »

I had a dream last night that I vaguely remember involving me trying to rescue Gillian Anderson from a throng of people in a crowded room... on my scooter. Which actually makes a bit of sense, for reasons that are too complicated to explain. :)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

TVB wrote:I had a dream last night that I vaguely remember involving me trying to rescue Gillian Anderson from a throng of people in a crowded room... on my scooter. Which actually makes a bit of sense, for reasons that are too complicated to explain. :)
Was she calling you Mulder? Because then it makes sense.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Or maybe you just got a thing for her.

I never watched X-Files so I don't get it.
TVB

Post by TVB »

OK, short version: We went to the same high school, and were in a play together. She made some comments about those days in a recent interview that got the gossip mill running, and because I'd commented online about how I barely knew her back then, I've had to brush off a few "journalists" digging for dirt, including one from a London tabloid who came to my front door over the weekend.

Anyway, enough about that. We were talking about people's scooter dreams....
viney266

Post by viney266 »

No scooter dreams yet. Maybe in a tent at one of the rallies this summer; we will see.

I can see it being gun-toting robot monkeys though. LOL
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Tam Tam

2 of note!

Post by Tam Tam »

The most recent? my gal & I on my stella (only it was black, not red) and she was holding a takeout pizza in the box as we sped to meet friends somewhere...BUT
My stress scooter dream was fun! Me and the red stella are on some kinda campus, and I've just been charged with taking a baby in a car carrier somewhere - and I'm looking at the scooter thinking "How the h#ll am I gonna put a baby on this thing?"
"When you're racing, that's when you're really alive. Everything else...everything...just becomes waiting to race." - Steve McQueen
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

A few days ago: I'm ordering parts, looking them up on the computer with the mechanic (Greasy) and he asks, "Oh, hey, you need a liver?" I say that I do. We look it up and get the price. I say, "Wow! That's like half the price of livers everywhere else!"

We actually were looking up parts for my project last week. Livers are not on the list.
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

ericalm wrote:A few days ago: I'm ordering parts, looking them up on the computer with the mechanic (Greasy) and he asks, "Oh, hey, you need a liver?" I say that I do. We look it up and get the price. I say, "Wow! That's like half the price of livers everywhere else!"
How's the drinking? ;)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jprestonian wrote:
ericalm wrote:A few days ago: I'm ordering parts, looking them up on the computer with the mechanic (Greasy) and he asks, "Oh, hey, you need a liver?" I say that I do. We look it up and get the price. I say, "Wow! That's like half the price of livers everywhere else!"
How's the drinking? ;)
AWESOME!
TVB

Re: 2 of note!

Post by TVB »

Tam Tam wrote:My stress scooter dream was fun! Me and the red stella are on some kinda campus, and I've just been charged with taking a baby in a car carrier somewhere - and I'm looking at the scooter thinking "How the h#ll am I gonna put a baby on this thing?"
That's what front racks are for.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

:) Sometime I'd like to bungee a baby seat to my front rack and drive it around town for a while, just to see the looks of horror.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

Had another one, last night.

I was with a total stranger, who just bought his first scooter (and it was a big one). We rode from the dealer down an interstate without helmets, and making some pretty risky moves, cutting across lanes, etc. I was pretty anxious about not having my helmet (where was it?), but I was enjoying the ride, for sure.

We ended up at a bar, having good beer and an employee's birthday cake.

How do I do this? I use the voice recorder on my smartphone, and jabber into it incoherently as I wake up. :)
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

I've had some where my scooter performed like a sportbike and some where it couldn't even get above 5mph.
Prefer the sportbike style dreams.
TVB

Post by TVB »

jprestonian wrote:I was with a total stranger, who just bought his first scooter (and it was a big one).
Isn't it always, in dreams? :)
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

i had a dream the other night where i was riding a Tron-like scooter . . . and it changed into a JACKET when i was done riding!!! how cool would that be?!?!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

black sunshine wrote:i had a dream the other night where i was riding a Tron-like scooter . . . and it changed into a JACKET when i was done riding!!! how cool would that be?!?!
Not exactly a "jacket," but…

Tam Tam

lol

Post by Tam Tam »

[quote="PeteH"]:) Sometime I'd like to bungee a baby seat to my front rack and drive it around town for a while, just to see the looks of horror.[/quote

Damn, dude - I've GOT to ride with you someday!
"When you're racing, that's when you're really alive. Everything else...everything...just becomes waiting to race." - Steve McQueen
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

Another one, from last night!

I'm riding along with a couple of other folx, and suddenly, my scooter breaks in half. How I continue for another 50 yards, upright and seated without a seat, I don't know, but I look behind me and see everything but the front wheel, fender, cowl and headset in the road, sideways, behind me. I walk back to the other half of the bike, headset in my hands, and my riding partners have all gathered around. I start taking off body panels, trying to figure out how this could have happened. Somehow, I put it all back together, and one of the other riders offers to go get their car and to give me a ride home. "No, I think it's okay, now." HA! Weird.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

I think you can thank Ericalm for that one! :P
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Future bodge!
Attachments
bodge.jpg
bodge.jpg (101.98 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

Quick get the ducktape!
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

Last night I dreamt that I was finally riding a Stella. But trying to get the hang of shifting was too much and it'd either stall or just putter along. Rare that I dream about something so specific.

//Really wanted to trade up to the two-tone avocado Stella last month but my dealer suggested I hold off since I've never done a manual transmission. How am I supposed to learn otherwise?!
"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"

still shifting

Post by still shifting »

I have frustraiting dreams of shifting an automatic scoot, looking for a foot brake, not being clear about the vehicle I am on... These vehicles are generally blue and small like a small frame...? R
SoCalScooter

Post by SoCalScooter »

I had two dreams about accidents last week... the first was riding my scoot to work, and driving off the road into some bushes (kind of random)...

In the second I was driving a motorcycle (rebel-esque) through Chicago with NO gear on... all traffic on the street was pedestrians, and I could not out accelerate the pedestrian traffic. When I did finally get out from behind a particularly slow walker, I hit a patch of something and took a high side fall into a face plant with the bike landing on top of me. (REALLY random)

I think the take-away from these dreams would be 1. Pay attention, and 2. Be patient! (also don't ride a bike on the sidewalk!) While I have yet to drive off the road, I do find myself getting impatient or irritated.
SoCalScooter

Post by SoCalScooter »

ericalm wrote:
black sunshine wrote:i had a dream the other night where i was riding a Tron-like scooter . . . and it changed into a JACKET when i was done riding!!! how cool would that be?!?!
Not exactly a "jacket," but…

I would LOVE a Cyclone and a Gallant H-90. If only I could find a reliable source for protoculture. I would pass if I had to deal with Lunk and Annie as my mechanics though.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

I had one a while back in which I was trying to figure a way to carry several 2x4x8s on my MP3, plus I think there might have been a sheet or two of plywood and broken down cardboard moving boxes.

Not sure where that dream came from, but I think I finally gave up on trying to carry it all.

Another dream I had--a couple nights ago--was that I was going very slow (on one of my Buddys), went over a wide low speed bump, but made a left too soon (while actually going over the bump) and knew I was going to fall to the left. I woke myself up before I actually fell though.

A different dream a few weeks ago, was just about riding. Nothing unusual in that one that I can remember.

Funny...I can't remember having any of these dreams until I saw this thread.... :yawn:
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

michelle_7728 wrote:Funny...I can't remember having any of these dreams until I saw this thread...
Well, that's a big reason why I started it. I have noticed that I dream about riding a lot, really, but that's no big surprise. I've just talked about my more memorable dreams about it, as most times, I'm just riding from one place to another, and nothing that exceptional happens.

I wanted to hear about others who were having some unusual scooting dreams.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

tbonestone wrote:Do nightmares count? Stella had motor troubles in real life. My dream was a lift i n the ER she flat lined and bled out 2t all over me!
Had you recently watched A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3fBK6LbCc
Using the internet for evil since 1994.