Did You Even Have A Winter?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JHScoot

Did You Even Have A Winter?

Post by JHScoot »

Did you? What's up with that?

I am new to scootering and have only suffered two winters here in freezing Los Angeles where temps can hit as low as 50F overnight sometimes. Burrr...

However I recall LAST winter (2010 / 2011) it was like the ice age for a lot of you! Things were freezing, falling off, things were getting stored and fuel stabilizers and renting storage spaces and all manner of igloo building was going on. It was like every other thread was "THIS DAMN WINTER!!!"

Not so much this season. So were you guys out riding, or what? Or, did you actually miss winter? Some people I would think like snow? But come now....what would you rather have, snow or scooting?

Skiers don't count :P
Riding is riding
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

ic it is snowing some places. it seems late it is April!
Riding is riding
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

We've had zero winter here in Atlanta; some rain on occasion and I think at one point back in December we were actually in the 30s for few days but it's been a pollen-fest and that's about it. I've only had to go maybe a total of a week and a half of no scooting due to weather and mostly that was rain-related.

86 yesterday for the high; hope that the rumors of a mild summer hold true because this city can be unbearable when it's hot.
"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"

TVB

Post by TVB »

I've been referring to this past winter saying That Was The Winter That Wasn't, or "(TW)3".

Sure we had snow, sometimes heavy, and there were stretches of a couple weeks at a time when no sane person would attempt to ride a scooter (just my neighbor). But it kept melting, the roads would get clear, and I'd be able to resume scooting. According to the National Weather Service, this past March was our 10th warmest April on record.

As much as I've enjoyed it, I hope we get a real winter next year. Not that this weather would be an example of global warming per se (that refers to small average increases) but a side effect of that could be permanent changes in weather patterns, and no one needs that.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

50f overnight? Oh noes!

My coldest ride to date was 7f :P.

But yeah, we had it pretty mild too. Today and maybe tomorrow we're getting some snow, but by tomorrow night it will all be gone. I can suffer through a couple trips of being dropped off at work.
scubadoobie

Post by scubadoobie »

While last year's winter was much harsher than usual, this year has been very mild even by Houston standards. We are already routinely hitting mid-80s in the afternoons...bad omen for summer! :sigh:
Scooting is good for the soul....

siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Some of us ride in the snow. It's the damn heat I can't take. Once it's up in the 90s with high humidity, I'm not a happy rider.

AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

It has been extremely mild here in NY.
I did have my scoot put away for the winter though, because without winter/heated gear coming home from work in 28* (and lower) temps got to be too much for me. Now that our low temps are mostly in the low 40s I'm all good and happily scooting all over the place.
Two weeks ago (yes, in the middle of MARCH in NY) we actually had two days that were almost 80*, it was gorgeous... most of last month was pretty steadily "record setting high" days. Now we're getting closer to summer and it's cooler :? I'm just happy there isn't still snow on the ground.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

We also had a mild winter here as far as temperature, but the story doesn't stop there. We have had a very wet spring with March setting rainfall records, and we had snow on the ground more than once in the Portland area in the last month (somewhat unusual for that time of year). I had a good ride yesterday but I am looking forward to the great NW summer and fall (not too hot, not too cold, just right :wink: )
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Yeah, our winter was fairly mild, but spring has been kinda wet and two weeks ago, there were three inches of snow in my yard. I'd take this year's wet spring over last winter any time, though.
Dooglas wrote:I am looking forward to the great NW summer and fall (not too hot, not too cold, just right :wink: )
You and me both, Dooglas. Let's hope for a better summer than last year!
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

We had a really long harsh Fall.

That is, I would never call the last four months a proper Winter, but there was...some snow anyway...and a week, maybe even two or three, of serious COLD.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Well, it did snow today... R
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

snow in the great SW? no way! :(
Riding is riding
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

siobhan wrote:Some of us ride in the snow. It's the damn heat I can't take. Once it's up in the 90s with high humidity, I'm not a happy rider.

thats a badass photo. love the ADV flag
Riding is riding
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

We had a pretty mild winter, I think most of us up and down the East Coast/ Mid Atlantic did.

Let's see... it was late November/early December when I started riding again after I broke my hand. Those days were usually 50s or 60s during the day, 30s or 40s at night... until around the turn of the year. When the year turned, I remember a good week or so where it was just 30s and 20s straight. There was no weather except a day or two of rain here and there, and it was WINDY, with some days of heavy fog in the early morning on my way to work.

By the middle of January it was starting to warm up again and we couldn't believe it. The day of my crash, January 27th, it was 75 out during the day- I left the quilted liner to my jacket at home and wore some lighter cargo pants instead of jeans. (IOW: the month or so I was riding again was the coldest part of the winter- GO FIGURE)

Most of the rest of the spring has been like that. We had another small cold snap in February- one weekend it snowed, but didn't stick. I remember looking at the snowflakes falling through the hospital window. It snowed once more when I was in rehab, too, in March. But for the most part, it's been unseasonably warm here, if only by a mere ten degrees. Things have bloomed and sprouted early. It makes me wonder if we're going to have a really hot and humid summer :shock:
viney266

Post by viney266 »

^^ Yes, same as Luna. Coupla' cold weekend. about 2 weeks of REAL cold weather and that was it. My son hardly got to use his new sled . Not much of a winter around here.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?