My First Buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

doscoot59

My First Buddy

Post by doscoot59 »

I've been looking for a used Buddy now for several months. Have "just missed" several of them. Now I'm on the verge of buying a Buddy 125, 2009 w/ about 5700 mi. She's asking 1500.00, will take 1400.00. I'm so anxious to get one that I'm afraid I may make a dumb move, I haven't seen the scoot in person yet, only pics, but it's obviously been laid down, on both sides. Some not too bad scratches on a couple body panels, but a cracked/broken lens on one of the front lower lights and the rim around the headlight is badly scarred. Also looks like there's a crack in the left side of the floorboard near one of the scarred areas. Need some advice on whether I should even be considering this purchase!
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Hmm....don't be too anxious for this one imo. Ask about servicing. It should have had one at around 4,000m. Scoot will need CVT service in another 2500-4500 miles. At least an inspection at 8000m to check the belt. The rear tire should have been replaced already. If not it needs it most likely

What do you say fellow MB members? Assuming all that is true and all of what he knows about this....4 year old scoot is accurate?

I say take $1000 cash in hand. Make a $1000 offer. Walk away and wait for a clean Buddy for just a bit more then the $1400 she is asking if she denies the offer.
Riding is riding
juls64

Post by juls64 »

I think that sounds high for the damage and wear you describe. I paid 1900 + tax, title, etc. for a 2009 125 but with only 165 miles and no observable damage whatsoever. That included windshield, racks, and other stuff. Just my opinion, but I would do like JH suggested and offer way less.....or else wait.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Yeah. And after going over the post again....a crack in the floorboard. Depending on the severity of what is described it could be a complete pass.

But if not as bad as it seems in person it could turn into a pretty good deal. This is a "bargain" scoot imo. Or at least it sounds. If taking a look and your in person impression is as ours is here, offer as little as you think you can.

Not being cheap, but fair is fair. And I know $1400 for this scoot is high. This a a "buyers" market scoot. It has nearly 6000m and damage. So at $1400, no way.

Depending on its mechanical condition and other variables you may be able to get it for $900, even. Hard to say without seeing it. But be ready to invest some after sale monies into it if truly a 2009, $900 Buddy 125.

I would expect near pristine mechanical condition with indications of service for $1000-$1100 for this scooter, based on what has been described.

Just my opinion, and speaking for myself.
Last edited by JHScoot on Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riding is riding
huskerchic

Post by huskerchic »

Not sure how far you are away from here, but this looks like a better deal! http://enid.craigslist.org/mcy/2904785431.html
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

^ No brainer all things being equal. Nice scooter. Make sure battery is good, carb is clean, etc.

Just saying as mileage is low for 2006. Otherwise that's a good thing. Original tires may need changing, though. Old rubber is not good on the road. Belt could be old, too.

$1200. I drive a hard one but this will need some looking at concerning the belt and tires if never touched. And maybe a few other things?

EDIT: Ok maybe $1500 if PERFECT cosmetically with $400 to invest after sale. Unless a DIY'er? Which TS sounds not. So, it's $1900 lets assume.

Still "worth it?"
Riding is riding
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

The one Huskerchic posted is definitely the better deal if it's anywhere near you. If not, then I'd say the price for the damaged one is too high. Offer no more than $1,000 and be prepared to walk. My scooter had similar damage when I bought it, except for the cracked floorboard. That's a bit worrisome. I wonder what kind of accident it would have to be in to get a cracked floor board? Anyhow, mine, a 150 with 1k miles on it at the time, was being advertised for $1,700. I watched it for a couple of weeks and when it didn't move, I knew I had an opportunity. I offered him $1,200 and he countered $1,350, which I accepted. I will tell you, from my experience with mine, that every panel on there is probably damaged in some way. I slowly repaired mine fixing the most ugly damage first (headlight ring) and most of the rest later on when I found some used plastics on this board. So it it's not damaged in some fatal way (bent frame) and it's mechanically sound, and you can talk her down to $1k, then it's probably a decent deal.
doscoot59

My First Buddy

Post by doscoot59 »

Took a look at the scooter in person finally. What I thought was a crack in the floor board wasn't there after all, don't know what I was seeing in the pic. It looked much better "in person" than it had in the pics. I probably paid a little too much, but I looked at it and fell in love..lol. Other than the scarred headlight ring and the broken lens mentioned in my first post, the rest was minor and my son, who went with me to look and help mom out :-) said he could repair the various scratches, no problem. Previous owner had recs of regular oil changes, etc., and I thought she might actually cry when she signed the title over to me. Anyway, this thing is wicked fun to ride!
Wish me luck with it. :)
skully93

Post by skully93 »

if it's just plastics, that is cheap and easy to fix. Ironically the headlight rim is like $25 that I could find, but meh. ride it around for the summer and if you want to fix it up, that's you winter project!
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Boy, sounds much better then initially thought. And in good mechanical shape, too? Congrats and enjoy the ride! :clap:
Riding is riding
miah

Post by miah »

I just purchased a 2006 Buddy with a similar-ish number of miles ($1300, 7900 miles). I'd say they are asking a bit much. This might be specific to locality; here in Denver there have been quite a few postings of decent Buddys in the $1500 range that were perfectly clean and advertised "starts every time".

I've purchased a few used bikes in the past of varying quality. I bought one with every intention of fixing it up only to let it roil in the garage for six months until I schlepped it off on the next person who had grand ideas for it. Ask yourself if you really want to fix something, or if you could wait and maybe spend a bit more to get something you are excited about. Cosmetically and mechanically everything can be replaced on these scooters.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Congrats! It sounds pretty much like the condition mine was in when I bought it. Mine has served me well for 2.5 years so far and I suspect yours will be the same. I'd suggest replacing that headlight ring as a first step towards fixing it up. As mentioned above, it's only $25. It will make a world of difference in how the scoot looks and you'll like that.