Anyone else have trouble with rear rack install?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

michelle_7728

Anyone else have trouble with rear rack install?

Post by michelle_7728 »

I've had 3 Buddy 125s now (one 2008 and two 2009s).

I currently have a black rear rack (with my "platform" mounted to it) and a chrome rear rack (with my top case's base mounted to it), pictured below.

On my first two Buddy's, one was a 2008 and one a 2009 (I still have the 2009), I easily swapped between the black rear rack and the chrome rear rack. However my "new" 2009 Buddy 125 will only accept the black rack. When ever I try to put the chrome one on there (so I can use my new black top case on it) the rear bolt hits the very front of the slot that has to slide over it, and there's no way I can get it on.

I've tried every which way, but it's no go. And after seeing ed85379's post about where his supporting piece broke, I don't necessarily think that trying to tilt that bolt back is the answer.

Has anyone else had an issue with the back hole not fitting when mounting a chrome rack, and what did you do to resolve it? Seems to me that there are limited options here, and I'm not liking either of them (tilting the bolt back, or filing the hole on the chrome rack bigger).

The third option might be to just buy another black rack and mount the topcase base on that then sell my chrome one.... :roll:
Attachments
**** Disregard the circle and comments under the left picture--I used this picture for something else before. *****
**** Disregard the circle and comments under the left picture--I used this picture for something else before. *****
Platform and top case mount.jpg (192.11 KiB) Viewed 342 times
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
scubadoobie

Post by scubadoobie »

The dealer installed my chrome rack and he had a hard time, too. I wasn't watching the whole time ("window shopping" other scooters), so don't know exactly what he did, but he was cussin' a lot and finally got it installed. :)
Scooting is good for the soul....

rfman81

Post by rfman81 »

I had a really hard time with mine. It took a bunch of muscle and about and hours worth of time and me buying a new bolt to get it one because things were not lining up right.
theflash784

Anyone else have trouble with rear rack install

Post by theflash784 »

I had my rear rack put on when I bought my Buddy. I did get a crowl protector set with the foot pegs. My son and I took off the rack to put on the crowl protectors and then put the rack back on. We didn't have a problem with that but we could not get the foot pegs to line up. We ended up having to leave them off.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

I have the black rack and definitely had to wrestle with it to get it on. It didn't line up right. I think the issue is that these racks are not made to exacting standards, so each one is slightly different. Some of them will pop right on, others won't line up no matter what you try. I guess you have to decide if the one you have can be muscled into place, or if you should try exchanging it for a different one because it'll never go on without breaking or altering something.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

pdxrita wrote:I have the black rack and definitely had to wrestle with it to get it on. It didn't line up right. I think the issue is that these racks are not made to exacting standards, so each one is slightly different. Some of them will pop right on, others won't line up no matter what you try. I guess you have to decide if the one you have can be muscled into place, or if you should try exchanging it for a different one because it'll never go on without breaking or altering something.
I hear you, but that is only partially the case here, as the chrome rack fits on my other Buddy (a 2009) and the one I sold (a 2008) with no strain or pain. This is definitely an issue with my new 2009 not having the back bolt lined up in the right place. My black rack fits right on there with no issues. The rear bolt barely touches the front of the hole (the other Buddy's bolt is centered in the hole), but it fits (the black rack).

Hmmm. Maybe it's a matter of my taking both back fenders off, loosening the bracket holding the back bolt, rotating it back just a fraction, then retightening the bracket and reinstalling the fenders.

Has anyone taken this approach and can tell me what I'm in for time/effort wise? I would hope it wouldn't take more than an hour or two...if it's doable that is. It LOOKS like it would work...looking at the thread referenced in my original post...
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I know I had to 'grunt' my rack into place when I first installed it. If memory serves, I slipped it on the middle back bolt first then proceeded work the sides in. I got one bolt in 1 or 2 threads, then the other, and proceeded to alternate forth and back working it in that way......
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I grabbed a file and made some " adjustments" to the middle hole. I did it by hand since I had nothing methanical that could do that. It worked though so that is all that matters. I made sure to note the direction in which to file. Using brute force was not an option in my case and I kind of worry about doing that especially with the rack because if it is already strained, with the portholes we have on the road - I don't know if it would hold up and what would happen if it came off.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

michelle_7728 wrote: Hmmm. Maybe it's a matter of my taking both back fenders off, loosening the bracket holding the back bolt, rotating it back just a fraction, then retightening the bracket and reinstalling the fenders.

Has anyone taken this approach and can tell me what I'm in for time/effort wise? I would hope it wouldn't take more than an hour or two...if it's doable that is. It LOOKS like it would work...looking at the thread referenced in my original post...
I think this is a great idea if you've got the time and inclination to do it. You can take it apart, loosen it up, and install the rack without the plastics to line it up. After that, just tighten it back up, and put it back together and it should work.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

That may be the way to go then. :)

Stormswift: Which rack do you have that you filed on--a black or a chrome one? Just curious...
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

michelle_7728 wrote:That may be the way to go then. :)

Stormswift: Which rack do you have that you filed on--a black or a chrome one? Just curious...
I have chrome
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur