Questions & attention from motorists about your scooters

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

un_designer

Questions & attention from motorists about your scooters

Post by un_designer »

I've gotten pretty much all positive reactions from motorists, maybe because I always have a huge grin while riding it. Most of the time people are curious about how much it costs, how many mpg it gets, how much power it has, how fast can it go... etc. Pretty basic stuff.

Last year I took some paperwork in for a shred-a-thon on the scoote, and the TV newscrew wasted no time at all putting me on camera because I guess it must make a good story or something.

What kind(s) of attentions, good or bad, have you gotten while riding your scooter?
» Current: 2006 Saabaru 9-2x Aero, 2006 Scion xB, Original '07 Series Italia, 2003 Marin Highway One
» Departed: 2004 Subaru WRX, 1999 1/2 VW GTI
KABarash

Re: Questions & attention from motorists about your scoo

Post by KABarash »

un_designer wrote:Most of the time people are curious about how much it costs, how many mpg it gets, how much power it has, how fast can it go... etc. Pretty basic stuff.
Especially while 'gassing up'
How many MPGs? "I donno, I fuel up when I need to, uses so little why keep track?"
How much power? "I donno, it hauls me around no problem"
How fast can it go? "As fast as I need to!" Alternate answer: "As fast as the law allows on every road in the state"
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

I know some riders have made up little pocket size cards to hand out to the curious.I thought that was clever.We dont always have time to stop and answer lots of questions you know.
Aerosmith, None Other.
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

Usually someone asking "Is that a Vespa" the same way someone in Roswell might've said "Is that one of those UFOs we've been hearing about?"
"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"

scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

Had a guy in a big ass Chevy truck say "pretty nice moped you got there"
So I told him that I like his Ford truck.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

un_designer wrote:...

Last year I took some paperwork in for a shred-a-thon on the scoote, and the TV newscrew wasted no time at all putting me on camera because I guess it must make a good story or something.
Hey, I saw a Buddy on the news at the Shred-A-Thon last year!
Were you riding 2-up with black half-helmets on?
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
TVB

Post by TVB »

scootavaran wrote:Had a guy in a big ass Chevy truck say "pretty nice moped you got there"
So the best way to respond to an innocent misunderstanding of terminology is to be rude to them?
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

TVB wrote:
scootavaran wrote:Had a guy in a big ass Chevy truck say "pretty nice moped you got there"
So the best way to respond to an innocent misunderstanding of terminology is to be rude to them?
*sigh* He was being sarcastic.

*Edit
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I always make time to tell them all about scooters if they are curious. I basically try to act as an ambassador for scooters. It might get more of the public to join our ranks, and that can only be a good thing.
tenshi

Post by tenshi »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My answer to how many mpg?
About 200, give or take a couple of miles.

My answer to how fast does it go?
About 100mph.

My answer to how much was it?
I got mine for a hundred dollars at (insert local Harley dealership here).
TVB

Post by TVB »

scootavaran wrote:
TVB wrote:

*Edit
OK, then maybe being an asshole in response was justified. Otherwise... I just don't get it.

This evening as I was trying to decide whether 20% off on ground lamb was worth buying some for the freezer, a "retail associate" noticed my armored jacket and started asking me about my "bike". He was a bit confused about the difference between a scooter and a motorcycle or a moped, but I tried to explain. A little annoying to have to take a minute and a half out of my day, but it's part of being someone who lives outside of the mainstream.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

I can't help but laugh at that. And I know truck owners that would pick up on it and laugh.

I take the time to explain the scooter/moped difference, and how my 170i was technically a motorcycle under VA law and had basically the same capabilities as a small MC... if the person seemed interested enough and had the time to listen.

Otherwise I left it at 'bike', it was easier; seemed kind of universal to the two-wheeled world.

During the summer I have people yell or hang out their windows to ask me for statistics, college girls squeal "OMG SCOOTERS!!!!", people say "Nice Vespas" when we exited restaurants (which to me was the most laughable, because Buddy and Stella parked beside each other... you really wouldn't think looking at them that they are made by the same company, they look totally different, so how could they BOTH be Vespas?) Some people at checkouts, usually cashiers making conversation, would notice the helmets and ask what we rode and then end up asking more questions about our scoots; the conversation would turn to "You know, I think about getting one of those sometimes..." and then end in a verbal recommendation to Scoot Richmond. One time, while picking up a Rx at a pharmacy, I had this old lady ninja appear out of nowhere before I really had time to get off the scoot and unbuckle my helmet, and start asking me semi-legit questions about it, like how many cc's and if that meant it was registered as a motorcycle.

One of my regulars at work was a retired helicopter pilot, that only rides a bike now. STOKED by the idea of a scooter, but was scared to death for me because it was my only transportation... every time he came it he would talk to me excitedly about it and ask me how it was doing :)
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

BuddyLicious wrote:I know some riders have made up little pocket size cards to hand out to the curious.I thought that was clever.We dont always have time to stop and answer lots of questions you know.
Nice idea!

I don't mind talking to folks about my scooter (enjoy it, actually), but I always figure they are going to forget half of what I say once they walk away. That way they would have something to remind them, and maybe follow up on later! And a bunch of rubberbanded business size cards wouldn't take up much room in the pet carrier. :D
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
jonesygirl

Post by jonesygirl »

LunaP wrote: One time, while picking up a Rx at a pharmacy, I had this old lady ninja appear out of nowhere...
That really made me LOL :rofl:
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

I was riding around the other night after coffee and some ladies were checking it all out, big time. I thought 'yeah I'm sexy on this scoot, ladies. Check it all out!'

Then I snapped back to reality and realized I was wearing a FF helmet and unless diamonds had fallen out of my pocket beneath me, they were looking at those cute 'lil red wheels :cry:
Riding is riding
TelPerian

Post by TelPerian »

No specific questions about Chrometheus yet. But some of the comments I've gotten:

When wearing my bright yellow reflective jacket:
"You look ready to ride at night too!"
"You look....safe."
"It's screaming: please don't hit me!"

I keep my keys on a carabiner and usually clip that to my pants belt loop during the day. My jacket is a bit longer than my waist so when I walked into Chipotle with my helmet and jacket on, I clipped my keys to my jacket. The cashier asked if I was a rock climber. When I told her I had a scooter she seemed satisfied with my answer and more embarrassed that she asked about rock climbing instead.
Raiderfn311

Post by Raiderfn311 »

TVB wrote:
scootavaran wrote:
TVB wrote: So the best way to respond to an innocent misunderstanding of terminology is to be rude to them?

*Edit
OK, then maybe being an asshole in response was justified. Otherwise... I just don't get it.

This evening as I was trying to decide whether 20% off on ground lamb was worth buying some for the freezer, a "retail associate" noticed my armored jacket and started asking me about my "bike". He was a bit confused about the difference between a scooter and a motorcycle or a moped, but I tried to explain. A little annoying to have to take a minute and a half out of my day, but it's part of being someone who lives outside of the mainstream.
Im not sure I would describe his remark in that light.(being an asshole) Sarcastic yes. Assholish, meh.I guess if someone is sensitive enough, they can take the smallest thing as a huge insult.
The Edge....there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who truly know where it is have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson
Collette

Post by Collette »

I get the usual mpg questions and how much it costs just about daily..

But the standard question is "Arent you scared to ride on the streets?" is that a woman only question or do you guys get that too?

And the answer is hell no ! I ride 45 mph the speed limit, and if anyone wants to speed they usually go around me. Then I explain to them that the ones who are in a rush usually go around me, and we end up at the red light together. Theres no need to speed around a scooter and its just not very logical. Usually they agree and I think to myself another driver that will help look out for two wheelers.
If you want to know where a road leads, ask someone on their way back.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

I think some speed around scooters because they assume they are slow, can't get up to speed, and even if so can't maintain it. I usually go a bit faster then the speed limit. I get a kick when I can feel the car next to me trying to pass. 45mph....50 mph...55mph...hey give up! Unless you want to go 65mph in a 40mph zone to pass a little scooter.

They usually give up :)

I used to go around scoots and cycles in a car not because I felt held up by them but because it made me nervous to be behind them. Couldn't forgive myself if one took a tumble and I ran over a rider or rear ended a bike. I just did not like being behind them.

Posting from Farmers Market atm. Traffic is somewhat light but picking up. I will soon be in it :D
Riding is riding
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

Collette wrote:I get the usual mpg questions and how much it costs just about daily..

But the standard question is "Arent you scared to ride on the streets?" is that a woman only question or do you guys get that too?
I'll get that on occasion; I usually ask if they're planning on running over a scooterist or if there's something they want to confess.
"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"

Tom

Post by Tom »

TVB wrote:
Rude? I'd say that's a compliment. :lol:
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Tom wrote:
TVB wrote:
Considering the average person on the street thinks scooters are playtoys and, in America, acceptance of riding a scooter is most often equated to sleeping with a fat chick, I would say rude comments are par for the course. The assumption that someone is genuinely looking for information about a scooter shouldn't be confuse the the actual average motive of "morbid" curiosity and/or ridicule.

Besides, asking someone on a scooter if they get "good" gas mileage is pretty much playing a captain obvious. In Arizona at least, most commenters keep asking after their initial question (or as their initial question) "So when are you getting a Harley/Couldn't afford a Harley huh?"

Yes, I am of the mindset that people suck in general.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

if I count the few times I got pushed to the side due to someone NOT slowing down when I was approaching a light or making a turn, as well as those who pass me unsafely before I can find a smooth area to pull over and let them by (lots of my riding is in farm country), and the one a-hole coming the other way who swerved to see if I would flinch...my interactions are NOT very good overall on a scooter;

I have had a few folks ask about my scoot in parking lots & at the gas pump...those were neutral to positive;

I always luv the looks I get when I go to park on a sidewalk in front of a K-Mart or WalMart...from bewildered to thumbs up :wink:
Tom

Post by Tom »

neotrotsky wrote:
Tom wrote:
TVB wrote: So the best way to respond to an innocent misunderstanding of terminology is to be rude to them?
The assumption that someone is genuinely looking for information about a scooter shouldn't be confuse the the actual average motive of "morbid" curiosity and/or ridicule.
Agreed. I enjoy talking to people about scooters if they are interested in them, but I don't feel the need to 'represent' a subculture, or make them like scooters if they don't. We aren't running for office here. I don't have a chip on my shoulder about the usual comments, because I basically don't care what folks think of my transportation. I'm not selling the product..

If someone in a car drives/talks like a jerk, I blame them not car drivers; likewise with scooterists, right? And I don't think that's a 'jerky' response at all, sarcasm can be playful as well as mean. Nobody knows enough about the conversation to judge it but those there.

I have a 'friend' (who I hardly know) at the coffee shop on a harley (Old long hair biker type)- he always jokes on my bike all the time, and we've become friends because I joke back on his. First thing he ever said to me was the typical "fat chick" joke, but later I saw him pulling out of a parking spot big old three point turn and I stopped and laughed and told him my tercel had a better turning radius, lol. Nowadays, when I pull up to the coffee shop, I look for where he's parked and park in the same spot, he does the same. We drink our coffee together and talk about rides/ talk shit too, lol. If I see him outside I slow down as I pass him and rev the Stella as loud as she'll go, and he gets a kick out of that. He honestly thinks my bike is a waste of time and I feel the same about his. But who cares? Neither of us do.. Get past all that, and people are pretty cool in general!

I'm not trying to be argumentative with any of this, just another perspective.
TVB

Post by TVB »

neotrotsky wrote:Yes, I am of the mindset that people suck in general.
Yeah, that comes through pretty clearly. Maybe they're picking up on that.

Most of the comments/questions I get are either idle curiosity or people trying to be friendly (and occasionally someone seriously looking for information and I look like I know the answer). If you're taking offense at people asking the obvious, like if you get good gas mileage, then you must find it maddening when someone talks to you about the weather. :roll:

Or maybe they really are trying to be jerks to you. But I don't see how being assholish* to them just in case helps any. Except maybe to help you feel better about yourself.

*or "sarcastic" ,which translates as "assholish without the courage"
Last edited by TVB on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mutt the Hoople

Post by Mutt the Hoople »

Most of the comments that I have gotten have been positive. I was at a long red light on Lindell in the CWE and I felt a tap on my shoulder and I turn to see a womn older than me asking about my scooter. I pulled over and asked her what she wanted to know and she was full of questions. She lives in the area and was curious as she thought it might be a viable and fun mode of transportation for her! She was really positive and open minded. I gave her a card from the dealership where I bought my scooter and told her to check out this site. I haven't seen her tooling around on a scooter yet but I know Maplewood scooters has sold a few so you never know.

Another fun one was when I pulled into a gas station to fill up and went in to prepay and I asked for $3.25 and the young man behind the counter was a big kid who looked like a pick-up truck driver... Which he was. He laughed when I said $3.25 and we both laughed when my scooter only took $2.97!!!! He was holding my change up in the window. But he said he was interested in a scooter.... That he and his brother had been looking at them and that he needed the pickup for his other job, he thought the scooter would be great to commute to his filling station job and for commuting back and forth to school.

I've gotten a couple of snide remarks when filling up but mostly my experience has been very positive. Look at the people on this board... What's to hate. This is the happiest message board I have ever been on.

One really REALLY over the top reaction. I was putting gas in my scooter and this SUV thensizenof the QEII pulls up and as I was taking my gas cap off the screamed at me to move because she needed gas. Literally, she screamed at me. I look around and there are four pumps not in use and only one other vehicle besides me and my scooter. She then pulls up right behind me and honks for me to move. I told her that the pump behind me was NOT in use, I was not in her way and I had paid for my gas. And thatbidnshenlet me just fill up my less than a gallon,min would have been gone already. She kept yelling at me and other "scooter people like me" who she hated because we drive on the road and not the bicycle lane and "normal people like her" can't see us. I said its illegal for us to ride in the bike lane, and that we had the same right to use a full lane as a car does. I said I didn't exist for her convenience, andnintold her she wouldn't notice a Sherman TANK in front of here because she was self involved. I shouldn't have said anything. She was a b!tch and why bother. She likely came out of the womb like that.
96 Decibel Freaks
Tom

Post by Tom »

TVB wrote:
*or "sarcastic" ,which translates as "assholish without the courage"
Really? No accounting for context at all? I think sarcasm can be a great thing, even very positive.
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

I am also what you might call a "scooter ambassador." It got to be a habit when I worked at ESS, of course, but it carries on to this day. Even when I've been in a hurry (rare), I take the time to answer questions, give cards to more info (shops, scootnashville.com) and I have had no negative feedback from anyone -- and especially not the hawg riders, who might laugh at first, but always come check it out, and are always impressed with the MPG and speed I (truthfully) report.

Oddly, even though I'm an old redneck-lookin' white guy, about 70% of the people asking the questions are black. I like talking to strangers. It's how you get to know people, and be neighborly. Often, I get a card or an e-mail address from folx, and I hang onto those. Expanding the base of riders is a good thang, IMO, and we all should try to encourage it.
Tom

Post by Tom »

jprestonian wrote:Expanding the base of riders is a good thang, IMO, and we all should try to encourage it.
I think I really agree with this. But like neo, I don't feel like every comment/question constitutes genuine interest- some folks like to tease, I'm all about giving it back, but in a friendly way. Never had anyone be outright hostile about scooters. That's a position that I would find baffling and can't think of any appropriate response but to ignore it.
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

Tocsik wrote:
un_designer wrote:...

Hey, I saw a Buddy on the news at the Shred-A-Thon last year!
Were you riding 2-up with black half-helmets on?
LOL yep that was me. It was early in the morning and I was still kind of sleepy before heading out to the Shred-a-Thon. Almost everyone I know here seem to have seen that clip but me. I tried contacting them to see if they have it somewhere I can access but never heard back. Bleh...
» Current: 2006 Saabaru 9-2x Aero, 2006 Scion xB, Original '07 Series Italia, 2003 Marin Highway One
Collette

Post by Collette »

Most of the people I speak to (or that speak to me I guess) say that they've always wanted one or are looking into getting one and I tell them DO IT !

I try to stress how stress-free scooter riding is (no pun intended) and being that I got rid of my car, Ive never been so happy to have to run errands. The complete mindset is different when we're out there in the wind instead of being closed in on the road.

Most people also ask what do I do when it rains. Ive been riding everyday since October, and have only rode while it was storming 3 times, all on my way home. Otherwise, I just wait until it passes over and catch the 20 minute window of no rain. Cant feel the rain anyway - they usually get a kick out of that lol

Like really . . . just go get one already :D
Collette

Post by Collette »

Tom wrote:
jprestonian wrote:Expanding the base of riders is a good thang, IMO, and we all should try to encourage it.
I think I really agree with this. But like neo, I don't feel like every comment/question constitutes genuine interest- some folks like to tease, I'm all about giving it back, but in a friendly way. Never had anyone be outright hostile about scooters. That's a position that I would find baffling and can't think of any appropriate response but to ignore it.
Yeah when the old men (and theyre always at least 70 years old on a Harley) ask me when Im gonna get a big girl bike, I smile with charm and keep it movin. Its all in the name of fun !
hal888

Post by hal888 »

On a recent ride to work, I was stopped at a red light and there was this homeless guy at the intersection selling $1 newspapers. He sees me,and starts asking questions about my scoot- mileage and cost stuff- then says he wants to get a scooter for himself someday. I was impressed, then the light turns green and I rode off down the street.

A few days later, I'm riding to work again and stopped at a different intersection. Another homeless guy at that intersection starts talking to me about his old Harley. There is just something about bikes that bring people together . Could be joy, but I don't know.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Tom wrote:
That is how I feel. I've never had anybody be outright hostile either, like you did Mutt (that was crazy btw!), but I have gotten some demeaning comments... not even from MC riders, either- always cagers on foot in conversation, brushing off scooters or belittling them, or insisting they are not a viable form of transportation because they are dangerous or because our region has winter :roll:

Like this guy... in December, I stopped at a sister station that's 24hours on the way home from work one night; it was 35 degrees or so out. A man that pulled up on the other side of the pump was trying to make friendly conversation with me and joked "Gee, not exactly great scooter weather, is it?" as he watched me take off my gloves and rub my hands. I joked back and said, "Any weather is scooter weather when you get 90 miles a gallon!" He nodded and conceded I had him there :lol:
Tom wrote: I have a 'friend' (who I hardly know) at the coffee shop on a harley (Old long hair biker type)- he always jokes on my bike all the time, and we've become friends because I joke back on his. First thing he ever said to me was the typical "fat chick" joke, but later I saw him pulling out of a parking spot big old three point turn and I stopped and laughed and told him my tercel had a better turning radius, lol. Nowadays, when I pull up to the coffee shop, I look for where he's parked and park in the same spot, he does the same. We drink our coffee together and talk about rides/ talk shit too, lol. If I see him outside I slow down as I pass him and rev the Stella as loud as she'll go, and he gets a kick out of that. He honestly thinks my bike is a waste of time and I feel the same about his. But who cares? Neither of us do.. Get past all that, and people are pretty cool in general! [/quote

Haha that's cute... and a good story with a good message.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

I had an old guy in a big, beat ol' pick up truck lean out of his window and ask about my scoot on friday after work. He said "bet you get real good gas mileage on that little sucker, huh? isn't it scary around big vehicles like this thing?!" I replied, "It gets better mileage than my Harley, that's for sure! ...and it's fast enough to keep me away from the scary people!" Then I left him in my dust.
I too tend to ride a few mph above the speed limit for the "wtf is up with these slow-ass scooters getting in my way" reason. Not too worried about it though, I don't think any cops around here have the balls to pull me over for something so stupid (plus I know most of them-- and I'm the only one around here with a silver and purple scoot!).

Otherwise I have people come into my job at the mall all the time asking about my scooter. Even though I can no longer park it in the first two rows of the lot, people still stop and check out my sign in the 4th row, and come in to talk about it. It has all of the specs (and then some) from Genuine's website on the back.
Most ask "have you REALLY seen someone put their child on it and take a picture?!" To which I reply, "Yes.... I was NOT happy, and promptly schooled the guy on what the meaning of "motorcycle" and "private property" are in NY state. I also let him know that the local sheriff hq is in the mall." I actually had someone say "If that happened to my bike I would poop* on their [the offending picture-taker's] windshield."

Otherwise I try to educate people the best I can on my particular scooter and others that I have seen/ridden briefly. When they ask where I got it I tell them Burlington-- just because I don't think anyone should waste their time on Vespa Schenectady. I also tell them that there are a few other dealerships that sell Kymcos locally, and Kymcos are just as good as my Genuine/PGO, if not better for this area because they have bigger wheels.

*edited for the folks that get their panties in a bunch over bad words.
Tam Tam

Mostly

Post by Tam Tam »

Mostly, it's positive comments... once had two teenagers in a car at a 4 way stop yell out "LOOK AT THAT F$#%^ING IDIOT"...so I waved like Booger in 'Revenge of the Nerds', like he waved at the Fraternity type & his girlfriend after the Frat guy yelled insults at him...big deal.
But once, while leaving a small bar/restaurant after lunch, the bartender (Big Thor-like blond guy) happens by us, and asks "So, what do you ride?" (I was holding my helmet) I reply, "Oh, a Stella." He leans in and says, "What?". So, being friendly, I reply, "A Stella scooter." - saying it a little bit louder this time.
LOL - he does an about face and gets outta sight without saying a word! It was as if my hand had fallen off due to leprosy, or I had tried to hand him an AMWAY brochure.
But the best reaction I 've ever had was a silent one. Going thru a light under an over pass, at the light opposite me is a big doctor/lawyer shiny Harley with a kinda tough weekend warrior, in his black muscle shirt (but no tattoos), and on the back, his 'old lady'. They're both in their 30's, sunglasses but no helmets. As I pass by them, doing a respectable 20 mph, the guy just sits there looking straight ahead, fully aware of his super coolness. But the lady on the back, watches me go by them, turning her head to track me as I buzz by...
I get a kick out of wondering what she was thinking...and hope it was something like "Gee, that looks like fun...more fun than what I'm doing."
"When you're racing, that's when you're really alive. Everything else...everything...just becomes waiting to race." - Steve McQueen
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

I get questions often enough, and I too am like a "scooter ambassador." I answer all of them best I can. It's usually "how much does that cost" or "gas mileage" or "where can I get one" or "whats it called?"

It's fun, I like talking about my scooter and others. People shout from windows sometimes. Usually after I am riding like I stole it and I get a "how fast does it go." Got asked that by some cholos a few weeks back when on the BJ. Tattoos on the heads and all.

Boyz In Da Hood...On Scooters :shock:

People tend to like my scooter. I think it's because the man makes the scooter, not the other way around! :roll: :lol: :P
Riding is riding
Tam Tam

not to brag

Post by Tam Tam »

But yeah, Blackjacks tend to get respect, as far as scooters go. At a 4 way stopsign, there was some kinda big ass bike 1 car behind me, as I could hear it! So, I gunned it thru the stopsign (as much as you can at on a Blackjack) only to come up to a red light next. I can hear the "bluh bluh bluh bluh" of the big motorcycle getting louder, and then it pulls it next to me. It is not a lawyer's Harley or a $30,000 mid life crisis chopper, but a real harley chopper ridden by a guy with tattoos up to his jaw line! He looks over grinning and says "&^*!! that thing is loud, man!!!"
We bs'd til the light changed and he gave a wave and took off. I'm guessing the black, red & chrome look of Blackjacks (combined with the sound of the Prima) kinda seems to give it an edge with certain folks. No one has yet to tell me how 'cute' my Blackjack is
:shock:
"When you're racing, that's when you're really alive. Everything else...everything...just becomes waiting to race." - Steve McQueen
amy

Post by amy »

hahahaha!
amy

Post by amy »

Seniors and children seem to really love scooters. I gorilla glued a bicycle bell to my Gen-U-Bin and *ring-ring* it when kids are looking all goolgey-eyed at me.

I'd say 99.8% of the time people give positive responses to me on my scoot.

They others REALLY respond when I launch the Stebel horn at them heh heh
scubadoobie

Post by scubadoobie »

BuddyLicious wrote:I know some riders have made up little pocket size cards to hand out to the curious.I thought that was clever.We dont always have time to stop and answer lots of questions you know.
My dealer delivered the iScoot with a little zip lock bag full of his cards in the pet carrier..."hand 'em out when people ask about your scoot."

I held what felt like a seminar at the last fuel up. A couple got out of their giant double-wide SUV to ask me all about my scoot. Usual questions about mileage, speed, cost, but they also wanted to know where I ride, when, errands, how far, traffic, etc. We eventually had to move over to the parking area to free up the pumps. They had that look of major league scooter-envy and it wouldn't surprise me if they went directly to ScooterSmith to buy a couple. :lol:
Scooting is good for the soul....

skully93

Post by skully93 »

I've had a lot of people do that to me too. Park for lunch, get 1/2 worth of questions. Some friends of mine bought a kymco to hold them both after seeing video of a local ride. Good times!
AlleyOops

Post by AlleyOops »

amy wrote:Seniors and children seem to really love scooters. I gorilla glued a bicycle bell to my Gen-U-Bin and *ring-ring* it when kids are looking all goolgey-eyed at me.

I like the bike bell idea!
- Ally
amy

Post by amy »

AlleyOops wrote:
amy wrote:Seniors and children seem to really love scooters. I gorilla glued a bicycle bell to my Gen-U-Bin and *ring-ring* it when kids are looking all goolgey-eyed at me.

I like the bike bell idea!
Yeah - its super cute! But I only use it at very low speeds (like in a parking lot) or when stopped since it is glued down on the Gen-U-Bin and I have to let go of the throttle to ring it.
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

@skully were you riding 2-up on the Italia 150 on Saturday?
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

neotrotsky wrote: Yes, I am of the mindset that people suck in general.
I'm also a member of that club.

Ppl ask me about the scooter, and I have the "Ask me about my Scooter" patch on my jacket. I know the Buddy is cool looking and ppl realize, somewhere in their monkey brain, that using a scooter for around town would be a positive on many levels. So I answer the questions, no matter how many times I've heard them or how lame they are. And when I finally get serious about moving up to a bigger scoot, I'll add to the conversation that mine is for sale, sans the rack and top box.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
GJLawyer

Post by GJLawyer »

I generally get positive feedback with lots of questions about mpg, speed, cost, and the always asked “is that a Vespa?” I do my best to answer and explain things; never hurts to generate some goodwill.

Only time I get negative reactions is when I'm out late and the drunks are about. My GF tends bar on the weekends so if I’m there around closing some drunk ass usually needs to comment. My swarm of angry 2 stroke bees tends to drown them out.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

GJLawyer wrote:I generally get ....... the always asked “is that a Vespa?”
Yeah, I get that a lot. Suprisingly, the second you tell them no, they usually lose interest and move on. You have to hand it to Vespa that their marketing is that good.
Last edited by k1dude on Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mutt the Hoople

Post by Mutt the Hoople »

Band-Aid, Jello, Kleenex, Xerox, Vespa
96 Decibel Freaks
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

rsrider wrote:
neotrotsky wrote: Yes, I am of the mindset that people suck in general.
I'm also a member of that club.
...Me too. I'm not even going to get started on just how much people suck. I'll leave it at-- people REALLY suck. A lot. :)