my first official 55mph ride...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skully93

my first official 55mph ride...

Post by skully93 »

I decided to throw caution to the wind today and ride to my Boulder office that I visit once a week.

It is a really pretty drive that early. I'm not sure I would do it regularly, for the following reasons:

1) there are some hilly 55mph zones. I just can't keep up at this altitude at that speed. Everyone else is in a giant SUV and goes 90 everywhere.

2) there are some curves that have some limited sight distance. Though I'd like to have faith that everyone is going to be in the proper lane, and that there will not be a deer/accident/giant rock/gravel when I make that turn at 50mph, the thought is still scary.

3) 10" wheels at that speed on curves and mountains are kinda...squirelly. Up to 50mph though it really is super easy.

4) I put on a topcase with backrest for when my wife is 2up. I can definitely tell the difference when trying to get over 50. doesn't seem to make a ton of difference before that. this is the first fillup with it on, and since I did some high-stress driving it will be a few weeks before I make a determination about how much it affects mpg in general. I can always take it off between 2 up rides.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Cool!

What route did you take?

At sea level I used to have no problem going 65-70 bmph for extended times but I've found I don't have that top speed here (I haven't rejetted or anything).

I'd like to ride into Boulder- I was thinking 287 to Arapahoe would be the way to go. I'd also really like to take 128 from Broomfield to 93, and then maybe take 6 for a while, or head to Red Rocks. I don't know if that's crazy or not but I feel like it's doable.
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

:shock: did you actually take it on the 36??

i used to ride up to the office once in a while in my scooter, too, for kicks... this is the route i take:

http://bit.ly/JgBx44
» Current: 2006 Saabaru 9-2x Aero, 2006 Scion xB, Original '07 Series Italia, 2003 Marin Highway One
» Departed: 2004 Subaru WRX, 1999 1/2 VW GTI
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: my first official 55mph ride...

Post by ericalm »

skully93 wrote:3) 10" wheels at that speed on curves and mountains are kinda...squirelly. Up to 50mph though it really is super easy.
Better tires make a lot of difference! A windscreen helps, too.

Doing those kinds of speeds on any non-maxi-scoot feels pretty squirrelly at first, much like 40mph feels shaky and uncertain when you start riding. When I've taken bigger scoots (250s) onto freeways, what surprises me is that they're not amazingly more stable than a 150, just somewhat more stable.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
skully93

Post by skully93 »

un_designer wrote::shock: did you actually take it on the 36??

i used to ride up to the office once in a while in my scooter, too, for kicks... this is the route i take:

http://bit.ly/JgBx44
I took wasdworth to 121, then that to 128, then that to 93. it was a bit iffy in spots, but if I could take my own pace of mostly 45-50 on a sunday morning it would be gorgeous. 287 has some 60mph zones where people just flat out go ape ,faster than the highway!

I'm going to try dodging around a bit from pearl to 55th to arapahoe down to 95th, and that will go straight to 144th. From there I will go east until Zuni, which will turn into Federal and take speer from there. The Boulder sportique is very close to this office so I went over and picked their brains over lunch.

I'll let you know how it turns out. if you Northern folk want to get together sometime, we should consult Witch and Nigelthefish for a place to all meet up, even if it's a short commute for you

As far as Red rocks goes, we were planning on maybe headed up there on 5-19, meeting at a place on Sheridan. If you're interested lemme know, I'd be happy to fill in the details.
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

hole-ley i'm glad you have a 150cc. i've done wadsworth all the way to interlocken, but anything beyond that is really iffy on a 125. also, i'm guessing you know this already but you gotta be careful with interlocken & the 93 on windy days. that place gets crazy gusts.

how long did it take you? my old ride used to take anywhere from 1h15m to 1h30m.

red rock sounds good. keep me posted.
» Current: 2006 Saabaru 9-2x Aero, 2006 Scion xB, Original '07 Series Italia, 2003 Marin Highway One
skully93

Post by skully93 »

it was just over an hour there and @ 1:45 on the way back, but that was rush hour traffic all the way down federal.

Overall, gorgeous drive. I'd take the back roads again!
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

It gets even better :)
Riding is riding
303 whodat

Post by 303 whodat »

Hello all :) Long time lurker, first time poster here. I finally made the plunge in March for a People 50, learned my way around on 2 wheels, and a month later found a gorgeous black B&W 150.

On the People, I was never able to get above 40 mph on flat ground, and when these strong Colorado winds would kick in, 28 was about the best I could get when facing a headwind. It actually became a safety issue for me in traffic, not to mention was undermining my confidence I was slowly developing.

Now that I have 150cc's pushing me, my comfort zone of 35 mph has slowly grown to 45mph... and it's growing every day. 52 is my fastest so far... I think 55 should be fine.

I keep setting goals for myself, and a trip to Boulder will be my next milestone. Once I do that, I hope to make it up to Nederland.

Any local scooterists have experience with the canyon twisties? Should I be keeping a 150 in the Foothills, or can I reasonably expect to make the climb to Nederland and Estes Park on a 150?

Thank you for all the kind dialogue and helpful advice I've read on this amazing forum, the community here provides an amazing resource for us newborns looking to join the herd.
hal888

Re: my first official 55mph ride...

Post by hal888 »

ericalm wrote:
skully93 wrote:3) 10" wheels at that speed on curves and mountains are kinda...squirelly. Up to 50mph though it really is super easy.
Better tires make a lot of difference! A windscreen helps, too.
+1 for better tires. My comfortable cruising speed went from 50 to 60 mph the day I replaced the stock tires.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

dunno if I'll replace the stocks this year or if it will be Spring of next. I expect to have over 4k at the end of the year.
velobuff

Post by velobuff »

Nice! I ride my people 250 from boulder to Broomfield every day on 36 pretty much. It's a boring high speed ride.

Sometimes I take the back way 93-> 128 -> wadsworth and it's much more scenic although it takes me much longer to go he reverse route on my way home because I end up taking side tips like this :D

My People's 16" wheels help steadiness - too much because I feel like I'm rising a mc so no $hit eatin grin as if I were hurtling on 36 in my vino 125 :)

Not sure if you realize but a lot of the squirriliness is due to riding in the car tires' indentation on both edges of the lane (where I usually ride). Move over a few inches (not into the grease) & no more squirrels :) I'm thinking the tread pattern in your stock tires might let the squirrelly grooves influence them too much. You do have to get used to it & check the road & tell yourself your tires' not flat/you're it drunk.

A windshield is mandatory - I've had stuff bang my visior or windshield even following 2 secs behind.

I actually rode from boulder to centennial in yesterdays crappy weather on 36->25 and it wasn't too bad. Did 80 in the left lane south of downtown :)
<a target="_blank" href=''https://velobuff.com/">My Blog</a>
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

velobuff wrote:My People's 16" wheels help steadiness - too much because I feel like I'm rising a mc so no $hit eatin grin as if I were hurtling on 36 in my vino 125 :)
Do you seriously take the Vino on HW 36?? :shock:
velobuff

Post by velobuff »

un_designer wrote:
velobuff wrote:My People's 16" wheels help steadiness - too much because I feel like I'm rising a mc so no $hit eatin grin as if I were hurtling on 36 in my vino 125 :)
Do you seriously take the Vino on HW 36?? :shock:
No but if I did and was hurtling down 36 @ 60mph, I'd have a $hit eating grin on my face :D
<a target="_blank" href=''https://velobuff.com/">My Blog</a>