My Butt Hurts ;~)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

2wheelNsanity

My Butt Hurts ;~)

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

I rode 100 miles today, 60 of which were non-stop. By the end of the ride my back side was suffering with a good 10mi. to go. Has anyone upgraded the seat on a buddy? I was wandering if I replace the foam with so better stuff, we have an apholstry shop in town, will that help? Or is it a shock issue?
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I think it's the shocks. I haven't got to ride very far on a blacjack, but I dunno if even that helps that much. Not much travel in the buggers.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I road 721 miles over 4 days last weekend and was happy the entire way. Personally I find the Buddy amazingly comfortable for long distances. I sit at the back of the seat so I have lots of room. I would suggest shifting your position around some while you ride. Move your feet around. Stand up for a moment or two at stop lights to let the blood circulate. And most of all stay relaxed and tension free while you are riding.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

it goes away with practice. I rode my scoot a lot this last weekend and was suffering from a sore butt. I hadn't had a sore butt in years but I also used to ride over 1k miles a month. just do more long rides, you'll find it stops hurting :D
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

There are some factors that start becoming significant the longer you're in the saddle. Air and blood circulation, clothing seams, sweat, and pressure to name the major ones. Address those and you'll be amazed at how long you can go in comfort. :) The Iron Butt Association has some good tips, as well as some of the threads (possibly buried) here.
2wheelNsanity

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

I think its just cuz i'm getting old. I use to drive the cage for hours on end and now I can't do more than an hour or two. I get the "Patrick Star" cramps (Spongebob reference). I stop alot and go for a "walk abouts" if I have to travel a long way. Thanx for the replies.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Good to know. Doing an Iron Butt ride here in June!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

You can have parts of the seat replaced with gel padding. There are also some seat covers for long-distance riding that may help. Airhawk, Saddlemen and Pro Pad are some of the well known brands.

BootScootin'FireFighter used an Airhawk on the Cannonball so might have some feedback on those.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

ericalm wrote:BootScootin'FireFighter used an Airhawk on the Cannonball so might have some feedback on those.
worth it's weight in gold. It saved my ass, literally.

My roomate bought a roll of cheap carpet padding from Home Depot, super cheap and disposable, he double it up and used duct tape to secure it.
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

Rare it the person like Skootz Kabootz who can ride that much, but the more you ride, the more you can ride.... I can ride a bicycle for 4-5 hrs straight, no sore butt. Ride the Buddy Ebsen for and hrs straight...Sore butt. You gotta have a stong back too! The Buddy just isn't necessarily made for the majority of people to be comfortable for a long ride in it.
My other scooter is a Schwinn.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

I normally just do maybe 20 to 60 miles a day (round trip to work, depending on which office I work at that day).

Once a year, my husband and I ride 187 miles one way to visit relatives, stay for a couple of days, then head back. My butt doesn't hurt...and more importantly my BACK doesn't hurt (as I do have a bad back), but my shoulder blade area starts bugging me maybe 3/4 of the way there.

Go figure. :roll:
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

MrNatural wrote:Ride the Buddy Ebsen for and hrs straight…
The what?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…