Plastic panel cracked, broken piece repair tips?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

50CC Cape Cod

Plastic panel cracked, broken piece repair tips?

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

I have a couple of cracks and a piece broke off a plastic panel. Also another piece the plastic tab holding a blinker light snapped and a tab on the headlight trim ring broke off. Any suggestion to repair. Crazy glue or clear silicone caulking?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

The replacement panels are not very expensive. I'd just bite the bullet and buy the two you need. In my experience, gluing a tab is not very successful.
flexx75

Post by flexx75 »

May I ask what in the world happen to cause all this damage ?
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Replace or use an epoxy made for plastic. Both of the glue options you listed will not work. JB weld can work if the surfaces to be glued are rough, but it will pop off of super smooth plastic.
303 whodat

Post by 303 whodat »

I had similar problems with a People 50 front fender... 4 cracks going from left to right, and the vibration of traveling made it worse. I used JB Weld and let it sit for 24 hours... wasn't pretty to look at, but it held it together just fine. If replacement is easy, I'd suggest that. JB Weld is 5-6 bucks at Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/paint/adhe ... 54243.html

video on how to apply.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8oEROtlRuk

Good luck!
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

This is on a People 50. The scooter had fallen a long time ago on a grassy area and the rear side blinker popped off out of the fender groove. The headlight trim rim did the same and plastic housing under head light cracked way on the bottom. I was able to snap back into place and set with some crazy glue at that time. Now that the scooter is back into use after 6 years vibration etc loosened things up. The panels etc are like new except for these small issues so will try the fix. Thought the silicone would help lessen the vibration and in turn keep things tight. Thanks.
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

Autogoop works great! I broke my handle bar undercover over 5 years ago and repaired it with Autogoop while I was waiting for the replacement part. It worked so well I never got around to changing it, probably someday when I have to take the head set apart for something else I'll get around to it.
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

[quote="Tazio"]Autogoop works great! I broke my handle bar undercover over 5 years ago and repaired it with Autogoop

Thanks I will try to pick some up. I see Ace Hardware has it listed on line.
Any idea who else may stock for local purchase? Sounds like would do the trick.
beastmaster

Post by beastmaster »

fiber glass kit works great. and for 20 bucks to ! my panels where broke on both sides and i glass them right up and now there stronger than they were before they broke , pm if you have any questions
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

[quote="bluebuddygirl"]Replace or use an epoxy made for plastic. Both of the glue options you listed will not work.

Finally got around to fixing and the Quick Set 5 Min epoxy from HF worked great and dries clear so seems strong and just looks like a scar where the pieces are joined together. Thanks for the helpful input.
Keys

Post by Keys »

...also model airplane glue works perfectly.
"Life without music would Bb"
TVB

Post by TVB »

Keys wrote:...also model airplane glue works perfectly.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue....
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

Lots of videos and info on the 'net about plastic welding with cable ties, but I really liked this guy's approach:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7GRNvPSf7k
honi soit qui mal y pense
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

redhandmoto wrote:Lots of videos and info on the 'net about plastic welding with cable ties, but I really liked this guy's approach:

Thanks for that vid. Very inventive. I'll have to file that away in my head and hopefully I won't lose it in there.
hg3

Post by hg3 »

:D

redhandmoto - Thanks for sharing that video you came across. I am off to repair a broken lug my scoot.

:lol:
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

Isn't that cool? I like the way he uses bits of copper wire sunk into the joint to reinforce it.
As he says, find or break something plastic first, then practice.

I'd be trying it right now, but at 7:30 this evening, it's still 103 degrees outside... :shock:
honi soit qui mal y pense
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

redhandmoto wrote:Lots of videos and info on the 'net about plastic welding with cable ties, but I really liked this guy's approach:

awesome video. Now, I just need something to break.... wait...