Buddy fell down

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

TVB

Buddy fell down

Post by TVB »

I got a phoine call at work this afternoon from someone in my building telling me that my scooter was on its side. Another coworker had seen it and put it back on its stand, but of course I went out to investigate. It was on the center stand, of course. The parking lot has a little bit of a slope to it there, and there was some wind today from the right direction. It doesn't seem like the wind could've done it, but that seems a little more likely than someone pushing it. The parking lot is used pretty much exclusively by people who work there, and the scooter was in view of several offices (if someone happened to be looking at the time), so it's hard to imagine someone pushing it over and risking that someone would see them. It had only been an hour since I parked it.

There was leaked gas on the pavement (it had fallen to the right part-way into a vacant spot), but not a lot. It took me several tries to get it started, but once it did it ran OK. There's a few scuffs on the plastic: no big deal. The only major damage was that my right mirror stem snapped, just above the threads (high enough to get them out with vice pliers when I got home). Fortunately that was the rusty mirror stem. On the other hand, as long as I'm buying one, this might be a good opportunity to look at better (bigger) mirrors, and order a pair. (Recommendations welcome.)
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

If it was above 90 degrees and it was on pavement, you might consider a couple disc's to put under your stand legs.
TVB

Post by TVB »

I didn't think of that. It was 90F+ today. The parking lot tarmack seemed pretty solid (there's lots of rock in it), but tomorrow I'll look for divots that might've contributed to it tipping over.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

pisser!

I bought some skull disks off of amazon for $5 each
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

You can get Electric outlet blank plates from Home Depot or Lowes for dirt cheap. Or even use a crushed aluminum can for even cheaper. :D
viney266

Post by viney266 »

TVB wrote:I didn't think of that. It was 90F+ today. The parking lot tarmack seemed pretty solid (there's lots of rock in it), but tomorrow I'll look for divots that might've contributed to it tipping over.
^^^ My thoughts,too. It takes a REALLY strong wind to knock a bike or scooter over, unless it has a full cover on it.

Good idea on the electric blanking plates.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
TVB

Post by TVB »

I investigated the "scene of the crime" today (after the car that had parked there left), and confirmed that the culprit was... Apollo.

When I parked the scooter yesterday, the right leg of the center stand had come down on a seam where the cracked tarmac had been repaired with just-plain-tar, which is dark and softened in the hot sun. I could see where the tar had been gouged out, plus a little nick in the harder pavement where I think the left leg scraped as it tipped.

That still doesn't fix my mirror, :( but knowing that it was Apollo and how he did it makes me a little less paranoid about Zephyrus, Boreas, Notus, and Eurus, and the mortals I share the parking lot with.