I Need Help deciding between ...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bacchus1234

I Need Help deciding between ...

Post by bacchus1234 »

Hello Folks!

I am new to the forum here and I would really appreciate any and all help in deciding between a Buddy 150 and A SYM RV250.

They are both brand new and are being sold thru very reputable dealers just a few miles from where I live.

The Buddy is a 2011 I believe and is $2895. The SYM is a 2008 and is $2699.

I will be mostly commuting about 10-20 miles or so daily and I am 6'0 and 210. However, It would be nice to know that I'm not necessarily limited to backroads and can do some touring if need be.

From all of the research that I've seen , these are both very good and reliable machines although very different as well.

I kinda feel that the Buddy may be a bit more reliable and I like that I feel very comfortable knowing that the parts/dealer network will be around for a long time to come. However, the SYM seems to be the better deal from the dealership (an aprox 5,000 original MSRP).

Can anyone PLEASE help me to make a wise decision?

Thanks so much!
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

I would get the SYM and wait on a Buddy. A used Buddy, even.

The SYM is a sweet machine if it suits your needs. Great deal on it, too. Make sure your dealer can get parts for servicing and repair, as distribution of SYM stuffs has been spotty over the last 18 months or so.

Also although "new" I wonder if someone can chime in on what sort of things a 2008 bike might need sooner then later on account of age / sitting? Can't age alone affect things like tires, seals, hoses, and the CVT belt? What if this 2008 SYM was manufactured in 2007? Any concerns for TS, there?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Wz-F7Dyy4aw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Riding is riding
Maximus53

Post by Maximus53 »

The obvious answer is try to ride them both and see which one speaks to you...

I recently upgraded to a new scooter and went to the dealer with the intention of going for at least a 250cc. I wanted to test ride a citycom 300 and a People S 250. While i was waiting for the People S 250 to be prepped I took out the Stella 4T. After that I rode the People S 250 and yes it was faster, but it didnt have the same "spark?". The 250 was nice and I liked the ride, but it was much more car like than the little wheeled Stella.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

If the SYM comes with a warranty that would be a tough deal to pass on
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Rush

Post by Rush »

Blaine on the Blur Forums can speak to the SYM 250. I'd send him a PM. He owns one along with the Blur. I believe his wife prefers it for riding 2up. Bit more powerful and comfortable than the Blur.

My hunch is that the Genuine dealership may not be able to do warrantee work on the SYM but they'd be more than happy to do the regular servicing.
paikkylee

Post by paikkylee »

I was in my local shop last week, who also used to sell Sym products and they have not been able to get stock replacement parts for months at a time, so they dropped the line. I'd be very leery of anything from them. Probably why it's discounted.
Orange '08 Buddy 125
Seafoam Buddy "72" - Sold
Raleigh MTB - Bar ends and slicks
Syd

Post by Syd »

Wow, that's like comparing a bar stool to a Barcalounger. The RV250 (terrible name, by the way) is a completely different vehicle than the Buddy.

Others have said it. Ride both and choose. At least sit on both, you may find that the RV doesn't fit, or the Buddy just feels wrong. Compare them both on how they feel.

As for touring, two Buddys just completed an eight day cross country 'tour', so to say the Buddy is no good for touring isn't fair. If you need to ride two-up, then the RV may be a better choice. But for reliability and commuting ability, either scoot will fit your needs, so sit on them...

Then buy the HD200 for $3400. :)
The majority is always sane - Nessus
bacchus1234

Post by bacchus1234 »

Thanks so much guys!

This is really tough for me to decide on .

First off, Syd , they do have SYM HD200 at that same dealership with the other SYM for $2100.00 but I initially kinda ruled that out although I'm not really sure why. Maybe I should give that one another look as well?

Anyway, here is my complete situation...

My 98 Honda Accord's transmission has been going out for awhile now and that got me thinking about alternate transport a few weeks or so ago.

My roommate and I have been sharing my car and so it has been difficult for me to look around for much of anything because I never have the car during the day.

Doing reaearch, I found out about GENUINE and this forum and really like what I'm seeing here. These quick and honest replies have only strengthened that conviction.

From what I can gather, it just so happens that the two dealerships within a few miles of me sell probably the two best Taiwanese scooters around. This past saturday, I went for a look but not a ride. I haven't ridden a motorcycle in years and so I have been a little hesitant to do so (out of pride maybe?) .. plus it was pouring rain..

I agree that I need to really ride them to get an honest assessment . I do believe that I would be immediately comfortable on the Buddy because of the size and also, I like the idea of it. My roommate and one other friend seem to think that I'm crazy for not getting the SYM but i'm just not too sure.

i really would like to make this decision/purchase today and I am going to look again in about an hour or so .

I don't have alot of money to spend and financing is out of the question about 4,000 or so is all of the money that I have in the world right now, but I don't wanna look back and say " If I'd only spent a few hundred more" which is also, why the Buddy 170I is not completely out of the question (at full retail) as well if you all think that's a viable option.

I live in Mississippi and so the weather should be pretty good for scooting year round.. BTW, That Genuine dealership has already been commented on here as top notch - Capital Sports In Jackson, MS

I apologize for the LOOONG post but I really respect this forum's opinion and would appreciate any help!!!!

Thanks !!!!!!!!
bacchus1234

Post by bacchus1234 »

I will get something one way or another tomorrow...
303 whodat

Post by 303 whodat »

Since this forum is a plethora of information on Buddies and their quality, here's a nice blog of a guy who just completed the Cannonball with a SYM HD200.

http://ga2ca12.blogspot.com/search?upda ... date=false

+1 "Make sure your dealer can get parts for servicing and repair, as distribution of SYM stuffs has been spotty over the last 18 months or so. "

I have a 2006 Bet and Win 150... I love my scoot, got a terrific deal on it, but the Kymco dealers are all 20-35 minutes away. I had high hopes of my local Kawasaki dealership in town, but they just sold the last of their Schwinn scooters and don't seem too eager to touch mine. If it weren't for the resources I've found on the forums here and elsewhere, I'm not sure how feasible owning a scooter as primary transportation would be in the rural area I live in.

Is there any difference in insurance cost between the two scooters due to displacement? I read on another forum that over 200cc's, the premiums may go up... but this was in New York City where it seems everything is crazy expensive.

Good luck on your new scoot, and post pics of what you decide on:)
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

The HD 200 is a little ugly, but is a very solid machine. and you can get parts for it no problem.

the rv250 on the other hand looks awesome, is very comfortable, but good luck on replacement parts.

the buddy is a solid bike, and has a great parts network. it is a little cramped for some people, so sit on all three. also most don't take their buddies on the highway, the SYMs on the other hand were made for going wherever.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I think it depends entirely on your personal situation.

I would be all over that SYM RV250 for that price. But I also have an SUV, a truck, and a Buddy. So if the Sym breaks down and I have to wait 6 weeks for parts, I still have lots of other means of transportation that I can use.

But if I were a starving student or just starting out in life on my own, I might want something with a good warranty and service nearby since it'll be your only mode of transport. You'll want quick parts and fast repair close by. So the Buddy would be better. But if you have a good public bus or rail system that would work for you, I might still consider the SYM.

As mentioned previously, the SYM would also be far better for highway riding. And boy, you can't beat all the features on that SYM! But I'll bet the Buddy is far more 'fun' to ride. It'll be far more maneuverable as well. And it won't take up much space depending on your living arrangements.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The reason the RV250 was discontinued is that it was a poor seller. SYM distribution in the US was taken over by a new company last year. They (wisely) decided to cut back the model lineup and focus on the bigger sellers or those with more sales potential. Supposedly, some of the parts supply issues have been ironed out. I'd want some assurance that parts for that model will be available for some time to come.

The RV250's basically a cruiser. Sit back, enjoy the ride. It sits low for a scooter that size, with a foot-forward riding position. Completely different experience than riding a Buddy.

If you have any freeway travel planned, get the SYM or some 200cc+ scooter. The Buddy 150/170i can do some freeways but aren't suited for long-range freeway travel.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
velobuff

Post by velobuff »

#1 thing is how fast do you need to go on your travels. Now add 10 mph.

I considered a Sym HD200 but I've read and talked to someone that was selling his that it will go 65 on the highway but not much faster.

So I got a People 250 instead. It can go 75 (gps verified) at this altitude which means I ride it to work on the highway every day that I can.

The Vino 125 I got doesn't do anywhere near that and I would never ride it on the highway so it just sits there for in-town jaunts (which I like it for).

Like others said, those aforementioned scooters you're considering are very different beasts with different capabilities. You have to decide what's most important to you but first start with the engine size/required speed to do everything you want otherwise you'll buying another one soon thereafter and end up wasting money.
<a target="_blank" href=''https://velobuff.com/">My Blog</a>
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

velobuff wrote:I considered a Sym HD200 but I've read and talked to someone that was selling his that it will go 65 on the highway but not much faster.
You may have talked to the wrong guy. Running properly and well-maintained, the HD200 should be quite a bit faster than that.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
velobuff

Post by velobuff »

ericalm wrote:
velobuff wrote:I considered a Sym HD200 but I've read and talked to someone that was selling his that it will go 65 on the highway but not much faster.
You may have talked to the wrong guy. Running properly and well-maintained, the HD200 should be quite a bit faster than that.
At 5300 feet altitude? The guy I talked to was the guy that was selling it so I figured he had a personal interest in stretching the truth to make a sale & we discussed my requirement of needing I ride the scoot on the highway near his house which he advised against (which I do daily on my people 250). There's also a difference between top speed & how fast it can get to it & if it has power to climb a hill @ that top speed @ 1 mile altitude.

I agree that for the cc's the sym is wicked fast. I'll probably consider its larger version replacement if sym can get their dealer network back up & running again. They're well built scoots.

Edit:this was a carbureted sym. Maybe the fuel injected evo is faster? Still there's no replacement or displacement. On another note, in some rates you have to have a minimum cc's to legally ride on highways/interstates.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Having made the back treks in to Boulder a few times now on my buddy 150, I can say that there are some definite hills that would make a 250 the way to go. The routes I take are fine and the buddy keeps up with power to spare, but some of the rural ways have 60mph speed limits with people going 85. Definitely beyond the scope of what the Italia is designed for.
bacchus1234

Post by bacchus1234 »

Well, I suppose that it's official now. Yesterday, I bought a 2009 Genuine Buddy 150 Saint-tropez!

I was supposed to have a friend drive me around to the two different dealers tuesday but since I had the day off, I figured that I would just go ahead and walk the 3-4 miles myself on monday. Once I got there , I spoke to a few people re: the Buddies and it sold me!

So far, I'm lovin' it!

I do have to say though that I hadn't expected the ride to be so rough on some of these roads.

I never did get to ride the SYM , but, i really think that I made the right choice for me EXCEPT that the larger wheels on the SYM might've made a big difference on rough roads.

Does anyone have any input on this point?

Other than that, it's been great. I've already put about 100 miles on it.

Thanks again to everyone for all of the opinions and help!!!!!!!!!
velobuff

Post by velobuff »

Sure larger wheels might help with rough roads but tire type, tire pressure, rider weight, suspension, seat and ear to ear grin play a large role in your perceived comfort.

I say forget about the rough roads and enjoy your new buddy! :D

Congrats!!
Syd

Post by Syd »

You may have been perfectly happy with the HD. But you will be happy with the Buddy. Congratulations on the new scoot. Stay around MB, too!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Scooterboi

Post by Scooterboi »

I got the Buddy because there is a tradeoff as you move up in wheel size between comfort and manuverability and on the buddy I can turn around in a parking space. For me, 12" to 13" wheels would be ideal but the buddy is such an exceptional machine that I was willing to go with the smaller wheels. You could get an adjustable shock fairly easily and cheaply which would let you dial in the softness you want, but (like everything else) it can be a tradeoff between comfort and handling, especially if you go cheap. I adapted by looking as far ahead as I can and <mostly> skirting around the road divots. Welcome and Enjoy!
Raiderfn311

Post by Raiderfn311 »

If I had that RV250 offered to me at that price I would buy it on the spot, but I already have a Buddy. The two are just very different.
The Edge....there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who truly know where it is have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson
scubadoobie

Post by scubadoobie »

JHScoot wrote:Also although "new" I wonder if someone can chime in on what sort of things a 2008 bike might need sooner then later on account of age / sitting? Can't age alone affect things like tires, seals, hoses, and the CVT belt? What if this 2008 SYM was manufactured in 2007? Any concerns for TS, there?
A friend of mine bought a "new" 2009 (i think) Sym 300i last fall. It had maybe 10 miles on it, but the battery (probably original) was dead within 2-3 days and wouldn't hold a charge. Believe it or not, that battery was not covered under warranty and he had to pay for a new one. Maybe I'm misguided, but despite what the warranty says I would expect that the purchase of a "new" (even if older model) scooter from a dealership would include a working battery. Not sure if this is just a questionable dealer or standard Sym policy, but be sure to negotiate a new battery if you go with the older model.
Scooting is good for the soul....

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

scubadoobie wrote:
JHScoot wrote:Also although "new" I wonder if someone can chime in on what sort of things a 2008 bike might need sooner then later on account of age / sitting? Can't age alone affect things like tires, seals, hoses, and the CVT belt? What if this 2008 SYM was manufactured in 2007? Any concerns for TS, there?
A friend of mine bought a "new" 2009 (i think) Sym 300i last fall. It had maybe 10 miles on it, but the battery (probably original) was dead within 2-3 days and wouldn't hold a charge. Believe it or not, that battery was not covered under warranty and he had to pay for a new one. Maybe I'm misguided, but despite what the warranty says I would expect that the purchase of a "new" (even if older model) scooter from a dealership would include a working battery. Not sure if this is just a questionable dealer or standard Sym policy, but be sure to negotiate a new battery if you go with the older model.
That's the dealer, not SYM. The warranty only covers defects and such. Scooters don't come with charged batteries; the dealers need to charge them. If the dealer prepped the scooter in 2009 then let it sit, it's up to them to provide a working battery.
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

ericalm wrote: That's the dealer, not SYM. The warranty only covers defects and such. Scooters don't come with charged batteries; the dealers need to charge them. If the dealer prepped the scooter in 2009 then let it sit, it's up to them to provide a working battery.
+1