Odometer Reading Incorrect?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

lisadoublevee

Odometer Reading Incorrect?

Post by lisadoublevee »

Hey guys - first time poster, long-time lurker. :D

I got my Buddy 50 back on May 12th. It was brand new from the dealer, but it had 300ish miles on the odometer. I thought nothing of it and was excited to take it home.

For some background, I don't go far on my scoot. I have ridden it on average between 2-5 days a week to/from work, which is 5 miles away. Then about twice a week, I'll ride it to/from my boyfriend's place - 7 miles away.
I've had the scooter just a little over a month and somehow the odometer is up over 3,000 miles.

I know Genuine says the speedometer is "optimistic" for safety reasons, but this seems a bit much! My concern is the scheduled maintenance, mostly. I'm unsure whether I've missed the 500mi first maint. I'm bringing it in soon, but worried I've done some damage.

So, is a way-off odometer unheard of? Thanks, guys!

I'm going to measure how much the odometer increases on my ride to/from work tomorrow
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

That seems odd.
2 Questions:
1. by some strange chance does your odometer read in kilometers instead of miles?

2. You sure the bf isn't riding that scooter behind your back?
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

That does sound like something is wrong. It's been 40 days since May 12th. Even if you rode 14 miles (roundtrip to boyfriend) on each of those days, you'd have only put 560 miles on it. Does your speedometer seem pretty close to correct? I think there's a direct correlation between speedometer and odometer.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Assuming you go to work 5 times a week at 10 miles round trip. That equals 50 miles a week and 5 weeks or 250 miles. Let's say you visit your boyfriend 10 times per week at 14 miles round trip. That's 140 miles and 5 weeks or 700 miles. So that makes 950 miles total. Are you sure you aren't forgetting all the mall/coffee/grocery/post office/mom/friend/restaurant/movie trips?

And yes, if you went 3,000 miles without doing your first service, you may have done some damage. Keep your fingers crossed and do the service immediately.
lisadoublevee

Post by lisadoublevee »

Tis very weird. I hardly have a sense of distance, but I sure wish I'd caught this sooner!

Speedometer seems fine. This is a restricted scooter, so tops it'll go 40mph down a hill.

I'm 100% positive my guy hasn't been going for joyrides. ;) He's been under my watchful eye when I'm over at his apt!

And it would be odd if this were in kms, as the speedometer is in mph... That could make sense otherwise though. I'll see if the distance in kms would make sense. I did notice my manual was talking about distance only in kms...
dsmith65

Post by dsmith65 »

Not trying to insulting, but just to be clear if you were to look at your odometer it reads 3000? Is that correct? If so what you really have is 300 miles. The number on the far right is 1/10 of a mile.

Don
MB #2349
lisadoublevee

Post by lisadoublevee »

Oh JFC, I am such a newb!

I think you hit it on the head. The odometer reads precisely 3529 right now. So that last number is 9/10ths?

lol. Thank you, thank you. I have been initiated.
dsmith65

Post by dsmith65 »

No problem, we all have these moments starting out.
MB #2349
lisadoublevee

Post by lisadoublevee »

Well thank you so much for pointing that out without being condescending! I was hoping it was something that easy.
Demo_Nic

Post by Demo_Nic »

Yay! Problem solved! Time for your first maintenance soon!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Ah yes, the far right number.

My wife originally wrote down that she had like 1004339 miles on her truck, and its an '02. I was like 'No sweetie, there is no way you have that many miles.." We argued until we went out and she pointed. Did the same thing, those are 1/10ths!

Unfortunately none of of my Mom's mechanical abilities rubbed off on me, but at least I have known about the odometer since I was a kid. I just thought we were going really fast! :P
lisadoublevee

Post by lisadoublevee »

Yup. I don't think I can top that question's newbie-ness, but I don't think I'll try either.

Unrelated, but I LOVE that you named your scoot Yoda on Fuelly! So cool.