buddy paint job

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bucky119

buddy paint job

Post by bucky119 »

I recently purchased a buddy 125 about 2 weeks ago and have been really enjoying it (put about 400 miles on it already). The previous owner was in an accident on it in 2010, someone cut her off and she laid it down going 25ish, so there was damage on the right side. Since then she didn't ride it and I came along to snatch it away for a too good to be true price. I did all the checks on it, changed all oils, spark plug, did the valve adjustment, cleaned the carb. I was never a big fan of the paint job, I really like gloss black on anything but on this scoot it wasn't doing it for me. This morning I took all plastics off and painted them flat black, being done by noon I was able to put it back together and go for a ride. Did about 50 or so miles today and decided to fill the tank up since I did exactly 100 miles since my last fill up, amazingly I got 124mpg! I'm blown away by this scoot!

Below are some pics of the makeover.

not sure if the pictures are working or not...
kungfooren

Post by kungfooren »

Looks good!
How did you paint it? spray can or something more professional?
bucky119

Post by bucky119 »

Just a spray can, actually took 2 cans of rustoleum.

Here is the video I followed for the paint job.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MsVWj3f ... ure=relmfu

worked out very very well, I even had some gloss yellow and a can of clear i tried on just a piece of metal to see what would happen, turned out fantastic. It really matters by taking the extra time doing it right I guess!
KeLynn

Post by KeLynn »

I love it! I've been wanting to paint mine, and your pics just confirmed that. It's light blue now....never what I wanted, but I found a good deal on craigslist and seemed silly to let a color get in the way.
Last edited by KeLynn on Mon May 21, 2012 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlleyOops

Post by AlleyOops »

Looks awesome! I've been considering painting mine to give it a two-tone look.. doesn't seem like it takes to long at all.
- Ally
bucky119

Post by bucky119 »

Yeah agreed, I saw this one and wasn't thrilled about color for the styling of it but that didn't stop me from buying it haha. It really didn't take as long as I was anticipating, I disassembled all panels and sanded them Saturday night (took about an hour or so) and I painted for about 4 hours on Sunday, had it put back together in 30 minutes and took a nice ride. Since there is no clear and it was about 75 here in Idaho everything dried perfectly.

The only thing I would suggest to anyone wanting to do this, leave the front fender on and also the handlebar cover, I fussed with those for so long I gave up and painted them on the scoot. As long as you tape everything up well you wont have any problems.
Jelbi

Post by Jelbi »

In case you want to do this on a Stella - Genuine Dealers have 12 ounce Aerosol cans with clear coat available for 8 Stella colors. :D
Attachments
Genuine Scooter Aerosol-kit.jpg
Genuine Scooter Aerosol-kit.jpg (5 KiB) Viewed 1444 times
rockraines

Post by rockraines »

I dropped my blackjack awhile back and wanted to sand and repaint a few body pieces, do you have to go through all the steps he showed in the video for flat black?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

rockraines wrote:I dropped my blackjack awhile back and wanted to sand and repaint a few body pieces, do you have to go through all the steps he showed in the video for flat black?
Probably not but it depends on how deep and broad the damage is and what kind of paint you can get.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Scootagangsta

Post by Scootagangsta »

red rims?
<a href="http://www.xeputu.com/">Internet Marketing</a>
ThreeSheets
Dealer

Post by ThreeSheets »

looks like you bought it that way. Great job nice and clean as well as professional looking!
<b>FLAT SQUIRREL SCOOTERS</b>
421 N. Randall Rd, Lake in the Hills, IL
www.flatsquirrelscooters.com
batgirl101

Post by batgirl101 »

looks terrific!
bucky119

Post by bucky119 »

mine had some good scratches in it from the wreck the previous owner was in. I used 300 grit paper to get it worked down and used 800 to kinda finish it, doesnt have to be perfect cause if you put enough coats on with flat black it does all the work for you. I may in the future paint it all plastidip, havent talked myself into it yet cause im really enjoying the look of the flat black, so stealthy looking.