scooter camping - locking up valuables

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BootScootin'FireFighter

scooter camping - locking up valuables

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Has anyone experienced scooter camping and had the issue of how to lock up valuables that don't fit in topcases or pet carriers? I'm trying to go to Busch Gardens and tent camp it nearby on scooters, but the amusement park lockers are tiny and super expensive. We need to lock up riding gear, our small cooker, other small stuff, you get the picture. I can't seem to find campgrounds with lockers, that's bullshit. Any suggestions, or is it a lost cause?
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

It would suck to have to carry all your gear to BG. Best I can figure is to ride the scoot there with everything loaded up and ask if there is a safe place, out of the way near the entrance with security cameras/personnel that you can park it.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

http://pacsafe.com/
Search around to find them cheaper. The above is a link to the company's website.

You may want to ask the ranger/campground owner if you could put stuff in the main office. A lot of the rangers I've come across are also riders and 'get it' when it comes to moto-camping.

That said, I have never locked up my camping gear when in an actual campground. I've been camping for a very long time, have expensive shit, and haven't ever had a problem. I simply cannot imagine someone raiding a campsite. I suppose if someone is desperate enough to break such a cardinal rule, they're much worse off than I.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Fellow campers stealing your stuff is not unheard-of, but fortunately it's never happened to me.* I mostly use the out-of-sight-no-temptation method of securing semi-valuable things when I leave my campsite. That usually means putting it in the tent, maybe hiding it in/under something, and fully zipping up the tent. Obviously that won't stop anyone intent on stealing stuff from you, but it removes the casual attraction and gives a little discouragement if they're at all concerned about being noticed by other people.

*When my tent went missing last year, that happened somewhere on the road, not at a campground.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

siobhan wrote:http://pacsafe.com/
Search around to find them cheaper. The above is a link to the company's website.

You may want to ask the ranger/campground owner if you could put stuff in the main office. A lot of the rangers I've come across are also riders and 'get it' when it comes to moto-camping.

That said, I have never locked up my camping gear when in an actual campground. I've been camping for a very long time, have expensive shit, and haven't ever had a problem. I simply cannot imagine someone raiding a campsite. I suppose if someone is desperate enough to break such a cardinal rule, they're much worse off than I.
I was going to recommend Pacsafe, but you beat me to it.

Campground theft is rampant in places. I used to camp a lot when I was avidly whitewater kayaking. Many many times we'd return to camp to find several boaters had EVERYTHING taken. Tents, packs, sleeping bags, food, coolers, EVERYTHING. It happened almost every trip. Someone or several people in the group would get hit hard.

One time, one of the guys stayed behind with a camera and actually caught some theives in the act and took photos from the woods. When they stole everything and left, he took the photos to local law enforcement. They knew exactly who the thieves were and went out and arrested them. The boaters got all their stuff back.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

k1, all I can say is "wow". Granted, I'm usually camping in the middle of nowhere unofficially or in Canada where everything is just too damn orderly. But I've also camped the last few years in a 'wild/party' state campground in CT where you'd think there could be a problem, but it hasn't happened yet. I think my head would fall off if I returned and my tent stuff was gone.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

If Busch Gardens is like any other moneymaking amusement park on the planet (let's move right past the fact that I've never been) they will have lockers you can rent at a ridiculous premium while you're in the park and that's it- they won't hold your stuff for your for free anywhere, unless it's in the lost and found.

The one time Lokky and I went camping, we took my car. He likes to try and prove to the world scooters can do anything, but tbh camping is just not something I'd do without carry space or being able to lock stuff up. I like camping but I'm not the kind of person that can take like ten things and be okay. I need a car. If I'm not semi-comfortable I can't have fun, if I'm not having fun there's no point. If I'm worrying about my stuff the whole time there's no point.

That being said, I plan on some epic camping adventures a while down the road...
TVB

Post by TVB »

LunaP wrote:tbh camping is just not something I'd do without carry space or being able to lock stuff up. I like camping but I'm not the kind of person that can take like ten things and be okay.
I'm the opposite. If I can't fit everything I'm taking for a camping trip on my back or on my scoot... I'm taking too much stuff. :)
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

LunaP wrote: The one time Lokky and I went camping, we took my car. He likes to try and prove to the world scooters can do anything
But they can!

Incidentally I was thinking about exactly that when planning this summer out and now I have no clue how to get things with me on the new moto :cry:
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Lokky wrote:
LunaP wrote: The one time Lokky and I went camping, we took my car. He likes to try and prove to the world scooters can do anything
But they can!

Incidentally I was thinking about exactly that when planning this summer out and now I have no clue how to get things with me on the new moto :cry:
Reasons you should have a scooter instead of a Bee. :lol:

I didn't say scooters can't or shouldn't camp... I just think it's too difficult and restricting to be worth it. I want the car so I can take dry foods instead of having to get there and worry about figuring out where the nearest grocery store is, I want to be able to open up the trunk and have the cooler right there, already full of ice cold cider... :D I don't take everything and the kitchen sink, but I make it convenient without being ridiculous. I don't feel like I can do that on a scoot or moto.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

How about renting a storage closet at one of those storage facilities? A months rent for the smallest unit should fall well below $30. You might even be able to contact the management and see if there's a day-to-day option (it doesn't have to be on the books). Offer them $10 or $20, it might work out.

If BG had a day long storage option for more than their average locker (you'll want the ones in the England area for all day storage) it'd easily come close to the monthly rate at a storage facility.

Another other option would be to stow your gear at a friends house, or in a companion's car.

Just some thoughts.

If you get into a bind and need secure storage, shoot me a PM. I'm an hour away (by non-highway scoot) from BG, but I'd let you stash stuff in my garage.

Also, you're a brave person to attempt BG on a holiday weekend. Good luck!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Is there s bus or train terminal anywhere around that area? They have lockers, maybe?
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
heatherkay

Post by heatherkay »

They don't have them at airports any more because of security concerns. Do they still have them at bus stations?