Did I miss a discussion about this?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Southerner

Did I miss a discussion about this?

Post by Southerner »

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2012/03/19/m ... h-america/

I do remember a thread about the concept but it appears from the above that not only is it going into production, we will be getting them over here.
phatch

Post by phatch »

That looks niiiiiiiiiiice...
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Mutt the Hoople

Post by Mutt the Hoople »

Oh that's yummy.... I need one of those. No storage though :?
96 Decibel Freaks
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

wait that's getting a production model? I thought it was strictly a concept bike?

I really don't see the lack of storage space on it working well.
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

Lokky wrote:wait that's getting a production model? I thought it was strictly a concept bike?

I really don't see the lack of storage space on it working well.
Ditto. The whole flying-in-the-air seat looks neat.

I give this 3 :fp: :fp: :fp:
» Current: 2006 Saabaru 9-2x Aero, 2006 Scion xB, Original '07 Series Italia, 2003 Marin Highway One
» Departed: 2004 Subaru WRX, 1999 1/2 VW GTI
Keys

Post by Keys »

Lack of storage space doesn't seem to detrimentally affect the sales of certain basic Harley motorcycles...
"Life without music would Bb"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The photos are concepts. The production version will have several changes. No one knows what it will look like.

What we do know is that the 3-valve engine will be stock on the LX in the near future.

The 946 will reportedly replace the LX. What's weird is that Vespa hasn't officially announced this. They've just leaked it to dealers and others.

I think, as a concept, "whatever." Wholly impractical design masturbation. Overworked. However, there are bits of it that I think could work once developed. We shall see.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
2wheelNsanity

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

Holy #@$%@. I better not let my wife see it, I'll never get my BV 350. On the other hand this might be just the ticket to get her to ride, hmm the delemma begins :wink:
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Keys wrote:Lack of storage space doesn't seem to detrimentally affect the sales of certain basic Harley motorcycles...
Or sportbikes, for that matter.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Keys wrote:Lack of storage space doesn't seem to detrimentally affect the sales of certain basic Harley motorcycles...
There's not shortage of options for Harleys, though.

The 946 is intended to replace Vespa's basic urban commuter, the LX. Lack of storage would be a problem. Inability to access the engine, also a problem. No place for a decent-sized gas tank, also a problem. Inability to hit the price point of current 150 models, also a problem. And so on.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

A jacked-up price would be a killer but the thing looks so good, I want to ignore the lack of practicality.

As regards storage, isn't it limited on the current LX model anyway?
And I believe one reviewer mentioned that you need to exercise caution with what you put in there, particularly grocery items like milk, eggs, etc.

And as I'm trying to justify, I recall that I just brought home 5 quarts of oil plus a quart of gear oil from the parts house, plus the usual stuff I bring home from work at the end of the day, all stuffed into my panniers.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

LX has fairly spacious underseat storage and a glove box (LX S has no glove box). This has a place to put your key.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Oh yeah, the glove box.

All this one seems to have is a hook.

I guess one could imitate the sportbikers and use a backpack. 8)
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

This scoot seems to be more about fashion than practicality. Sure, it looks impressive, but I don't think I'd want to buy one.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I think scooter folk are the only 2-wheeled types who ever consider practicality. :D
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

Southerner wrote:I think scooter folk are the only 2-wheeled types who ever consider practicality. :D
there is beauty in the perfect combination of form and function. us scooterists are just more refined that way. ;-D

but yea, that pic is just a concept, not a production-ready vehicle. a lot of concepts introduce wild and flashy ideas that would never make it to production due to their impractical nature or cost of manufacturing or safety. this certainly qualifies.
» Current: 2006 Saabaru 9-2x Aero, 2006 Scion xB, Original '07 Series Italia, 2003 Marin Highway One
» Departed: 2004 Subaru WRX, 1999 1/2 VW GTI
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Surely they could at least offer a glovebox as an option.

And where's the radiator?
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

I'm skeptical- so far the only thing I like is the color.
Demo_Nic

Post by Demo_Nic »

Needs adjustable seat height. :D
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

This is Italian, folks.

STYLE, not substance! :D
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

We have to remember that the pic only shows the concept bike.

Most vehicle concepts usually look completely impractical just to catch the eye of audience, but when the actually vehicle moves to the production line the looks have changed to fit the needs of the real world.

Besides Vespa knows that storage is usually the biggest draw toward scooters.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I'm bringing this back up because Piaggio Group has officially announced that the 946, among other goodies, are officially coming to North America. This from the August issue of Roadrunner Magazine but I believe I've seen it in at least one other mag recently. They didn't say when, however. The monstrous Aprilia 850 is coming as a 2013 model.

Seems like if they are looking to replace the LX with this thing, getting it into production would be a priority. I do wonder how potential LX buyers are going to look on its air-cooled engine and lack of storage. Should appeal to the vintage crowd looking for a daily driver, though.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Southerner wrote:I'm bringing this back up because Piaggio Group has officially announced that the 946, among other goodies, are officially coming to North America. This from the August issue of Roadrunner Magazine but I believe I've seen it in at least one other mag recently. They didn't say when, however. The monstrous Aprilia 850 is coming as a 2013 model.

Seems like if they are looking to replace the LX with this thing, getting it into production would be a priority. I do wonder how potential LX buyers are going to look on its air-cooled engine and lack of storage. Should appeal to the vintage crowd looking for a daily driver, though.
As a vintage scooter enthusiast, I can honestly say the new scooter look like ass. If this is the future of Piaggio, I can only assume that even more will be charged for it and if one or two actually make it to the US it will be a miracle. Piaggio and Vespa in particular have taken a Paris Hilton-like approach thinking we're going to fawn over them for simply gracing our shores with their presence and we'll take whatever junk they throw over here if they slap a Vespa badge on it and charge ungodly amounts of money.

I loved the original P-series scooters because they were stylish, simple and inexpensive. Now, they're hipster fashion accessories with the prices to match. Guess that's why I've migrated to Genuine bikes and only really have an interest in vintage scoots beyond that. Vespa has lost their way.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Don't like it. And don't take this the wrong way but its an Italian POS design. As others have already pointed out its pitfalls a thought comes to mind, maybe Charlie Sheen would like to drive it around his house.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

One would THINK that going back to air cooling would reduce the cost somewhat. They really can't justify an increased price over the LX just because it's a new model with a new body style. Flashy looks aside, it's just a stripped-down basic metal scoot.

When it comes down to actually spending money, I will continue to avoid Italian in general primarily because of the parts & service issue. It's safer to stick with Japanese, Taiwanese (with Kymco seeming to be the most nearly ubiquitous) as usual. I would have more confidence with India as well.

Still, Italian design continues to excel. It would be the fulfilment of a childhood dream to buy a Guzzi like the upcoming California but I would have to ascend several tax brackets before I would feel OK doing it.

I'd hate to be the one to tell Vespa they couldn't design a new body style. If it flops, they can drop it and either revert to something safe or try something else. There's a lot of weird and wonderful in the world of classic scoots and the newer stuff from the Far East can get pretty "out there" as well.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Seems like a bad move on Vespa's part if they substitute a bike that's selling for this. They won't know if it's the economy or the style that's keeping them from selling....that is if they don't bother to read comments like those above.

I could see bringing it on as an addition to their offerings, as I'm sure there are a few that would buy them because they are neat looking, but for those that want that size of vespa, and want a scooter that's practical...

On the bright side--sales for other manufacturers scooters that are in the same engine size will go up! :P
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I could see the design being successful if they had it made in Taiwan and sold it for somewhere around $3,599. It lacks the substance of other scoots, but could make up for it in style. However, if they come out with a typical Vespa like price of somewhere around $5,500, I see fail written all over it.

In other words, I could see a lot of people willing to give up practicality for style and name, as long as it isn't priced in the stratosphere. They would scoot around slinging a messenger bag for the coolness factor alone.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

According to some dealers who were at the annual conference, Vespa reps told them this will replace the LX.

We still haven't seen the production version, which will be unveiled this fall, I think. Hopefully some of the styling excesses will be scaled back and some of the practicality added back in.
ThreeSheets
Dealer

Post by ThreeSheets »

pretty cool
<b>FLAT SQUIRREL SCOOTERS</b>
421 N. Randall Rd, Lake in the Hills, IL
www.flatsquirrelscooters.com
susann.t

Post by susann.t »

I'm obviously alone here but that thing is UGLY
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

susann.t wrote:I'm obviously alone here but that thing is UGLY
No, you're not alone at all. I think it's over-designed and really undermines what's made the Vespa designs so iconic for decades: a balance of style and utility.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

jonlink wrote:This scoot seems to be more about fashion than practicality. Sure, it looks impressive, but I don't think I'd want to buy one.
Depends. Does it come with one of those Italian models?

Seriously, I agree with Susann.t. It's ugly (and impractical).
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

Doesn't look like a Vespa at all.
So, it's a bold move or a stupid one. I'm going with stupid.
I hate the seat.
so tough, so pink
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

Havnt seen em for scooters but another snow fun kit turns dirtbikes into snow machines.Whats cool is they have the rear track{not a wheel} that can go in about any depth of snow unlike a rear wheel.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/20/2289/M ... n-Kit.aspx
Attachments
Rear Track Replaces Wheel
Rear Track Replaces Wheel
explorer-moto-3.jpg (6.93 KiB) Viewed 1721 times
Front Ski And Rear Track
Front Ski And Rear Track
explorer-snow-bike-17.jpg (8.74 KiB) Viewed 1721 times
Aerosmith, None Other.