Should I use a dealer for maintenance?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Do you use a Genuine dealer for service?

Yes
80%
No, just whatever local shop
20%

Total votes: 10

soup

Should I use a dealer for maintenance?

Post by soup »

I need some yearly maintenance done on my Buddy 125. Do you folks generally use a Genuine dealer for that, or do you think it would be generally fine to use a random motorcycle shop?
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I use my local(ish) Piaggio dealer to service my Liberty 150 and my local Honda dealer to service my wife's Honda Silverwing. Im lazy and I dont really mind paying someone else to do it. I trust both dealers to do the work correctly and at a fair price.
johnk

Post by johnk »

I wouldn't recommend a "random" motorcycle shop, but a reputable shop will be able to do anything you'd need in terms of maintenance. In my opinion, the warranty is the strongest reason to stick to a dealer, so if you're unburdened by a warranty, feel free to play the field. Some motorcycle mechanics have a lot of experience with scooters, which you can find out with a phone call. And if anyone makes you feel like you or your scooter don't belong there, leave!
Point37

Post by Point37 »

what kind of yearly maintenance?...with some time, tools, this forum, youtube and the internet you should be able to handle most yearly maintenance yourself...otherwise go to a local shop walk into their service area just to check it out and see what they are working on...then decide
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

If you decide not to do the basic maintenance yourself I would choose the dealer. The dealer sells these scooters and is obligated to service them properly.
As others will tell you, it is very rewarding to learn to do the basic services the scooter needs. Oil change, gear oil change, checking tire pressure, and other procedures depending on the mileage. It only takes a few tools, but it does require a desire to learn how to properly do the work. I love doing it and I'm grateful for those on this site that are willing to help others. But I understand that not everyone wants to learn mechanics. And buying the tools is not a substitue for knowing how to properly use the tools. It takes time and study.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

A third option is needed in the survery question. 3) Do you do all the mechanics yourself. Am guessing that many Buddy owners do all the work themselves
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Your scoot is well out of warantee period - time and mods have taken care of that.

There's nothing special about Buddy maintenance, so a decent motorcycle or scooter shop can handle it.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

JettaKnight wrote:Your scoot is well out of warantee period - time and mods have taken care of that.

There's nothing special about Buddy maintenance, so a decent motorcycle or scooter shop can handle it.
Seconded. For routine stuff, any decent shop should be able to handle it. The only real problem you'll encounter is that parts will likely be more expensive, since they will have to buy them from the nearest Genuine Shop, and there will almost certainly be a markup.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I have used my local Piaggio/Vespa dealer to service our Buddy several times. They were not a random motorcycle shop, however. They were a scooter shop I knew well and trusted. But things have now changed a bit. We used to have 3 Piaggio/Vespa dealers in my metro area. Now we have only one, and it is also the Genuine dealer. So, what goes around, comes around.
soup

Post by soup »

Thanks everyone. I'm actually excited to learn to do basic stuff like oil changes myself (I've done that on a car), but just thought it might be good to have a pro do it this time since I'm about to take it on a 300 mile trip home. Over the weekend, I drove it here to the Dallas area from the Galveston area! I did notice a few times that the engine seems to hesitate as I mentioned on this thread:

www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=372873

It even did it once at a low speed (10 mph.) So I'm wondering if the carb needs cleaned or something, and I'm no good when it comes to carbs, lol.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Are you still on the stock carb?
Point37

Post by Point37 »

soup wrote:Thanks everyone. I'm actually excited to learn to do basic stuff like oil changes myself (I've done that on a car), but just thought it might be good to have a pro do it this time since I'm about to take it on a 300 mile trip home. Over the weekend, I drove it here to the Dallas area from the Galveston area! I did notice a few times that the engine seems to hesitate as I mentioned on this thread:

It even did it once at a low speed (10 mph.) So I'm wondering if the carb needs cleaned or something, and I'm no good when it comes to carbs, lol.
try running some seafoam in your gas tank or maybe some bg 44k and ride it around to clean the carb...also make sure you loosen your gas cap to make sure it's venting properly and you're not pulling a vacuum...if it needs a real carb clean and you are under the gun for time you may want to have a dealer do it...i have an ultrasonic cleaner that i use to clean carbs which makes it very easy

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewto ... ing#370002
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
soup

Post by soup »

Stanza wrote:Are you still on the stock carb?
Don't know. How do I tell?
soup

Post by soup »

Point37 wrote:
soup wrote:Thanks everyone. I'm actually excited to learn to do basic stuff like oil changes myself (I've done that on a car), but just thought it might be good to have a pro do it this time since I'm about to take it on a 300 mile trip home. Over the weekend, I drove it here to the Dallas area from the Galveston area! I did notice a few times that the engine seems to hesitate as I mentioned on this thread:

try running some seafoam in your gas tank or maybe some bg 44k and ride it around to clean the carb...also make sure you loosen your gas cap to make sure it's venting properly and you're not pulling a vacuum...if it needs a real carb clean and you are under the gun for time you may want to have a dealer do it...i have an ultrasonic cleaner that i use to clean carbs which makes it very easy

Interesting about the gas cap. Like, how loose should it be? Don't want it to fall off, lol.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

soup wrote:
Point37 wrote:

Interesting about the gas cap. Like, how loose should it be? Don't want it to fall off, lol.
take it for a good ride and if it sputters pull over in a quiet location and crack the gas cap and see if you hear air rushing in...or just loosen it a little a ride to see if it sputters...i'd do this first...always try the easy/cheap stuff first...

a vented gas cap isn't something a drill can't fix...or just buy the new version of the gas cap...the new version has a hole on the bottom like in the product photo i believe

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewto ... cap#194077

https://www.scooterwest.com/fuel-gas-ta ... buddy.html