Ramp?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Tomato Bisque

Ramp?

Post by Tomato Bisque »

Howdy all! I have read loads of things on here before getting my Buddy. I'm a total newbie, have permit and would like to take MSF course.

My big problem is I live in an apartment building and don't feel comfortable leaving my shiny Buddy on the streets of Hollywood at night so I try to store him in the small, gated area we have. There are two steps that must be traversed and that may not sound like much but it's DANG hard for me to wheel him up the wood ramp we lay down. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas, tips, info that could help a gal out w/lousy upper body strength.

Thanks!
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I use a folding ramp to get my bike over the curb. It gets parked at my front step after being rolled across my front lawn. Folding ramps are easier to store. I keep mine in my car trunk. My ramp is rail type and quite narrow. It is a matter of alligning the bike straight with the ramp, grabbing the handlebars and getting a bit of a rolling start. I am 5'1 and over 50 yrs old and I do not work out so it is a matter of getting the right levarage and allighnment.
Last edited by Stormswift on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
Tomato Bisque

Post by Tomato Bisque »

Thanks for responding. I guess I should add that it's a weird spot as I can't get a good running start as there's a big tree in front of the steps/entry way. So I have to make a turn to get it up there. No problem for my boyfriend but very tricky and cumbersome for me. I'm tempted to just park him on the street (with disc brake) and hope for the best. Sometimes I don't take it out at all to avoid the hassle.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Tomato Bisque wrote:Thanks for responding. I guess I should add that it's a weird spot as I can't get a good running start as there's a big tree in front of the steps/entry way. So I have to make a turn to get it up there. No problem for my boyfriend but very tricky and cumbersome for me.
If I'm picturing this correctly, it sounds like a perfect set-up for you to fall, crunch up your scooter, and maybe even get hurt. Disk locks are pretty good for stopping casual thieves. Beyond that, I'd just think about your theft insurance and leave it at that.

[EDITed: because my original post was stupid. In sane and sober reflection, it's probably best to just beef up your theft insurance and not worry about it.]
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Greetings from an ex-Hollywood dude.
Tomato Bisque

Post by Tomato Bisque »

Jrsjr- I'm with you! I'm also happy to hear disc lock is deterrent. I got insurance covering theft so maybe ill start leaving my baby on the street. Doesn't look like I have much of a choice anyway.

And howdy Drum Pro! Sure wish I were an ex-hollywooder too...
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

@ Tomato Bisque: Yeah isn't it funny how people see the glitz and glam of Hollywood, Ca. The reality is much different...(If your not super wealthy and live in the Hollywood Hills).
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I should mention that I am not just parking my Dobby next to my front step: I haven an anchor drilled into the cement of the step and a huge thick chain securing the bike to the front step. I also keep the bike covered, have disk lock with
alarm build in and use wire cable lock to immobilize rear wheel. If all else fails the bike is right under my bedroom window which should be a great concern to any thief. I am a total " grump" when I don't get my heath rest.
I am not a scooter snob.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

http://www.discountramps.com/?gclid=CPW ... PAodR1QA6g

Get some lightweight folding ones.

Get a longer wider ramp and ride it up. I use aluminum non folding ramps from tractor supply, $129. But sometimes I lock the rear wheel, pull back and stand it up, set the front wheel in the truck, then lift using the back rack to get it in.

I don't blame you, parking a scooter outside is asking for it. There is a strong market for used buddy parts in the ruckus world.
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

I store my bike (a Buddy50 before it was stolen and now a 4T Stella) in my backyard which is about three feet above the alleyway and is accessed via three steps. I fabricated a ramp about 6 feet long out of two planks and some 2x4 and got the bike up into the yard using it. With the 50, I would keep the bike running and walk alongside it while using the bike's power (via a light touch on the throttle) to get it up. I'm 6'5" so I'm able to reach everything pretty easily, so I don't know if that would work for you. I never had any accidents with it.

With the Stella I've got to push that sucker up in neutral (I don't trust my clutch control that much yet) and I've got about an eight foot run up. That gets about half the bike over the lip and onto the sidewalk. I pull in the front brake and reposition myself inside the gate and just am able to get enough leverage to get it all up in. It's a workout, but it's feasible for me.

I do plan on make a slightly long ramp with some proper bracing soon, though. The incline is just a wee too steep for my liking with the heavier bike.
Tomato Bisque

Post by Tomato Bisque »

Thanks for feedback. Maybe my title should have been"how to store scooter on street" as getting it in gated area is such a giant pain in the ass. Problem is its at a right angle as steps are directly across from large tree (who's roots are breaking up the sidewalk- another delight) and riding it up feels pretty rude as my neighbors have window RIGHT THERE and have a baby.

Also, since I have to make a sharp right turn, I need a wide, short ramp in order to get both wheels up relatively hassle free. Lugging a monstro plank of wood sucks too. I didn't think I was such a weakling! Anyway, the whole process is robbing me of Buddy fun. I think what I need to do is just find a way to store on street. Perhaps get chain and find place to lock to.

Stiltz- where and when was your Buddy stolen if you dint mind my asking?
Maximus53

Post by Maximus53 »

Tomato Bisque wrote:Thanks for feedback. Maybe my title should have been"how to store scooter on street" as getting it in gated area is such a giant pain in the ass. Problem is its at a right angle as steps are directly across from large tree (who's roots are breaking up the sidewalk- another delight) and riding it up feels pretty rude as my neighbors have window RIGHT THERE and have a baby.

Also, since I have to make a sharp right turn, I need a wide, short ramp in order to get both wheels up relatively hassle free. Lugging a monstro plank of wood sucks too. I didn't think I was such a weakling! Anyway, the whole process is robbing me of Buddy fun. I think what I need to do is just find a way to store on street. Perhaps get chain and find place to lock to.

I park my Stella in the street in Chicago and just cover it and lock the cover. If someone wants to steal your scooter they can just throw the whole thing in the back of a truck and deal with locks in the privacy of their own garage. I do however have theft insurance. I have been doing this for 3 years now, and the only issue i have had is someone knocking the scooter over with their car and scratching the cowl and denting the front fender (they were nice enough to stand it back up at least...)
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Stilts

Post by Stilts »

Tomato Bisque wrote:Thanks for feedback. Maybe my title should have been"how to store scooter on street" as getting it in gated area is such a giant pain in the ass. Problem is its at a right angle as steps are directly across from large tree (who's roots are breaking up the sidewalk- another delight) and riding it up feels pretty rude as my neighbors have window RIGHT THERE and have a baby.

It was taken right out of my back yard. It really was my fault (barring the acts of a dishonest person or two). I brought it up into the yard as normal and parked it under my porch but really had to go to the bathroom and ran inside to take care of business. ONe thing led to another and I never went back out to chain her up to the porch and put the cover on. As I opened my back door to leave the next morning I noticed that the gate was open and the ramp was extended into the alleyway.

I then woke the rest of my neighbors up with cussing and screaming. :cry:

I wont make the same mistake again. I even got a lock for the back gate and now store the ramp inside the house for further security.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Could you get a long chain and secure the Buddy to the tree that is causing you the parking trouble?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
TVB

Post by TVB »

I've found that a good lock and a good chain, secured at one end to an immovable object, and at the other end to the scooter's frame, offers a lot of deterrence to would-be thieves. In the 15 years I've lived in my neighborhood I've had three separate incidents of theft (from car and house) and they all involved failure to use locks. Despite my scooter being visible to anyone who walks by, but obscured enough to let someone work on cutting the lock or chain without being seen if they really wanted to... it hasn't happened. Most thieves are not industrious: they're opportunists; if you make them work at it, they'll look for an easier mark. This approach isn't 100% protection, but it's maybe 98% and that's been good enough for me.
Tomato Bisque

Post by Tomato Bisque »

Stilts you have my condolences- that really sucks. I've had my car stolen, broken into, etc. and it's a horrible feeling.

Looks like I'll be in the market for a mambo sized chain! thanks all...
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Park it at Arclight overnight and walk home? Okay, walking Hollywood at night kind of sucks sometimes, too but there are several garages where you might be able to get away with this. For a while. Maybe.

You basically want two types of deterrents: Physical ones, making it hard to move or steal, and visual ones, which help keep people from messing with it in the first place.

So I'd recommend a 2 or 3 stage solution. First would be a freakin' huge chain like this one: http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Pages/Pro ... ber=999492

Comes in various lengths. IF you have a post or pole or anything you can chain the scoot to, this would be the chain to use.

Second, a Xena alarm lock. (MB members get a 15% discount!) Be sure to add a reminder cable. This goes from the lock to your handlebar. Both a visual deterrent and keeps you from riding off with the lock attached.

Third, a cover. This will help keep it clean and keep the plastics in good shape, too.

Buddys are notoriously easy to steal. Light, can be lifted into a truck by two people. We don't get many thefts in LA compared to some cities, but I'd still be nervous about parking overnight on the streets in Hollywood.

AND, if you see someone riding around the 'hood on a red Stella or light blue Vespa LX with checkers on the side, say hi. I'm riding around here every weekday.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Tomato Bisque

Post by Tomato Bisque »

Hey neighbor!

I have a trimax disc lock/cable and a cover we picked up when we bought it but I gotta get the mambo chain if I'm gonna leave him outside- that's for dang sure. I see that NoHo Scooters is having a "blowout/closing sale" on supplies April 6th- hopefully I can nab some stuff there? I've never been, got my buddy at Route 66 as NoHo stopped selling scooters.

Spotted a dandy blue Vespa couple of weeks ago on Melrose- maybe the Foundry? If it was you, we were super impressed!

thank you kindly for the tips. I go to gym at Arclight so you might see me around (looking untidy and probably grumpy)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'll be at the NoHo sale. Those guys are all great and I'm sad to see them go. :cry:

If you ever want to come ride with the world's least threatening gang, check out our Meetup group: http://www.meetup.com/LAScooterGroup/
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Scooterboi

Post by Scooterboi »

If you are going to go kryptonite you might as well spend the extra $20 and get the long NY Noose.

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Pages/Pro ... ber=999546

The advantage is it can be used as a simple chain or you can use the "Noose" and get a whole lot more reach. Better value and a lot more useful imo. Good Luck! 8)
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I am not a scooter snob.
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Congrats on your new Buddy. I second the opinion of the poster who expressed concern about hurting yourself (or your scooter) trying to push it up steps. As someone who has had surgery on both shoulders for hurting them over the years, it's no joke! I can't say which lock is best as I've only had my Buddy a few months and keep it garaged, but I do think a cover would deter thieves since they wouldn't know what is under it. Good luck.

BTW, posters, what do you think of the MasterLock Python cable lock? That's what my dealer sold me. How safe is it for locking up during the day at transit stations, grocery stores, etc?
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Security is always difficult with scooters on open street and parking lots. In Phoenix, auto-theft isn't just a problem... it's a hobby for most criminals here :roll:

Granted my solution was to find a place where I could park my bike inside my livingroom, so that may of been a bit of an extreme solution. But at least the complex I live in is very bike friendly, and they even made special motorcycle parking for bikes which was nice.

I can't agree more with what ericalm and the rest of said about a sturdy lock, a cover, and obvious viewing angles. When I had to park at street level, I made sure it was in line-of-sight and easy to get to with plenty of public visibility (not that it stops car thieves here. They even steal police cars)
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Scooterboi

Post by Scooterboi »

Not a big fan of cables but the MasterLock Python looks to be a good one. The problem is cable cutters are relatively cheap and available.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100630648? ... VRB2qWcdyU

On the really good cables (braided steel, armored, etc.) such as the Python it may ruin the cutter but at $40 a pop it still is a quick (2 seconds) and cheap way to steal a scooter.

Chains require much more robust methods to break. Regardless, a battery powered angle grinder can bust a chain in a minute or so. Just requires more $$ and more time.

Nothing is impregnable, just more inconvenient (for both the owner and the thief.) YOU have to decide which deterrent is most applicable to your situation. In a low crime-rate area, and for short duration, cables are a great deterrent. High crime rate, overnight, and as your main storage spot, I wouldn't do it.

I go with the three layer approach. Column lock, Disk lock/alarm, Kryp Lock and chain (identified above). Column lock at work, but then I have secure parking available. Disk lock when I am "out and about" and likely to be parked for more than an hour and/or in a "bad" spot. Kryp lock/chain on the bike (wheel to wheel) for "bad" spots but no more than a couple of hours. More than that I pick a place I can run the chain through the frame of the bike to a non-movable non-lift-overable object. Helps to have a plan. :nerd: :nerd:

Enjoy! (and have good theft insurance. :wink: )
Tomato Bisque

Post by Tomato Bisque »

thanks everyone for your feedback. I'll be on the lookout for this stuff. Nice to have a community like this as I'm totally out of my depth in a lot of this.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Tomato Bisque wrote:thanks everyone for your feedback. I'll be on the lookout for this stuff. Nice to have a community like this as I'm totally out of my depth in a lot of this.
All of my stuff was bought on line from either motorcyclesuperstore.com or cyclegear.com
I am not a scooter snob.