Stick on reflectors

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

azbrewer

Stick on reflectors

Post by azbrewer »

Anyone having trouble with the reflectors falling off. I was giving my Stella a bath and realized that the reflector on the front fender was cocked (I could see where it was originally at) and then found the other side completely gone. Seems that the self sticky on the back was weak and that the reflectors had slid down, one totally off. Is this a warranty item?
Tom

Post by Tom »

I'm not sure. You could probably find some stronger glue to replace them with if you want them. I was relieved when mine came off on a hot day. I wanted to remove them, but after peeling those awful stickers I was concerned that it was going to take some serious effort. I pulled the stella logos on the same hot afternoon, they were just as easy to remove.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Alcohol pads work great for getting the "sticky" off. The ones the are used in the hospital to give shots. Don't know about what glue to get for putting the reflectors on though. LML REALLY needs better quality controll....
lempira

Post by lempira »

reflectors? we don't need no stinkin' reflectors!
azbrewer

Post by azbrewer »

My wife likes her bling, and the scooter bling is far cheaper than what else she has her eye on. So scooter bling it is. So far we have front and rear racks, front bumpers, rear cowl protectors, windshield and a sidecar. The sidecar has not been intsalled as of yet because she needs to do her motorcycle driving test and with a sidecar that would be almost impossible to do.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Yep.... both mine fell off the front fender within the first few hundred miles.
I just used some rubbing alcohol to clean up the sticky stuff & did not bother to replace them
Maximus53

Post by Maximus53 »

ScootLemont wrote:Yep.... both mine fell off the front fender within the first few hundred miles.
I just used some rubbing alcohol to clean up the sticky stuff & did not bother to replace them
Both!?! Mine only came with one.... I must have lost one at the factory :lol:

Not that it matters since the other one has been removed anyway
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Maximus53 wrote:
Both!?! Mine only came with one.... I must have lost one at the factory :lol:

Not that it matters since the other one has been removed anyway
Yep - mine had one on each side
Alexis Ford

Post by Alexis Ford »

If you wanted to replace them permanently, I would suggest using epoxy but be very careful/meticulous and wear gloves since once stuck - they're stuck for life.
xTomBx

Post by xTomBx »

I couldn't WAIT to remove my reflectors!
Of course, to remain "visible", I intalled custom reflective vinyl stickers :)
Lovelandstella

yup

Post by Lovelandstella »

one of mine came off and I can gaurantee it's from the sun and sun damage per the warranty is not covered so I didn't even ask
- I imagine that anything heavy, stuck with sticky stuff (that is not industrial strength super glue), stuck to a "smallish" piece of metal like the front wheel cover or "fender", and left out in the sun (say 5 days a week in the parking lot while I am at work) it will become heated to the point of losing some or most of it's stickiness and if the weight of the item is heavy enough (like the thick plastic reflectors we are talking about) the item will slide a bit and sometimes come off completely.

once it comes off you can see it s a "sticker" item of stickiness technology and not a "glued on" part.

anyway I'm not too worried about it. but I am also not suprised.
I still have all the rest of mine.

but I am concerned with visibility- but I simply wear enough reflective gear for that small piece of plastic 1 foot off the ground now being missing on one corner of the scoot (the same corner with a headlight), for it not to make a big difference.
Last edited by Lovelandstella on Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
Scalpel

Re: yup

Post by Scalpel »

Lovelandstella wrote:...but I am concened with visibility- but I simply wear enough reflective gear for that small piece of plastic 1 foot off the ground now being missing on one corner of the scoot (the same corner with a headlight) to not make a big difference.
Red retro-reflective tape: http://www.shop3m.com/75346696844.html
Author of <a href="http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... 10921">The International Donut Debacle</A>
Sgtstadanko

Post by Sgtstadanko »

one of mine fell off the other day, so i just pulled them both off. once you get the pads off you can spray adhesive remover on it. I used the Turtle Wax sticker removal spray from the automotive section at walmart. Glue came right off.
Sgtstadanko

Post by Sgtstadanko »

one of mine fell off the other day, so i just pulled them both off. once you get the pads off you can spray adhesive remover on it. I used the Turtle Wax sticker removal spray from the automotive section at walmart. Glue came right off.
3angieyou

Post by 3angieyou »

I hated the things and removed them almost immediately. A hair dryer and some elbow grease did the trick. Used the 3M sticker remover stuff to clean up afterwards.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

For sticking things like this (lightweight, such as badges) back on, I like silicone adhesive. Forms a nice bond, cleans up easily, but doesn't mar the paint and can be easily removed.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Nettar

Post by Nettar »

A few drops of superglue work great.
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

ericalm wrote:For sticking things like this (lightweight, such as badges) back on, I like silicone adhesive. Forms a nice bond, cleans up easily, but doesn't mar the paint and can be easily removed.
+1 on the silicone. It grips well, and is reversible.
steevo

Post by steevo »

This is added protection but there is a company where I live that sell
these mostly aimed at cyclists... http://www.ridewithfiks.com/collections/products
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

Fender reflectors? Mine didn't even have residue where they could of been....
Id like to get a set of tyreflies (those led colored valve stem lights ) that turn on through centrifical force as the wheel spins....
craftynerd

Post by craftynerd »

One fell off my husband's Stella before he even bought it - we were poking around the scooter shop and one of the front reflectors was on the floor. He pulled the other one off as soon as he bought it, it came off pretty easily and any extra adhesive came off with some Goo Gone. (Getting them back on, though, that may be a different story.)