What engine is R50

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bdiesel570

What engine is R50

Post by bdiesel570 »

What minarelli engine is the R50? I have been looking for parts and I want to make sure I am ordering the right clutch and stuff.
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

The RH50 uses the Minarelli Horizontal 50. There's a good NCY clutch and I've heard Malossi makes one as well.
bdiesel570

Post by bdiesel570 »

How are the Hoca carburetors? I can get a Hoca for about 100 or a Malossi 21mm for 230..is the difference really that big?

I was looking at Dr Pulley HiT clutch and other stuff. and a prima exhaust any suggestions?
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

Well, here's a few things I've got slated for my build...

Stage6 Pro 70 exhaust (best power band you can get if you go for the 70cc BBK)
Malossi MHR 70cc BBK w/ 12mm sleeve and new crankshaft

Debating on either a Makuni or Malossi 21mm carb. I've never had a chance to really tune the HOCA on a 2T, most of the HOCA carbs I've seen were on the GY6-clone china bikes. Makuni and Malossi on the other hand, I've done many of them, so if you are familliar with the setup, go for it. Just keep in mind the size may be listed as one, but the actual throughput from intake to outlet may be different. A good example, have a look at most Makuni carbs.

Clutch is either going to be a Malossi Delta MHR with the overdrive variator, the Dr Pulley Hit Clutch, or the Stage6. Not sure if there is a size restriction yet... still waiting to hear from the vendors.

Obviously I'm building a prostreet/racing setup... so I'm doing some extra legwork before really starting to order. In a couple weeks, I'm going to pull the engine and do a full work up if I have enough time.
SuperCyclone.81

Post by SuperCyclone.81 »

That sounds awesome man, its gonna be a beast haha.
bdiesel570

Post by bdiesel570 »

You can buy the pipe and run it before doing a BBK right on a the scooter? I like the stage6 exhaust, that shit will be awesome I think.
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

You can buy the pipe prior to a BBK, just keep in mind you would have to tune the setup multiple times. This would more than likely include a bigger jet, heavier rollers, different contra spring etc. It's worth it if you are learning how to do the tuning/tweaking.

Yeah... it may sound crazy, but I'm hoping I can get it below the 8 second quarter mile when it's all said and done.
bdiesel570

Post by bdiesel570 »

Ok I am going to order that stage6 pro 70 I just want to learn to tune and tweak myself

eventually will get a bbk and bigger carb once I have more money.
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

You should be aware of something before you do go ahead with your order.

I've found the engine of the RH50 is extremely close to the 140QMB (aka Minareli Horizontal 49cc), but there are some very minor differences here and there. It may take a small bit of modification to the exhaust... but nothing a local exhaust shop couldn't fix in a few minutes. If the exhaust is a direct bolt up without modifying, awesome, I'd like to verify that.
bdiesel570

Post by bdiesel570 »

ya I haven't ordered yet, still deciding on what to get, trying to look over reviews. Hmm, I wish they had shit just made for genuine I know its a minarelli just wish they made specific shit.

makes my life difficult
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

If you are able to wait about a month or so, it is one of the parts I'm slated to order for my build. There are probably two other pipes I'll be ordering to verify fitment. The only cost I will be out is shipping it back. I have a fantastic welder willing to work with me on the Stage6, so it should be interesting when it is all said and done.
bdiesel570

Post by bdiesel570 »

What is the best oil to run in the engine? I will wait a month to hear how the exhaust works
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

Any dino oil that can go to 100:1 mix is fine. I personally like synthetics after 1000 miles. I like to use Royal Purple, AMSOil, or even Bel Ray. The key factors are to look for the supported mix of 100:1 ratio. Some of the cheap brands you will find buildup when doing a teardown. If you build up your engine quite a bit, you will have to plan for rebuilds. Using good quality oil will extend the life quite a bit.
bdiesel570

Post by bdiesel570 »

Wha about engine oil? 10w40?
gitsum79

Post by gitsum79 »

bdiesel570 wrote:Wha about engine oil? 10w40?
oh-oh

A two-stroke engine does not use four-stroke engine oil. Gear oil in the transmission and two-stroke oil in the oil tank. The oil tank has to be refilled and cannot be allowed to run out.

Below is a link to a forum that might be helpful before doing any upgrades?

http://49ccscoot.proboards.com
bdiesel570

Post by bdiesel570 »

Thats what i thought. Just waa making sure when i used to ride quads they were 2 stroke but used oil in the engine gmm
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

bdiesel570 wrote:Thats what i thought. Just waa making sure when i used to ride quads they were 2 stroke but used oil in the engine gmm
say what?
bdiesel570

Post by bdiesel570 »

Nervermind im retarded.
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

It's okay man... we've all been there.
bdiesel570

Post by bdiesel570 »

actually im not retarded, I am just new to scooters haha. I did use 4T oil in my banshee, we just didn't use gear oil. I figured that you had to use a different oil other than the premix.

the banshee was 2T but I used 4T oil in the crankcase. Whatever scooters are different.

So I changed the oil in the crankcase and I think I put the correct amount in I don't want to overfill so the seals blow up. I drained it then added 100cc to the crankcase. hopefully that wasnt to much
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

bdiesel570 wrote: .....the banshee was 2T but I used 4T oil in the crankcase. Whatever scooters are different.

:shock: I've used anything from a weed eater up to MC and 2T is 2T. You may have used 4T oil in the gear housing, but I find it hard to believe you put 4T in the crank. Scooters are no different other than the fact that some you still premix and some have auto injection for the 2T oil.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
bdiesel570

Post by bdiesel570 »

Ya i am just learning to tune stuff now. I rode quads when i was like 12 so i am trying to recall what i did to it. My neighbor did the honeing of the cylinders and he put new heads and stuff on it i didnt do the work i just watched. Now i get to learn to tune on my scoot. This forum
Is extremely helpful! Thanks for the advice
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Did you change your gear oil? 90-100cc is fine. If you over filled there is a small weephole that will drip gear lube all over your rear tire... I have no 1st hand knowledge of this at all :oops:
EZPZ #65
bdiesel570

Post by bdiesel570 »

sweeeet thanks no weepage!
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

Just wanted to post an update real quick. The stage6 70 pro has been ordered. Once I get it in, I'll be taking it to a local shop to make sure everything is going to mate up correctly. Not sure if I will need to fab up a shim plate, but if one is needed, I'll get you a price quote to have one made.
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

So the Stage6 is out. I've been digging for quite a while to find one and my order has been cancelled at five different locations, noone has them available anymore. Stage6 has said they will not have any more stock until they have a large batch pre-ordered. So then, moving on the next best one I can find, LeoVince HM 70. If that one doesn't work, I'll be moving on to the Technigas RS2 pipe. I know for a fact the Technigas pipe is a direct fit though. The only recommendation would be to use a better exhaust gasket and possibly do a port matching for optimum performance.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

You have to be careful with the Technigas, even though the pipe fits the retention bracket may not.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

I shouldn't have a problem with that. I can fabricate brackets.
Maker

Post by Maker »

Can you fabricate that front headlight guard I liked so much? Lol
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

Well, my cuts are not that clean... and I can do simple brackets. I have a guy locally who has access to a full billet CNC machine. So if I pay for the aluminum, the hour it takes to set up and cut most parts, and pay the guy for his work, I can get almost anything made. The only problem is the cost is a bit much for a single run on anything. What I'm hoping, is I will be able to find a simple (albeit much better than the prima) exhaust with minor modification needed where I can make such a bracket and bring the luvins to the rest of you guys here. If I can get the modded bracket made cheap enough, I might be able to get a really good cost to those interested.
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

So this looks promising. I found a Leo Vince HM 70 that will more than likely direct bolt with the exception of the angle of the mounting bracket. Granted it's expensive, but way better than the Prima pipe.

https://www.leovinceusa.com/schematics/ ... T-7414.pdf

I've been talking with a rep and they don't even know if it will work with another Minarelli engine or not. Originally made for the Yamaha Zuma, it may only need a change in the bracket to get it to work. I'm going to talk with my fabricator and see if I can make this happen. Once I get working mount, I'm going to get back in touch with the guys at LV to see about creating a bracket for this pipe so it can be available at a larger volume. While I'm waiting for this exhaust to come in... something else was at my door tonight.
Attachments
Malossi 70cc MHR
Malossi 70cc MHR
IMG_20120629_221203.jpg (76.3 KiB) Viewed 3496 times
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Looking at the LV pipe schematics you supplied you may have more than just the bracket to contend with. The bend off the exhaust port doesn't look right and may need to be curved more to help the angle match. Some parts off a Zuma do a direct match-up to the RH50 but I don't think the exhaust is going to be one of them.

Have you considered a custom made pipe (made from scratch)?
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

I have thought about the made from scratch route... I don't think it would fit the bill for me though. Not to mention, I'm trying to help others find a cost effective way to get a decent pipe that will work well without breaking the bank. Don't know about you, but I'd rather not get the prima pipe after reading some of the long term reviews... may as well just go the custom route in the first place.
Stinkdyr

Post by Stinkdyr »

agrogod wrote:You have to be careful with the Technigas, even though the pipe fits the retention bracket may not.
Tru dat, AgroGod!! I just found out the hard way that the bracket holes on this pipe are an inch off....for my 2009 RH50:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tecnigas-Silent ... 1268948774

Be warned.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Hey Stinkdyr, with that bracket did you find the top fits perfect and the bottom is off? And from the looks of it you went with the Silent Sport. How is the performance on that.
After 4yrs. of PA. winters and road salts its apparent that I will be running into weld failures at some point in the future. Just want to get a secondhand review of that model so I can decide on a replacement.
Stinkdyr

Post by Stinkdyr »

Hi Agro,

Neither bracket hole lined up well enough to use as is. Since the lower hole was closest, I went at it with a round file to enlarge/migrate the hole a bit NorthEast so the bolt would fit back in. Had to add a metal sleeve behind the bracket to keep the distance right.

It works fine, quite loud, added 5% power. But I would not recommend it. Too much trouble for the slight increase in power. And I don't like it being so loud. But the price was right.
Stinkdyr

Post by Stinkdyr »

Further to this change in exhaust pipe, now in the dead of winter, my engine is bogging when I try to accelerate. I suspect the air/fuel mix is too lean due to the new pipe, exacerbated by the dense cold winter air.

So this weekend I will take steps to richen the mix to counteract the pipe mix-leaning effect. (oh, and since the shop snapped off the head of the air fuel mix adjuster screw, that can't be used)...so I will try to adjust via the metering needle that sits above the main jet. Wish me luck.