Recommendations for buddy saddlebags?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Aguacate

Recommendations for buddy saddlebags?

Post by Aguacate »

anybody have a good/bad experience with saddlebags? I don't care if they are dry bags fwiw.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

http://www.tractorsupply.com/saddle-acc ... ag-5046734

I use this, designed for horses, but work just fine for the occassional use. Can't beat the price. If you plan to use everyday, I'd find something more up for the elements.

There are also numerous threads related to saddlebags on the forum you can browse through.
pumpedoncaffeine

Post by pumpedoncaffeine »

I have been looking at buying a set also. I am looking at this set from Leather Up.

I have purchased from them before and was pleased with the quality and service. They also have a coupon going right now for an additional 10% off with coupon code SUMMER2.
smarkum

Post by smarkum »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:http://www.tractorsupply.com/saddle-acc ... ag-5046734

I use this, designed for horses, but work just fine for the occassional use. Can't beat the price. If you plan to use everyday, I'd find something more up for the elements.

There are also numerous threads related to saddlebags on the forum you can browse through.
Any chance of getting a pic of those bags on your scoot?
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

I had some of the Prima saddle bags before someone CUT THEM OFF while I was in class :evil: Thankfully I didn't have anything of worth in there but when I had them they did the job quite well. Not very retro-esque, but the Rattler wasn't anything of beauty and more aggro so it was fine. They're a very neutral bag and did the job. Not a bad price either.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

I also had the Prima saddlebags... they retail for like 150, and if I had to pay retail for them, I would have gone with something else, but as luck would have it I got them for 1/3 the price from somebody on CL. I like them a lot. They survived the crash btw, if that speaks anything about them. I found, though, that without a decent weight in them and without crashbars to strap them to, they flap some at high speeds. They also started to rub my finish a bit, we're going to line the back of the bags with felt or something so they can't rub anymore. I imagine that could happen with any brand bags, though.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

LunaP wrote:I also had the Prima saddlebags... they retail for like 150, and if I had to pay retail for them, I would have gone with something else, but as luck would have it I got them for 1/3 the price from somebody on CL. I like them a lot. They survived the crash btw, if that speaks anything about them. I found, though, that without a decent weight in them and without crashbars to strap them to, they flap some at high speeds. They also started to rub my finish a bit, we're going to line the back of the bags with felt or something so they can't rub anymore. I imagine that could happen with any brand bags, though.
I lied.

This is another call for anybody's experience with saddlebags that can take a better beating than that. We definitely need sturdier ones... the Primas were nice and roomy and well designed, but when it came down to it, they just couldn't handle it.

Lokky rode my Primas, which I bought slightly used, salvaged from the crash with scuffs and a tear (not located on a seam), to Amerivespa and back... and apparently that was all they could take, they barely made it back. They are completely falling apart along the top seams and zippers- in other words, they are falling apart in a manner in which it isn't even realistic or practical to attempt repairing them.

So, I am going to research saddlebags and look through everything linked and said here one more time. We had plans to plaster those things in patches from all kinds of places we'd been...

This is another call for anybody's experience with saddlebags that can take a better beating than that. We definitely need sturdier ones... the Primas were nice and roomy and well designed, but when it came down to it, they just couldn't handle it. 8)
La

saddlebags

Post by La »

LunaP,

I think that I might have already steered you wrong once on knee pads that fit me great but you and Lokky not so much. So, take my thoughts with a grain of that bitter salt. I found my regular old motorcycle tourmaster saddle bags at Cyclegear. I like them because I fixed it so that I can just close the scooter seat over the adjustable band and they can fit a variety of bikes. They go on easy and have a layer of neoprene covering the scooter cowls. I use them for groceries: I just open the scooter seat, unclick the front and back attachment straps, grab the handles and go. If by chance you are scooting by a Cyclegear, go in and check out what they have and ask to take it out to your scooter to see how they will fit. I have found them to be very good that way. Good luck!
LunaP

Re: saddlebags

Post by LunaP »

La wrote:LunaP,

I think that I might have already steered you wrong once on knee pads that fit me great but you and Lokky not so much. So, take my thoughts with a grain of that bitter salt. I found my regular old motorcycle tourmaster saddle bags at Cyclegear. I like them because I fixed it so that I can just close the scooter seat over the adjustable band and they can fit a variety of bikes. They go on easy and have a layer of neoprene covering the scooter cowls. I use them for groceries: I just open the scooter seat, unclick the front and back attachment straps, grab the handles and go. If by chance you are scooting by a Cyclegear, go in and check out what they have and ask to take it out to your scooter to see how they will fit. I have found them to be very good that way. Good luck!
Oh no no no! I had already tried and sent back those kneepads when that thread started, I was just trying to say that I thought the 'one size fits all' was crap, and I didn't even feel like they were a good standard size because they didn't even fit Lokky (I knew they might not fit me when I got them). I wish they had fit me, it sure might've helped my leg out.

I'm not scooting anywhere anytime soon... whatever we get will be going on Lokky's Stella, I'm just doing the R&D for it, haha. I'll check into Tourmaster's stuff, I like Tourmaster/Cortech, it sounds like what you have is really easy to put on... he also wants to look into Givi, apparently (but I didn't know they made bags, I've only heard of their topcases...). I think whatever we get we may want to be able to attach to his Buell Blast, somehow, also... that may be a challenge, though.
La

Post by La »

LunaP,

I agree about the knee pads, universal sizing is ridiculous. I had to get the youth version in order to fit my chicken legs, and I am no yout.

I suspect that motorcycle saddlebags will be your best choice when the time comes. I guess in the meantime it will be a good focused reason to strike up conversations with a wide array of bikers, always fun!
Aguacate

Post by Aguacate »

Luna, I look forward to reaping the benefits of your R&D! Please post :)
Oparu

Post by Oparu »

I have a blog and video review of the Formosa saddlebags. The best part about them is that they don't look expensive so most people won't want to steal them. :lol:

http://youtu.be/frgIU0rEgB8
Aguacate

Post by Aguacate »

the Formosa Saddlebags look great for grocery getting! I am thinking I would like something that I can carry easily off the scoot to bring stuff to work/gym with, but I would be OK with buying another set :wink:
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

I gotta put in my two cents for the Cortech Sport saddlebags. I got them on the recommendation from BoneGirl a few years back, and they're terrific. My only complaint is they're not waterproof; easily solved by putting my stuff into trash compactor bags (the BEST trashbags for waterproofing as they're small and super-thick).

My favorite thing about them is that they curve up so you don't have to worry about the left side touching the pipe (hence the "sport" part of the name).

Check on craigslist for used. They run about $126 new.

Here's a pic so you have an idea of how they look.
Coffeejunkie

Post by Coffeejunkie »

I love my GIVI saddle bags; they can hold an entire two weeks worth of groceries.
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

http://javascoots.wordpress.com/